Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And it begins... (bigot brigade anti-SSM leaflets) - ### Mod Warning in 1st Post ###

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Daith wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. It's not defined in our Constitution.

but they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Beano wrote: »
    but they already have.

It's not in our constitution. Jeez. The Judges interpreted the document. Two different things.

No judge in Ireland would say marriage is defined in our constitution. You already said you were incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ok then i was incorrect to say "define". but the interpretation of the supreme court is that the constitution should be read in the context of marriage being between a man and a woman. after all, at the time it was framed no other possibilities were imaginable.

Can't think of the various cases off the top of my head but both here and in the UK (our laws are based on UK law), there were legal challenges mounted previously to clarify the wording of the constitution, and it was judged in those cases that the family was regarded as the relationship between a man and a woman, and that marriage was the institution which gave the family protection of society.

Don't quote me on it but I think these cases were before homosexuality was decriminalised. They were definitely before civil partnerships and cohabitation legislation was introduced (2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

but the constitution also defines marriage as between a man and a woman. so the constitution needs to be changed.

It doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

floggg wrote: »
    It doesn't.

yeah, that has already been established. do try to keep up.

• Advertisement

I'm in no way a legal expert but I do wonder what would happen if a same sex family were to take a case that weren't protected by marriage.

I guess it would amount to the same thing. Judges decide a marriage is a man, woman and children and the government need to legislate or change it.

No legal expert myself, but this is why I have an issue with the Government suggesting that the Children and Families bill will address those issues.

floggg addressed this before but I still think that it would have been better to have this referendum out of the way first, and then draft legislation based on the outcome of that. floggg suggested that all will need to be done if the referendum passes is to change the wording of the legislation from "civil partnerships" to "marriage".

Something still tells me it's never going to be that simple and straightforward.

No legal expert myself, but this is why I have an issue with the Government suggesting that the Children and Families bill will address those issues.

floggg addressed this before but I still think that it would have been better to have this referendum out of the way first, and then draft legislation based on the outcome of that. floggg suggested that all will need to be done if the referendum passes is to change the wording of the legislation from "civil partnerships" to "marriage".

Something still tells me it's never going to be that simple and straightforward.

Nope.

I said there is no need for a referendum, and all that was required was a legislative change.

But I did say all pre-existing legislation could be easily amended - either by the global change suggested or amending each piece individually (likely by making reference to applicable legislation in a schedule to the act.

The global change would be easiest.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Irish version of the constitution takes precedence, and the word "teaghlach" is used, which means household or family in general. Nowhere is it explicitly defined in the constitution that marriage is between one man and one woman. The Zappone judgement came down to whether the constitution should be "read as intended" or "read as written".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like the rantings or some Nordi or American happy clappers here. the more the better , should push the yes vote even higher

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If that was the case then unmarried fathers in Ireland would have legal rights in respect of their child as they could just point to the constitution and say its discriminatory.

In Germany they are still tackling the topic of adoption, but equal taxation has been applied in that if one is working and the other not the person working can go into Tax Class 3, the same as a Male/Female couple.

Single fathers is a tricky example. As I recall, the constitutional references to marriage (undefined) and role of the mother cause issues.

However, if marriage equality is introduced, same sex marriages will be protected equally.

Equal tax is already provided for through CPs so shouldn't cause an issue.

I really can't see any possible issues. Fathers rights is the last real differential treatment between the sexes under irish law that I am aware of. So unless there is some weird quirk whereby lesbian parents are treated better than gay male parents - and that would only apply where one of the parents was a biological parent - I can't see an issue.

• Advertisement

Single fathers is a tricky example. As I recall, the constitutional references to marriage (undefined) and role of the mother cause issues.

However, if marriage equality is introduced, same sex marriages will be protected equally.

I really can't see any possible issues. Fathers rights is the last real differential treatment between the sexes under irish law that I am aware of. So unless there is some weird quirk whereby lesbian parents are treated better than gay male parents - and that would only apply where one of the parents was a biological parent - I can't see an issue.

As I understand it so far, the Children and Families bill is supposed to be addressing those guardianship issues (as well as IVF and surrogacy issues), but I haven't seen anything approaching a final draft yet. I've never viewed the issues surrounding guardianship as simply a father's rights issue, because in all cases, the family courts are basing their judgment on what's in the best interests of the children, and not simply what the parents feel are their rights, so my focus has always been primarily on the child's rights, and the welfare of the children, regardless of their parent's issues.

I can see plenty of issues arising from the new Children and Families bill for a lot of these advocacy groups in that previously they weren't advocating for the rights of homosexual fathers, and now, the new legislation may cause them to confront their own prejudices.

