Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on over there??? - See mod warning post 194 BEFORE posting!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

on the plus isn't there a shortage of builders in Ireland now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Here we go again. 24 Irish people deported http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/australia-deports-24-irish-people-over-alleged-building-scam-1.2076836

These are turning into weekly incidents. The Irish must have a terrible name in Australia.

Do you know the difference between Roma and Romanian?

Do you know the difference between droll and troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Here we go again. 24 Irish people deported.

These are turning into weekly incidents. The Irish must have a terrible name in Australia.

Must be the Anti-Irish media upto their old tricks again, they need to unwind a bit, they are to uptight, I mean the Canadians and British must be doing it to just that they don't get the media attention, they all need to gamble, Drink and take roids more... Or so some Posters here would like to portray...

catbear wrote: »
    on the plus isn't there a shortage of builders in Ireland now ?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

mikom wrote: »
    Do you know the difference between Roma and Romanian?

Do you know the difference between droll and troll?

I see, so the very posters who take offence at being stereotyped have no problem in doing so themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Well here's another gang of great representatives for the country........................ 26 Irish people being deported back to Ireland from Australia................... Must say we breed them well.............

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/alleged-irish-crime-gang-to-be-deported-after-rooffixing-scam-exposed-20150123-12wjjq.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I have tried to avoid feeding this troll but this thread is making me cringe.

The old Irish catholic guilt is alive and well.

Let's not just worry about our own actions but take responsibility for every knobhead who happens to share our nationality by accident of birth. Give me a break!

I am comfortable with my nationality, and myself, and give zero fooks about defending or accepting any sense of reflected shame or guilt by national association.

If any Australian is stupid and narrow minded enough to judge "the Irish" based on these slow news day, click bait reports then I don't really care about their opinion tbh.

If you are offended by stupid, p1ssed backpacker behavior in Australia, it really is quite easy to avoid. If you are seeing these incidents of drunken muppetery every week, then obviously you are going to wrong places and need to broaden your social horizons. In 4 years living in Melbourne I can't remember seeing anti-social behavior of note in places I frequent.

Anyway. If you are back in Ireland glued to news outlets seeking new reasons for moral outrage, well, then I'd respectfully suggest you find a hobby or a social life or something more productive to keep you occupied. Maybe even focus on some of the real problems that exist on our own doorsteps and not get caught up with worrying about behavior of a few idiots on other side of the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jackbhoy wrote: »

Let's not just worry about our own actions but take responsibility for every knobhead who happens to share our nationality by accident of birth. Give me a break!

I am comfortable with my nationality, and myself, and give zero fooks about defending or accepting any sense of reflected shame or guilt by national association.

If any Australian is stupid and narrow minded enough to judge "the Irish" based on these slow news day, click bait reports then I don't really care about their opinion tbh.

If you are offended by stupid, p1ssed backpacker behavior in Australia, it really is quite easy to avoid. If you are seeing these incidents of drunken muppetery every week, then obviously you are going to wrong places and need to broaden your social horizons. In 4 years living in Melbourne I can't remember seeing anti-social behavior of note in places I frequent.

Anyway. If you are back in Ireland glued to news outlets seeking new reasons for moral outrage, well, then I'd respectfully suggest you find a hobby or a social life or something more productive to keep you occupied. Maybe even focus on some of the real problems that exist on our own doorsteps and not get caught up with worrying about behavior of a few idiots on other side of the planet?

Best post in this thread, judge people on their actions rather than condemn or defend them solely on their nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

The Aussie wrote: »
    Must be the Anti-Irish media upto their old tricks again, they need to unwind a bit, they are to uptight, I mean the Canadians and British must be doing it to just that they don't get the media attention, they all need to gamble, Drink and take roids more... Or so some Posters here would like to portray...

Said poster has Paddyville, Co. Paddy set as his location :rolleyes:

A pathetic post to put it mildly

William F wrote: »
    A pathetic post to put it mildly

Why, every one of those points was made in this Thread as an excuse for Scumbaggery in some lame attempt to blame Australia for the actions of adults from another Country.

Was it only when you read them put together you realised how stupid those points were? Look at this 1 post below from yourself, 4 attempts at deflecting blame in 1 post, the Mammy of a spoilt brat Tiger Cub would find it hard to compete with that level of excuse making.

I think this says more about Australian culture than it does Irish.

There are an equal number of Irish in Canada and USA but you rarely hear any hysteria in the media about their shenanigans.

If anything, the Irish drinking culture is celebrated their. I think there was one situation where a couple had sex at the back of a bar during St. Patrick's Day but most people laughed it up.

I think Australians are just uptight and need to unwind a little.

Thats one big cup of LOL right there.
    Besides, you must have ignored all the j1 Scumbag stories from the States, they do get media attention, but you can ignore them for the sake of your cool stories...
    Said poster has Paddyville, Co. Paddy set as his location :rolleyes:

Do you need a Kleenex there William :pac:.....

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Best post in this thread, judge people on their actions rather than condemn or defend them solely on their nationality.

Yeh, about sums it up, blaming 4.6 million for the actions of 1 person is equally stupid as defending a moron because of the Passport he/she carries, but every thread like this throws up the same blame shifting fools who find it easier blame 23 million people because... Well because....... They......... (I don't know, will have to wait for one of the defenders of stupidity to come along to finish the sentence)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

I haven't seen a drunk Irish person acting the clown in at least 2 years. That may well be cause I don't frequent their usual haunts.

And yes, I do get ashamed when I see these type of stories. These gobshytes are supposed to be ambassadors for their country and the actors of a few tar many.

However, I will add that Australian media is the pits. Pure gutter dwellers and they do love to sensationalise stories, especially when it doesn't involve one of their own.

