Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭soram

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    I bought one identical to the one from free TV. Same issue. Cannot get os mega to see it either. My box is currently a twin satellite so not an issue with it only being able to pick up 1 dvb-t tuner

I tried mine last weekend but couldn't get it to work. The guys in FreeTV also tried and had the same issue so I sent it back. Looking at other forums I believe it is a driver issue for that chipset and it may need a kernel update. The driver that you get will only do the DVB-T if it works at all anyway and not the DVB-C tuner in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I am trying to put a new image on this box. It doesnt see the update file when I power on. I am assuming there is a problem with the bootloader but I cant find any info how to reload it. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Kalyke wrote: »
    I am trying to put a new image on this box. It doesnt see the update file when I power on. I am assuming there is a problem with the bootloader but I cant find any info how to reload it. Any suggestions?

Have u formatted the USB to fat32
    Also some usb sticks don't work for images.
    What make is it

You are quite right...I was using FAT. Thanks!!

I haven’t updated my box in a couple of months and just tried to do it this morning. However, when I go to the Update screen it says the feed is green but finds no updates for anything. This worked fine in November when it would find lots every day nearly if I as bothered.

Any ideas? Has the feed changed and I need to add something different somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

6.0 is a bit old. The current version is 6.1 (6.2 is also available in beta but still a wee bit buggy.) You may have to bite the bullet and flash 6.1. Be sure to back up your settings first. If you want 'belt & braces' you can always make a 'full backup' too.
    When you select 'flash online' you should see an option to use 6.1 instead. It will offer to save your settings and reinstall later. In some cases you may have to reset crossEPG to automatically download but other things such as bouquets, timers etc should transfer by themselves. The whole process only takes about 3 mins.

Ah - hadn't thought it was that old yet! Thanks for the reply - I'll probably upgrade over the weekend.

Cheers

One question on upgrading. Can I do it directly online from the box or do I need to download 6.1 from somewhere and use a USB stick?

Thanks

There should be all the options I mentioned above in the same menu as the software update. The box will download, unpack and install all by itself.

There should be all the options I mentioned above in the same menu as the software update. The box will download, unpack and install all by itself.

Sorry - I didn't read your post properly! Yes - it was there exactly how you said and I just upgraded. Took about 3 minutes and everything seems to work perfectly!

• Advertisement

soram wrote: »
    Sorry - I didn't read your post properly! Yes - it was there exactly how you said and I just upgraded. Took about 3 minutes and everything seems to work perfectly!

One of the many reasons I'm such a big fan of openATV :)

Another unrelated question really - I have some movies on HDD. Normally, they all used to play fine in letterbox and seemed to be properly scaled. Since last year though the box seems to stretch the frame to fill the screen vertically. This did not happen before and I think only started when I went to OpenATV 6.0.
    If I play the movie on VLC on the laptop it is correct. Other movies also appear to be correct but some are stretched. This is pretty annoying and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is happening. I have looked at the TV settings but there is nothing I can do there to change anything. It is set to 16:9 and no settings I change will compress the frame back. I also have a Marantz AV amplifier and again I have been through every damn menu to see if I can figure out how to compress it but to no avail. I really feel something changed in the media player with the upgrade to 6.0 but I can't nail anything down there either.

Anybody else experiencing this or have an idea how to solve it? Even if I have to force a setting while just watching that film and change back afterwards I'd be happy.

Another unrelated question really - I have some movies on HDD. Normally, they all used to play fine in letterbox and seemed to be properly scaled. Since last year though the box seems to stretch the frame to fill the screen vertically. This did not happen before and I think only started when I went to OpenATV 6.0.
    If I play the movie on VLC on the laptop it is correct. Other movies also appear to be correct but some are stretched. This is pretty annoying and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is happening. I have looked at the TV settings but there is nothing I can do there to change anything. It is set to 16:9 and no settings I change will compress the frame back. I also have a Marantz AV amplifier and again I have been through every damn menu to see if I can figure out how to compress it but to no avail. I really feel something changed in the media player with the upgrade to 6.0 but I can't nail anything down there either.

Anybody else experiencing this or have an idea how to solve it? Even if I have to force a setting while just watching that film and change back afterwards I'd be happy.

OK I'm sitting at home injured so have some time! I had a brainwave and thought I'd see if I could stream the same film via my XBox. This works perfectly using the same AV and TV settings - the frame is not expanded and I see that the audio is 5.1 where the Media Centre was coding this to stereo. File is MKV format. So anybody know if there are settings I can adjust for this in OpenATV or might there be a better Media Player plugin available?

