Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good hard ride with Dory and Oryx (Ballyhoura Feb 15)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Not sure people want to cycle around me...on the mountains....

How much is bike rental?

Get yer arse down to Ballyhoura and have some fun with us! Dammit!! ;)

And in other news.....rumor has it there may be a Fat Tuesday* celebration in Dublin the evening of February 17th. Time and place yet to be determined!

* Aka - Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Tuesday....the last day before Lent begins! Whoop whoop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ok Racoonqueen has been badgering me all week to get some ideas of numbers so she has some idea of how much baking she has to do. So at this stage we need a show of hands on the potential attendence so I will get the ball rolling - fell free to add yourself to the list below.

I am hoping someone with more experience might take on the organization, when do we meet, where do we meet etc.

Is 10 too early for the long distance travelers, does it need to be later.......with that competition on will we be kicked off at one or will they just take up a small portion of the trails. Is there somewhere near to have a bite to eat or a coffee after?

Attendee List

Catweazle - Homemade Oreo Cookies and Cream
    Declan (non boardie Friend) - Pavalova

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

going to have to skip this one, running with the local AC in the Clare AAI 4 Mile Road Championships on Sunday. Name that long felt i can't miss it

BTH, if Bennymul is going and you still are i can see if i can get my bike to BM for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

catweazle wrote: »
    Ok Racoonqueen has been badgering me all week to get some ideas of numbers so she has some idea of how much baking she has to do. So at this stage we need a show of hands on the potential attendence so I will get the ball rolling - fell free to add yourself to the list below.

I am hoping someone with more experience might take on the organization, when do we meet, where do we meet etc.

Is 10 too early for the long distance travelers, does it need to be later.......with that competition on will we be kicked off at one or will they just take up a small portion of the trails. Is there somewhere near to have a bite to eat or a coffee after?

10 is perfect for me anyway. The best place to meet is the car park at the bottom of the trails.
    The competition will just take up some of the trails. The last time Mike and I were up there when there was a competition on, they had some of the trails flagged off I think. As long as you move out of the way I don't think it's a big deal but it can get annoying if there are a lot of people doing it.
    You can get tea and coffee in the car park. The nearest village is Ardpatrick. It just has a pub. As far as I know they don't serve food. I haven't been there for nearly 20 years but from the general appearance it hasn't changed much. You'd probably have to go as far as Limerick to get some decent food

Attendee List

career move - choc chip cookies and scones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mossym wrote: »
    going to have to skip this one, running with the local AC in the Clare AAI 4 Mile Road Championships on Sunday. Name that long felt i can't miss it

BTH, if Bennymul is going and you still are i can see if i can get my bike to BM for you?

Cheers lad.

I'm still going, provided there's no emergency. MAT leave starts Friday. :eek:

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    Cheers lad.

I'm still going, provided there's no emergency. MAT leave starts Friday. :eek:

okay, if BM is going i'll talk to him about getting the bike to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Pointer28 - Homemade Pear, Raisin and Chocolate Cake type thing

I think 10am is perfect too, early enough to be done before the big crowds arrive but not too ridiculously early. There's a coffee machine in the car park so we can just go dirty car park picnic styley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pointer28 wrote: »

Is this a list of stuff you guys want me to bake?
    Don't think I'll make it I'm afraid... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

i'm out unfortunately, my much better half is away for the day so I have the 3 smallies to entertain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Enjoy the day all. Unfortunately I can't join ye but hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did for the Boardsie outing in November.

Couple of things on the bike hire
    - you'll need to leave a bank card or driver's license by way of damage deposit. The bike will be inspected on return.
    - you'll have the option of a refundable deposit on a puncture kit. Use it, forfeit the deposit and vice versa. Think it's only a fiver.
    - showers are E3
    - parking is E5 (I think)
    - if you're a newbie allow a few mins to spin around the car park before setting off. MTB's feel a lot different to road bikes - squashy tyres, sharp brakes, suspension, etc.
    - when CM shouts back to you to tell you not to stop on the next boardwalk because it's too slippy, listen.

• Advertisement

Dory - deep dark chocolate cake topped with a deep dark chocolate ganache
    Is this a list of stuff you guys want me to bake?
    Don't think I'll make it I'm afraid... :(

It just feels right to keep this list going. :D

Should we skip the cycling altogether and just have a pig out session in the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

sorry I cant make it either (for the moment), the wife has to head off Friday for the weekend and children to mind,

however if I get any opportunity I will be over.

BennyMul wrote: »
    sorry I cant make it either (for the moment), the wife has to head off Friday for the weekend and children to mind,

however if I get any opportunity I will be over.
    okay, if BM is going i'll talk to him about getting the bike to him

I better book a bike so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I better book a bike so.

want to see if I can meet you on the road ?

I better book a bike so.

are you coming through limerick?

BennyMul wrote: »
    want to see if I can meet you on the road ?
    are you coming through limerick?

Will be hoping around limerick rather than through it Might be getting a lift too so probably handiest to go straight out and rent a bike. Cheers though.

So, are we all agreed on 10 then?

How about bringing the run shorts and making it a brick session?

I'm sure DD and Oryx would be well up for it.

pointer28 wrote: »
    So, are we all agreed on 10 then?

How about bringing the run shorts and making it a brick session?

I'm sure DD and Oryx would be well up for it.

I would assume it's 10 unless someone posts otherwise. And...um...brick session?? :eek:

Oh, and if solobally8 is still up to meet us for lunch after.....we need to figure out how to meet up with her!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I will have run 50k the day before. You can stick your brick session where the sun don't shine. ;)

• Advertisement

10 it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I would assume it's 10 unless someone posts otherwise. And...um...brick session?? :eek:

Oh, and if solobally8 is still up to meet us for lunch after.....we need to figure out how to meet up with her!!!!

I'll come meet ye in the car park after to eat all these baked goods RQ is bringing!

10 mins away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sorry can't make it after all guys :mad: You are gonna have to come over again Dory!

Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable day out. Great to meet you all :D

P.S Looking forward to the next one :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You're going to make me do that again?????

Oryx wrote: »
    You're going to make me do that again?????

You'll be grand for the next one. Just don't go running a 50k PB the day before ..... you might even enjoy it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Anyone who is available, Dory will be completing her Irish backwards triathlon with a swim at the NAC tomorrow at 3pm, featuring an IM race over 100m. All boardsies welcome to try out for title of "Can't even get arms out of water attempting fly".

Moved to UCD pool

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Anyone who is available, Dory will be completing her Irish backwards triathlon with a swim at the NAC tomorrow at 3pm, featuring an IM race over 100m. All boardsies welcome to try out for title of "Can't even get arms out of water attempting fly".

Please please, can you video that???? I am too far to make it to the NAC, but would love to see the attempts at fly!!! I find it fascinating stroke, and one I am not able of doing!!!

• Advertisement

Kurt - please don't injure her...........she has suffered enough on this "holiday" already.

Advertisement