It's an issue I see with a lot of these advocacy groups that have a specific profile that they often don't take account of the fact that people are far more complex than just one single aspect of themselves, and if someone doesn't fit their exact profile, they don't want to know, which can cause many people to go ignored or be swept to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That's why I said an amendment to the constitution was a better idea than adding it to legislation.

I'd still prefer to see it enshrined as a right and clearly stipulated in the constitution rather than see some poor sod fall into a legal grey area they never though of and spend years trying to fight the situation in court.

That's why I said an amendment to the constitution was a better idea than adding it to legislation.

I'd still prefer to see it enshrined as a right and clearly stipulated in the constitution rather than see some poor sod fall into a legal grey area they never though of and spend years trying to fight the situation in court.

But I don't believe any constitutional amendment dealing with marriage equality would necessarily cure any constitutonal issues re single fathers so any issue in that regard may likely remain.

Fathers rights is certainly something that needs to be addresses, though a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Peist2007 wrote: »
    What do you mean context? If someone says they have been insulted it should be very simple to point out where the insult lies. You said posters on this thread insulted you yet you are the only one throwing out insults. Why are you doing so?

You are doing it again!! This time it's 'you said posters on this thread insulted you'........
    No I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

hoodwinked wrote: »
    to be honest they are the people who changed my attitude towards religion to the point i agreed to have our daughter baptized (as my husband desperately wanted to) purely because of their attitudes and it's the kind of attitude i'd love for them to pass onto her, but while priest's like him aren't the norm they are the prevailing attitudes coming forward in younger priests in the church, while like other professions the older outdated views are dying out. the sooner the better imo.

A) Would it not have been better to let your daughter choose whether she wanted to be part of a religion instead of imposing your choice on her before she could object? And remember there is no way to officially leave the rcc.

B) The church is getting more backwards and conservative, not less. They know they've lost Europe and North America (and huge swaths of Latin America too) so now they are tailoring their message to the backwards homophobes in Africa which is the last great bastion of rcc growth. Don't believe the soft soaping of Bergoglio, the true message of the rcc is "Stone all gheys!" and it will continue to be so until the rotten, evil and corrupt empire dies its final death.

Someone with secret studies that go against the common conclusion of people who know what they are doing. Care to share?

I'm guessing one Mark Regnerus was involved in said "studies".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

DUBLIN PRIEST, MARTIN DOLAN, BRAVELY TOLD HIS CONGREGATION THAT HE WAS GAY AFTER SHOWING SUPPORT FOR SAME-SEX MARRIAGE, AND WAS MET WITH A STANDING OVATION FROM PARISHIONERS.

Last weekend, Father Martin Dolan of the Church of St Nicholas of Myra in Dublin’s city centre, urged his congregation to vote Yes in this year’s same-sex marriage referendum, revealing in his sermon, “I’m gay myself.”

Proud parishioners stood and applauded the priest for his controversial revelation. Liz O’Connor, a community youth worker, told the Irish Sun, “We are all very proud of Martin. Because he has admitted that he is gay doesn’t change the person that he was before he said it.”

While most parishioners commended Father Dolan, some called for his removal from the church.

“I wouldn’t like to see him being moved for the statement he made. That would be horrendous,” O’Connor contested.

“He should be supported. He has done nothing wrong. If he’s moved, there would be uproar in this parish. He’s still the same man today. Martin has always been an advocate of people’s rights, and even spoke about the child abuse in the Church.

“There’s not many [priests] that would come out because they’re afraid of the bishops and that, but Martin is his own man. That’s what he believes in.”

A source in the Catholic Church reportedly told The Irish Sun, “It was very brave. He said he was gay. That was it…no bones about it. There’s a lot of gay priests but nobody will actually get up and say it.”

The Dublin Archdiocese refuse to comment until speaking with Father Dolan.

from a friends mother

My mother was there last Saturday.its our local church.she said the reaction was overwhelming positive from everyone there on Saturday.told everyone he would be in a relationship with a man if he wasn't a priest.young and old stood to there feet and applauded
    ed his honesty.over the years he has been a very open priest about all things wrong with the church.he speaks his mind on all subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

david75 wrote: »
    DUBLIN PRIEST, MARTIN DOLAN, BRAVELY TOLD HIS CONGREGATION THAT HE WAS GAY AFTER SHOWING SUPPORT FOR SAME-SEX MARRIAGE, AND WAS MET WITH A STANDING OVATION FROM PARISHIONERS.

