Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Desmond's sons to bring Five Guys to Ireland

Options

Comments

5 guys is very nice but I would love to get a Shake Shack in Ireland, my god it's unreal absolutely savage burgers cooked medium. Any time I go to the US the first place I go for dinner is Shake Shack (if there is one around as they aren't everywhere over there), it is just so good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

5 guys is very nice but I would love to get a Shake Shack in Ireland, my god it's unreal absolutely savage burgers cooked medium. Any time I go to the US the first place I go for dinner is Shake Shack (if there is one around as they aren't everywhere over there), it is just so good.

There are multiple places in the same category , but the point is that there , you are getting your food for less than $10.. It's a bit more than you pay in a McDonalds/Burger King etc. but the couple of quid is well worth it..

But when these places get to Ireland , that suddenly becomes €20+ which for a simple burger and chips is just silly

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    There are multiple places in the same category , but the point is that there , you are getting your food for less than $10.. It's a bit more than you pay in a McDonalds/Burger King etc. but the couple of quid is well worth it..

But when these places get to Ireland , that suddenly becomes €20+ which for a simple burger and chips is just silly

Shake Shack ain't cheap in the US either, you won't get much change out of $20 dollars for a meal, well worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

dennyire wrote: »
    Jaysus Greebo you get into every feckin thread with your bullsh1t comments. you banned me once for a comment i made on golf forum when you were a mod there, and withouth any reason wanted to show your authority, Thanks be you were shown up for what you are and no longer a mod....though i see you are still spouting off incoherently in golf forum

Oohhhh, you’re hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A basic hamburger, small fries and a drink in 5 guys in America is anywhere from 15-18 dollars, it's probably 17 euro. Are you ordering of the kids menu??

• Advertisement

Where is this €20 for simple burger and chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I think Five Guy's is delish personally, having said that the last time I was in it was 10 months ago so I'm due another visit.

I was in Bóbós last Saturday around 7.30pm and got a burger ('The Emancipator'), coke and bacon fries; while it was quite nice it was almost €22 :eek:
    I should have went to Five Guys where it's a (far superior, imo) double burger, free toppings, bottomless drinks, tonnes of fries and for about €5 less!

People can like or dislike whatever they want but it just seems apparent to me that it's quite trendy to slag off Five Guys here for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I had my first sample of Shake Shack in the UK recently. More expensive, less food and not as nice as 5 Guys. I only went in because the 5 Guys directly across from it was rammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Oohhhh, you’re hard.

Not hard enough for that b''''''' look at the golf forum where he was a mod for years

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

The burgers are excellent. The milkshakes are also excellent. Fries; nothing wrong with them either.

Not surprised to hear they are operating at a loss. The one on Georges street is nearly empty every time I walk past. The food isn't cheap obviously and it's hard to justify eating it regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thelonious wrote: »
    The burgers are excellent. The milkshakes are also excellent. Fries; nothing wrong with them either.

Not surprised to hear they are operating at a loss. The one on Georges street is nearly empty every time I walk past. The food isn't cheap obviously and it's hard to justify eating it regularly.

Not sure operating at a loss is the right term the losses are due to expansion mainly from what I read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Ardent

That review was a nonsense and little wonder Five Guys complained about it. Lady blasts a beef burger joint because her veggie sandwich wasn't up to her Michelin star expectations.

Edit: A quick look at Catherine Cleary's twitter feed explains all. Clearly this woman has an axe to grind - promoting veganism and a reduction in meat consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

That the one where she orders the vegetarian burger?

Yup.
    That review was a nonsense and little wonder Five Guys complained about it. Lady blasts a beef burger joint because her veggie sandwich wasn't up to her Michelin star expectations.

It looks like a hatchet job alright, especially as people are saying the food isn't all that bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Yup.

No need to read it then.

Review wise I’ve had it a 3 or 4 times. I really like the burger don’t really love the fries. Not somewhere I’d be going out of the way for it but it’s grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Had it twice. The burger was grand, but I’d prefer the cheeseburger from Bunsen. The amount of salt on the chips would pickle you as well. Pricey spot for what you’re getting.

Featherblade on Dawson Street has a burger at lunchtime that costs less than the ones in Five Guy and is in a different league altogether.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Honest question. When did people start calling chips “fries” in Ireland?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It’ll always be burger, chips and a mineral for me.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Brian? wrote: »
    Honest question. When did people start calling chips “fries” in Ireland?

Around the same time they started calling rashers ‘bacon’ and calling a takeaway ‘take-out’.

Shower of douchebags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Depends where you're ordering from.

Chips from the chipper, fries from McD's. What irks me to a far greater degree is the number of restaurants who'll serve your chips in a little fcuking tin bucket, with a burger on a wooden board.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Depends where you're ordering from.

Chips from the chipper, fries from McD's. What irks me to a far greater degree is the number of restaurants who'll serve your chips in a little fcuking tin bucket, with a burger on a wooden board.

Agreed. Those places should be burned to ground. I’d always ask for chips everywhere in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Making a fat loss because they're charing to much and the chips are too big. Make the ordering fries for one fries for two and bring down the price.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Making a fat loss because they're charing to much and the chips are too big. Make the ordering fries for one fries for two and bring down the price.

I’ve read this 4 times and still can’t understand it.

they/them/theirs

The articles suggest they are expanding and that’s were the money is going.

salmocab wrote: »
    The articles suggest they are expanding and that’s were the money is going.

The premises are rented the staff are on contract, the suppliers already exist. Retrofitting I guess but they've losses of almost 4 million. Seems an odd strategy.

Brian? wrote: »
    I’ve read this 4 times and still can’t understand it.

Do you comment a lot on things you don't understand Brian? Must be very tough.

The premises are rented the staff are on contract, the suppliers already exist. Retrofitting I guess but they've losses of almost 4 million. Seems an odd strategy.

The rent has to be paid for months before opening, staff have to be trained and paid before opening, fitouts aren’t cheap.plus legal fees

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    The rent has to be paid for months before opening, staff have to be trained and paid before opening, fitouts aren’t cheap.plus legal fees

Legal fees and fit outs I guess. Seems a strange way to do business, would rather organic growth. They would be fairly exposed in the face of a downturn, given there business model is basically original Eddie Rockets. In and out burger on the other hand...

Advertisement