Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Just watching it here now. Nicky Button is better suited to the radio. The forced 'banter' with the pilgrims from beyond the pale is painful. Can the management please tell him to take his hands out of his pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

According to that article there is a 1:17 chance to win the million. No way are the odds that good, or have my maths skillsxlet me down. I would expect its less that 1% chance of getting the million.

I would put it at less than 1% chance. There is obviously someone behind the pyramid pushing out the drawers, it's far too easy to fix the amount being won.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

There's 6 lines in the pyramid right?

Line: Odds of hitting 0

1: 12/13 = .92
    2: 7/11 = .64
    3: 4/9 = .44
    4: 3/7 = .43
    5: 2/5 = .40
    6: 1/3 = .33

Multiply the possibility of getting each of those in a row = .0147

This is 1/68 chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

The chances of getting the full €32,000 amount in the first game Crack the Code are basically zero. There are far too many numbers and combinations but they already knew that. The cheeky buggers.

The chances of getting the full €32,000 amount in the first game Crack the Code are basically zero. There are far too many numbers and combinations but they already knew that. The cheeky buggers.

9x8x7x6?

= 3024? Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

ryanf1 wrote: »
    A sorry excuse for a TV show. Nicky Byrne does his best and I think he's actually quite good. But it's impossible to win any money and it's clear the show was put together at very low cost.
    If it was aired 25 years ago that I'd have said it was good quality but this is 2015.

Ah shur aren't all gameshows gone to the dogs. Look at Tipping Point. Ben: "5 counters have gone into the drop zone giving you £250" Contestant: "I can't believe it, I'm well chuffed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah shur aren't all gameshows gone to the dogs. Look at Tipping Point. Ben: "5 counters have gone into the drop zone giving you £250" Contestant: "I can't believe it, I'm well chuffed"

You mean Tipping Point that has been on air since summer 2012, and is liked by many folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

mikom wrote: »
    You mean Tipping Point that has been on air since summer 2012, and is liked by many folk.

Is there another?

Tipping point is really bad. So cringey.

Is there another?

There will be soon when they sell the concept for re-creation in other regions.
    Tipping point is produced by RDF/Zodiak Media. The group behind Being Human, The Secret Millionaire, Location Location Location, and The Inbetweeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Remember they used to go on a virtual tour of irelands tourists spots. Good times.
    I still dont know what the Acajun Fields are or whatever they used to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Thargor wrote: »
    I still dont know what the Acajun Fields are or whatever they used to say...

You mean that place in Mayo with that pyramid-shaped building? :o:D:);)

I used to buy one WS scratchcard every week to try my luck. I'm going to start playing the lotto instead or use the money to buy tickets for local draws. They must be giving out a lot more 3 stars with this gameshow too. I got 3 scratchcards with 3 stars in a row. My sister got 2, 3 stars cards in a row. I used to rarely get scratchcards with 3 stars with the WS format.
    Why not just buy a prize bond every week instead? The money will pile up as an emergency fund for you, you'll have one line entered this week, 2 the next, 3 the next etc etc and you'll be able to withdraw it all if you ever need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tipping Point is dirge but there are plenty of decent quizzes and gameshows out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I like Tipping Point maybe its a throwback reminder to a mispent youth in arcardes ;-), but that's another stingy show. They should at least give the contestants what they get out of the machine.

You mean that place in Mayo with that pyramid-shaped building? :o:D:);)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9ide_Fields

Never even heard of it, will drive up next time Im home.

If you think it's really bad... think about what an Irish version might be like. :o:o:D;)

piperh wrote: »
    I like Tipping Point maybe its a throwback reminder to a mispent youth in arcardes ;-), but that's another stingy show. They should at least give the contestants what they get out of the machine.

It is hard on the eliminated contestants that they don't take home the money they've earned - but I suppose it keeps the costs down. :o;)

It is hard on the eliminated contestants that they don't take home the money they've earned - but I suppose it keeps the costs down. :o;)

Yep, it's not like they have folk from all over Ireland buying scratchcards to fund it........

Do people not realize how much those cards pull in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

At least a change from Winning Streak. The set looks good, graphics aren't great. The CDs and toast holders could go. I didn't even think you could get a 10 piece toast holder!

Yep, it's not like they have folk from all over Ireland buying scratchcards to fund it........

...I was talking only about Tipping Point. :o:o:o:o:);)

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    At least a change from Winning Streak. The set looks good, graphics aren't great. The CDs and toast holders could go. I didn't even think you could get a 10 piece toast holder!

And the title sequence doesn't have to consist of several close-up shots of the programme's name floating in space.

