Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost 500 cases of female genital mutilation identified in just one month in England

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

spikeS wrote: »
    it's not for us in the majority to say what is ok for you cause we might not like it

You need to google the word "democracy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

COYVB wrote: »
    You need to google the word "democracy"

Democracy is not always right

But that's our culture. It's not for you to say what's okay because you might not like it

See what I did there?

But that's our culture. It's not for you to say what's okay because you might not like it

See what I did there?

Yes but as it's our culture it's okay for us to fix any issues with it.

Yes but as it's our culture it's okay for us to fix any issues with it.

You make precisely zero sense here. Democracy is okay because it's part of our culture, except when it isn't, and can be used to reflect the opinion of the majority, except when it disagrees with something from another culture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Its okay as their descendants didnt survive to complain about it I guess.

yes exactly...which brings us back to the whole cutting topic...

You make precisely zero sense here. Democracy is okay because it's part of our culture, except when it isn't, and can be used to reflect the opinion of the majority, except when it disagrees with something from another culture?

Democracy and capitalism have severe issues and need to be looked at on how to fix those issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hmm, OK, then I'll be taking the B option in my previous post.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Democracy and capitalism have severe issues and need to be looked at on how to fix those issues.

But cultures that feature female (or male) genital mutilation don't have issues?

But cultures that feature female (or male) genital mutilation don't have issues?

They do but it's not our culture to change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

So we need to change our culture to accept this?

shalalala wrote: »

We need to be open minded and accept others for who they are

If someone comes from another country and attempts to bring their culture with them wholesale, then THEY are the ones affecting the culture of their host country, which you maintain is a no no, so you've defeated your own argument.

Your logic is incredibly flawed here

If someone comes from another country and attempts to bring their culture with them wholesale, then THEY are the ones affecting the culture of their host country, which you maintain is a no no, so you've defeated your own argument.

Your logic is incredibly flawed here

We are the majority we don't get to stamp out what we don't like, if we where on equal footing then yes we can debate the issues.

We need to get the government on equal footing with more Muslims in it so they can support their side

We are the majority we don't get to stamp out what we don't like, if we where on equal footing then yes we can debate the issues.

again, you need to google democracy
    We need to get the government on equal footing with more Muslims in it so they can support their side

No, we don't. They want to stay hardcore muslim they can go to a country with muslim laws. Just like any irishman in a muslim country can feck off back to ireland if they don't like the laws of the land there

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

We need to be open minded and accept others for who they are
    If people from a culture that practices cannibalism move in next door, you could offer them your children. You wouldn't want to offend them, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

ALiasEX wrote: »
    If people from a culture that practices cannibalism move in next door, you could offer them your children. You wouldn't want to offend them, would you?

I guess as long as they only ate their own children, the poster would be content.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Find it hard to take spikeS' posts seriously. Even hardcore lefties don't believe these things. One would almost imagine the posts are designed to make liberals look bad.

Find it hard to take spikeS' posts seriously. Even hardcore lefties don't believe these things. One would almost imagine the posts are designed to make liberals look bad.

My initial feeling was that spikeS is 14-17 years old, and is in the stage where a utopia seems possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

So only a Muslim can support Muslims politically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

yeah, and to do a little bit of trolling and provoke folks around here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Grayson wrote: »
    Our customs are no more or less important/better than anyone else's.

Nonsense.

In any given country, the customs of that country are more important than any imported customs. Any new arrivals must adapt to the existing customs and not expect the host society to adapt to theirs. A failure, by both the authorities and certain immigrant groups, to respect and enforce this is one of many reasons that Europe is now a deeply troubled and divided powder keg.

Our culture is clearly superior to the culture of many other societies. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that our society is morally superior to, for example, Saudi Arabia's. In Ireland, we do not torture bloggers for blasphemy or treat women as something between a child and livestock. We even allow women to drive and refrain from jailing homosexuals for being homosexual.

Not all customs are equal. Not all cultures are equal. If you want to live in a secular, free, democratic, liberal European society then leave the more negative aspects of your original culture, such as FGM, firmly behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

shalalala wrote: »
    no

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

no

Ok people!

/THREAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Still you'll get the "What about men"-ers though on these debates, which blows the mind.
    A little of topic, but,
    I've only read this far in the thread so far. But I just thought I'd point out that the first "what about men" related post in the thread is this one. Seems to be an ongoing trend. First posts of a "what about menz" nature in threads being someone coming into a thread and saying "Oh there'll be what about men posts along soon". Then when someone bites posts saying "hah see, the thread is being made about men now. Why oh why does this happen!?".

Not to pick on you or anything Venus, you know I love you really, you just happen to be the one that did it.

Back on topic. Cutting children's genitals up is fvcked up and should be stamped out with the fury of a supernova.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"The Cruel Cut" it was called. I remember watching it when it was on TV. It is horrendous watching, but should nearly be required watching for everyone.

Also, the Penn & Teller: BULLSH*T! episode surrounding Circumcision (of boys) should also be required viewing.

Just shows how horrible and barbaric both of these "operations" are.

If you are an adult and want these things done to you. Go ahead. Knock yourself out. Be happy.

But when adults inflict these mutilations on children. Nope. No. No way. F*ck that. Religion or culture be damned. Do not mutilate your children's genitals, for f*ck sake!

As a lad who's happy chappy still has his head gear, I had no idea just how awful male circumcision was until I saw that 'Bull****' episode. I nearly lost my lunch.

I am firmly in the no camp to both forms of mutilation.

How any adult could sanction that sort of shit on their kid is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    yeah, and to do a little bit of trolling and provoke folks around here...

This thread was being trolled from five minutes in by the usual suspects.

This thread was being trolled from five minutes in

By some of the same people now eagerly denouncing the latest troll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Tony EH wrote: »
    As a lad who's happy chappy still has his head gear, I had no idea just how awful male circumcision was until I saw that 'Bull****' episode. I nearly lost my lunch.

I am firmly in the no camp to both forms of mutilation.

How any adult could sanction that sort of shit on their kid is beyond me.

Even sadder, most parents don't sanction it. It is just done. I've heard of cases where parents in the United States had to fight, I mean literally fight, the doctors and nurses with legal threats to make sure their son did not get circumcised.

All too often in US hospitals, baby boys are simply taken off to get weighed, measured, etc. and are then circumcised at the same time, before being returned to their parents.

Sounds crazy, but it's true. Sickeningly true. But yeah, that episode of Penn & Teller is a proper eye-opener. Also, the fact that most baby boys in the United States are circumcised WITHOUT any kind of pain killing medication! I nearly faint at just the thought of the pain of it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Our western culture has messed up theirs with slavery and wars, if they leave to get away from the damage we did to their home we should be careful no to damage their culture now

They are not trying to circumcise our kids only their own in accordance with their culture

Children are not property.

Advertisement