Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Desmond's sons to bring Five Guys to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Noblong wrote: »
    I heard if you don't leave a tip they chase you.

You heard wrong

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

So everything is cooked in peanut oil? Ffs...
    Anaphylaxis shock right across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 WeirdBren

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Fantastic burgers and chips. Never dreamed we would get them in Ireland. Didn't even know they were in the UK.

Does anyone know if their UK restaurants are as nice as the American ones? Want to know how close to the American one we'll get over here.

Exactly the same, you'd actually think you were in America.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Bump...

So there are now three Five Guys outlets in Dublin - the very first one in Dundrum, South Great George’s St and Blackrock.

I’d heard all the hype about Five Guys - how incredible the burgers were, how tasty their chips were etc and how pricey it was. Well, I finally decided to give the place a try with a friend this evening. It was meh.

Burger was nice - a good bit nicer than MaccyDs, large portion of chips were tasty and huge - but €32.50 for a hamburger, small burger, large chips, small chips and two drinks is exorbitant.

Not worth a return trip at that price. Decor was also very very basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Over priced over cooked over salted ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Crap food, lousy ambience, over priced. A masterclass in separating idiots from their money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Crap food, lousy ambience, over priced. A masterclass in separating idiots from their money.
    Like that Doughnut place in Blanchardstown, A fool and his money etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What kind of ambience do you expect from a burger joint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Like that Doughnut place in Blanchardstown, A fool and his money etc....

Busiest Krispy Kreme in the world. I was in Blanchardstown Saturday and the queue was out the door and well into the car park. Why would you bother for a doughnut and a coffee. I don't get it :-/

Similar to Dominoes in Tallaght a few years back which was the busiest in the world. Is it some kind of pschological side effect of the famine?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

Never heard of it, but I'd love a Popeye's Chicken restaurant to come to Ireland. Best fried chicken ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What kind of ambience do you expect from a burger joint?

Go eat in Bunsen, then eat in Five Guys.

See which one you were more inclined to relax and take your time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Busiest Krispy Kreme in the world. I was in Blanchardstown Saturday and the queue was out the door and well into the car park. Why would you bother for a doughnut and a coffee. I don't get it :-/

Similar to Dominoes in Tallaght a few years back which was the busiest in the world. Is it some kind of pschological side effect of the famine?

Set up an American fast food franchise in a working class area and you can't lose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Best fried chicken ever made.

Not, that would be Publix chicken .... *drool* ....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, I must not be the only one who gave Five Guys a try - and decided that at the obscene prices they were charging for their overpriced fare, it just wasn't worth the bother to make a return visit.

Five Guys' Ireland operation posts a loss for their annual operating accounts:

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/restaurant/company-operates-five-guys-ireland-records-loss-e1-1m-89981

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Go eat in Bunsen, then eat in Five Guys.

The one time I ate in Bunsen over lunch I found the music too intrusive and the table cramped. Didn't entice me to hang around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The one time I ate in Bunsen over lunch I found the music too intrusive and the table cramped. Didn't entice me to hang around.

What would you know about lunch :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, I must not be the only one who gave Five Guys a try - and decided that at the obscene prices they were charging for their overpriced fare, it just wasn't worth the bother to make a return visit.

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/restaurant/company-operates-five-guys-ireland-records-loss-e1-1m-89981

I've tried it once on Deliveroo when I was desperately hungover

It was fantastic I have to admit, but not good enough to justify the price versus others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Earthhorse wrote: »

“Rick’s Burger” have changed their chips, they’ve moved away from those awful “Abra-Kebabra” ones to much better ones.

The place really is an underrated “gem”. Great burgers, nice chips and a drink for around €8, can’t argue with that.

I’m aware that some people may have issues with the fact that the meat is “halal”, and spread malicious rumours of poor quality and taste, but that’s just nonsense, it really is very good.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Like I said originally , before it opened here..
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The problem with a place like Five Guys opening in Ireland is that it'll cost too much..

Five Guys in the US makes sense - A really (really) nice Burger,Fries & a drink(with unlimited free refills) for about €6-€7....oh, and as many monkey nuts as you can carry!!

