Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, what's next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

You totally ROK :) mwah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

there's TUMBLEWEED in here instead of an ROK race report....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

V busy catching up on what I've missed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looking forward to this cross training race report actually. (PS, it's ok to use km when your cycling IMO)

chickey2 wrote: »
    Good luck! Try and enjoy the scenery!

Thank you, it was fantastic. If I knew how to post photos I could show you how fabulous it was.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Can't wait to hear all about it. Don't forget to put on the cycling shorts tomorrow :D:D ...you have packed them, right??!

Oh definitely had shorts. Wasn't leaving those behind. Turns out the girl I cycled with had 2 pairs of padded shorts on, wouldn't blame her. I was numb for 24 hours!
    aquinn wrote: »
    Tired already and only first stop. 20 miles.

No joke this was actually the hardest part of the day. Up after 5 and left the house at 5.50 to drive to town and then cycle to the start. There were signs every 5 km and had already eaten a chocolate eclair by 10km as was wrecked. It actually took an hour to wake up. Hill in Killorgan came out of nowhere. There was a first official stop here that we whizzed by, was v worried about my full bladder so of course bravely asked my new friends when we were stopped. Was told 5 miles. Grand could work that out easily from my runs. It was windy and raining here. The rain was quite heavy. Got to the first stop, some pub and they were great. Buckets of oranges and juices outside for people. I went to the loo and put on additional layer and my run sleeves as was cold enough.

The layers a huge difference. had my first gel here and back on the bike. Only on the road a minute and had to ask was the wind always this hard? Turns out it was but with the break we'd already forgotten. Feet were cold from the rain.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Jesus fair play, I'm not even out of bed yet :--)

One girl in the loo made a comment 'Lads it's only 8.10' eek.pngeek.pngeek.pngeek.pngeek.pngeek.png.
    annapr wrote: »
    Hope it's going well for you, very windy in donegal this morning, hopefully not as bad in Kerry!

Yes it was bloody windy. We were told (and obviously very hopeful) that the wind would be behind us from Cahersiveen.
    Windy is right.
    Delayed start of 6.22am for those checking pace and time.
    39.19 miles. Going to have to switch to km soon as watch not going to last.
    Need Nurofen now with scone for back. Took gel at first stop. Mmm raspberry.

Local told us here as we were about to head off the wind wouldn't be behind us for a while yet, silent sob.
    Km are easier, honest :)

Hang in there!

Some of the km signs had very motivating/inspiring words 'keep going and be sore tomorrow'
    Some of them were definitely not 10km as promised. Long journey until we finally found Sneem.
    48.58 miles. In Waterville and going strong.

Possibly a sign as Garmin at 4 hours 1 min and on last bit.

First time to Waterville, is lovely. Talk of a hill of course I'd no idea what was next. More junk and water just in case.
    Kenmare. Lunch. 140km done.

Long journey to get here. Lost gang again, a recurring theme.
    libelula wrote: »
    Gwan ya good thing ya :D

So proud.
    I did it. I won. Ring of Kerry 2015. Delighted. That was truly fantastic. My 'ah sure it'll be grand ' training paid off. What a day.
    Being fit pays off as no struggle at all.
    beertons wrote: »
    Well done. Was just chatting to the brother in law. The wind was serious, he was an hour slower than last year.

We finally had the wind behind us in Molls gap. There was a band here and a DJ at the 155km mark that I nearly cried over his motivation 'another hour and you'll be in Killarney having a pint'.
    yes, but did you get a tshirt? ;)

well done you, you're a mad thing, fair play to you. I'd like to see how you're walking tomorrow :eek:

I had to buy my own tshirt, huh. Didn't even get to show it off as spent day in rain jacket. Looked fab obviously.
    It says online there were 11000 entrants ... that's *huge*, must be some party down there this evening.

Yes, a massive crowd. At the top of Comiska was incredible.Was a bit tired of all people roaring car up, car down. The cycling groups overtook in gangs and were more stressful as they'd do this with the oncoming car and didn't seem to realise that they were the issue and everyone else was fine.

Twice people just stopped dead in front of me like they'd lost concentration and so stopped cycling. Saw two people badly injured. One turns out is a Mod over in cycling. He was being put on a stretcher when I passed.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You totally ROK :) mwah!

I ROK :D

I have to say it was a really fantastic day out. Hard at the start but with the breaks and all the junk you eat it's a great day. The crowds and volunteers were really brilliant. All the marshals signalling a bridge or bad road surface was so welcoming.

I obviously now plan on a long cycle every weekend but we know that won't happen.

• Advertisement

a chocolate éclair before the first 10km :D:D:D:D sounds like my kinda race..

ooh now I want one, wonder would that fix my sore throat???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nicely done, sounds all the problems with entries were worth it in the end!

a chocolate éclair before the first 10km :D:D:D:D sounds like my kinda race..

ooh now I want one, wonder would that fix my sore throat???

