Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on over there??? - See mod warning post 194 BEFORE posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Probably because it's true.

If this guy actually was sober and smart but the media falsely portrayed him as drunk and stupid based on his nationality then your post would actually make sense.

It was the Judge who said

I can't see where the Judge was being racist, he was calling it as seen it and the media reported it.

This type of stupid post makes me laugh.

Are you kidding me? The two Australian women I'm referring to were pissed out of their heads. But the headlines in the (media not papers) were 'two women'. That make a bit more sense to you?

You can be a complete tool (other word didn't filter and was a bit in the bad side) when you want to be mandrake. Seriously.

Just to make this very clear.

Similar situation that happened prior to this. Headline on channel 7 news was 'two women'.

This situation, again, similar to the last, 'drunk Irishman' headline on channel 7 news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Right its degenerated to name calling lets leave it at that. Truedub did issue a few warnings like.

If in 3 days this thread needs to be opened someone let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

irishmover wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? The two Australian women I'm referring to were pissed out of their heads. But the headlines in the (media not papers) were 'two women'. That make a bit more sense to you?

Just to make this very clear.

Similar situation that happened prior to this. Headline on channel 7 news was 'two women'.

This situation, again, similar to the last, 'drunk Irishman' headline on channel 7 news.

I'm not kidding, your point is pretty lame.

If the two Australian women had been up in court for similar circumstances in Ireland they would have been reported in the Irish media as 'Drunk Australians'

like this case "Suspended sentence for Australian who tried to ram Garda car"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspended-sentence-for-australian-who-tried-to-ram-garda-car-1.2094339

same as if a Nigerian sexually attacked someone on a bus Ireland they might be reported as "Nigerian Nitelink sex-attacker"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/nigerian-nitelink-sexattacker-has-sentence-more-than-doubled-29603202.html

I'm sure if the Attacker was Irish he would either be reported as a 'Man' or maybe a 'Dublin (or insert county) Man' it certainly wouldn't say Irish man.

or

'Polish man charged with murder of his partner Mary Ryan'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/polish-man-charged-with-murder-of-his-partner-mary-ryan-37-26856162.html

So re-reading your post #150
    This news was broadcast as two women. The story about the drunk Irishman is pure and simple racism when compared with the previous story. Why the hell do they need to broadcast it as a drunk Irishman or a remarkably stupid Irishman either.

Would you then say that the Irish media in reporting the Nationality of the Nigerian, Polish and Australian is also racism?

I think you have only two choices
    a)Yes
    b)No...because most media will often report a nationality if they are not native.

Would you not agree?

irishmover wrote: »

You can be a complete tool (other word didn't filter and was a bit in the bad side) when you want to be mandrake. Seriously.

Maybe so, but at least I am consistent with the truth and fairness and try to restore some balance to some of the bigoted & small minded rants on here.

I think you like many like you are so wrapped up in your in your own insecurities that you are overly sensitive to any negative press about Irish people. I met some real d!ckheads, idiots etc in Ireland, just because they get some sort of joke visa to come to Australia doesn't mean they are suddenly some sort of superior breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I'm not kidding, your point is pretty lame.

If the two Australian women had been up in court for similar circumstances in Ireland they would have been reported in the Irish media as 'Drunk Australians'

like this case "Suspended sentence for Australian who tried to ram Garda car"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspended-sentence-for-australian-who-tried-to-ram-garda-car-1.2094339

same as if a Nigerian sexually attacked someone on a bus Ireland they might be reported as "Nigerian Nitelink sex-attacker"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/nigerian-nitelink-sexattacker-has-sentence-more-than-doubled-29603202.html

I'm sure if the Attacker was Irish he would either be reported as a 'Man' or maybe a 'Dublin (or insert county) Man' it certainly wouldn't say Irish man.

or

'Polish man charged with murder of his partner Mary Ryan'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/polish-man-charged-with-murder-of-his-partner-mary-ryan-37-26856162.html

So re-reading your post #150

Would you then say that the Irish media in reporting the Nationality of the Nigerian, Polish and Australian is also racism?

I think you have only two choices
    a)Yes
    b)No...because most media will often report a nationality if they are not native.

Would you not agree?

Maybe so, but at least I am consistent with the truth and fairness and try to restore some balance to some of the bigoted & small minded rants on here.

I think you like many like you are so wrapped up in your in your own insecurities that you are overly sensitive to any negative press about Irish people. I met some real d!ckheads, idiots etc in Ireland, just because they get some sort of joke visa to come to Australia doesn't mean they are suddenly some sort of superior breed.

But I thought Irishmover had a spectacular point :rolleyes:

Imagine if they reported every Austalian as Australian in every story.

