Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

What have you got in front of you? Can you send me some useful links?
    I don't get your point, are you trying to say all the showers on the island of Ireland today are going to be of rain or hail?

I think we can all see that showers of snow have already fallen in places.

Anyway, nothing too interesting with just the chance of a dusting in places early in the night, so won't really affect anybody.

As I posted this morning, I am talking about sea level. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93773461&postcount=62

And as of 1 pm the only stations or airports on the island of Ireland to report anything other than rain have been Knock (200 m) and Glennane (161 m).

The airmass is as cold as it is going to get. No more cold advection will take place, so we're still just relying on the heaviest showers to drag down snow to sea level.

Some at higher levels will of course see snow. No argument there, but 90% of the population live below 200 m.

EDIT: The 1200Z Castor Bay sounding shows a 500 m warm layer at the surface. Too thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I find it very strange to think it was raining at 400 metres ASL? Was it just a very light shower, drizzle etc?

legomaniac never usually engages in discussing his comments. he come in with his soliloquy and wanders off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

FWVT wrote: »
    As I posted this morning, I am talking about sea level. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93773461&postcount=62

And as of 1 pm the only stations or airports on the island of Ireland to report anything other than rain have been Knock (200 m) and Glennane (161 m).

The airmass is as cold as it is going to get. No more cold advection will take place, so we're still just relying on the heaviest showers to drag down snow to sea level.

Some at higher levels will of course see snow. No argument there, but 90% of the population live below 200 m.

I already said I saw snow today and I'm 40m asl

Slightly contradictory when you say sea level won't see snow then go on to say the heaviest showers may bring snow down to sea level

I already said I saw snow today and I'm 40m asl

Slightly contradictory when you say sea level won't see snow then go on to say the heaviest showers may bring snow down to sea level

Read again what I said. I said sea level in Ulster, but even that is not materialising as of yet, though Lough Fea (225 m) has now just joined the snow party at 1 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

Here in sout derry we have had about 5 or 6 snow showers. Everything is falling as snow. It's not the snow thats the problem more the lack of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Every shower we have got since this morning is off snow,nice to see anyway,hopefully everyone will see some snow next week at some stage

legomaniac never usually engages in discussing his comments. he come in with his soliloquy and wanders off again.

Dewpoint is +2 at Sligo Airport (yes, right on the coast, but it was 0 °C earlier).

METAR EISG 101300Z 24016KT 5000 FEW010 SCT021 BKN031 04/02 Q1014=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snowing again in Galway city - not sticking obviously but nice to see all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lumi wrote: »
    Snowing again in Galway city

nah, you're seeing things, that's rain..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Trogdor wrote: »
    Or Galway, Mayo, Cavan or Armagh where people have also reported snow in this thread this morning.

not all on high ground either, but su campu has covered that base by saying snow could occur at lower levels in the heaviest of showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

Every shower from 8am unitl even 20mins ago in Maghera has been snowing no sign of sleet. 74m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Latest radar and DPs

334372.jpg

Normal Temps still being the problem with average around 4C . No snow settling below 300m with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

not all on high ground either, but su campu has covered that base by saying snow could occur at lower levels in the heaviest of showers

My comment was in reference to Met Eireann's forecast, which I thought was a bit suprising with no mention of snow at all. Even if it will only be present in heavier showers I think it's still worth mentioning.

Trogdor wrote: »
    My comment was in reference to Met Eireann's forecast, which I thought was a bit suprising with no mention of snow at all. Even if it will only be present in heavier showers I think it's still worth mentioning.

Maybe with all the extra tools and expertise at their disposal they too just don't think that it will happen?

Their forecast for Ulster:
    Ulster
    10 January 2015- updated at 13:00
    Today

Cold and windy with some good bright spells but scattered showers too -some with sleet and snow especially on higher ground. Temperatures will range 4 to 7 degrees, in a strong to gale force and gusty westerly wind.

Tonight

Cold and windy tonight with clear spells and scattered wintry showers. Frost will form in sheltered places and lowest temperatures of 0 to 2 degrees in a fresh to strong and gusty westerly wind.

Check out the webcams around the Cairngorms National Park...
    https://trafficscotland.org/map/index.aspx?type=26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Maybe with all the extra tools and expertise at their disposal they too just don't think that it will happen?

But there has already been snow today and away from higher ground as well, just thought the forecast was a tad conservative.
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Wet snow showers here in Donegal Town at 30asl and quarter mile from coast.
    RuthieRose wrote: »
    SNOWING!!!! Cavan town
    Almost blind blizzard here just south of Newry an hour ago. Blue sky again now
    South armagh blizzard snow but not lying
    Quick heavy snow shower just over in Donegal. Really big gusts accompanying the shower and visibility reduced
    eastmayo wrote: »
    Snowing heavy but ain't sticking
    Wet snow in Galway, just annoying really.
    Lumi wrote: »
    Snowing again in Galway city - not sticking obviously but nice to see all the same

Their forecast for Ulster:

but it has already happened. there has been snow at lower levels outside of Ulster.

however they do mention snow in their outlook:
    "the outlook is for cold and often breezy weather; passing wintry showers of sleet and snow, mainly across Atlantic counties. Wet and windy countrywide on Wednesday, with rain possibly turning to snow for a time. Frosty icy conditions, especially later in the week. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The very mention of the word snow gets people into a panic so with nothing more than a few 5 minute sleety snow showers forecast they obviously didn't think it was worth mentioning. Nothing to lose sleep over

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fitefuaite

Sleety shower in laois!