You stick with your hot water and lemon. Chocolate eclair saved me. Better than any gel :)
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Nicely done, sounds all the problems with entries were worth it in the end!

It certainly was. A truly great day out. Wicklow and Waterford have tours but they might be too tough. Meath do cycles too so might see what's happening.

You stick with your hot water and lemon. Chocolate eclair saved me. Better than any gel :)

It certainly was. A truly great day out. Wicklow and Waterford have tours but they might be too tough. Meath do cycles too so might see what's happening.

I think there's one here later this month, yes there is, knew I'd seen a poster on my dog walk route.. http://www.meathsports.ie/cycle-tour/

Right, again a big gap and search to find this. Here is what I've been up to:

29/06-05/07 Lunch run 4.11 in 37. Howth Summit with S via Sutton. Massive sleep Evening run along the seafront, it was breezy and hot. 6.06 miles in 60mins Lunch 4.2 miles. Horrible, awful cycle. Really tough along coast. Started off fantastic, ended up shatterd. Ran on lunch, all sorts of weather. 4.1 Hot sweaty drive to Killarney 180km on a bike, fantastic. Drive to Dublin, Neil Diamond
    06/07-12/07 Shattered, house jobs. Lunch run 4.2 in 38. All sorts of mad weather. Zombie sleep Lunch run with the girls. 4.3 in 38 9.49 miles Raheny back via seafront. 1.30. Fantastic sleep 3 mile morning run. Undecided Sailing

So, apart from stalking TbL on foreign marathon journey's I've also been trying to come up with my own future. I would love to do DCM this year but still only doing 20 mile weeks. I wanted to follow the meno plan but in doing that I'm already two weeks behind and would have to get 14 miles in tomorrow. Last night's 9 mile was grand but that's the longest in weeks so that's too much of an increase.

Am here then for advice and help. My plan, atm and actually am considering that Valencia or SS would be great in Nov, but I still want to do the Dublin Half this year and actually enjoy it for once as I've done it twice now and had horror days and I can't just blame the heat. What I need then is a plan. Who can suggest/provide a plan that will get me to this. I've a new Garmin on order so I can actually start to do some of the speed sessions that I normally don't. I tend to run on lunch for 4 miles 3 days at week but can push to 4.
    I'm signed up for the 10km/10mile and then Half. I don't normally ask for help but faltering at the minute so need a proper plan as have been p(ssing about since Feb talking about one.

• Advertisement

if you're waiting till later in the year to do a marathon then why not look at the meno plan? I'm no expert (!) but don't see why you couldn't also do the Dublin Half as its September and your marathon will be November so no ill affects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

if you're waiting till later in the year to do a marathon then why not look at the meno plan? I'm no expert (!) but don't see why you couldn't also do the Dublin Half as its September and your marathon will be November so no ill affects?

Think A might have been asking about what to do in between now & starting the meno plan.... or maybe worrying that she won't be in shape for it?? A, you could just run [-, 5, 5, 5, -, 5, 13] or something for a few weeks to build?

SS would be a great place to do a marathon. You would feel very much at home among all the bicycles :)

Think A might have been asking about what to do in between now & starting the meno plan.... or maybe worrying that she won't be in shape for it?? A, you could just run [-, 5, 5, 5, -, 5, 13] or something for a few weeks to build?

SS would be a great place to do a marathon. You would feel very much at home among all the bicycles :)

The first week of the meno plan is 35miles a week so I think where I am at the minute still on my 20 pw that's it's too big of a jump so it then won't work for me for the half?

Can only really get 4 miles done on lunch these days too. I've a 4 mile round trip cycle but not sure I can borrow from that.

The first week of the meno plan is 35miles a week so I think where I am at the minute still on my 20 pw that's it's too big of a jump so it then won't work for me for the half?

Can only really get 4 miles done on lunch these days too. I've a 4 mile round trip cycle but not sure I can borrow from that.

Ah...

Maybe start the boards plan early? And re-do the middle/later section in September or so?

Ah...

Maybe start the boards plan early? And re-do the middle/later section?

Yes, just started to look at the Boards plan and that suits mileage better. I thought I followed this last year (until I started reading Adrian's log and realised I was well off).

Yes, just started to look at the Boards plan and that suits mileage better. I thought I followed this last year (until I started reading Adrian's log and realised I was well off).

No-one follows plans like a522!

I didn't follow the boards plan last year either though.

If you are running Valencia or San Sebastian it may be a good idea to just go with the boards plan.
    If you go with SS, you want to be starting the plan by July 27th I think. If you are going with Valencia you want to be starting next week.

For the next 2 weeks just try and build some mileage etc. The boards plan starts at 20 miles so may be ideal.

