Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM PUNK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Is that his WWF weight?

Either way, almost every fighter will cut weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

T-K-O wrote: »
    Is that his WWF weight?

Either way, almost every fighter will cut weight.

No sure the size of him, he falls into the heavyweight category.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

To me, his frame is small. He would be a small light heavy.

it's normal for guys to walk around ~15 pound heavier than their fighting weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's no where near heavyweight.
    6'2" and 220lbs is almost the size of Ryan Bader, Glover Teixeira or Rampage. (They'd be 220-225 imo).
    I'd say his 220lb statistic from WWE is exaggerated slighty.

Most likely CM Punk is closer to 205-210 and a little soft. Once he's in fight shape, he'll be 10lb lighter. And the cut to 185 is easy from there.

If he was a young amateur fighter, he's probably end up fighting at WW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

According to here CM Punk he will be fighting middleweight

But he weighs 220 pounds according to all sources online. How does this work?

Why do you think they do weigh-ins?

Hardly any fighter walks around at their weight class limit. Most are between 110%-120% their weigh-in weight. They slowly drop weight leading up to the fight, then in the last week they do a serious cut dropping the last 10-8 lbs. Then they bulk up over the next day anywhere from 10-20lbs. No middleweight fighter actually weighs 185lbs come the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

According to here CM Punk he will be fighting middleweight

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/weight-classes

But he weighs 220 pounds according to all sources online. How does this work?

He's probably nowhere near 220 lbs. WWE loves to exaggerate wrestlers heights and weights. He's probably just under 200 [190-ish] in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭therickster

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's probably nowhere near 220 lbs. WWE loves to exaggerate wrestlers heights and weights. He's probably just under 200 [190-ish] in real life.

agree, I'd think he's probably about 195-200.

I've meet a few of the WWE guys and he's much smaller than most of them. WWE always add on about 15-20lbs for each fighter.

Be interesting to see how he does, expect he'll have a fight right before Christmas sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Any word on when he will be fighting, other than sometime in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They'd love to get him onto the July 11th card w/ Aldo vs McGregor but at an educated guess it will be the big end of year card he is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Punk will bring in the PPV figures on his own, zero point putting him on a card with other big draws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

JJayoo wrote: »
    Punk will bring in the PPV figures on his own, zero point putting him on a card with other big draws

So MMA fans will have to buy tickets for an event headlined by CM? That'll go down well

They'll probably put him as a semi main event for his first fight. They'll want to take the pressure of being in the main event off of him for his first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Even having an 0-0 guy on PPV will be controversial no matter who he is, surely its going to have to be a Fox card??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

He'll be on a PPV alright but he's an 0-0 fighter he shouldn't even be co-main (I'm not saying that won't happen James Toney fight was co-main afterall). Have some WWE fans/interested casual come buy PPV for CM Punk win lose or draw hopefully a Mcgregor/Jones/Weidman etc. then retain their viewership. Others are right absolutely daft having a rookie MMA fighter headlining a UFC card and expect fans to buy it.

It'd be really foolish from their point of view to have him on the McGregor v Aldo card.
    It would also be a bit silly to make him on a Fight Night Card or even on an undercard.
    Fight 3 of a 5 fight PPV card makes the most sense to me, but can see the logic to having him as a co-main event.
    It's absolutely nonsense if fans (or fighter) act like a main card or co-main spot would be some insult or slight. The very fact we are discussing it long before any opponent is announced gives the fight all the credible popularity is needs to justify that spot imo.

scudzilla wrote: »
    So MMA fans will have to buy tickets for an event headlined by CM? That'll go down well

Did I say he would headline a show :rolleyes:

And it won't be MMA fans rushing to buy tickets, CM Punk will have one function and that is to get pro wrestling fans who have never bought a UFC PPV or watched a whole show to buy and watch, and it will pull in huge numbers.

Did I say he would headline a show :rolleyes:

And it won't be MMA fans rushing to buy tickets, CM Punk will have one function and that is to get pro wrestling fans who have never bought a UFC PPV or watched a whole show to buy and watch, and it will pull in huge numbers.

I wouldn't be too quick to say this.

Numbers will obviously be bumped but they'll be nowhere near huge (whatever you consider "huge" to be).

callaway92 wrote: »

Numbers will obviously be bumped but they'll be nowhere near huge (whatever you consider "huge" to be).

I think huge is a fair description. Punk's fan base is enormous, it absolutely dwarfs the fan base that Brock had. Also the WWE fans are used to buying WWE PPVs so parting with cash is no obstacle.

I think huge is a fair description. Punk's fan base is enormous, it absolutely dwarfs the fan base that Brock had. Also the WWE fans are used to buying WWE PPVs so parting with cash is no obstacle.

No way.....No way. .

This isn't even a close one in regards to who was the bigger draw coming into the UFC. Lesnar by a country mile..It shouldn't even be questioned (I'm a Huge fan of Pro Wrestling and MMA)

What do you consider 'huge' to be?
    I expect it to do do big numbers and definitely what I would call huge.

