Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

I wonder who this Stephen Leahy is - the purported creator of the series.

this is him i think
    http://ludus.co.uk/stephen-leahy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hiding in a cave in the middle of the Sahara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭George White

I was laughing at the fella from Longford who called his kids Taquesha and various exotic names because he saw them on the credits on the telly.
    It reminds me of the various ladies who called their children Demelza after the Poldark character. That is actually coming back this year, so the Longford lad's next daughter's name will be...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I was laughing at the fella from Longford who called his kids Taquesha and various exotic names because he saw them on the credits on the telly.
    It reminds me of the various ladies who called their children Demelza after the Poldark character. That is actually coming back this year, so the Longford lad's next daughter's name will be...

I'm just glad he wasn't watching My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

I think none of those series he created from original ideas were big hits.
    I know Cluedo ran for five seasons, but that was an adaptation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I was so, so hoping it wasn't the same Stephen Leahy who played major backstage roles on both the Krypton Factor and Catchphrase, among other fine UK game shows.

Then I clicked on that link... :(:(:(:(:(

Admittedly, he did also come up with two of ITV's late-night phone-in quizzes, The Mint and Glitterball.

But if those were blots on his copybook, then the Million Euro Challenge is a pretty big stain, I'm afraid to say. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Nah, I think I'll keep the €3 and put it towards the price of a pint. I'd be afraid I'd win and have to go on this crap show

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

i taught this was the funniest part of the show.

unless it wasnt a bugger coming out of his nose, then it wasnt funny.

rte.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

I came across this lottery site from Canada.

http://www.olg.ca/lotteries/faq_lotteries_information.jsp?game=pick4_faq

Not sure if its the same crowd that are running the Million Euro Challenge but they have this Pick 4 game which is similar to the first game on the show. "PICK-4 is a daily draw lottery game that gives players a chance to play four of their favorite numbers, ranging from 0 to 9, either by Straight Play or Box Play".
    Anyway according to the site the Odds of Winning on a Straight Play - match all 4 digits in the exact order is 1 in 10,000 :eek:

All I will say is I don't think we will be seeing the CODE cracked at the first go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Today in the Sunday World......

TKecJc8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Waste of time all round.
    Lottery won't can it because it is a cash cow now that the prizes have been slashed despite all the bad press it's getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

81k giveaway ??
    i think ill pass if my name ever gets called out for this

While I understand the prizes are not as great as winning streak 81k is a massive amount of cash. Look at prime time TV in the UK with over ten times our population there's nothing currently that comes even close to that amount or has the chance of a million giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Waste of time all round.
    Lottery won't can it because it is a cash cow now that the prizes have been slashed despite all the bad press it's getting.

I'd say it's losing customers left right and centre. Your average scratch card customer wouldn't have a notion about entering codes on the internet compared to just collecting letters and posting them away. The B.S of having two people participate turns me right of and then having to divide winnings. The only person happy with the current set up is Marty Whelan knowing his job is safe for another few years after the national lottery can bury the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Watched this for the first time.

What a load of rubbish. It should be called the austerity game show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

WILL Y'IS STOP WATCHING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't give them c*nts the satisfaction of thinking their ratings are through the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

RobertKK wrote: »
    Watched this for the first time.

What a load of rubbish. It should be called the austerity game show.

You have to see it as a comedy..!!! lol. Was it good this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

doc11 wrote: »
    While I understand the prizes are not as great as winning streak 81k is a massive amount of cash. Look at prime time TV in the UK with over ten times our population there's nothing currently that comes even close to that amount or has the chance of a million giveaway.

Yeah, if only they had a show called "The Million Pound Drop".
    Maybe they could get Davina McCall to host it............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

It was edge of the seat viewing. I think with the stakes so high, you could cut through the tension like a knife. Some real James Bond moments, will they, won't they...Nah I sent my last ever 3 stars in and cut to the end of the show. Name not called. Oh well, I'll live another day.

I think what this series needs to save it is a million pound winner. And even then, it's 500k each. Kind of a deceptive name to be honest.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think what this series needs to save it is a million pound winner. And even then, it's 500k each. Kind of a deceptive name to be honest.

And that will have to be next week, then listen for all of us shouting FIX;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

According to the Irish Independent, it's ratings dropped by about 150 000 viewers, so it's now gone well below the Winning Streak average audience of 333 000 viewers. And this was only by show 2, I wonder how bad episode 3's ratings are?

RTE are pulling the old 'well, this doesn't take into account those watching on RTE + 1' and 'we're happy with the format of the show' but I think everyone and their dog can see this show is dying a death.
    I think I accidentally turned over to it one sunday evening, for five minutes (the repeat, I didn't record it) and I haven't seen that many strained expressions on someone's face out side of 'our captors are treating us great...these bruises on my face are from a bad fall, and I broke my ribs whilst laughing'...and those are just the contestants.

This could very well be the nail in Nicky Byrne's TV career. The Hit didn't do too well for him, and now this is staining the TV.
    Just look at Laura Woods career after her show died on its butt. She's now stuck in the graveyard shift on TV3. Presenting a show that's on at the same time as Corrie, Eastenders, and Fair City. Might as well be starring in adverts for Littlewoods, for all the good it will do her.

People watching on plus one? I'd seriously question the sanity of someone who would go out of there way to watch this muck on time delay.

150000 viewers lost is shocking. It was always going to lose viewers after the first airing but a number like that shows a visible loss/lack of interest in watching this drivel.

Yeah, and those not buying the tickets I would argue is on a similar, if not greater, keel. I know many people who have given up buying them.
    So if the show isn't being watched, and the tickets aren't being sold, we may see the return of Winning Streak much sooner than expected.

My Grandparents religiously bought Winning Streak scratch cards for over twenty years but they've given up now. I expect there are hundreds of similar stories all over the country.

My Grandparents religiously bought Winning Streak scratch cards for over twenty years but they've given up now. I expect there are hundreds of similar stories all over the country.

Heard one lady on Radio KErry talk about how she would rush home from mass so as not to miss Winning Streak.
    Says now she'll stay on and say extra prayers instead, and take her time coming home. She's not time for this show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Won't say anything else. It is on for a guaranteed length of time. They can't sack him after 2 shows. I don't think he's the biggest problem anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

And even then, it's 500k each.

I haven't watched a full episode of this but I thought that the second person was just there to support the main player and therefore not entitled to any of the winnings unless the winner wants to share.

brian_t wrote: »
    I haven't watched a full episode of this but I thought that the second person was just there to support the main player and therefore not entitled to any of the winnings unless the winner wants to share.

:eek: :eek: You haven't watched a full episode,you don't know what you're missing.makes War & Peace look like an all Ireland hurling match. Do yourself a favour and keep it like that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brian_t wrote: »

That is the case I believe, which is weird as it's not like they need any help deciding which cd case to pick or anything. Perhaps they are there to keep the main contestant awake though? That would be a useful service I guess.

Advertisement