As for the OP, stirring for a fight and getting it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Be careful what we wish for.

British man convicted after attempted intercourse with mailbox

Article in the Indo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

The Irish must have a terrible name in Australia.

No, no we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

24 Irish deported.

It's a shame Darwin's Law takes sooo long...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'be never felt unwelcome in Perth. In fact I've been told "we need more of your type", upon asking I was told that type meant English speaking anglo-celt.

If you dig a bit you'll find that WA has a disproportionate Irish influence from it's early wheatbelt expansion right up to the post war period when emigration from other European nations was promoted under the White Australia policy.

jackbhoy wrote: »

Why is it a reoccurring theme in this thread that anyone who challenges this bad behaviour has nothing better to do, is glued to news outlets, doesn't get out much or needs to broaden their social horizons? The fact that you felt the need to write a lengthy post to that effect highlights that you do feel ashamed by the actions of those with whom you share a national association, and would rather attack me than accepting that the actions of some Irish in Australia are reflecting badly on Irish people in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Why is it a reoccurring theme in this thread that anyone who challenges this bad behaviour has nothing better to do, is glued to news outlets, doesn't get out much or needs to broaden their social horizons? The fact that you felt the need to write a lengthy post to that effect highlights that you do feel ashamed by the actions of those with whom you share a national association, and would rather attack me than accepting that the actions of some Irish in Australia are reflecting badly on Irish people in general.

It's remarkable that calling muppets on their behaviour seems to be some kind of Shoneenism. That sort of "my country right or wrong" rubbish should be left to US right wingers.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Ok...I accept that the actions of some Irish in Australia are reflecting badly on Irish people in general. Now what exactly is your point??

These news reports are almost on a weekly basis now

I bet you'd struggle to come up with 10 relevant links for Irish behaving badly over the last year, not to mind the 50 or so you suggest.

• Advertisement

elastico wrote: »
    I bet you'd struggle to come up with 10 relevant links for Irish behaving badly over the last year, not to mind the 50 or so you suggest.

I could think of a few (not even 10) and that's including Court Cases from events a year ago, but Tickers is extracting urine a fair bit if he thinks it's that much of an issue, but if your into broad sweeping generalisations yes 1 imbicile tarnishes all :rolleyes:

I could think of a few (not even 10) and that's including Court Cases from events a year ago, but Tickers is extracting urine a fair bit if he thinks it's that much of an issue, but if your into broad sweeping generalisations yes 1 imbicile tarnishes all :rolleyes:

So far I am aware of.

1/ Guy thumps his brother with one punch with unintended serious consequences. Unfortunate family tragedy sadly.

2/ Muppet gets stuck in ventilator shaft trying to get into a nightclub. Hardly a major incident.

3/ Makee uppey tabloid newpaper article about 26 Irish being detained. No names, no court details etc. so it doesn't count as its a completely unverified gutter media article for now.

4/ Guy opens fire hydrant but that was nearly 2 years ago so doesn't count in this weekly incdent report.

And the Perth Stabbing (dont know how far back it happened but case was within the past 6 Months)
    So that makes 5 over a fair timeframe, still not up there with master criminals yet.

Edit: can't believe we almost forgot about this piece of human feces.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057154321
    Just sneaks in under the 12 month radar although his offences were well before hand and he was only there hanging around being a bad smell, should have gone waaaayyyy earlier.
    So upto 6. With an extended timeline once again.

Although I would not call the deportation of a Criminal Gang a Makee Uppy thing to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

I would not call the deportation of a Criminal Gang a Makee Uppy thing to be fair...

I dunno how in the feck they got in. Encountered 2 of them after they crashed over a bollard in west Perth.

And the Perth Stabbing (dont know how far back it happened but case was within the past 6 Months)
    So that makes 5 over a fair timeframe, still not up there with master criminals yet.

Edit: can't believe we almost forgot about this piece of human feces.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057154321
    Just sneaks in under the 12 month radar although his offences were well before hand and he was only there hanging around being a bad smell, should have gone waaaayyyy earlier.
    So upto 6. With an extended timeline once again.

Although I would not call the deportation of a Criminal Gang a Makee Uppy thing to be fair...

The 26 irish is only a newspaper article for now, if it becomes a court case with names and details etc. I would include it.

The stabbing was a couple of years back, we need 1 incident a week, even if we count them all we are still only at 6.

Th

we need 1 incident a week, even if we count them all we are still only at 6.

You fellas over there really need to pull your finger out to be honest, your not living upto expectations if all you can muster is 6 incidents over a number of years...

Here we go with the justification again. Why is 10 the magic number, what type of selective criteria suggests that if the number of incidents is less than ten (which it isn't) somehow that's ok?

Here we go with the justification again. Why is 10 the magic number, what type of selective criteria suggests that if the number of incidents is less than ten (which it isn't) somehow that's ok?

You opened a thread making a claim that there are almost weekly incidents of irish causing havoc in Australia.

So far we are able to find about 2 or at a stretch 3 incidents a year, which makes them quite rare

Are you in a position to back up you claim of 50 or so incidents a year or not?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

You opened a thread making a claim that there are almost weekly incidents of irish causing havoc in Australia.

So far we are able to find about 2 or at a stretch 3 incidents a year, which makes them quite rare

Are you in a position to back up you claim of 50 or so incidents a year or not?

Hope he doesn't start a thread about the Irish causing trouble in Ireland :-P

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    Hope he doesn't start a thread about the Irish causing trouble in Ireland :-P

Don't know about that, there is a poster on this forum constantly crying about the mayhem and chaos the Australians cause in Australia... Oh and roid abuse, don't forget about the roid abuse :rolleyes:
    Pathetic really...

Advertisement