Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Stick it to em Buer .

Appalling behaviour. They've learned nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

durkadurka wrote: »
    Stick it to em Buer .

Appalling behaviour. They've learned nothing

Sure they have. They've learned they can get away with whatever they want and we'll bail them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was just thinking that myself watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Interesting he says they when referring to Bath instead of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wang King wrote: »
    **** of Ireland I'd say :)

I can neither confirm nor deny that allusion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Shiiiiiiiiite

Investigators into the German plane crash the other day are now looking into the background of the co-pilot as they think he crashed it on purpose after locking the Captain out of the cabin!

Terrifying really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This, MH370, EgyptAir 990 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990), Mozambican Airlines flight TM470 (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-25482083). This appears to be happening a lot.

Time to ensure there's always at least two pilots in the cockpit

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Honestly as weird as it sounds it's the first thing I thought when I saw the flight course and how long it took to crash. A decom wouldn't allow the flight to go down in such a uniform manner, and any deaths of pilots wouldn't cause it either as the autopilot would have it going for a lot longer before anything like that happened. I thought either someone broke in and threw it into a nose dive or a pilot did it. So sad that it turned out to be true, something about it makes you feel ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Synode wrote: »
    This, MH370, EgyptAir 990 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990), Mozambican Airlines flight TM470 (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-25482083). This appears to be happening a lot.

Time to ensure there's always at least two pilots in the cockpit

It wouldn't actually prevent it if the other person really wanted to do it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

.ak wrote: »

Well it depends. There could certainly be a struggle and that could end up either way. You can't nosedive a plane, there is a reason it took so long to crash (if that's what indeed happened).

Fairly terrifying though.

.ak wrote: »

True, but it makes it more difficult. It's far too easy for a suicidal pilot at the moment with them being able to lock the door from the inside

Imagining the idea of seeing your flight's captain banging on the door of the cabin trying to get in, while probably growing more and more agitated and irate for an entire 8 minutes is difficult.

Imagining the idea of seeing your flight's captain banging on the door of the cabin trying to get in, while probably growing more and more agitated and irate for an entire 8 minutes is difficult.

I really don't want to try.

Unfortunately the entire point of cockpit doors these days is to stop people getting in :/

Am I crazy to be slightly relieved by this? It was down to a human rather than mechanical error.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Am I crazy to be slightly relieved by this? It was down to a human rather than mechanical error.

Not sure why that's any better. If the pilot decides you're going down that's it really. At least if there's a mechanical error the pilot can still do his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really don't want to try.

Unfortunately the entire point of cockpit doors these days is to stop people getting in :/

Then it needs to be revisited to ensure there is a fail-safe in this eventuality. I don't know what, but there needs to be something.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Not sure why that's any better. If the pilot decides you're going down that's it really. At least if there's a mechanical error the pilot can still do his best.

My first reaction was that its scary that faulty planes are out there that can suddenly lose cabin pressure. Now I know that's not the case (well in this case). I am ever so slightly relieved by that. Anyway I don't think its worth getting in a discussion over which is worse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As far as I'm concerned it is a flaw in the aircraft. I can't believe the door was lockable in such a way that none of the flight crew could get in. This pilot being suicidal is tragic, absolutely tragic, but it is predictable that some pilots will be.

All too often we here of murder suicides where husbands (and it is usually men) kill their wives and children before killing themselves. This is kind of similar. I am not angry at him, I won't be unless political motives are unveiled, I am just really really sad.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I can't believe the door was lockable in such a way that none of the flight crew could get in.

Well sure it's supposed to be a fail-safe to stop a lunatic crew member I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As far as I'm concerned it is a flaw in the aircraft. I can't believe the door was lockable in such a way that none of the flight crew could get in.

9/11 security protocols

You'd have to wonder how someone in that state of mind can be in a cockpit in the first place. It's hard to imagine a human being who is outwardly functioning normally being able to murder 149 people.

I am not angry at him, I won't be unless political motives are unveiled, I am just really really sad.

You're not angry with a man who murdered 150 people? As well as leaving his own family with an absolute shít storm

What if the other pilot hadn't needed a piss?

As usual with aircraft accidents, a lot of circumstances have to happen in an absolutely particular way for a problem to occur :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As usual with aircraft accidents, a lot of circumstances have to happen in an absolutely particular way for a problem to occur :(

If he hadn't then he probably would on the next flight or the flight after that, if the co-pilot was intent on doing this, then it would have happened sooner or later. Hard to fathom the mindset of someone who could do this though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not an accident. This was mass murder. :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just bought myself a new 50" Smart 3D TV. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    Just bought myself a new 50" Smart 3D TV. :D

What did you go for, and how much? Will be in the market for one soon... bloody thing will probably be smarter than me though! :o

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zzippy wrote: »
    What did you go for, and how much? Will be in the market for one soon... bloody thing will probably be smarter than me though! :o

Got this:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200553-viera-tx50as650b.aspx

The 1200Hz refresh is good for xbox. I'm sure there are cheaper 50 inch models out there but this series had really good reviews.

• Advertisement

Are 3D TVs not kind of stupid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement