Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Convicted serial rapist to be voluntarily euthanised in Belgium'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Would you still see it in the same light if somebody close to you was raped or killed?

I think not somehow.
    you don't know what he thinks or will think

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yeah screw the victims and their families.

Lets put this monster out of his misery to save money and put HIM out of his tortured existance!

Meanwhile other people have to just live with it?

FFS.
    sensationalist rabel rabel nonsense. you should work for the indo or the vermin daily fail

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

https://www.facebook.com/skynews/posts/1005475066133757

I guess im not alone thinking this is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Post from that page:
    For him to die that's the easy way out.
    He needs to be castrated without anaesthetic and left to bleed out while each limb is removed one by one.

What the hell is wrong with society!?

You quote one stupid post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Good for you. Feel better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

wprathead wrote: »
    I personally don't agree that he should be euthanasied while serving time but joking about prison rape is abhorrent..

Not even a joke tbh. Serial rapists deserve nothing less than the disgusting crimes they themselves have committed. Death is far too lenient an ending for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And I thought reading two lads argue if half a week is 3.5 days or 4 was the stupidest thing I would read today...

Too many soft approaches to people like this rapist..

Why should anyone give a stuff to how this guy is suffering in jail?

Is it of some peoples opinion that to keep him alive to to mistreat him?

floggg wrote: »
    Good for you. Feel better now?

Yes actually!!

• Advertisement

That's all you seem to give a stuff about anyway.

You quote one stupid post!

There were many many more.

osarusan wrote: »
    That's all you seem to give a stuff about anyway.

Fantastic retort!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

wprathead wrote: »
    I personally don't agree that he should be euthanasied while serving time but joking about prison rape is abhorrent..

Some people have an unhealthy fixation with sodomy and anal rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

The people who just want him to suffer might notice that he refused to be considered for early parole.

I think he should be allowed end his life. I think that his decision to do so deserves some sort of respect.

I greatly dislike the lust for suffering of those who have done wrong which is displayed by many people, and evident in some of the posts here. Usually I refer to it as bloodthirstiness, but in this case it is not fitting.

I completely agree with this post. The bloodlust and suffering is such a short sighted and childish view of things. One person hurts another, so as 'justice' there are cries to hurt him back?
    Justice exists to maintain a society, not appease its animal aggression. It provides a deterrent to further crime, and removal of the threat from society.

If society operates on the principle of revenge, then some nutter who cares for the offender will often consider the punishment too hard, and want retribution on his case. Its an infinite progression of violence.

creating further suffering to a human being only makes sense if you acknowledge the reasons you really want it..
    ie: Serial rapist rapes victims.. Lets make him suffer so I feel better, I'm angry.. who can i hurt to make myself feel better.
    Instead it makes more sense to remove the threat from society, and to treat the cause of this behaviour in future so more pain is not affected on to future victims.

If the rapist chooses to end his life instead of continuing, I think he should be granted his exist with respect and mercy. It does each of us no good to create a society which is appeased by violence. Our children will simply adapt the same attitude and then we'll be the first to question why the world is so violent.

To note: If I had been asked this 5 years ago, I would of wanted him tortured as scum.. an immaturity in my understanding of the world and consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Explain how this benefits society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Billy86 wrote: »
    Explain how this benefits society.

It doesn't, it just gives PLUG71 a hard on.

I think what people supporting 'more suffering is bad' side of the discussion is that allowing prison inmates to suffer for peoples pleasure is an assault on the progress of our society. As in it would hurt us all as a whole to inflict pain upon another person for our appeasement.
    I suspect most would support it if it helped future society by rehabilitating him.. but that doesn't really happen with torture.. and his choice to kill himself remove the threat from our world..

I certainly dont benefit from a person suffering.. I do benefit from a threat vanishing from our streets.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Yeah screw the victims and their families.

Lets put this monster out of his misery to save money and put HIM out of his tortured existance!

Meanwhile other people have to just live with it?

FFS.

What exactly do you mean by "screw the victims and their families"? Wat the fcuk are you on about?
    How are they getting "screwed"? People like you always throw out that cliche as if you give a sh1t about them purely to give some cloak of caring to your otherwise rabid and sadistic lust for suffering.

It's an insult to the victims that someone like you would mention them as if you have the slightest regard for them. Or do you think that the victims should be called up everyday and asked what this guy should or shouldn't be allowed to do/eat/read and if there's any deviation from that then you're going to scream "yeah, sure, screw the victims but let this guy read any book he wants?"

The guy was eligible under the law for parole and turned it down. It wouldn't surprise me if you started screaming "How dare he refuse parole! Release him so he can be set upon by a mob and torn limb from limb!"

So then its ok to put this guy down.

