Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is €3.70 a "reasonable" price for a 500 ml Irish craft beer in an off-licence?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

i have paid 3.70 for a bottle of beer in an offo, German i believe, if i would pay it for German, why wouldn't i pay it for Irish? But the times i have that sort of money are few and far in between :)

FYI Tesco's are doing 4 SchneiderWeisse for a tenner at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Speaking of pricing, here is a board from Brewdog in Dundee. Seems very high for the UK. Heard that Sweden was their best market.

B733IkPIgAIDYv_.jpg

B733IdFIcAASRQQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭squonk

drumswan wrote: »
    This is a bit of a stretch no? Duty increases alone would account for the difference in price in O'Briens from 'some time in the past' until today.

Im not sure the regulars I buy from Irish brewers have gone up any more than nominally. Its the new entries to the market which seem to be more highly priced.

I'm not speaking of 'some time in the past'. I'm speaking of 18 months ago. Now currently O'Briens have LF for €3.19 which is cheaper than the competition except Tesco obviously. I don't think the excise increases account for as much as you seem to think. Maybe 10-15c all in which is being very generous. I still think O'Briens are making a modest profit on each bottle. Like Tesco, their buying power probably allows them to sell cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

squonk wrote: »
    I can join Beoir of course for their discount but I'm not going to be buying enough for the volume discount on beers either.

You wouldn't buy 100 euros worth of Irish beers in drinkstore all year?

Beoir needs more people like you and most other people in this thread, there's too many yes men there. That can change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beoir needs more people like you and most other people in this thread, there's too many yes men there. That can change.

Don't you have to spend 50 at a time to get the discount or something like that?

I'd personally never spend that much on a single visit to any off licence, I usually buy three or four bottles at a time, storage is at a premium in my house, do to me being a home-brewer I can have anything up to about a hundred bottles of beer, or more, stashed all over the house - if I rocked up with fifty quid of beer from an off licence to add to that I'd probably get divorced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If I rocked up with fifty quid of beer from an off licence to add to that I'd probably get divorced.

Store the beer at your mistresses' place. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Don't you have to spend 50 at a time to get the discount or something like that?

I'd personally never spend that much on a single visit to any off licence, I usually buy three or four bottles at a time, storage is at a premium in my house, do to me being a home-brewer I can have anything up to about a hundred bottles of beer, or more, stashed all over the house - if I rocked up with fifty quid of beer from an off licence to add to that I'd probably get divorced.

Nope.

10% discount right now if you walk in and buy 1 bottle of any Irish craft beer.

Like I said before you're shooting yourself in the foot of you're not a member of Beoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭squonk

I woud. I'd put in an ordr maybe around the €250 mark to stock up on good beer to have around the house.

Thanks! That's a nice compliment. Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

irish_goat wrote: »
    Store the beer at your mistresses' place. ;)

she's the bleedin same but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

squonk wrote: »
    I'm not speaking of 'some time in the past'. I'm speaking of 18 months ago. Now currently O'Briens have LF for €3.19 which is cheaper than the competition except Tesco obviously. I don't think the excise increases account for as much as you seem to think. Maybe 10-15c all in which is being very generous. I still think O'Briens are making a modest profit on each bottle. Like Tesco, their buying power probably allows them to sell cheaper.

I still dont see this as a great example. You reckon LF has gone from €2.99 to €3.19, 10-15 cents of which is extra duty. So its gone up 5 or 10 cents in 18 months in O'Briens. Hardly outrageous. Particularly when it has gone down in price elsewhere.

I dont see many of the other first wave breweries hiking prices unduly either.

I think you'd be better off focusing on why something like 'Reel Deel irish Blonde' an unremarkable Pale Ale at 4.5% is on market at €3.70 rather than why one of Irelands best stouts at 6% is €3.20.
    St Lupulin wrote:
    Have you been pushing this agenda at beoir yourself? I havent heard much talk of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi St. Lupulin

If you feel there is an issue with Beoir polices or direction can you raise it on the forum. Or possibly contact our chairperson/Treasurer or PRO. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

What about some non alcoholic craft beer? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Gits_bone wrote: »
    What about some non alcoholic craft beer? ;)
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Like Shloer? :pac:?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I would agree with the point about the newer entries to the Irish Craft market all seeming to charge an average of 3:70 for their beers. A lot of which (in my opinion) are highly disappointing.

At that price point I would be highly unlikely to try them more then once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

folan wrote: »

Probably since you have to wait 25 or more years to drink that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

RasTa wrote: »
    Probably since you have to wait 25 or more years to drink that one.

Surely it's good-to-go once bottled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Surely it's good-to-go once bottled.

I think he means it takes 25 years before it's bottled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think he means it takes 25 years before it's bottled.

Ah, yes. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement