Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    There is, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm really struggling ATM, work has me stressed out, having no normality is messing with my head as I'm a stickler for routine & then yesterday I was informed an old friend passed away from covid19 which has hit me harder than I'd have thought... this weekend I'm putting the phone away, no internet, no news etc & doing my best to detach... might have a beer too!

Sorry to be a downer in a positive thread guys, just looking to vent really... I'll go grab a coffee & get my head back in the game. :)

Hey no need to be sorry.

I feel the same way. That's why I went heavy on the list of positive things.

I'm disillusioned by the whole thing if I'm honest, work is busier than ever for me at the moment and my department was put under sever pressure to be present in the office, when arrive in the office this week I notice ALL other departments are Working from home.

When I approached my manager about this he said inbetween the lines if there's cutbacks to be made they'll start with our department first that why I wanted ye in here so the top man can see how busy and important we are.

The death toll is beginning to get to me, I'm disillusioned how work can't see they're actually putting lives at risk by remaining open. It may not be my life but it could be the life of someone I know.

All I want to do is spurge and eat all the things but that's a conflict at the moment as my OH wants to be good and when I spurge she's not impressed.

EDIT: I've noticed you've deleted your post I'm going to leave it in on my reply let me know if you want me to delete it out, I want to leave it in cause I want people to know positive thread or not, it's ok not to be ok all the time, these are tough times, but we will make it through it. This too shall pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Hey no need to be sorry.

I feel the same way. That's why I went heavy on the list of positive things.

I'm disillusioned by the whole thing if I'm honest, work is busier than ever for me at the moment and my department was put under sever pressure to be present in the office, when arrive in the office this week I notice ALL other departments are Working from home.

When I approached my manager about this he said inbetween the lines if there's cutbacks to be made they'll start with our department first that why I wanted ye in here so the top man can see how busy and important we are.

The death toll is beginning to get to me, I'm disillusioned how work can't see they're actually putting lives at risk by remaining open. It may not be my life but it could be the life of someone I know.

All I want to do is spurge and eat all the things but that's a conflict at the moment as my OH wants to be good and when I spurge she's not impressed.

EDIT: I've noticed you've deleted your post I'm going to leave it in on my reply let me know if you want me to delete it out, I want to leave it in cause I want people to know positive thread or not, it's ok not to be ok all the time, these are tough times, but we will make it through it. This too shall pass.

As mad as it sounds, and please dont take this the wrong way, its actually good to see I'm not the only one struggling balancing workloads & this mess going on in the world, my Mrs is being amazingly positive & is a real pillar of strength, and whilst we talk all the time I dont want to be giving her more stuff to take on board, so decided to vent online... on that nore, leave the quote of my post up, your reply links it well.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB, no need to apologies at all. I flip flop from not caring about what is going on to waking at night not being able to get back to sleep thinking about it. Its been messing with my head and its a battle at times to stay positive. Similarly, I'm lucky my wife is so strong and keeping the family together the last few weeks, especially as I'm very busy in work so spending a lot of the day up in the attic. Please feel like you can always vent on here, I think we will all end up doing it at some stage, for the sake of our sanity and marriages!!

LoughC- sorry to hear that work are been so inflexible. As much as I give off about my place my boss has been brilliant the last few weeks and has a young family as well so understands what it is like. I count myself lucky that I get to be at home all the time now and maybe at times take it for granted. As for your bosses logic re 'be seen to be busy' I find that a strange attitude. If they are going to make cuts I'm sure there is other metrics they will use than 'he was in the office so we'll keep him' approach! Maybe I'm wrong however it doesn't seem right they don't put their employees welfare first.

Its Friday!!!! My shortest day of work at this desk, yay!! I'll be going nowhere near this pc until Monday & as I'll be going for the weekly grocery shop tonight I'll be adding some treats of the beer, crisps & chocolate variety!!!

What a week, but we got through it ( or at least will have done in a few short hours!!)

Hope everyone has a nice weekend & manages to get some fresh air & time to relax. Take care & stay safe!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I know there mightn't be a lot to be cheerful about at the minute however I hope everyone has a nice Easter and enjoys the few day off (if you are!) and the hopefully the good weather will continue.

Happy Easter and stay safe.

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    I know there mightn't be a lot to be cheerful about at the minute however I hope everyone has a nice Easter and enjoys the few day off (if you are!) and the hopefully the good weather will continue.

Happy Easter and stay safe.

You too man.
    4 days off... bliss, even if we cant get out & do much I'm so weary of being sat at my desk at home and looking at the same 4 walls!

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thank goodness for Easter. :)

A nice 4 day break to relax and fill up on chocolate. Plus, it will really break the month up, unlike the 62 week abomination that was March.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Thank goodness for Easter. :)

A nice 4 day break to relax and fill up on chocolate. Plus, it will really break the month up, unlike the 62 week abomination that was March.

March madness that was a long ass month.