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Check out the webcams around the Cairngorms National Park...
    https://trafficscotland.org/map/index.aspx?type=26

good link. i'm tempted to go up there some weekend for my snow fix. as we won't see snow in London anytime soon.

• Advertisement

but it has already happened. there has been snow at lower levels outside of Ulster.

however they do mention snow in their outlook:
    "the outlook is for cold and often breezy weather; passing wintry showers of sleet and snow, mainly across Atlantic counties. Wet and windy countrywide on Wednesday, with rain possibly turning to snow for a time. Frosty icy conditions, especially later in the week. "

Well apart from Knock, Glennane and Lough Fea - all above 150 m - no official stations or any of the regional airports have reported snow, including the 2 pm reports now in.

Belfast City Airport light rain shower, despite a dewpoint of zero. It's just the wrong side of marginal.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭snowinwinter

Ok I don't normally post here but I do read and I thought i'd reply.

Ok um Iancar I don't really agree with you, you are quite wrong with the current sitation. I live in North-West Northern Ireland and it has been snowing on and off all morning.

Currently its 3c with a dew point of -2c. The last shower was 10 minutes ago and it was graupel/dry snow. The shower dropped temp to under 2c and it started to stick..

Well apart from Knock, Glennane and Lough Fea - all above 150 m - no official stations or any of the regional airports have reported snow, including the 2 pm reports now in.

Belfast City light rain shower, despite a dewpoint of zero. It's just the wrong side of marginal.

Um I live at an elevation of approximately 50m and it has been snowing all day! You are definitely wrong!

Here in sout derry we have had about 5 or 6 snow showers. Everything is falling as snow. It's not the snow thats the problem more the lack of it.

Exactly the same here, just snowed 10 minutes ago. Another shower is due soon looking to my west. :)

I agree with you though, its been sunny most of the day and quite windy too so the showers don't last long.

Um I live at an elevation of approximately 50m and it has been snowing all day! You are definitely wrong!

Again, for the 3rd time, read what I wrote about low levels in Ulster earlier. Congratulations that you live exactly where you live, I am sure you will see a lot more too. However, on the whole, it will be difficult for the vast majority of areas at sea level to see snow. Sleet yes, but not snow.

Again, for the 3rd time, read what I wrote about low levels in Ulster earlier. Congratulations that you live exactly where you live, I am sure you will see a lot more too. However, on the whole, it will be difficult for the vast majority of areas at sea level to see snow. Sleet yes, but not snow.
    Well I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Iancar who said it was very low chance of snow when its actually been snowing pretty heavily today.

The dew points are below freezing inland, its right at the coast where it is raining.

My iPhone charger is broken but if it was working I would take a video and show you the snow, its actually really quite dry. Oh and by the way the snow line is 200m.

Ok I don't normally post here but I do read and I thought i'd reply.

Ok um Iancar I don't really agree with you, you are quite wrong with the current sitation. I live in North-West Northern Ireland and it has been snowing on and off all morning.

Currently its 3c with a dew point of -2c. The last shower was 10 minutes ago and it was graupel/dry snow. The shower dropped temp to under 2c and it started to stick..

Yes , your temps are lower therefore chances are better for you but the cold air is moving away now for the next 24hrs again so chances decreasing for low levels. Im glad i didnt head on up from Dublin to there today! Maybe Monday night though if things still look goood :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

A very unfair comment. I am in and out of the house and am not stuck in front of a screen all day. The shower was moderate, lasted 10 minutes and was of rain. That's the way it was. Or would you prefer of I lied and said it was a raging blizzard just to stop you feeling disappointed? I have a good mind to report you to the mods for bullying....

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yes , your temps are lower therefore chances are better for you but the cold air is moving away now for the next 24hrs again so chances decreasing for low levels. Im glad i didnt head on up from Dublin to there today! Maybe Monday night though if things still look goood :cool:

Um actually the bbc newsline forecast showed the showers lasting as snow to about 5am so I don't think the chances will decrease yet. There is indeed lying snow at 200m and above but you are right you'd see nothing because theres only a dusting, the showers aren't as frequent and the wind is too fast!

I'm not sure what weather is down there but its quite cold up here. IDC, whatever i'm down for 1c on Tuesday with heavy snow all day.

• Advertisement

Well I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Iancar who said it was very low chance of snow when its actually been snowing pretty heavily today.

The dew points are below freezing inland, its right at the coast where it is raining.

My iPhone charger is broken but if it was working I would take a video and show you the snow, its actually really quite dry. Oh and by the way the snow line is 200m.

I was replying to your post to me in which you said:

And I'm just going by what I see in official reports up to 2 pm. Only stations above 150 m have snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement