Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Try with the fresh install although 6.3 is still beta I think so you may want to try a fresh install of 6.2.

Running the OS3+ using opena.tv 6.2 and it is pretty solid, might update the image every few weeks, but it is rare that it would let me down.

The only plugin that I use on top of the standard set is crossepg and that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭soram

Thanks - but if I was to suspect any plugin on my original build it would be crossepg! I don't really have many others that I feel are necessary - except the Coolguide thing.

soram wrote: »
    Thanks - but if I was to suspect any plugin on my original build it would be crossepg! I don't really have many others that I feel are necessary - except the Coolguide thing.

Maybe try with a fresh, clean install and add plugins one at a time to see if you get any issues.

Yep - that's what I'm going to do. Just not sure of all the little things that might need to be configured like disk mounting, epg storage etc. Obviously those two I know about! But is there anything else that I might need to do?

Is crossepg the only way of getting the 7-day Saorview and Sat data and if so what sources do I need to enable?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

AFAIK there is a builtin EPG downloader in openATV, it's just a bit slower to update compared to crossEPG. Saorview EPG downloads anyway once a Saorview channel is selected.

PS: if you know how to FTP into the box you can selectively copy your bouquets and timers for later reuse.

• Advertisement

AFAIK there is a builtin EPG downloader in openATV, it's just a bit slower to update compared to crossEPG. Saorview EPG downloads anyway once a Saorview channel is selected.

PS: if you know how to FTP into the box you can selectively copy your bouquets and timers for later reuse.

I use Dreamboxedit for the bouquets so no issue there. Just been though the setup and it seems OK with no plugins though not sure of the epg loader. I’ll give it a week with the inbuilt and see how it goes. Maybe then install cross epg and see if that causes any issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Do NOT install CoolTVGuide. It is NOT necessary. OpenATV has it's own inbuilt EPG.

You really only need CrossEPG - nothing else. It works perfectly on OpenATV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

THE ALM wrote: »
    Maybe try with a fresh, clean install and add plugins one at a time to see if you get any issues.

When you say 'fresh, clean install' what exactly do you mean ?

Just boot off the sub with the image or are there some other steps to do before that that would make the install 'cleaner' ?

A clean install is the image from the developers site rather than someone else's backup. For example, if you are using openATV you can get the latest image installed directly within the system by using the BLUE button and selecting FLASH ONLINE. You will get the options to backup and restore your personal settings etc during the process. If for any reason you think they may be corrupted, you can skip the restore until the box is fully running. If it is OK you can then opt to restore your settings from the BLUE button.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that some low level commands during the install will be in German as it hasn't booted up enough to know you want English. Don't be alarmed by this. As long as you know what "Ja" means you'll figure it out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A clean install is the image from the developers site rather than someone else's backup. For example, if you are using openATV you can get the latest image installed directly within the system by using the BLUE button and selecting FLASH ONLINE. You will get the options to backup and restore your personal settings etc during the process. If for any reason you think they may be corrupted, you can skip the restore until the box is fully running. If it is OK you can then opt to restore your settings from the BLUE button.

Thanks for that. I just did it from the blue button using the FLASH ONLINE option.

Much better than making a usb etc.

• Advertisement

So I did a fresh install and it all looks good and pretty stable the last few days. The epg loader though isn’t great. Some channels are missing data. Guess I’ll install cross epg and see how that afffects it

Eh....where do I find crossepg???? Can’t find it in the list of downloadable plugins!

Sorry found it!

Right - so it seemed fine with just the OpenATV image except BBC 1 HD, Channel 4 and a couple of other random channels didn;t update the EPG. But it was stable. I elected to install CROSSEPG and that indeed populated all the channels and looked good - until I came home tonight :(
    I had the blue spinner again and needed to reboot so I'm guessing it is crossepg that was and is my issue. I put it on autoload every 24 hours at 3 or 4 in the morning. Is there something I'm missing here? Could particular providers be causing it to crash or something else?

Cheers

Make sure crossepg is storing to the HDD not internal memory. If you are using a USB key for storage it may not be fast enough. The only provider you need is OpenTV select astra 28.2 no need for any other XMLTV ones.

Yes - i have it pointing to my HDD which is a SSD.....

Have you a working signal on both sat tuners? You haven't configured it to try and download an XMLTV guide from a broken website?

Yes - both tuners are working - this has been a real pain since I got the box no matter what flavour of OpenATV was on it or how I reinstalled it. I even changed out the HDD a few times because I wasn't sure what was going on.

If I force a download it seems to work fine I don't think any of the links are broken. I also updated all the providers before selection. What would be the minimum provider set I would need for Irish and UK free channels? I have FTA, Freeview, Freesat and International checked.

Maybe I'll schedule the automatic download for some time this evening and watch it happen rather than have it at 3am.

You only need openTV and select Astra 28.2. No need for any others. You do not need crossEPG for Saorview. It will populate itself once a channel is selected. Likewise if you are getting FreeView by aerial from the North or Wales.

OK thanks.

OpenTV however gave me an error and would not load so I unchecked it and went to the XML ones....I'll have to have a look at that again then.

• Advertisement

openTV gets it's data direct from the satellite which is why I was asking about both tuners working. If one wasn't working openTV would not be able to get any data and throw an error.

OK - I 'thought' they were working but I'll check that all out this evening.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

In addition, is that the only plugin that you downloaded yourself (other than the ones pre-installed) ?

Yes that is the only plugin on top of the naked OpenATV!

So I turned on the OpenTV EPG download but it failed with tuner lock. I then remembered I had taken the combiner off one of the sat cables as I thought it was affecting my Virgin box (I had the Cable combined form the attic). But I had left the tuner enabled. I disabled tuner B and the tuner lock issue went away and the download proceeded. So I’ll see over the next few days if that helps......

Before I did all that I set the download timer for a time I was watching and it all went well......so I am puzzled a little.

Ta

As mentioned above crossEPG was trying and failing to download using tuner B. It is essential to disable the 2nd tuner if it is not connected. This would also cause recordings to fail as it wouldn't always find a free tuner.

So the box has been up and stable since disabling the XML epg downloads and enabling the OpenTV.......

anybody running any Philips Hue compatible plugins on this?

So the box has been up and stable since disabling the XML epg downloads and enabling the OpenTV.......

So - famous last words! I spoke too soon. Came home today and the box had crashed again :(

So - famous last words! I spoke too soon. Came home today and the box had crashed again :(

Just an update for anyone in the same position. I deleted the crossepg plugin and had no crash for several days. I did some research and found a thread on a SAT forum that described exactly my problem - the manually initiated download worked fine but the auto download at 4am crashes the box - unfortunately the thread went nowhere :(

Anyway without crossepg the epg data didn't populate so I downloaded the epg-loader plugin that collects XML data. Again this worked fine for a day or so and when initiated manually but when switched to auto it again crashed the box :(

Deleted this and the box has been stable for a week but no epg data unless I select the channel but that is no good for forward recording.......

BTW the box never gets powered down so it is not like it has to be awoken to do the auto update. So I'm stuck and probably stuck with Virgin as the epg is a deal breaker for herself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I switch my box off every night. It takes a couple of minutes after switch on to populate the EPG. Perfect after that. Never have any crashes. Box is not connected to internet unless I'm running a software update.

Advertisement