Also easy enough to amend the plan to run the half in September.

I didn't follow the boards plan last year either though.

If you are running Valencia or San Sebastian it may be a good idea to just go with the boards plan.
    If you go with SS, you want to be starting the plan by July 27th I think. If you are going with Valencia you want to be starting next week.

For the next 2 weeks just try and build some mileage etc. The boards plan starts at 20 miles so may be ideal.

Also easy enough to amend the plan to run the half in September.

What plan did you then follow? I probably won't run a marathon this year but I need to start a training plan regardless. Next week seems very early to be starting a marathon plan ;).

I'm also sailing this weekend and next so may not be capable of doing both. This is why I didn't sail last year.

Will also be asking what DG advising for those doing the Fingal 10km next week as I'm months behind on that log. I'm still on the introductions :P

Thanks for the input.

What plan did you then follow? I probably won't run a marathon this year but I need to start a training plan regardless. Next week seems very early to be starting a marathon plan ;).

I'm also sailing this weekend and next so may not be capable of doing both. This is why I didn't sail last year.

Will also be asking what DG advising for those doing the Fingal 10km next week as I'm months behind on that log. I'm still on the introductions :P

Thanks for the input.

I followed a plan from the Boston Athletic Association last year. They've taken it down off their site now but this is pretty much it..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13AuPkY07wXfnrSsZ-SkBwUMbzlnXDNlTY30-gN8fS2s/edit#gid=1078500440

OK, are you just looking for a maintenance plan to follow (not for a specific race)?

Maybe join a club and just go to the club sessions twice a week with some easy runs around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Why don't you pace me to 45 in Fingal? Problem sorted.

• Advertisement

I followed a plan from the Boston Athletic Association last year. They've taken it down off their site now but this is pretty much it..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13AuPkY07wXfnrSsZ-SkBwUMbzlnXDNlTY30-gN8fS2s/edit#gid=1078500440

OK, are you just looking for a maintenance plan to follow (not for a specific race)?

Maybe join a club and just go to the club sessions twice a week with some easy runs around that.

and isn't that exactly what you were saying yourself on Wednesday, its a good idea for sure.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Why don't you pace me to 45 in Fingal? Problem sorted.

You will be driven there and home and that's it!
    and isn't that exactly what you were saying yourself on Wednesday, its a good idea for sure.

Yes, just remembered that plan this afternoon.

Alright, I'll pace you then.

Jesus I'm stubborn, also weak upper body. My biceps actually hurt from carrying a small water bottle.

I re-ran my route from Thursday as I didn't have a GPS with me on Thursday so was curious was it 9.49 miles in 1.30. Went up through Raheny and I love this way as they have a newly re-surfaced road so the cycle lane is lovely to run on.

It was warm enough, had checked wind direction with L before leaving and was slow leaving this morning as dinner out last night and then a bad sleep made for a tight back today so loosened it out with house jobs. Left at 2.15.

Was having a great time up through Raheny as traffic and cyclists light. Was actually wishing for a bit more wind as it was muggy enough. I carefully monitored pace as vdot calculation tells me LSR pace is 9.37. I made the seafront at just over 5 miles and there was the wind. So nice and cooling and of course into me. Kept the pace going too as was strong to keep it into the wind so was steadier here. This novelty obviously wore off after half a mile and was over battling the wind but of course refused to head inland as wanted to check out route. The wind even picked up from the Wooden Bridge.

I added the extra mileage today as DG has enough on and didn't want to mess with uneven numbers so rounded to 10 miles. Turns out with no GPS I held pace steady on Thursday which was good going.

10m LSR done -
    Moving Time: 1:35:24
    Elapsed Time: 1:37:08
    Avg Pace: 9:32 min/mi

1 9:36.9 1.00 9:36
    2 :04.6 0.01 11:16 - messing here with watch trying to do a HS but failed on lap
    3 :09.8 0.02 10:21 - as above.
    4 9:34.8 1.00 9:35
    5 9:21.9 1.00 9:21
    6 9:18.7 1.00 9:18
    7 9:31.7 1.00 9:32
    8 9:44.6 1.00 9:44
    9 9:31.4 1.00 9:32
    10 9:31.5 1.00 9:32
    11 9:34.6 1.00 9:34
    12 9:26.6 1.00 9:27.

Realised yesterday it was the annivesary of my longest run and the only traumatic of my marathon training cycle. It was lashing for the first hour and was having a great time and then the second hour of course the sun came out and I was destroyed then with welts from wet clothes. Couldn't sleep at all that night but my Friday lunch I was over it and ready to go again. As I logged onto Boards this was the post that was on my tab :)

Hey Osolo,
    Thanks a million. I just tracked the full route so no wonder I am traumatised as it was nearly 15 so longest run of my life. My pelvis goes out of line so I go to the chiropractor to ease it back so get lower back pain. He says the running is good for it. Was probably too far forward tonight and not up straight so it wouldn't have helped. Was told to strengthen my core so thought with all the running I'd go back to Pilates. I have spikey balls to ease it out as well but really need to use them more. Also I'm not sure I could run that distance and in that rain in just a singlet. Will have a nose at wiggle tomorrow. Oh and the pace for the first 8 miles felt absolutely perfect. Really good.

