Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on over there??? - See mod warning post 194 BEFORE posting!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

No mention of alcohol in that report. Next!

At least Irish backpackers only cause trouble when they are drunk.

I'm not sure why you are so interested in Australia Ellie Slimy Puddle, you do know people here wear thongs all year round?

You'd hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Sundy wrote: »
    you do know people here wear thongs all year round?

You'd hate it

Lets not make this thread about the shoes.

Australia's ridiculously relaxed WHS laws regarding closed-toed shoes will just serve to derail the threadhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94114701&postcount=27

After all, Tickers has struggled with open-mindedness in this regard before
    I think you and others seem to forget that all opinions are not facts. My opinion doesn't sit comfortably with a lot of users

Opinions are in fact like arseholes.
    Everybody has one.
    Tickers is perfectly entitled to an opinion, just as we are entitled to ridicule the holes in it (No pun intended)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Not another "I've lived in Australia and therefore know everything there is to know about the country" poster. Just what we needed.

I don't know everything there is to know but I have lived here for long enough to know a hell of a lot more about what goes on over here than someone who occasionally sees a newspaper article about something an Irish person has done in Australia. There are plenty of positive articles about the Irish in Australia if you care to have a look... but I don't think you will as you seem to have made your mind up about the whole thing.
    We most certainly don't need a poster who bases his "knowledge" of what happens in Australia on media reports. If everyone done that then the worldwide tourism industry would collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No mention of alcohol in that report. Next!

There was no mention of alcohol in the scam story you posted the other day. Why is alcohol the crucial point now?
    So you've taken a few crime stats from different parts of Australia and tried to fudge these some way into excusing bad behaviour by Irish people in Australia because they fit into a certain age bracket???

While you're using no stats at all. Just your opinion that if you don't see stories about Germans and Spaniards, then they don't exist.

Do you read all the foreign news in all your free time - you know, Monday to Sunday?

Some people become bitter that their mates moved to Australia and have jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

What about the people who have come over here and made a success of themselves?

There's always going to be a few dickheads who behave like eejits but after living here for 5 years, I am very proud to be Irish and am proud of the majority of the Irish community and their contribution to Aussie society

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

statina wrote: »
    What about the people who have come over here and made a success of themselves?

There's always going to be a few dickheads who behave like eejits but after living here for 5 years, I am very proud to be Irish and am proud of the majority of the Irish community and their contribution to Aussie society
    Ellie Slimy Puddle is only interested in failure, not achievement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

You all know the 2 Boards rules:

1. Attack the post, not the poster.
    2. Don't react, report.

Both have been completely ignored on this thread, and it has to stop. If you can't debate the issue at hand, don't try. If you can't be civil, don't post.

The thread is on thin ice, any further messing and it'll be locked, permanently.

You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Not too sure about other suburbs but in St Kilda our reputation isn't great. Talking to one of the detectives a couple of weeks ago and he says the amount of Irish people they arrest for being drunk and disorderly is huge.

Last summer we have had Irish guys assault our staff in work, spit in our bouncers face and one guy even hit another patron (Irish as well) with a flying head butt that could have killed the guy. This was an unprovoked attack as well.

Don't get me wrong it's not just Irish people but it's seems we find trouble a lot easier then other travellers - In my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Why is it happening so often in Australia? Seems that much of the dregs of Irish society has emigrated there over the last ten years (a hell of a lot of normal, decent people have emigrated too of course!)

I rarely hear of any trouble involving Irish nationals in Canada.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

el diablo wrote: »
    Why is it happening so often in Australia? Seems that much of the dregs of Irish society has emigrated there over the last ten years (a hell of a lot of normal, decent people have emigrated too of course!)

Very cheap and easy to get a Working Holiday Visa, plus the allure of hot weather and good wages I reckon!

• Advertisement

Last time I was in Australia I witnessed a huge brawl outside a bar in Bondi Junction between a bunch of drunken muck warriors wearing Cork and Mayo jerseys.

That was quite a few years ago and it sounds like it's got a lot worse since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

It's probably because the Australian press do love a good drunkin irish story.

And yep it would be fair to say a fair few of the dregs of Ireland ended up here with lots of money in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Last time I was in Australia I witnessed a huge brawl outside a bar in Bondi Junction between a bunch of drunken muck warriors wearing Cork and Mayo jerseys.

It hasn't gotten worse. St Kilda and Bondi Junction are both infested with backpackers, always have been. There are also a few bars in both that particularly draw in rowdy county colors crowds.

