Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Convicted serial rapist to be voluntarily euthanised in Belgium'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There was a thread about this a few months ago - so many posters who would usually want him murdered painfully suddenly wanted him to have to rot in prison.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057291198

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Seems fair enough to me. Never have to worry about repeat offending and saves the tax payer the cost of housing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I was initially against this when I saw the headline. But he has served 30 years already. Let the scumbag die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wish we could volunteer all our Rapists and sex offenders for euthanasia also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I was initially against this when I saw the headline. But he has served 30 years already. Let the scumbag die.

He has been given a sentence and should be told to serve it.
    Can't stand being behind bars? I wonder how his victims feel knowing he took something from them that they will never get back.
    Stay in your cell until your sentence is over..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

His victims dont a get a choice and have to suffer for life!

He should be left to suffer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The people who just want him to suffer might notice that he refused to be considered for early parole.

I think he should be allowed end his life. I think that his decision to do so deserves some sort of respect.

I greatly dislike the lust for suffering of those who have done wrong which is displayed by many people, and evident in some of the posts here. Usually I refer to it as bloodthirstiness, but in this case it is not fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Do what the Americans love doing, let them rot in prison for many years while the anxiety kills them as their coming execution day arrives.

The people who just want him to suffer might notice that he refused to be considered for early parole.

I think he should be allowed end his life. I think that his decision to do so deserves some sort of respect.

I greatly dislike the lust for suffering of those who have done wrong which is displayed by many people, and evident in some of the posts here. Usually I refer to it as bloodthirstiness, but in this case it is not fitting.

Would you still see it in the same light if somebody close to you was raped or killed?

I think not somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Would you still see it in the same light if somebody close to you was raped or killed?

I think not somehow.
    Yes I would. I would prefer their death to their imprisonment, and would be pleased if they volunteered to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

PhilBill wrote: »
    Is this a joke? I say let him see what it's like to be anally annihilated in prison!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0103/670154-belgium-euthanasia/

I personally don't agree that he should be euthanasied while serving time but joking about prison rape is abhorrent..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Noobascious

Fookin Stockholm syndromed left wing coksukin whorin pusy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I think not somehow.

Yes, but what matter?

Sentencing laws shouldn't be made through the subjective eyes of the victim. They should be set objectively and dispassionately in order to achieve justice, rather than vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

It's a tough because he's a murdering rapist so it's very easy to think 'f-ck it, let him rot.' But I also think there's no real need to prolong unnecessary anguish. He wants to die. Let him die. Probably the best way to deal with criminals who have no chance of rehabilitation.

Yeah screw the victims and their families.

Lets put this monster out of his misery to save money and put HIM out of his tortured existance!

Meanwhile other people have to just live with it?

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,143 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Lets put this monster out of his misery to save money and put HIM out of his tortured existance!

FFS.

You in favour of the death penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

FFS.

Surely I'm not the only one reading this and picturing someone foaming rabidly at the mouth...

FFS.

What good does keeping him alive do for anybody exactly?

I don't know how I feel about this personally, as state sanctioned euthanasia of physically healthy people feels a little unsettling in principle, but I can't see that keeping him alive will do anything to actually help his victims or their family.

The only thing it can achieve is to satisfy the pettier sides of those people, and give them pleasure at seeing another suffer.

While it's perfectly understandable why they would want that, I don't think any State should accede to those desires or make decisions based on a desire for vengeance or just to see a person suffer.

The criminal justice system should be dispassionate, objective and impartial. It's not there to make victims feel better about themselves but to achieve justice and ensure safety and order for all.

Don't for one second think that means I don't think he deserves to be punished. Life without parole seems a just and fitting sentence for a person who has done what he has done.

Also, I don't think death is an easy way out for him, or that he's getting away light this way. Whether he lives or dies, he will never have freedom or any real life of his own. That is his rightful punishment for what he did.

I don't think it really matters whether he lives or dies - either way, any meaningful life he could he had is forfeit.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one reading this and picturing someone foaming rabidly at the mouth...

Hardly foaming at the mouth.

IMO opinion he would be getting off lightly!

Hardly foaming at the mouth.

IMO opinion he would be getting off lightly!
    And what if the victims families want him dead?

• Advertisement

And what if the victims families want him dead?

Then obviously that is another story!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If it tje convict is eligible for porole or it has been determined that they cannot be rehabilitated AND it is established that they are suffering extremely due to a mental condition...I'll allow it.

Then obviously that is another story!
    So victims (and/or their relatives) should be allowed to sentence the perpetrator of the crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If he's volunteering to put an end to it I think it's a practical and humane solution.

Vengeance is a petty and ignorant reason for having a justice system. It's understandable for victims of serious crime to want it but expecting them to be unbiased and rational about it is silly.
    The purpose is to protect others from those who are dangerous.

Voluntary euthanasia is a sensible solution to this problem.
    If the guilty party is also suffering because of being subjected to their warped mind or the guilt of what they've done then nobody loses anything by him dying but the perpetrator's suffering is ended and everyone becomes more safe.

Opposing it because of some animalistic urge for him to suffer isn't just wrong, it's shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

PhilBill wrote: »
    'Convicted serial rapist to be voluntarily euthanised in Belgium'

Be nice if they made it mandatory for serial Paedophiles.

I must be missing the point here!

Do people really think that this serial rapist should be releaved of suffering?

Do you think the victims and/or their families should be the ones to sentence the perpetrators of the crime?

Well why don't you tell us how making him suffer as much as possible will make the world a better place?

Do you think the victims and/or their families should be the ones to sentence the perpetrators of the crime?

No!

• Advertisement

No!

But then why are you using emotive arguments like "what if it happened to someone close to you?" and why did you say it would be "a completely different story" about euthanising him if the victims families want him dead?

Advertisement