I’m working good Friday also known as tomorrow :(

March 2020 actually lasted longer than January 2018 which was the longest month of all time, ever... never genuinely thought a month could ever drag like that one, but march 2020 was like "hold my beer"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just popping in to say Hello and hope all you Christmas regulars are doing ok. Sorry to hear some of you are are having a tough time of it. I don't envy any of you having to work, during this demanding time. Stay safe and hopefully this will pass. I'm currently being driven up the wall by a 5 year old and a hubby " working from home. It's mental....the only respite is getting out to the garden for a break from the madness, but my " flower beds" have never looked prettier :D

Anyhow, something which might cheer you all up is the news that the 2020 Hallmark Christmas keepsake dreambook was released the other day, and can be viewed and downloaded from www.hallmark.com
    I have got my little one to pick out her ornament for Christmas 2020, which hopefully I will either order myself later in the year when they are released, or get my Aunt to purchase them for me. She lives only down the road from a Hallmark store.
    Can we add the Hallmark keepsake dreambook release to the checklist. It's always fun to browse,even if you don't buy or collect them.
    Happy Easter all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Sundew wrote: »
    Just popping in to say Hello and hope all you Christmas regulars are doing ok. Sorry to hear some of you are are having a tough time of it. I don't envy any of you having to work, during this demanding time. Stay safe and hopefully this will pass. I'm currently being driven up the wall by a 5 year old and a hubby " working from home. It's mental....the only respite is getting out to the garden for a break from the madness, but my " flower beds" have never looked prettier :D

Anyhow, something which might cheer you all up is the news that the 2020 Hallmark Christmas keepsake dreambook was released the other day, and can be viewed and downloaded from www.hallmark.com
    I have got my little one to pick out her ornament for Christmas 2020, which hopefully I will either order myself later in the year when they are released, or get my Aunt to purchase them for me. She lives only down the road from a Hallmark store.
    Can we add the Hallmark keepsake dreambook release to the checklist. It's always fun to browse,even if you don't buy or collect them.
    Happy Easter all!

Happy Easter Sundew, Thats a great idea and the dream book https://www.hallmark.com/digital-dream-book/?icid=shp_bp_brws_kpsk_digital_dream_book is lovely. Really cheered me up:D With all the entries written off the list this year because of you know what, something like this will cheer us all up:D:D

Since the lockdown our neighbourhood has started random acts of baking, where people bake stuff leave them on the neighbours wall for them to collect.

So far we’ve gotten apple crumble, banoffi pie and muffins.

We’ve baked scones, brownies and vanilla cupcakes.

It’s great excitement but my waist line can’t keep up :P

Since the lockdown our neighbourhood has started random acts of baking, where people bake stuff leave them on the neighbours wall for them to collect.

We're bad enough with all the chocolate, 16 eggs between the twins. And that doesn't include the ones we got for an easter egg hunt and the bars and other sweets they got... cake would kill me off altogether LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

anyone tries leaving baked shíte on my wall and I'll shoot the bastárd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

You should bake special brownies and record the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We’re after leaving a cake with a relative on their door step. It’s really awkward to let them know it’s there but we can’t talk face to face.

The day started off so cloudy but it is an absolute beaut of a day now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

And the same in Donegal thank god:D

Yeah, had the kids over in the park with the hurls African hour after I logged off for the day and it was a cracking evening. Especially for April.

I really believe come May 5th they will lift a lot of restrictions, which will help getting a bit of normality back in life.

• Advertisement

I really believe come May 5th they will lift a lot of restrictions, which will help getting a bit of normality back in life.

Fingers cross. Just hope it doesn't come back to bite us later in the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I think alot of people will be happy if they are even just able to go visit family.

I'm not expecting much TBH.

However one thing I am expecting is construction to return, in some guise anyway.
    The CIF issued their covid-19 site guidelines document last Friday for sites expecting to reopen on May 5th & I suspect this was done & issued in time (as they've probably been in communication behind the scenes) to allow themselves prepare as best they can to reopen & comply.

Possibly some more shops will open, hardware & electrical goods most likely, but cant see much else, maybe the 2km limit will be lifted, but be struggling to see anything beyond that.

I'm purposely limiting my expectations so as to try & mentally prepare for a lack of normality for a few more months.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Fingers cross. Just hope it doesn't come back to bite us later in the year!

I think if we keep pubs, restaurants and mass gatherings shut down for another while we'll be ok later on in the year.

Social distancing is here to stay until we have a vaccine so again that will help keep things under control.

And my reason to be cheerful today aside from the beautiful sunshine and the lunchtime walk in the park is I've booked Monday off for an extra long weekend.

I think if we keep pubs, restaurants and mass gatherings shut down for another while we'll be ok later on in the year.

Social distancing is here to stay until we have a vaccine so again that will help keep things under control.

Yes, no mass gathers for a good while, probably till a vaccine is readily available.

To be honest, don't miss pubs at all, must be getting old :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

And my reason to be cheerful today aside from the beautiful sunshine and the lunchtime walk in the park is I've booked Monday off for an extra long weekend.
    I've booked Monday and Tuesday off for an extra extra long weekend! :D

I'm putting in for a couple of Fridays off, gonna do the Friday of the bank holiday w/e as well meaning its another 4 day weekend coming up... though what I'll do with it other than 'not work' I have no idea :)

I'm saving most of my annual leave for later in the year. Not sure if I will get to take it all however can carry days to the next year so might look to take a week in late Aug/early Sept, all Christmas and mid term Feb 2021.

• Advertisement

Another beautiful day the warmth in the air is making things alot happier :)

Advertisement