Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

catallus wrote: »
    What I want to know is where the hell all this global warming they promised is!?

I had to clean snow off my car this morning! SNOW!!!!!

Also, I like the wind.

This whole global warming thinge mean more extreme weather, so be lucky your car isnt buried under 4 meters of snow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

This whole global warming thinge mean more extreme weather...:P

Yeahyeahyeah, I've heard that before, first it was we were going to be sweltering in a 50 degree furnace and then they changed their story when the weather isn't doing what they guessed!

Charlatans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

This whole global warming thinge mean more extreme weather, so be lucky your car isnt buried under 4 meters of snow :P

Extreme weather my arse.

How come we don't get a nice, hot extreme summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Extreme weather my arse.

We are not allowed nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Extreme weather my arse.

For Ireland, global warming means warmer seas, more cloud and heavier rain. After the July 2013 heatwave, we had a record sea temperature of 20*C.

Hurricanes form from a cluster of thunderstorms over seas of 27*C. If our sea temperature rises to near that temperature, we will get tropical storms that will make tonight's storm look like a pleasant stroll in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anyone seen this wind they were forecasting? Nothing but normal wintry weather here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Anyone seen this wind they were forecasting? Nothing but normal wintry weather here.

Wind's coming and going in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

vicwatson wrote: »
    At my second attempt at docking the Oscar Wilde on runway 28. Not looking good.
    Good luck with that. All flights are temporarily suspended due to extreme winds with the last few hours.
    Actually hang on a minute! You're landing a plane and texting at the same time. Glad I'm not a passenger on your flight.
    Probably end up in Shannon airport with the wind.

Actually I think flights were suspended earlier?
    I'm just trying to land a plane at Dublin Airport

Looks like I picked a hell of a week to give up drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hundreds of schools are closed apparently.
    Used to be what we called a stormy day and everyone ignored it,now its code red apocalyptic end of the world melodrama.

kneemos wrote: »
    Used to be what we called a stormy day and everyone ignored it,now its code red apocalyptic end of the world melodrama.

Imagine we lived in a country that got real extreme weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

kneemos wrote: »

We just were told to be careful going to the outside jacks in case we got our heads opened with slates coming off the roof. :eek:

By international standards, all we have here is a stiff breeze.

Extreme weather my arse.

Because we complain that it's too hot when it's only 19 degrees.

It's all our fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

e-mobile bb gone really slow in mid west.. storm??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

We just were told to be careful going to the outside jacks in case we got our heads opened with slates coming off the roof. :eek:

I remember, as a small child, walking home from school in stormy weather looking at slates half buried in grass that had been flung off the local church roof.

It's health and safety gone mad these days the way they make kids sit inside the car and all that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think we get it pretty extreme here.
    I remember a couple of years back hurricane sandy caused death and destruction all along its bath.The highest recorded wind speed there was 115 mph. We have been known to get very close to that. They lost houses, infrastructure etc. We would simply call it a windy day.

There is a serious lesson to be learned here too. Now that the Met have their fancy new system and all the news sites are only too desperate to fill bandwidth, being too trigger happy with their warnings will do more harm than good, ie nobody will listen to them

There is a serious lesson to be learned here too. Not that the Met have their fancy new system and all the need sites are only to desperate to fill bandwidth, being too trigger happy with their warnings will do more harm than good, ie nobody will listen to them

To be fair, a wind that might floor you in one part of the country may only knock over a plastic garden chair somewhere else. They're only covering themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There is a serious lesson to be learned here too. Now that the Met have their fancy new system and all the news sites are only too desperate to fill bandwidth, being too trigger happy with their warnings will do more harm than good, ie nobody will listen to them

this will eventually be the typical Irish experience

the current approach is based on the public uproar and media driven acceptance based on silly positions

"ME never told me it was foggy" "AA roadwatch never told me to put on my lights" etc etc

Now to be followed by "ah sure they are always warning us about something" so I just went out and ignored the info.

It amazes me how people seem to have completely lost the ability to research the weather and take appropriate action. People out in lashing rain with an inappropriate coat, no umbrella or hat etc

it was cold yesterday so I'll wrap up today regardless of it being much milder and vice versa.

There are plenty of apps etc so I really don't get it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Why do they all have names. Its Storm Rachel now. Last year it was Storm Darwin.

Let's hope they never call it Storm Garth. We're in for it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Why do they all have names. Its Storm Rachel now. Last year it was Storm Darwin.

I'd say we'll be all right. Garth won't come until he gets to blow for five consecutive nights.

• Advertisement

They could call them Storm a, b, c, but they'd run out letters or Storm 1, 2, 3.. etc but it would get very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I would like listening to the wind..........if the ESB had the ability to maintain service when it blows. After nearly 24 hours without electricity I am pretty much over the ESB and the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,284 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Red alert me @rse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

mickdw wrote: »
    I think we get it pretty extreme here.
    I remember a couple of years back hurricane sandy caused death and destruction all along its bath.The highest recorded wind speed there was 115 mph. We have been known to get very close to that. They lost houses, infrastructure etc. We would simply call it a windy day.

Sustained or gust?

Advertisement