Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope's idiotic comment.

Options
  • 16-01-2015 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I don't have a link but in the newspaper today the pope is quoted as saying, free speech is a fundamental right and people have a duty to speak their minds, but if you mock religion you deserve to be punched. What a tw@t!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He's a legend!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Damn, and he was doing so well up till then...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Are we that hollow and insecure that we need to insult religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's not what he said. He said if someone cursed his mother he'd lamp them.

Anyhoo, I'm not much of a pope lover, but is he all that wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Silly Papa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Well aside from the obvious contradiction in what the idiot says, the catholic church's morals are quite warped aren't they? Mock religion and you deserve to be violently assaulted, but molest children and you should get off scot-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't have a link but in the newspaper today the pope is quoted as saying, free speech is a fundamental right and people have a duty to speak their minds, but if you mock religion you deserve to be punched. What a tw@t!

What the pope actually said.

That's not what he said. He said if someone cursed his mother he'd lamp them.

Anyhoo, I'm not much of a pope lover, but is he all that wrong?

No, he said if you mock religion you deserve the same as if you'd insulted his mother - a punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Tw@t of a post, completely out of context to what he said.

I did like his comment about if you insulted his mother,you get a punch , fair is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

He said he'd deck someone if they insulted his mother. Which is fine and all, but isn't he meant to turn the other cheek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Il Papa don't preach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That's not what he said at all. He said that if someone "cursed his mother", they could expect to get a smack.

I believe the point he was trying to make was that while he supports freedoms of speech, it's not ok to use it as an excuse to insult or antagonise people for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The thing I like about this pope is that he looks like a pope. The last fella looked like evil Matlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No, he said if you mock religion you deserve the same as if you'd insulted his mother - a punch.
    And that's his opinion, is he not entitled to it as much as you are entitled to yours?

Or do you think free speech should fundamentally exist to give you the right to mock and abuse others?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be fair if you're going to openly pledge your devotion to a bunch of 2,000 year old stories based on nothing but blind faith then you should be open to having that devotion mocked.

It isn't the people doing the mockng who are shown to be insecure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

He's a legend of a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You son of a bitch!
    Cue Papal Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Practically everything insults somebody's religion.

Are religious people that insecure that words said by someone else can shake their beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Leviticus 24:10-23English Standard Version (ESV)

Punishment for Blasphemy

10 Now an Israelite woman's son, whose father was an Egyptian, went out among the people of Israel. And the Israelite woman's son and a man of Israel fought in the camp, 11 and the Israelite woman's son blasphemed the Name, and cursed. Then they brought him to Moses. His mother's name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan. 12 And they put him in custody, till the will of the Lord should be clear to them.
    13 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 14 “Bring out of the camp the one who cursed, and let all who heard him lay their hands on his head, and let all the congregation stone him. 15 And speak to the people of Israel, saying, Whoever curses his God shall bear his sin. 16 Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So he'll respond to mere words with an act of violence?

I'm not even Christian and I find that morally wrong and reprehensible! What harm do words do to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well aside from the obvious contradiction in what the idiot says, the catholic church's morals are quite warped aren't they? Mock religion and you deserve to be violently assaulted, but molest children and you should get off scot-free.

Im not sure what it is OP, but I think, that just maybe, *maybe*,
    your not a fan of the Catholic church.

And that's his opinion, is he not entitled to it as much as you are entitled to yours?

Or do you think free speech should exist to give you the right to mock and others?

Firstly do you not see the irony, he's saying "I support free speech unless you say something I don't like, in which case you deserve to be assaulted."

Secondly what about his Christian turning the other cheek bollox which he clearly doesn't believe in? Not to mention it would be nice to see the catholic church that passionate about stamping out their abuse of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think the message he was trying to convey was that every person has a breaking point, and at some point it becomes unreasonable for you to not expect an emotional reaction if you are intentionally offending someone.

It is the responsibility of the person who is offended to control their anger.

Im not sure what it is OP, but I think, that just maybe, *maybe*,
    your not a fan of the Catholic church.

Why, because I pointed out that the pope said something stupid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

It's the pope, what did you expect his position on religion would be? Plus punching people is alot more manly than shooting people.

Not quite the religion bashing thread you'd hoped, eh OP?

Back to the Atheism forum you go. Plenty of like-minded 'persecuted' people there

I'm not an atheist. Can you really not tell the difference between criticising what one person has said, and "religion-bashing"? I take it that you are a catholic then if you are so offended by someone pointing out that the pope has said something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is forgiveness not what the church is all about?
    Is all lamping of people not therefore wrong?

Why is mocking certain people or groups in comedy ok but religion is off the table? Bit precious, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Don't kick kick Bishop Brennan up the arse is my takeaway from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

From here:
    There are so many people who speak badly about religions or other religions, who make fun of them, who make a game out of the religions of others,” he said.
    They are provocateurs. And what happens to them is what would happen to Dr Gasparri if he says a curse word against my mother. There is a limit.”
    He's basically saying that if you criticise religion that you deserve any violence that you receive in retaliation.
    Fairly disgusting comments to make in light of recent events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

In fairness he is right.

You can insult and mock all you want, freedom of speech and expression cannot be suppressed, but you must expect that people will react to it, and probably not a good way.

Everyone has a breaking point, is what I think he was trying to say.

Advertisement