2 Australian Girls Drunk..
    1 Australian Dead in Car Crash in Queensland...
    A Australian Accountant Charged with Fraud in Victoria...

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    But I thought Irishmover had a spectacular point :rolleyes:

Imagine if they reported every Austalian as Australian in every story.

2 Australian Girls Drunk..
    1 Australian Dead in Car Crash in Queensland...
    A Australian Accountant Charged with Fraud in Victoria...

Like I said in my other post its laughable its that ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

These news reports are almost on a weekly basis now
    Well it's been a few quiet weeks, disappointed Ellie Slimy Puddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup-brawl-erupts-between-india-and-pakistan-fans-at-sydney-rsl-club-20150215-13firt.html

Up to 40 people involved in a brawl over a cricket match last night in Sydney. Kinda puts the Irish antics to shame, we'll have to up our game so Tickers has something to rant about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

That's nothing, a scrap at the old RSL, a few years ago it kicked off at the Tennis, now that's how you riot. Tickers would be most unimpressed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

catbear wrote: »
    Well it's been a few quiet weeks, disappointed Tickers?

Since you last read the paper or watched the news?

09/02/2015: 7 days ago http://www.irishecho.com.au/2015/02/09/nsw-police-charge-irishman-25-with-assault/33537

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

aido79 wrote: »
    And the point of this post is??

it's a beautiful love story, full or danger, romance, and intrigue. :D

much like the friday night 2 weeks ago when i got kicked out of my own bed at 4 in the morning because of the mrs's drunk work buddy (an aussie, since we're doing that) who decided she wanted to sleep in the big bed with us, not the couch.

queue 3-some jokes. :pac: no, there wasn't a threesome.. more importantly, there was no vomit to clean up so i count that as a win.

people do dumb **** all the time.. and it's usually the non-natives that get pointed out by our esteemed friends who have nothing better to complain about.

it's a beautiful love story, full or danger, romance, and intrigue. :D

much like the friday night 2 weeks ago when i got kicked out of my own bed at 4 in the morning because of the mrs's drunk work buddy (an aussie, since we're doing that) who decided she wanted to sleep in the big bed with us, not the couch.

queue 3-some jokes. :pac: no, there wasn't a threesome.. more importantly, there was no vomit to clean up so i count that as a win.

people do dumb **** all the time.. and it's usually the non-natives that get pointed out by our esteemed friends who have nothing better to complain about.

That's true...people do dumb **** all the time in every country in the world. The OP seems to be under the impression that the Irish in Australia are running riot. Must have been a slow news day in Ireland because if he looked a bit closer to home he would see that there are Irish people doing far worse things in their own country.

And the point of this post is??

Well we don't see news reports of Germans, Spanish, French, Americans etc making headline news and TV slots for general drunken behaviour to the same extent as we do Irish "backpacker".

Before anyone jumps in and says "comparatively it's not the same" "and the reason is because the media have portrayed us in a negative way" [insert excuse here]...
    Why can't posters just fess up and admit that there is a disproportionately high number of number of drunken incidents involving Irish people in Australia???

Well we don't see news reports of Germans, Spanish, French, Americans etc making headline news and TV slots for general drunken behaviour to the same extent as we do Irish "backpacker".
    Bild is where Germans go to find out what high jinks their compatriots get up to in the sun!

I actually think a lot of Australians are impressed by the scammers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Before anyone jumps in and says "comparatively it's not the same" "and the reason is because the media have portrayed us in a negative way" [insert excuse here]...
    Why can't posters just fess up and admit that there is a disproportionately high number of number of drunken incidents involving Irish people in Australia???

You don't see them as you don't live in Germany/Spain/France etc

Why don't you trawl the net for good news stories instead of your glass half empty outlook on the Irish in Australia.

wefixtexas wrote: »
    I just a stupidity that has done by Irish people over there.Rest of the things can be happen at any time.
    Well it's a competitive society, they're only trying to keep up with the locals! :D
    tumblr_mlllhvPtrf1qekv0ao2_400.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

W

Because there isn't a disproportionately high number, either by Australian, or Irish standards.
    There is a disproportionately high level of media coverage of incidents involving Irish people, then hand wringers like yourself start making generalizations and further the stereotypes.
    In Aus, as in Ireland, there are bars, pubs and clubs that are hot-spots for alcohol related incidents. Go to any country town in Ireland and you will see the same thing, a couple of muckers or scumbags knocking lumps out of each other on any given Saturday night. The exact same happens here, except the media make a big hoo-haa out of it. You won't see them out in Alice Springs, Cherbourg or Kalgoorlie filming Aussies doing the same for their own.
    For instance in 2009, there were 1124 incidents of alcohol related crime ( just over 3 per day) in Kalgoorlie alone.
    How many Irish Backpackers do you think were out on the rip in Kalgoorlie at the time ?

With a total of 12274 alcohol related crimes in NSW alonehttp://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/Documents/RCS-Quarterly/Alcohol%20Assault%20Data.xls between March 2014 and March 2015, do you really think that the 10-20 stories you have seen in the broader media represent a disproportionate number ?
    The number of Irish people spending time in prison in Australia is increasing, with high alcohol intake often a feature of offences committed by emigrants, the Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas (ICPO) has warned.

So far this year, 21 Irish citizens have sought assistance from ICPO after being detained in Australia, up from just four last year.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/number-of-irish-people-in-australian-prisons-increasing-1.1928455

Then in Backpacker havens like Byron....http://www.echo.net.au/2014/04/byron-tops-region-bashings-report/
    Again, no specific reference to Irish People, or Backpackers specifically, the reference is to young people.

Where you have young people (18-24) and alcohol, there is a significantly higher occurrence of violence and assault.
    The vast majority of Irish people coming to Australia are in that age bracket and in that risk group, and are leading a lifestyle that puts them at direct risk of either being a perpetrator or victim of alcohol related crime, so to be honest, looking at the occurrence level of assistance from IPCO, I would be of the opinion that young Irish people are conducting themselves better than the locals in a lot of instances. Again with the qualification that there are a few venues where the same bunch of scobies that get pissed up and start rows back home are just doing the same thing here.

You can be as melodramatic as you like Ellie Slimy Puddle, but until you get off Tracy Grimshaw's bandwagon and read the facts for yourself, you'll never be convinced.

Correct me if I am wrong but you have never set foot in Australia have you? You have no idea what happens over here apart from a few media reports which are in line with your notion that the Irish are running riot here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

No it's just YOU don't see the news reports

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/french-tourists-who-burnt-quokka-released-from-prison-20150423-1mruqn.html

Correct me if I am wrong but you have never set foot in Australia have you? You have no idea what happens over here apart from a few media reports which are in line with your notion that the Irish are running riot here.

Not another "I've lived in Australia and therefore know everything there is to know about the country" poster. Just what we needed.

Sundy wrote: »

No mention of alcohol in that report. Next!

Because there isn't a disproportionately high number, either by Australian, or Irish standards.
    There is a disproportionately high level of media coverage of incidents involving Irish people, then hand wringers like yourself start making generalizations and further the stereotypes.
    In Aus, as in Ireland, there are bars, pubs and clubs that are hot-spots for alcohol related incidents. Go to any country town in Ireland and you will see the same thing, a couple of muckers or scumbags knocking lumps out of each other on any given Saturday night. The exact same happens here, except the media make a big hoo-haa out of it. You won't see them out in Alice Springs, Cherbourg or Kalgoorlie filming Aussies doing the same for their own.
    For instance in 2009, there were 1124 incidents of alcohol related crime ( just over 3 per day) in Kalgoorlie alone.
    How many Irish Backpackers do you think were out on the rip in Kalgoorlie at the time ?

With a total of 12274 alcohol related crimes in NSW alonehttp://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/Documents/RCS-Quarterly/Alcohol%20Assault%20Data.xls between March 2014 and March 2015, do you really think that the 10-20 stories you have seen in the broader media represent a disproportionate number ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/number-of-irish-people-in-australian-prisons-increasing-1.1928455

Then in Backpacker havens like Byron....http://www.echo.net.au/2014/04/byron-tops-region-bashings-report/
    Again, no specific reference to Irish People, or Backpackers specifically, the reference is to young people.

Where you have young people (18-24) and alcohol, there is a significantly higher occurrence of violence and assault.
    The vast majority of Irish people coming to Australia are in that age bracket and in that risk group, and are leading a lifestyle that puts them at direct risk of either being a perpetrator or victim of alcohol related crime, so to be honest, looking at the occurrence level of assistance from IPCO, I would be of the opinion that young Irish people are conducting themselves better than the locals in a lot of instances. Again with the qualification that there are a few venues where the same bunch of scobies that get pissed up and start rows back home are just doing the same thing here.

You can be as melodramatic as you like Tickers, but until you get off Tracy Grimshaw's bandwagon and read the facts for yourself, you'll never be convinced.

So you've taken a few crime stats from different parts of Australia and tried to fudge these some way into excusing bad behaviour by Irish people in Australia because they fit into a certain age bracket???

Rather than say that what these people are doing are wrong, posters have decided to have a go at me for being melodramatic and "stereotyping" choosing to excuse bad behaviour because it's deemed acceptable in whatever town or village they're from in Ireland because it's only a bit of craic.

C how did you come to the conclusion that I was refusing to participate???

Your complete failure to post any meaningful information

Your persistent bumping of the thread every 6 months when a news story breaks involving someone Irish in Australia doing the wrong thing

Comments like this, without any information to refute the point:
    So you've taken a few crime stats from different parts of Australia and tried to fudge these some way into excusing bad behaviour by Irish people in Australia because they fit into a certain age bracket???

Ridiculing someone with first hand experience of Australian society, again without offering anything to refute the point made by Aido.
    Not another "I've lived in Australia and therefore know everything there is to know about the country" poster. Just what we needed.

The fact that you go as quiet as a church mouse for 6 months, because the reality of the situation is that you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

At the moment going to Australia for Irish youths is a bit of a coming of age thing to do. Just like Doing a European trip is for many young Australians. Anyone who's been at certain European festivals like the running of the bulls or even resorts just before and after it will see hoards of drunk Australians behaving badly.

I dont like to see young Irish people acting the maggot but they arent the only ones, most societys with some money will do something similar.

Your complete failure to post any meaningful information
    Your persistent bumping of the thread every 6 months when a news story breaks involving someone Irish in Australia doing the wrong thing
    Comments like this, without any information to refute the point:
    Ridiculing someone with first hand experience of Australian society, again without offering anything to refute the point made by Aido.
    The fact that you go as quiet as a church mouse for 6 months, because the reality of the situation is that you are wrong, you have been shown to be wrong and your only solution is to wind people up.

and the attacks just keep on coming. Typical online behaviour where anyone who has an opinion outside of the received message is accused of sterotyping, trolling and in this case just plain name calling to try and silence an opinion that is not the received message.

What exactly are people getting so upset about, everything I've highlighted I've backed up and in terms of dragging old threads, this is an ongoing issue that if I was to start a new thread for each incident then posters would argue that these are isolated incidents.

It's incredulous that posters are getting so defensive about these incidents being highlighted that they suggest the Australian media has a bias towards Irish people when it's widely accepted in Ireland that culturally we have detrimental relationship with alcohol. Why is it so hard to accept that when we travel abroad that somehow the way we engage with alcohol is going to change and is it no wonder that these incidents that we just pass off as a bit of craic are not considered acceptable in other countries and that is the reason why we see them being reported in the newspaper and not the bias of the Australian media?

Well tickers if taking it personally gives you company then I'll be bowing out now.

Get help.

and the attacks just keep on coming. Typical online behaviour where anyone who has an opinion outside of the received message is accused of sterotyping, trolling and in this case just plain name calling to try and silence an opinion that is not the received message.

What exactly are people getting so upset about, everything I've highlighted I've backed up and in terms of dragging old threads, this is an ongoing issue that if I was to start a new thread for each incident then posters would argue that these are isolated incidents.

It's incredulous that posters are getting so defensive about these incidents being highlighted that they suggest the Australian media has a bias towards Irish people when it's widely accepted in Ireland that culturally we have detrimental relationship with alcohol. Why is it so hard to accept that when we travel abroad that somehow the way we engage with alcohol is going to change and is it no wonder that these incidents that we just pass off as a bit of craic are not considered acceptable in other countries and that is the reason why we see them being reported in the newspaper and not the bias of the Australian media?

You have yet to make a valid point or provide any credible information to support your argument, sweeping generalizations about what is
    considered acceptable in other countries
    don't really cut it.
    I provided a wealth of information about what Australian society does and how they conduct themselves when alcohol is in the picture,yet you persistently sidestep these facts, preferring instead to bleat about how unbiased the Australian media is. (despite the fact that pretty well every newspaper in Aus that you have provided links to is either privately owned (Murdoch, packer, Fairfax etc.) or is focused directly on its target audience of Irish people (Irish Echo).

Why do you consider them more credible than the Australian governments crime statistics and alcohol abuse statistics?

Why will you not look at the numbers and draw your own conclusions ?

As soon as you are prepared to inform yourself of the realities, I'll engage in this discussion with you. Until then, you keep clipping your headlines and putting them in your "Bad Backpacker" scrapbook.

I'll continue to use the bridge. I'm over it, this is a non-issue that you are stuck on for some reason. Hopefully sometime in the future you'll either make it this far and see for yourself, or find some other sensationalist 7pm newsgrab on a slow day to bleat about.

Best of luck with the MHI.

• Advertisement

I don't believe ignorance should be punished.

I think a diet of restricted Padraig Collins articles would help.

Or maybe not ignoring the fact that the same man has commented on the bias in media and Australian society's happiness to lap up any old blather about the antics of the Irish. It sells papers and fills column inches and minutes of airtime. It's just a shame there are so many real issues that get blithely ignored so that these sort of distracting non-stories can be trumpeted by those who want to seem informed about topics they know close to nothing about.

C'est la vie.

Advertisement