I did it, even ended up buying a singlet it seems and haven't even joined the club.

First session with Cru, as all the locals say, went really well.

I squished a bit much into my evening pre-session with a cycle from D1-D3 to collect amazing new watch. D3 to home and change and back over to D4. Got a bit lost but still arrived in time. Met by Michael who went through trail and club workouts and asked for recent race time so gave Irish Runner 5 mile and so was put with Susan for the night.

I didn't want to wear a race t-shirt in case people suss me out and so wore former company race top and of course bumped into ex-colleague who just left new company. Typical.

Anyway D arrived from a trip around the track and we all started a dymanic warm-up. I was too keen on this it seems or just so amazing was top of the class, obviously in the wrong spot but stuck with it. Did this for one lap of the track.

Session was then 12 * 400, I positioned myself top of the class again and was promptly put to the back :rolleyes:

I purposely didn't wear a watch as wanted to see how I got on. I then tagged around 2 girls who were timing it. It was 400 with 30 seconds off but under the watchful eye of Michael every 3 we were allowed a one minute recovery. Cool, will take that. Was also told to find the girls for next session as it was a good pace but not horribly flat out like I imagined. Once you got to half way we were flying. It was much warmer than expected though. Legs were ok but got a stich which I never get and tried not to bruise myself further to ease it and just carried on.

Cool-down was a lap around with D and new friend telling me how to use new watch.

Others then participated in a relay whist I made new friends.

So very happy with that. Everyone really nice and massive group as they were also doing intervals and a marathon training session. Loads of new people tonight apparently.

I've also, finally, started the Boards plan so am on week 1.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    rest,cross or 3m rec 3m easy 4m with 5 x 100m strides 3m easy rest, cross or 3m rec 8m lsr 2m rec
    4.3 in 39 mins. Legs and body sore from sailing so took it easy Cycle D1-D3 to collect watch then home and to D4. Cycle back from CRU. First CRU session. Dymanic warm-up. 12*400 30 second break, every 3, one min break. Put into a group of similar. No watch so followed. Good pace and not flat out sickening. One lap cooldown with D. 3.2 miles easy on Trinity track Fingal 10km

Question now is what is advised for the rest of the week?
    Do I run on lunch tomorrow of 4m easy
    Go to the pitch session of the club? Possibly not but have to ask
    Get out and do 8 m LSR on Thursday or Friday?
    Sat I'm out for a cycle which will be long enough.

Back tight so took a lap off on the Trinity track at lunch to stretch it out and has slightly helped anyway.

Oh and TbL for ignoring us last week I remembered I've already had a running encounter with our SS buddy as we did Howth trail run on Good Friday :P

So as to give an update of races and progress to date with Fingal on Sunday.

5 mile
    2012 first ever race - Simon Fun run 41.04
    2013 - Simon Fun run 37.56
    Irish Runner June 2014 41.13
    Terenure 2015 36.23
    Irish Runner June 2015 37.03

10 km
    April 2013 GIR - hated it! 53.21 Only continued with running as was faster than Leo V.
    Samsung Night run April 2014 50.41
    Fingal 10km July 2014 47.46
    K-club April 2015 46.36

well done on the club session! and FINALLY starting a marathon plan :p what time are you going for on Sunday? Sub 45 obviously but how 'sub'?

well done on the club session! and FINALLY starting a marathon plan :p what time are you going for on Sunday? Sub 45 obviously but how 'sub'?

Yes, I have a plan. Took 6 months.
    BG has a friend who I introduced myself to last night and she has similiar 5mile and the k-club time to mine so maybe just stick with her and see how we go? This has also put L and BG on the sh**list though with Anna.

No expert here but I'll be keeping it nice and easy for the rest of the week: easy miles today and tomorrow, rest Fri, and maybe a recovery-paced run on the Saturday (with maybe a couple of strides in there to stay awake). Wouldn't be upping the total mileage this week either, although you've just started the plans that might not be an issue.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    No expert here but I'll be keeping it nice and easy for the rest of the week: easy miles today and tomorrow, rest Fri, and maybe a recovery-paced run on the Saturday (with maybe a couple of strides in there to stay awake). Wouldn't be upping the total mileage this week either, although you've just started the plans that might not be an issue.

Thanks D, you are still on for a lift anyway :D
    3.2 done today on the track and then will do 4 easy on lunch tomorrow.

Advertisement