Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hudhastings

One bet tomorrow. Ackertac is huge at 28/1 3.35 Ascot. Fared well for a long way behind John's Spirit at Cheltenham two starts back, and ran much better than the bare result in The Young Master's disqualified win at Wincanton, again travelling well before being hampered. I do wonder if he would be better over further, but he's now 10lbs below his 14 lengths beating by Holywell at Cheltenham, and is worth a shot.

5th unlucky made mistake one of last jumps felt he would have been placed 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

5th unlucky made mistake one of last jumps felt he would have been placed 3rd

Traded around the evens mark. No joy but if you're backing 28/1 shots that'll hit that in running you'll do alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

IMO sprinter sacred ran a shocker based on his lofty rating.beaten 3l with 23lbs in hand that cannot be put totally down to fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

sting60 wrote: »
    IMO sprinter sacred ran a shocker based on his lofty rating.beaten 3l with 23lbs in hand that cannot be put totally down to fitness.

Well Dodging Bullets is obviously an improved animal too given he struggled to win any standard of race this side of Christmas in previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Even if Dodging bullets improved a few pounds on his best it leaves Sprinter Sacre well well well behind his previous exploits. Race fitness and an easy ride might well account for most of it all the same, and he wont have to beat much more than Dodging bullets to win the champion chase. 3-1 is very very generous.

Anybody know the plan for Uxizandre? Hes win over Dodging bullets at Cheltenham looks better and better, jumped like a stag that day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really encouraging run from Sprinter Sacre imo, I'd be very happy with that.

I'd be very happy with that run today from SS.
    The smile on Nicky's face told that he is pleased too.

I'm both pleased and happy with the 5-2 nrnb I've just taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Had a reasonable size bet on Dodging Bullets today but i'd be near enough certain SC will overturn form with him when they meet again.

His run was better than they would have hoped. He passed DB with about half a mile left and then faded quickly. At Cheltenham he'll extend away from him all the way to the line. 3/1 is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

TheTorment wrote: »
    I'd be very happy with that run today from SS.
    The smile on Nicky's face told that he is pleased too.

I'm both pleased and happy with the 5-2 nrnb I've just taken.

Im looking at that run much more pessimistically.
    It reminds me of Denman and Big Bucks return from long layoffs.
    Trainer was bullish about them going forward but ultimately they were never the same again. Hes a Festival lay for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

That will have blown the cobwebs off the beast. Sire De Grugy up next to see how he performs on his comeback. Queen Mother shaping up to be the best of the big 4 races at The Festival if everyone turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

Sprinter Sacre for the Queen Mother Champion chase is 11-4 with Powers, could i just ask guys here if thats offically non runner no bet with powers?, because i would def have a bit of that. I think he wasnt even pushed today and looked to be crusing until dodging bullets took him on. I think he will come on leaps and bounds for this run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Sprinter Sacre for the Queen Mother Champion chase is 11-4 with Powers, could i just ask guys here if thats offically non runner no bet with powers?, because i would def have a bit of that. I think he wasnt even pushed today and looked to be crusing until dodging bullets took him on. I think he will come on leaps and bounds for this run

Yep, NRNB. I've done a NRNB - Faugheen & SS - double with Paddy Power. Works out @ 7/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Yep, NRNB. I've done a NRNB - Faugheen & SS - double with Paddy Power. Works out @ 7/1.

I may follow you on that one , thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Im looking at that run much more pessimistically.
    It reminds me of Denman and Big Bucks return from long layoffs.
    Trainer was bullish about them going forward but ultimately they were never the same again. Hes a Festival lay for me.

Denmans first race back he was giving Madison Du Berlais 4lbs and was on a right handed on a sharp track which did not suit him. The year after Denman was only 7 lengths off an impressive Imperial Commander in the Gold Cup, in his next race going right handed, he was beaten by Planet of Sound by nearly the same margain IC beat him if I remember correctly.

Big Bucks came back as an 11 year old on heavy ground.

For what it's worth I think it would be crazy to lay him, he won so many races on the bit and today he was beaten after he came off it, I believe it was fitness that did him today not a very smart improving horse. They discovered blood in a nostil today too.

That will have blown the cobwebs off the beast. Sire De Grugy up next to see how he performs on his comeback. Queen Mother shaping up to be the best of the big 4 races at The Festival if everyone turns up.

I would be interested in place laying Sire Du Grugy, I think SS, Uxizandre and Dodging Bullets are better animals than him.

Wouldn't be overly concerned, doesn't sound serious and might be because he was shaken up which won't happen in March when he is fit.

The time looks good and I think Dodging Bullets could get 171/172 for that run, which would mean SS ran around 168/169, while he may not get back to 188 I think it's reasonable to suggest he could improve a stone for fitness from today which would be 182/183 and would take a serious performance from anything else to beat him.