• Advertisement

No way.....No way. .

This isn't even a close one in regards to who was the bigger draw coming into the UFC. Lesnar by a country mile..It shouldn't even be questioned (I'm a Huge fan of Pro Wrestling and MMA)

Well think about all the talk that is happening so far, and Punk is at least 6 months from having a fight. I think Punk has almost an iconic image amongst wrestling fans. He is also a billion times better at talking/promoting than Brock was.

But that's just my opinion..... whch is clearly the right opinion :pac:

It also allows Dana to say that he isn't giving Punk another fighters place on a big card, yet knowing that punk will bring in a big PPV amount of buys all on his own.

Mellor wrote: »
    What do you consider 'huge' to be?
    I expect it to do do big numbers and definitely what I would call huge.

I'd consider 'huge' in 2015 to be 750-800k+ buys.

It depends on the card he's put onto of course how it actually does. A card with something like Mighty Mouse in the main event would be more telling than something along the lines of a Weidman v Belfort main event which will do well anyway.
    Well think about all the talk that is happening so far, and Punk is at least 6 months from having a fight. I think Punk has almost an iconic image amongst wrestling fans. He is also a billion times better at talking/promoting than Brock was.

But that's just my opinion..... whch is clearly the right opinion :pac:

It also allows Dana to say that he isn't giving Punk another fighters place on a big card, yet knowing that punk will bring in a big PPV amount of buys all on his own.

'I think Punk has almost an iconic image amongst wrestling fans'

Ehm, no he doesn't. His career was actually a huge let down with him leaving so early into his peak.

'a billion times better at talking/promoting than Brock was'

Have you seen any interview he has done yet since signing? He seems very quiet, laid back, shy and almost nervous in everything he has said, which from a fan's perspective is disappointing. He has to be humble though. Brock can hold his own on a microphone. For some reason, people often say he's not a great talker. His stuff with Frank Mir was perfect.

He was a great talker in pro wrestling, yes, but pretty much everything for him in WWE was scripted.

'But that's just my opinion..... whch is clearly the right opinion'

Good man, yeah. . .

Well think about all the talk that is happening so far, and Punk is at least 6 months from having a fight.
    Around 9-12 months, I think. He said recently they were looking at something in Nov/Dec. Possibly early 2016.
    Which as you said, only gives them more time to build steam.
    I'd consider 'huge' in 2015 to be 750-800k+ buys.
    That's more or less what I'd call huge too tbh.
    And honestly, I think he'll get close.

Ehm, no he doesn't. His career was actually a huge let down with him leaving so early into his peak.
    Thats probably the best way to maintain interest tbf.
    If his peak was said and done 5 years ago, this story wouldn't get as much attention

demixed wrote: »
    Even having an 0-0 guy on PPV will be controversial no matter who he is, surely its going to have to be a Fox card??

Punk will not be fighting on Fox. Punk was brought in to boost their dying PPV buys. They want us to pay $60 for Punk's first MMA fight. No way they're going to give that novelty away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Punk will not be fighting on Fox. Punk was brought in to boost their dying PPV buys. They want us to pay $60 for Punk's first MMA fight. No way they're going to give that novelty away for free.

In fairness anybody paying a ppv for punks first fight needs to hand over the bank cards and be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

am i the only one that thinks punk is gunna surprise everyone with his debut? I doubt he'll fight untill hes absolutely ready and with the money hes made from wrestling and the buzz around his debut he'll have access to the best trainers and gyms he'll be well drilled...cant wait for the fight and im fairly sure ill be backing him, serious balls to make a move like that

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

I think putting him on something like the mcgregor card is perfect. I would think not a lot off MMA fans will buy a card specifically for CM Punk, but a load of WE fans will.

Putting him on a Mcgregor card will get the following;
    1. turn a massive event in to much bigger one. The will get a bump of WWE fans whether it's a small UFC card or a big one
    2. Have a load of WWE fans buy a great card, which they watch and potentially become full MMA fans
    3. Having a showman like mcgregor might be more to the taste of a WWE fan, keeping their interest for future events
    4. Having him on a huge card would entice casual MMA fans to buy considering you have 2 title fights and "want to see the wrestler get smashed"

The UFC have a chance to broaden it's customer base here, I would think they'll be taking full advantage. I would be shocked if he's on a small card

Tony and Lesnar both had fairly big main events? Nog v silvia and Penn v Frankie

Sounds like he's no where near ready anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Has cm punk any background at all in fighting?

Dtp1979 wrote: »

A couple of years of BJJ at this stage.

• Advertisement

DuckHook wrote: »
    In fairness anybody paying a ppv for punks first fight needs to hand over the bank cards and be locked up.

True,but Zuffa is banking on the wrestling fans that left once Brock went back to the WWE will want to see Punk's fights.

Dtp1979 wrote:

Just some training at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, but considering how often WWE would be in CA that would be once every couple of months.

So in nutshell. No. Nothing for him to really hang his hat on.

Advertisement