Perth has gotten a big draw of the same in the last few years, but these individuals are a small noisy minority. As previously mentioned my many, many people who are here grafting away, news outlets are not interested in stories about Irish people who work hard, mind their own business and behave like civilized human beings. The vast majority of us fall into that boring category, and anything suggesting it is otherwise is just sensationalist clap-trap by journos trying to fill column inches while avoiding real issues.

The vast majority of us fall into that boring category, and anything suggesting it is otherwise is just sensationalist clap-trap by journos trying to fill column inches while avoiding real issues.
    That's essentially it; the drunk antics of the few sell more news than the reality of cronic domestic abuse, meth abuse, racial abuse, aboriginal deaths in custody etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

catbear wrote: »
    That's essentially it; the drunk antics of the few sell more news than the reality of cronic domestic abuse, meth abuse, racial abuse, aboriginal deaths in custody etc....

( . ) ( . )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What a moronic comment. Papers don't sell unless there is a story about a drunken Irish backpacker........ffs :rolleyes:

Haven't you left the country? Why are you still here having a moan if you've left the kip & gone back?

Tone it down

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

tea gardens no doubt

tea gardens no doubt

Cock and Bull actually. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Cock and Bull actually. :P

usual ****e i suppose , hurlers and footballers beating ****e out of each other again.

Seems to have quietened down a bit down there. I guess most of the trailer- trash have been booted out or their visas have expired. :-)

• Advertisement

I read recently that irish whv applications to oz were down nearly 60% from their peak in 2012.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

catbear wrote: »
    I read recently that irish whv applications to oz were down nearly 60% from their peak in 2012.

They're going to drop even more when this kicks in:
    http://www.bdo.com.au/resources/publications/federal-budget-2015/individual-measures/changes-to-tax-residency-rules-for-temporary-working-holiday-makers

I can't see many people being tempted by the idea of paying 32.5% on everything they earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I wonder whats the motivation for this change? I doubt the extra tax would be the only driver.

lg123 wrote: »
    I wonder whats the motivation for this change? I doubt the extra tax would be the only driver.
    I thought it had something to do with tackling high youth unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeh the Government somehow think all the hippies in Byron Bay will get off their hole and go do fruit picking in similar conditions to backpackers.

:pac::pac::pac:

But seriously this is a very dangerous move by the government. If there is no incentive for literally anyone to work in the fruit industry expect to see fruit prices go up and tourism go down. With the unemployed young Australian numbers remaining the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh the Government somehow think all the hippies in Byron Bay will get off their hole and go do fruit picking in similar conditions to backpackers.

:pac::pac::pac:

But seriously this is a very dangerous move by the government. If there is no incentive for literally anyone to work in the fruit industry expect to see fruit prices go up and tourism go down. With the unemployed young Australian numbers remaining the same.

The Government is planning to open up the WHV (462) to more Asian and Eastern European countries and upping the limit on those countries already open in that class, also the 462 visa is now extendable by 12 months by working for 3 months in a regional area similar to to the 417. They have introduced this first to NT and plan to introduce to the rest of Australia in the future.

Although 417 visas might decrease the 462 visa will increase as more middle class Asians will want to visit Australia, although I don't believe the removal of the tax threshold would have a major influence on visitors who do not have the same sense of entitlement as some.

In a year or so young people who have never heard of the tax threshold or understand how Australian tax used to work will still seek adventure and still use the WHV as it was designed to supplement a holiday and should not be abused in the manner it had been.

Australia’s working holiday program

Most individuals who will be affected by the proposed change will be participants in the ‘Working Holiday Maker Program’. This program allows young adults (aged 18 to 30) from eligible partner countries to work in Australia while having an extended holiday. Work in Australia must not be the main purpose of the visa holder’s visit.[2] This is a cultural exchange programme which enables young travellers to have an extended holiday and earn money through short-term employment.[3]

As everyone knows to be a resident for tax purposes you live in the one place for 6 months or so.

This is the example from the ATO website

Example: Foreign resident

Lars lives in Munich and is granted a 12 month working holiday visa. He plans to return to Munich, and resume his career as a carpenter, after his 12 month working holiday in Australia.

Lars arrives in August 2011 and has five different jobs while he travels around Australia, visiting every capital city during his 12 month stay. He stays in no place for longer than two months.

Lars only works for seven of the 12 months he is in Australia as he is primarily here to see as much as he can, picking up carpentry work to supplement his funds as he travels.

Lars is not an Australian resident for tax purposes. Although he is in Australia for more than six months in the year ended 30 June 2012, he is considered a foreign resident for tax purposes as his usual home is outside Australia.

Most legitimate backpackers didn't qualify as a Australian Resident for Tax purposes anyway.

Advertisement