But here.......It'll be the better part of €20, which for a Burger is f***ing stupid....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ireland loves its fast food fads recently from burritos to asian street food to deluxe burgers. In the last couple years we're coming down in burger places and I'd imagine they competing at that same Shake Shack / Five Guys market that has succeeded so well elsewhere.

I can see why they aren't doing well when all these local places can match and surpass the US chain they've copied. When I was in the states I finally tried Chipotle I thought it wasn't near as good compared to Boojum who clearly copied their model. Likewise as Ireland has great beef and local places are touting local ingredients and local butchers I'd imagine it's trivial to surpass them in quality the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not only was I unimpressed by Five Guys burgers but I was told under no circumstances to order more than one fries because they were huge. I trusted them as these were family who know I eat maintenance calorie (2400kcal for me) OMAD (One meal a Day-Intermittent Fasting). So I order one large fries to share......and as soon as I saw them knew I could eat them all myself and absolutely did not want to share. Even after my half share my mouth was pickled by the outrageous amount of salt.....and I love my salt and salt TF out of everything.

First and last visit to Five Guys for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

“Rick’s Burger” have changed their chips, they’ve moved away from those awful “Abra-Kebabra” ones to much better ones.

The place really is an underrated “gem”. Great burgers, nice chips and a drink for around €8, can’t argue with that.

I’m aware that some people may have issues with the fact that the meat is “halal”, and spread malicious rumours of poor quality and taste, but that’s just nonsense, it really is very good.

Abrakebabra was a place that I had written off, but found myself ordering from one last year after I had pulled in at one of those service stations on the M8 for a piss.

I was impressed. Lovely hot chips, a freshly-cooked burger with proper melted cheese, and a slightly spicy burger sauce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Abrakebabra was a place that I had written off, but found myself ordering from one last year after I had pulled in at one of those service stations on the M8 for a piss.

I was impressed. Lovely hot chips, a freshly-cooked burger with proper melted cheese, and a slightly spicy burger sauce.

Taco Kebabs are top notch along with Taco fries in Abrekebabra. Well the one i go to anyway. Especially if you are hungover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Taco Kebabs are top notch along with Taco fries in Abrekebabra. Well the one i go to anyway. Especially if you are hungover

Last time I got abrakebabra was a letdown. Too much horseradish and as for the meat I managed more substantial shavings with a blunt planer back in woodwork

Hold up, that was at least 8yr ago. Got me lusting for a kebab now...stupid; sexy abrakebabra........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is the losses not down to expansion mostly? Not sure it’s related to custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Last time I got abrakebabra was a letdown. Too much horseradish and as for the meat I managed more substantial shavings with a blunt planer back in woodwork

Hold up, that was at least 8yr ago. Got me lusting for a kebab now...stupid; sexy abrakebabra........

I would have had them written off as well, dude. The sort of place you’d only visit if all the other fast food places were packed after a match or something.

Give them another go. The burger was lovely. I only order a kebab from places like the Charcoal Grill in Galway or Passion4Food in Dublin so can’t vouch for the quality of the doner kebab. Even though it’s sure to be delicious if you just swallowed 10 pints of porter in the hours preceding the visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I would have had them written off as well, dude. The sort of place you’d only visit if all the other fast food places were packed after a match or something.

Give them another go. The burger was lovely. I only order a kebab from places like the Charcoal Grill in Galway or Passion4Food in Dublin so can’t vouch for the quality of the doner kebab. Even though it’s sure to be delicious if you just swallowed 10 pints of porter in the hours preceding the visit.

The donor kebab is edible. Loads of crisp cabbage and decent sauces. The meat is very poor.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We are such saps, making a fuss of whatever the latest US crap food purveyor that sets up here when we produce world class food of our own. We like to ape anything the Americans do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expansion costs mainly if you read coverage in other papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone else pop into this thread expecting some sort of homo-erotic, fantasy Chippendales ship travelling to Ireland?

No? Ok carry on. :o

Advertisement