Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched it on the RTE player earlier this evening, just to see what it was like.

......aaaand that's 50 minutes of my life I won't get back. It makes Winning Streak look like Mastermind.

Round 1 is vaguely interesting, but it has no tension. All contestants seemed to take 5-6 goes each to get it, so they all got the same amount.

Round 2 is confusing as hell and not very interesting at all. Oh! Two helicopters! Whaa?

The Pyramid is a painfully boring game of chance and even more low-tech than a spinning wheel (if that was possible).

I won't be watching it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Camera work is awful too.

Byrne made a few decent jokes but no one laughed and it was just awkward. Get the crowd locked, give the grannies coke and we'd all have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Gits_bone wrote: »

Byrne made a few decent jokes but no one laughed and it was just awkward. Get the crowd locked, give the grannies coke and we'd all have a great time.

You realise the show is filmed at 9 o'clock in the morning?

thelad95 wrote: »
    You realise the show is filmed at 9 o'clock in the morning?

House party in the studio starting the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Absolute crap show, And to think you have to spend €3 on a scratch card to get on the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Elmo wrote: »
    That's low. It would be different if those on the Pyramid were guaranteed 20,000 from the pyramid and even that wouldn't make up for the amount of money given out in prizes.

Winning streaks lowest is €150,000 or €30,000 on average for each player.

It would be different if it was a gameshow attached to the Lotto draw like In It To Win It or wasn't a National Lottery Show

€7,000 but when added to her other winnings it totaled the huge life changing amount of €25,000. Even she found it hard to hide her disappointment.

€7,000 but when added to her other winnings it totaled the huge life changing amount of €25,000. Even she found it hard to hide her disappointment.

And revealing the final amount.

Nicky Byrne - while the camera shifts to the envelope he's holding down near stomach and then back to full pan.

"Will we go to a br--I can see it, naught naught".

Haha. Yer wan seen that it was a cash amount and not a 0. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

How much was won from the pyramid? I didn't watch to the end.
    €7,000
    That's low. It would be different if those on the Pyramid were guaranteed 20,000 from the pyramid and even that wouldn't make up for the amount of money given out in prizes.

I think €7,000 is the lowest possible amount that can be won on the pyramid.

Let's say that the €1 you start with is your base total, and that any cash prizes you find and don't reject make up your minor total.

At each level, of course, you will either find a zero and multiply your base total by 10, or take a cash prize and increase your minor total.

If €2,000 is the minimum cash prize at each level, then...

5xsmew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Go Harvey Go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The only thing I can think of (apart from them bagging more money) that the prizes are so low is that someone will end up winning the million before the end.

What if someone won the million on the wheel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Is there an actual crowd, or is it canned laughter? The one time that I did look at the programme in it's entireity, I don't remember seeing an audience. There again, I did drop off for a while.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

madmaggie wrote: »
    Is there an actual crowd, or is it canned laughter? The one time that I did look at the programme in it's entireity, I don't remember seeing an audience. There again, I did drop off for a while.....

They weren't shown I'd say there is an audience.

Grannies on coke :)

They weren't shown I'd say there is an audience.

Grannies on coke :)

There is an audience - but it's smaller than Winning Streak's, and is seen on camera much less often.

Wouldn't surprise me, actually, if canned applause and canned laughter were used as well. :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Maybe Bertie buy's lots of scratch cards ? Or maybe he doesn't buy them !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

To clarify what he said at the start of Win & Spin: "Let's start... THE BUBBLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!"

And at the end of the show: "See you next week! *waves both hands* BYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

It was actually a shame when he was replaced by Kathryn and Aidan, although of course this coincided with major revamps of both the show and the National Lottery (including the introduction of the smiling green star).

Then Aidan left after one year, to be replaced by Marty.

:o:o;)

Well did Aidan Power actually choose to leave the show or was his contract just not renewed for the gig for the following series at the time? Aidan seems a genuine guy but I just never found him convincing or comfortable on the box when he did Winning Streak or the home movie bloopers show with Zig & Zag which was seriously lacking in terms of decent material - Aidan is probably not totally to blame to be fair - RTÉ TV & Radio make some very poor decisions at times and I think the guy has not been put into roles that he is best suited to quite often it seems.

cofy wrote: »
    I would put it at less than 1% chance. There is obviously someone behind the pyramid pushing out the drawers, it's far too easy to fix the amount being won.

I wonder is the weekly National Lottery game show not monitored by an independent adjudicator such as accountancy firm: KPMG or others? The Lotto draws in Ireland on behalf of The National Lottery have always been monitored/supervised as far as I recall. If not, why not given the potential for a large sum of money (i.e.) Up to €1,000,000 to be won some day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Maybe Bertie buy's lots of scratch cards ? Or maybe he doesn't buy them !!!!