Our so called progressive society let terminal sick people suffer but a serial rapist has choices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

PhilBill wrote: »
    Is this a joke? I say let him see what it's like to be anally annihilated in prison!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0103/670154-belgium-euthanasia/

Why is it a joke, He has been in prison for 30 years and has deemed himself not to be suitable for parole. He obviously knows he is a danger and doesn't wish to be so.

If only every scum bag was this caring.

Davei141 wrote: »
    It doesn't, it just gives PLUG71 a hard on.

Jog on ya muppet!

manonboard wrote: »
    I think what people supporting 'more suffering is bad' side of the discussion is that allowing prison inmates to suffer for peoples pleasure is an assault on the progress of our society. As in it would hurt us all as a whole to inflict pain upon another person for our appeasement.
    I suspect most would support it if it helped future society by rehabilitating him.. but that doesn't really happen with torture.. and his choice to kill himself remove the threat from our world..

I certainly dont benefit from a person suffering.. I do benefit from a threat vanishing from our streets.

I think the harm would be rather more tangible than that.

If we base our criminal justice system around revenge and tenhbflcirion of suffering, we will create an expectation and sense of entitlement on the part of victims and their families that they can see wrong doers suffer for their pleasure.

I think that expectation would likely encourage some to take justice into their own hands more often - which even aside from the risk to persons wrongly accused, would likely only perpetuate endless cycles of violence.

Our so called progressive society let terminal sick people suffer but a serial rapist has choices?

It's not our society, is it. It's Belgium - where terminally sick people don't have to suffer and can equally seek euthanasia if they wish.

allibastor wrote: »
    Why is it a joke, He has been in prison for 30 years and has deemed himself not to be suitable for parole. He obviously knows he is a danger and doesn't wish to be so.

If only every scum bag was this caring.

It shouldnt matter what he thinks or how "caring" he is. He deserves to suffer. 30 years is nothing compared to the horror this subhuman has inflicted.

yes I'm of the opinion its OK to put this guy down (because he chooses it).

Well although they are two completely different issues, Yes our irish society currently let terminal sick people suffer in ireland, but this is in belgium, from what a quick google search turns up, they also allow euthanasia for sick people.

It makes little sense to compare the two scenarios as what's right for one may not be right for the other, but in this case, they seem to be congruent (terminally ill in belgium and serial rapist in belgium)

A progressive society doesnt necessarily infer it's complete, it's evolving and these things take time. It's unlikely ever to reach a state where everyone is happy and everything balances with all similarities.

chupacabra wrote: »
    It shouldnt matter what he thinks or how "caring" he is. He deserves to suffer. 30 years is nothing compared to the horror this subhuman has inflicted.

But that is my point, He has inflicted pain and suffering on people with his horrible crimes.

But he is also saying that he doesn't wish to live as he knows he will never change. Why not let him die. I am all for eye for an eye. I don't think by him dying that it is an easy way out. when your dead your dead. Even in prison he can still have some good moments or some good parts of life. Why give them to him, and if he is the one who wants to die let him off, saves the tax payer money they can put towards something useful.

allibastor wrote: »
    But that is my point, He has inflicted pain and suffering on people with his horrible crimes.

But he is also saying that he doesn't wish to live as he knows he will never change. Why not let him die. I am all for eye for an eye. I don't think by him dying that it is an easy way out. when your dead your dead. Even in prison he can still have some good moments or some good parts of life. Why give them to him, and if he is the one who wants to die let him off, saves the tax payer money they can put towards something useful.

I just have a problem with the fact that he is dying on his own terms. He shouldnt be given the satisfaction of it, as odd as that sounds. For him its a way out of whatever mental anguish he is suffering. He didnt give his victims a choice and so he shouldnt have the choice either.

chupacabra wrote: »
    I just have a problem with the fact that he is dying on his own terms. He shouldnt be given the satisfaction of it, as odd as that sounds. For him its a way out of whatever mental anguish he is suffering. He didnt give his victims a choice and so he shouldnt have the choice either.

But he is not dying on his own terms, really is he.

He is still in prison and has been for 30 years. He is still living with what he did. He still now thinks that he is a no hoper and should just end it.

At the end of the day it costs the tax payer a good bit of money to keep him in prison, this money could go towards an operation for a child or something similar.

As said I fully believe people who do the crimes he has committed should get a similar punishment, but at the same time, dead is dead, there is nothing here for you after that so he wont get to do anything else again, ever.

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »
    yes I'm of the opinion its OK to put this guy down (because he chooses it).

Well although they are two completely different issues, Yes our irish society currently let terminal sick people suffer in ireland, but this is in belgium, from what a quick google search turns up, they also allow euthanasia for sick people.

It makes little sense to compare the two scenarios as what's right for one may not be right for the other, but in this case, they seem to be congruent (terminally ill in belgium and serial rapist in belgium)

A progressive society doesnt necessarily infer it's complete, it's evolving and these things take time. It's unlikely ever to reach a state where everyone is happy and everything balances with all similarities.

But why should he have any choices?

Advertisement