Last weekend, Father Martin Dolan of the Church of St Nicholas of Myra in Dublin’s city centre, urged his congregation to vote Yes in this year’s same-sex marriage referendum, revealing in his sermon, “I’m gay myself.”

Proud parishioners stood and applauded the priest for his controversial revelation. Liz O’Connor, a community youth worker, told the Irish Sun, “We are all very proud of Martin. Because he has admitted that he is gay doesn’t change the person that he was before he said it.”

While most parishioners commended Father Dolan, some called for his removal from the church.

“I wouldn’t like to see him being moved for the statement he made. That would be horrendous,” O’Connor contested.

“He should be supported. He has done nothing wrong. If he’s moved, there would be uproar in this parish. He’s still the same man today. Martin has always been an advocate of people’s rights, and even spoke about the child abuse in the Church.

“There’s not many [priests] that would come out because they’re afraid of the bishops and that, but Martin is his own man. That’s what he believes in.”

A source in the Catholic Church reportedly told The Irish Sun, “It was very brave. He said he was gay. That was it…no bones about it. There’s a lot of gay priests but nobody will actually get up and say it.”

I can't find a reference to this in an Irish news publication :confused:
    Found foreign/UK references

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Smart Bug wrote: »
    I can't find a reference to this in an Irish news publication :confused:
    Found foreign/UK references

Really odd

http://www.independent.ie/news/what-it-says-in-the-papers-30888642.html

It just says the priest called for marriage equality but no mention of coming out.

• Advertisement

thats because no irish media outlet covered it apart from outmost.com(.ie)

Really odd

http://www.independent.ie/news/what-it-says-in-the-papers-30888642.html

It just says the priest called for marriage equality but no mention of coming out.

he came out. As gay...here from the only Irish nws source that covered it
    http://theoutmost.com/news/dublin-priest-comes-mass-gets-standing-ovation/

DUBLIN PRIEST COMES OUT DURING MASS, GETS STANDING OVATION
    Father_Martin_Dolan
    Father Martin Dolan

Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 13.11.57
    St Nicholas of Myra Parish, Francis Street

the parish hes in all know hes gay and have no problem with it.

bit weird it wasnt covered in media.

or maybe the balance issue set Ionas lawyers on fire

Yeah, it's almost as if you put forward narrow minded, bigoted, views, they'll get called narrow minded and bigoted. Shocking.

The mentally ill comment was a step too far IMO, but the other accusations you're just going to have to suck up since they describe your posts very well.

What's worse about the "mentally ill" comment is that it was made by one of his anti-gay fellow travellers, mrs. byrne, but you get blamed for it.

For the record I don't think 1123 heavy is mentally ill, he's just lacking in compassion for those different from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have to wonder why mods & co are so insistent that there be no church bashing in these threads, when it's blatantly obvious that the vast majority of homophobic sentiment originates with religious doctrines that claim to dictate what is and isn't ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This referendum better pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I'm a bit divided on whether it's news or not.

Man tells his fellow parishioners that he is attracted to other men. OK. So what? Lets leave them alone and respect the priest's privacy, and his right to have a frank conversation with his congregation without a national media circus.

On the other hand, reporting the story might promote wider tolerance or a critical re-examination of catholic social teaching with regard to homosexuality, within the Catholic Church in Ireland.

Perhaps newspaper editors face this conundrum too. How far of you go without intruding upon this man's privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the parish hes in all know hes gay and have no problem with it.

or maybe the balance issue set Ionas lawyers on fire

I saw it on front page of a tabloid a few days ago

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Conor,

he came out during a mass..he decided there and then to abandon his own privacy. Just because you havent read about it dosnt mean its a tell all scandal tabloid piece. He knew what he was doing and fair play to him for doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Conor,

he came out during a mass..he decided there and then to abandon his own privacy.
    He spoke to his parishioners in a big room. It's not possible to say what he intended.

I remember being at mass once when the Parish Priest revealed a struggle with his faith, and that he intended to take a sabbatical. A local newspaper would have been entirely justified in splashing the man's deeply-personal feelings all over the next week's edition, but doing so would have been ethically misguided.

People make their personal feelings known in public spheres all the time, from internet bulletin boards to AA-meetings, to church ceremonies. We should be considerate before giving those feelings an audience beyond that which was intended.

If the priest did intend to reach a wider audience, then I'm sure he will agree to interviews and there will be no problem. If he doesn't want to speak further, then I hope people will respect his feelings. Maybe he has refused, and maybe that's why the media are giving him space. Pure speculation on my behalf, though.

Advertisement