Pricewise is putting up his CC selection/s on Tuesday so anyone fancying the likes of Uxiandre, I'd suggest getting on before he slashes a price. I'd say it'll be Kings horse if I had to guess

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Shemale wrote: »
    Wouldn't be overly concerned, doesn't sound serious and might be because he was shaken up which won't happen in March when he is fit.

Hmm i dont know about that. They never come back the same. He will definitely get a tough race in March. I'd love it if he wins but i'm not so confident

Pricewise is putting up his CC selection/s on Tuesday so anyone fancying the likes of Uxiandre, I'd suggest getting on before he slashes a price. I'd say it'll be Kings horse if I had to guess

Cheers for the heads up, very tempted to go in again, he is in most of my accumulators.

• Advertisement

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Hmm i dont know about that. They never come back the same. He will definitely get a tough race in March. I'd love it if he wins but i'm not so confident

He wasn't shaken up 2 years ago and he blew them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Moon Dice wrote: »

I don't understand this tbh. I think its to confuse SS old standard with the standard it takes to win this CC. They are not the same thing. He won't need to return to his best to win.

He has 3 lengths to find on what for me is the yardstick this year. 3 lengths, thats all. The question is do you think a horse, any horse for that matter, can improve 3 lengths on first run of the season and a return to preferred better ground. I can't see how anyone can think the answer to that question is no. If you think DB can improve again then fair enough lay SS but SS is almost certain to eclipse todays run when he gets to Cheltenham.

The other question? Will he get back to 188? If i was betting i'd say no. But so what. 182 is still spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Denman2008

To me he looked like he just got tired, stop the race just before the straight and he is cruising. AP set a fierce pace to take advantage of SS lack of fitness, which was backed up by the time. Remember this was his first real run since Punchestown 2013, he was pulled up early enough at Kempton. With the better ground at Cheltenham, I think he can certainly turn around the form with Dodging Bullets, 11/4 great price imo.

To see one of the best horses that ever graced the turf to run/jump as he did is sad IMO.the real knowledgeable people can see this and to back this horse at cheltenham at 3/1 is obscene poor price.there is no doubt the camp is split on how he ran but I'm saying it was very very poor based on the horse we all love.I really hope the horse never runs again because I want to remember the real sprinter sacred.

To see one of the best horses that ever graced the turf to run/jump as he did is sad IMO.the real knowledgeable people can see this and to back this horse at cheltenham at 3/1 is obscene poor price.there is no doubt the camp is split on how he ran but I'm saying it was very very poor based on the horse we all love.I really hope the horse never runs again because I want to remember the real sprinter sacred.

What were you expecting of him, a horse returning from a heart problem to be 100% fit after guts of 400 days off, you think he would be 100% and win by half the track?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Denman2008 wrote: »
    To me he looked like he just got tired, stop the race just before the straight and he is cruising. AP set a fierce pace to take advantage of SS lack of fitness, which was backed up by the time. Remember this was his first real run since Punchestown 2013, he was pulled up early enough at Kempton. With the better ground at Cheltenham, I think he can certainly turn around the form with Dodging Bullets, 11/4 great price imo.
    Agree with that. Lack of fitness was telling at the close of the race, horse will definitely come on from that run.

Deal with the real facts dodging bullets beat a rogue (somersby) by 2 1/2 l,beaten by uxizandre by 2l ,beaten by uxizandre by 33l,beaten (very well held)In the arkle last year.maybe its me.

That's a very sentimental attitude. The horse is fine and healthy, travelled like the winner and just got outstayed by a younger improver on bad ground. Given he's came out fine from the run and should improve for Spring ground, connections have every right to keep him in training. Regardless of whether he ever gets back to the great heights of previously, any true racing fan will never forgot those great days.

That's a very sentimental attitude. The horse is fine and healthy, travelled like the winner and just got outstayed by a younger improver on bad ground. Given he's came out fine from the run and should improve for Spring ground, connections have every right to keep him in training. Regardless of whether he ever gets back to the great heights of previously, any true racing fan will never forgot those great days.
    Totally disagree big time my belief is he will be retired as he should be but its about opinions and what race we observed.I respect your opinion but I am totally convinced we won't see him again as that run we very very poor.

• Advertisement

Deal with the real facts dodging bullets beat a rogue (somersby) by 2 1/2 l,beaten by uxizandre by 2l ,beaten by uxizandre by 33l,beaten (very well held)In the arkle last year.maybe its me.

He got put up 7lbs for the defeat of Somersby.

Take Sprinter out of it and he beat 163 rated Twinlight by 8L (163 + 8 = 171), he beat 162 Somersby by 15L (162 + 15 = 177), he beat 152 rated Grey Gold 24L (152 + 24 = 176), while it's not an exact science it's not unreasonable to expect Dodging Bullets to get a mark of 170 plus for yesterday given they have all ran in and around their marks(bar Sprinter) and he beat them fair and square.

It's silly to try crab Sprinter Sacres race by trying to discredit what is clearly a smart improving horse.

Advertisement