Derek Mooney's familiar phrases:

FANNNN.....TASTIC!!
    Win & Spin game:
    Time to Go To THEEEEEE..... "BUBBLE"! (as opposed to the Ball Machine)
    OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!.unlucky ... Back we must go to the BUBBLE!

To clarify what he said at the start of Win & Spin: "Let's start... THE BUBBLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!"

And at the end of the show: "See you next week! *waves both hands* BYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

It was actually a shame when he was replaced by Kathryn and Aidan, although of course this coincided with major revamps of both the show and the National Lottery (including the introduction of the smiling green star).

Then Aidan left after one year, to be replaced by Marty.

:o:o;)

Oh I would reckon it was not even offered to any of the other TV presenters (no disrespect intended to any of them) but I would imagine that The National Lottery, especially in light of it's recent shake up clearly specified that they now wanted a relatively youngish celebrity/ex-boyband member to front their new prime-time TV game show.

As I said before, Neil Delamere was believed to have been in the running. So was Angela Scanlon.

Of course, even if and when Winning Streak returns as suggested for the Summer months period, there is no guarantee that the new owners of The National Lottery/RTÉ will present it as follows:

2 TV Show Presenters: Marty & Sinéad
    5 contestants playing
    Run with the last Winning Streak order/type of games format used
    Identical prize money options with same minimum 20K each
    Same Big Wheel /Grand Prize winning segment amounts

It's got to have Marty and the wheel, though, right? :D

It obviously can't offer a million again, however. And I suppose the minimum amount that each player goes home with would have to be reduced to €10k or €15k.

As I recall, it was a number of factors - Who Wants to be a Millionaire I mean. First, ratings went down very quickly with that show (though quite a few can recall that one guy who was the only Irish person to not win anything. Like, zero money. He didn't know the name for a female rabbit, (a doe) and neither did the audience. He didn't make it to the 1000 euro question, and so, in front of a million Irish viewers, walked away with nothing. I still laugh about it at times to this day). It went from over a million, to a million, to just under a million, and gradually went down to about 300, 000 viewers.
    Well, for a show that is giving out big money, that's not good. So RTE tried fixing the format of the show. It originally aired half an hour before Fair City, then Fair City ran, and they the second half hour of Millionaire aired. As the ratings went down, they moved it in the timeslot, and a full hour aired. But ratings still went down, then they moved the day it was on (to the weekend I believe). Until finally, it lost its sponsor, and, like the recent Irish MasterChef, it did not get a new sponsor. (I believe Vodafone was sponsoring it).
    Without a sponsor, an audience, or someone to provide the money, the show was never resurrected.

Did the ratings fall very quickly?

I always thought they remained decent, despite the considerable number of dud questions.

Vodafone ending its sponsorship was definitely a major nail in the coffin, though.

RTE phone lines hopping with the complains about the show... lol

80 complain over Nicky Bryne's 'stingy' new gameshow on RTE

...I brought up that article first. Sorry. :o:o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Is it possible to see how much these scratch cards bring in each week?

h2005 wrote: »
    Is it possible to see how much these scratch cards bring in each week?

National Lottery Annual Report

WWTBAM? had a decent audience to the end, but when Eircell drop its sponsorship as Vodaphone it was dead.

How much was won from the pyramid? I didn't watch to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Apparently that Pyramid game was suggested to Nicky by Shane Filan...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Elmo wrote: »
    National Lottery Annual Report

WWTBAM? had a decent audience to the end, but when Eircell drop its sponsorship as Vodaphone it was dead.

How much was won from the pyramid? I didn't watch to the end.

€7,000

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Stingy Knuts. Local lotto only for me.

€7,000

That's low. It would be different if those on the Pyramid were guaranteed 20,000 from the pyramid and even that wouldn't make up for the amount of money given out in prizes.

Winning streaks lowest is €150,000 or €30,000 on average for each player.

It would be different if it was a gameshow attached to the Lotto draw like In It To Win It or wasn't a National Lottery Show

The only thing I can think of (apart from them bagging more money) that the prizes are so low is that someone will end up winning the million before the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The only thing I can think of (apart from them bagging more money) that the prizes are so low is that someone will end up winning the million before the end.

Apparently, there's a 17 in 1 chance of winning the million, so the law of averages suggests somebody will.

Any TV show can be made gripping with the right production. Deal or No Deal would be rubbish if it had somebody like Nicky Byrne presenting it and if instead of a Banker, an offer just appeared in a screen or an envelope. I mean there isn't any tension or suspense added to the final game, it's just the same monotonous melody playing in the background and Nicky flipping over a bit of paper. Dim the studio lights and play some ominous music and it's a lot more gripping.

Jesus, the people put in charge of this show presumably have qualifications and experience in producing programmes. How can they not at least see this?

Advertisement