He had great luck with the horses. ;)

Well did Aidan Power actually choose to leave the show or was his contract just not renewed for the gig for the following series at the time? Aidan seems a genuine guy but I just never found him convincing or comfortable on the box when he did Winning Streak or the home movie bloopers show with Zig & Zag which was seriously lacking in terms of decent material - Aidan is probably not totally to blame to be fair - RTÉ TV & Radio make some very poor decisions at times and I think the guy has not been put into roles that he is best suited to quite often it seems.

Well, I'd like to think that he chose to leave... :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

To clarify what he said at the start of Win & Spin: "Let's start... THE BUBBLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!"

And at the end of the show: "See you next week! *waves both hands* BYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

It was actually a shame when he was replaced by Kathryn and Aidan, although of course this coincided with major revamps of both the show and the National Lottery (including the introduction of the smiling green star).

Then Aidan left after one year, to be replaced by Marty.

:o:o;)

As I said before, Neil Delamere was believed to have been in the running. So was Angela Scanlon.

It's got to have Marty and the wheel, though, right? :D

It obviously can't offer a million again, however. And I suppose the minimum amount that each player goes home with would have to be reduced to €10k or €15k.

Did the ratings fall very quickly?

I always thought they remained decent, despite the considerable number of dud questions.

Vodafone ending its sponsorship was definitely a major nail in the coffin, though.

...I brought up that article first. Sorry. :o:o:o:);)

As for who wants to be a millionaire. They weren't huge drops...and then they were. It managed to stay above the million mark for quite some time, a good few months.
    But gradually, they declined quite a bit. I remember Keeping an eye on the ratings in the RTE Guide, at the time (Nerd, I know) and for a long time it stayed above the one million mark. Even Gaybo bragged about how it was the only show getting a million viewers on TV, and saying critics should take note.
    But after a few months, the show went below the one million mark, and it never went above it again.
    The drop was gradual at first, maybe 10 or 20 thousand, per week (from 1.2 million at the beginning) but those that stopped watching never returned.
    I also remember that whoever was in charge of the questions started to get lazy (fact checking went out the door). One question involved where would you find the lunula' in the body (it's the finger nail, the little crescent moon shape on the nails) but the contestant had a strong accent, coupled with a bad phone line, and so for the 'phone a friend' bit, the person listening gave him the wrong answer. He thought it was 'lunar' and told him to pick one of the other choices, the heart (semi-lunar valves). Contestant got it wrong, an went home.
    But the mess up hit the news, and the contestant was brought back because of the screw up. Well, that wasn't the only mess up. Second show with same contestant, they messed up another question with a wrong answer (contestant got it right, they said it was wrong)...and again had to invite the contestant to return...but this time he said no.
    That was kind of a turning point, and the ratings drop began to get much steadier. RTE tried the changes I mentioned before, and also did the age old 'celebrity' version...but this being Ireland, you know celebrities, real celebs, are in short supply. So they could not keep that going for long.
    Ultimately leading to its downfall.

As for who wants to be a millionaire. They weren't huge drops...and then they were. It managed to stay above the million mark for quite some time, a good few months.
    But gradually, they declined quite a bit. I remember Keeping an eye on the ratings in the RTE Guide, at the time (Nerd, I know) and for a long time it stayed above the one million mark. Even Gaybo bragged about how it was the only show getting a million viewers on TV, and saying critics should take note.
    But after a few months, the show went below the one million mark, and it never went above it again.
    The drop was gradual at first, maybe 10 or 20 thousand, per week (from 1.2 million at the beginning) but those that stopped watching never returned.
    I also remember that whoever was in charge of the questions started to get lazy (fact checking went out the door). One question involved where would you find the lunula' in the body (it's the finger nail, the little crescent moon shape on the nails) but the contestant had a strong accent, coupled with a bad phone line, and so for the 'phone a friend' bit, the person listening gave him the wrong answer. He thought it was 'lunar' and told him to pick one of the other choices, the heart (semi-lunar valves). Contestant got it wrong, an went home.
    But the mess up hit the news, and the contestant was brought back because of the screw up. Well, that wasn't the only mess up. Second show with same contestant, they messed up another question with a wrong answer (contestant got it right, they said it was wrong)...and again had to invite the contestant to return...but this time he said no.
    That was kind of a turning point, and the ratings drop began to get much steadier. RTE tried the changes I mentioned before, and also did the age old 'celebrity' version...but this being Ireland, you know celebrities, real celebs, are in short supply. So they could not keep that going for long.

Very detailed account - I'd only ever picked up on the excessively high storage costs for the set of the show which RTÉ was unwilling to shoulder - I never realised there were all these cock-ups and sponsorship problems with the Irish version. Gay Byrne must have been gutted about it behind the scenes at the time as it was probably a nice gig for him to handle :)

• Advertisement

Apparently chose to leave. Who can blame him though...Kathryn Thomas could shout the ear off of a deaf man.
    We hear you woman! Stop Shouting!!!
    I also remember him being really nervous onscreen, hands visibly shaking. And don't get me started on the 'video introductions'...where contestants were 'acting whacky' for their interview bit...followed by them being interviewed. So that made the whole thing redundant, but it was very quickly scrapped. The 'whacky' video I mean.

Yeah, he chose to do the All Ireland Talent Show Behind the Scenes bit (the show was so mercilessly lampooned on the Savage Eye as the Emerald Isle Talent Show. And Asiling Bea absolutely nailed her impersonation of Grainne Seoige...a presenter obsessed with herself).
    Then he did 'The Hit', and he's been a bit quite lately.

His Wikipedia page entry is hilarious though.

"In 2010, he started presenting SuperCrew on TRTE,[6] and he began working on Celebrity Bainisteoir.[7] He also presented the 98fm Morning Crew show with Clare Solan until the end of September 2012. A man called Ray Foley came along and replaced him on his radio show on 98FM. Power admitted he wasn't too bothered by this development.[8]
    Power presented Superbloopers with Zig and Zag on RTÉ over the 2011 Christmas season, and again during 2012.
    On 13 April 2013 Aidan staked his claim to be the next Bill O'Herlihy when he presented Sligo Rovers versus Cork City in a high profile league of Ireland game on RTE2. Despite this being his first time to ever see a League of Ireland match he effortlessly read his script while discussing the talking points of the game.
    Power co-hosted the first series of the Irish songwriting competition, The Hit with Nicky Byrne.
    Notable incident[edit]
    Power was surprised on 23 October 2008 when wrestling superstars Joe Legend and Scotty Too Hotty came in to talk about the wrestling events around Ireland but in a strange turn of events ended up taking on Power and trashing the Cafe. Power later admitted this was the highlight of his broadcasting career."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_Power

Props to the person who typed that out, because the Bill O'Herlihy bit is hilarious.

lol - I'd like to think that I have a good prospect of becoming a Billionaire in the near future too... But the reality is a whole lot different unfortunately I reckon...;)

Very detailed account - I'd only ever picked up on the excessively high storage costs for the set of the show which RTÉ was unwilling to shoulder - I never realised there were all these cock-ups and sponsorship problems with the Irish version. Gay Byrne must have been gutted about it behind the scenes at the time as it was probably a nice gig for him to handle :)

Ah...any time Gay Byrne loses money, RTE give him a show. Just look at the reasons he got One Night Only - he lost money on the property racket. Same reason Mike Murphy got a show, he also lost money. On property.

I remember they gave that gig to Gay after he 'retired' from the television/ The Late Late Show...(He never clarified this, so alot of people thought he was retiring from television completely. Especially once he ended his radio show. That said, watching his old interviews on youtube, especially with the likes of Tom McGinnty aka The Diceman.
    Or his expose on Scientology...makes you realize how good the guy could be. He gets a slagging nowadays, but he had this one gift that many presenters lack nowadays - he was human. Many the time he treated people like close friends rather than someone he had to interview. And yes, he made mistakes, but it wasn't like now where we get the 'teething problems' excuse. He owns those screw-ups.)
    So Who wants to be a Millionaire was definitely something RTE were trying to hold onto-putting their most powerful presenter at the helm was a sure sign of that.
    I think no Irish people winning the million probably got to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

He had great luck with the horses. ;)
    Or maybe Louis is giving Bertie 10 % !

Sounds like the episode of Only Fools and Horses when Del Boy goes on Gold Rush. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you think it's really bad... think about what an Irish version might be like. :o:o:D;)

It would probably be better. I would like to think that there would be no constant nattering from contestants incessantly wishing each other well. Are they not supposed to be competing with each other?

Did anyone see the Irish version of Family Fortunes?

Taken the price of travel, and taking the day off of work into account, you lost money going up there.
    And the worst of all was that you had to put up with Alan Hughes...a presenter so lacking in charisma and presenting quality, he's two steps away from being a corpse...he's that lifeless.
    So if Tipping Point were to come to Ireland, TV3 would probably host it, and it would be terrible.
    I'd be interested to see how UTV would deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm just wondering do TV stations/production companies pay (or even contribute towards) for people's accommodation or travel expenses?

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering do TV stations/production companies pay (or even contribute towards) for people's accommodation or travel expenses?

Good question, actually.

I've read quite a few accounts of UK game shows and quizzes by former contestants - and from these, it appears that some of the stations/production companies involved do pay for accommodation and travel, and others do not.

Don't know how the Irish stations and production companies go about this, though.

• Advertisement

Advertisement