Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM PUNK

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

John_D80 wrote: »
    No mate, I'm quite knowledgable on the origins of MMA and in no shape or form was pro wrestling a major influence on it as a sport.

Given, there have been a handful of crossover athletes to be sure but they were almost all to a man, experienced martial artists and/or high school or collegiate wrestlers who just happened to be pro wrestlers as well. But they are very small in number and account for a tiny percentage of MMA fighters even in the early days of the sport and the sport would have flourished with or without them.
    No mate, you don't have a clue, Shooto and Pancrase both used pro wrestling rulesets as they were founded by pro-wrestlers, most of their early competitors were former shoot wrestlers. The guy who helped found Pride and made it a popular success,Takada, was a pro-wrestler, RINGS where Fredor, Nogueira and others made their break also started off as a shoot wrestling group by a pro-wrestler Maeda before switching to MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jesus lads yous are all mad, who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

ASOT wrote:
    Jesus lads yous are all mad, who cares.

Haha sorry. But as a big fan of both wrestling and MMA I can't help but get irritated when someone who has no knowledge acts as if wrestling is for simpletons and waves the MMA flag not realising the hypocrisy of the statement they've just made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wait what? You're actually seriously trying to tell me that people like Sonnen and McGregor take some sort of inspiration and/or get ''dialogue'' from Pro Wrestling.

Christ, you do realise that MMA fighters aren't playing ''characters'' dont you? Its very much real, unrehearsed and not staged.

Sorry mate but that is pure and utter bollocks.

Easy Rod made it easy below for you to understand.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    McGregor and Sonnen play exaggerated versions of themselves to sell pay per views. They're cutting promos ala wrestling in order to make more money. "Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck" etc. etc. Josh Barnett is another example of someone who crosses the line into pro wrestling occasionally from his catch wrestling background.

Stop getting offended on behalf of the sport lads. They are fundamentally different but there are comparisons to be made whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

weight is a strange trade off when it comes to cutting and peaking performance I hope cm punk makes the right decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I wonder will the opposite ever happen? Would McGregor jump at a hundred million dollar contract to the WWE? To add a different perspective to wrestling would they introduce a BJJ expert or even an MMA fighter from any weight to try spice things up in the WWE?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ronda Rousy could turn up from time to time, if last year's Wrestlemania is anything to go by! There were rumours about Chuck Lidell a few years ago if I remember correctly. Only rumours though. Kurt Angle came into WWF (as it was at the time) from Olympic wrestling and became a megastar for a few years. Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn had decent runs back in the 90s. MMA was only in its infancy at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

BOHtox wrote:
    I wonder will the opposite ever happen? Would McGregor jump at a hundred million dollar contract to the WWE? To add a different perspective to wrestling would they introduce a BJJ expert or even an MMA fighter from any weight to try spice things up in the WWE?

It's only a matter of time to be honest. If they were able to throw enough money at Mayweather to get him to do it you'd imagine they could convince anyone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Wait what? You're actually seriously trying to tell me that people like Sonnen and McGregor take some sort of inspiration and/or get ''dialogue'' from Pro Wrestling.

Sonnen pretty much quoted Superstar Billy Graham word for word after one of his fights.

http://www.cagepotato.com/chael-sonnens-terrible-post-fight-speech-was-actually-ripped-off-from-superstar-billy-graham/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

BOHtox wrote: »

Could one day see mcgregor taking part at wrestlemania in some form. Considering you have three high profile irish wrestlers in the company i could see him doing something with them down the line. I imagine he was a big fan of pro wrestling they way he goes on sometimes.

Anyway cm punk what weight will he be fighting at if he does fight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Hello to all the haterz

12400870_957456610958862_7102147970576895340_n.jpg?oh=03d367905ac51d88590c23da64076851&oe=570810EA&__gda__=1460175195_287feefd34090aebccf697261a19d442

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

ricero wrote: »
    I imagine he was a big fan of pro wrestling they way he goes on sometimes.

I remember when he was being driven around in LV during one of his episodes he said "no chance that's what you got".

That is exactly the same line in Vince and Shane McMahon theme song in WWF/WWE.

So he must of being a fan for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hello to all the haterz

12400870_957456610958862_7102147970576895340_n.jpg?oh=03d367905ac51d88590c23da64076851&oe=570810EA&__gda__=1460175195_287feefd34090aebccf697261a19d442

Who is that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who is that?

Thread title didn't give it away, no? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Who is that?

Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Who is that?

Greg Jackson. He's a secret unlockable character if you win the world cup on hard l, while keeping all three of your lives

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thread title didn't give it away, no? :)

HHH?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

BOHtox wrote: »

I could see McGregor doing a Mayweather type deal at some point. Let's just hope they don't try to script his promos because that would really suck. I could definitely see Rouesy doing a Lesnar-type deal where she does 3 matches a year, she'd be perfect for WWE and re-vitalise the women's division which they are really trying hard to do.

Christ, you do realise that MMA fighters aren't playing ''characters'' dont you? Its very much real, unrehearsed and not staged.

Sorry mate but that is pure and utter bollocks.

It's not scripted but to some extent they are playing characters. I'm sure plenty of guys arrange stunts between themselves to promote fights or at the very least there is an understanding that if one guys insults the other, it's not personal. You seen all the things McGregor said about Aldo and then after the fight he was nice to him. It's not like any of the fighters really hate each other.

One thing about Punk is he was a good talker in WWE because he could be. But for example, in MMA he can't say things like "I am the best in the world" because he would look ridiculous. So he has to be humble which means his promos probably won't be that exciting. If he wins a couple of matches that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Easy Rod wrote: »
    McGregor and Sonnen play exaggerated versions of themselves to sell pay per views. They're cutting promos ala wrestling in order to make more money. "Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck" etc. etc. Josh Barnett is another example of someone who crosses the line into pro wrestling occasionally from his catch wrestling background.

Stop getting offended on behalf of the sport lads. They are fundamentally different but there are comparisons to be made whether you like it or not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ufc/article-3421652/Josh-Barnett-attacked-masked-wrestler-UFC-Fight-Night-New-Jersey-open-workout-not-sport-entertainment.html

Advertisement