Cheers

OK I'm sitting at home injured so have some time! I had a brainwave and thought I'd see if I could stream the same film via my XBox. This works perfectly using the same AV and TV settings - the frame is not expanded and I see that the audio is 5.1 where the Media Centre was coding this to stereo. File is MKV format. So anybody know if there are settings I can adjust for this in OpenATV or might there be a better Media Player plugin available?

Cheers
    MENU>SETUP>VIDEO
    and have a look around

Been there so often to no avail. I’d say there may be an issue with the codecs for some file types on the media player. I’ve found a VLC enigma plugin and may try that tomorrow!

So I've been on OpenATV 6.1 for a month now and it is continually crashing. Especially when recording. It will just suddenly lose connection to the HDD and say 'Write error while recording. Disk Full?' This also happens when using the EPG. Now the disk is not full and when I go to Media Centre it cannot seem to access it. I tried reformatting it but didn't really help. It works fine after rebooting for a day or two and then bombs again. Could there be some background process that is filling some temp up? Any ideas welcome....

Further update - I can access the HDD over my home network and browse it and write to it fine. It only has 20GB of stuff on it. So it seems OpenATV has some issue rather than the disk itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So I've been on OpenATV 6.1 for a month now and it is continually crashing. Especially when recording. It will just suddenly lose connection to the HDD and say 'Write error while recording. Disk Full?' This also happens when using the EPG. Now the disk is not full and when I go to Media Centre it cannot seem to access it. I tried reformatting it but didn't really help. It works fine after rebooting for a day or two and then bombs again. Could there be some background process that is filling some temp up? Any ideas welcome....

Are you sure you're set up properly? Are your timeshifts or recordings going to the internal drive maybe?

Are you sure you're set up properly? Are your timeshifts or recordings going to the internal drive maybe?

I thought that myself but I checked a few times and when I do connect to the HDD over the network from a laptop I can see the directories with the EPG data and some recordings that complete or are partial. Could there be some other thing other than these that is also writing to the internal flash that I may have overlooked?

I had another look to be sure and it seems it is all set up correctly, as far as I can see. CrossEPG, recordings and timeshift are going to the HDD which is a mounted disk that has 100GB free.

It does make sense that it would be the internal flash disk that is getting full somehow and crashing OpenATV as the kernel appears to be up and as I said I can access the HDD over the network even when the GUI has frozen.

I thought maybe something else had written to the flash but INFO says only half the available memory is being used at the moment.

I am also up to date with all software updates.

It's annoying!

• Advertisement

I had a very similar problem. I re[placed the hard disk and everything works as it should now. On another topic, is anyone using an OpenPli 6.1 image on this box?

My Optimuss just died this evening. Power supply is good but it will not power on. Any ideas? Failing that any recommendations for a replacement? It would have to be Enigma 2 based and have a Sat and Saorview tuner. Not bothered about recording any more. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

What’s on the screen.
    Have u tried all connections first.
    Then I’d try flash a new image

The display is blank. I measured 12v out of the power supply. The box is getting some power as the RF out and HDMI outputs register on the TV when I switch it on. Update, it was the power supply. Must have been breaking down under load!

I haven't used my Optimuss for a while since Virgin became available in the neighbourhood. But I don't really use the Virgin except for cheap channels so Saorview and Sat would actually be fine and as my contract runs out soon I'm thinking of reverting to the Optimuss.

I had OpenATV6.1 and it kept crashing last year so upgraded to OpenATV6.2 and kept up to date but that also crashed a lot - every few days but enough that she would get annoyed! Last night I saw 6.3 was out so I've upgraded to that. I'm sure it's probably a plugin that's causing the issue but all it can be really is something to do with the EPG load I'd say but I'm not sure what to do about that. I expect 6.3 to crash too to be honest.

Can anybody recommend a very stable image or even have a build of OpenATV that is rock solid with a 7 day epg for Saorview and FreeSat? Or VIX or whatever else is out there?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I haven't liked open atv in a while I'm using vix for the past year on my vu plus solo2 and it hasnt cause a problem and only checked the other day it's been installed over a year now.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I haven't liked open atv in a while I'm using vix for the past year on my vu plus solo2 and it hasnt cause a problem and only checked the other day it's been installed over a year now.

I’ve no issue trying something new! How would I go about it and if I load up a base image is it easy to configure? Any gotchas?

I just had a quick Google and OPENVIX don't support the Optimuss :(

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

I run my Optimuss OS3+ and it's perfect. Runs IPTV too.

What plugins are you running on your box ?

Have you installed an additional EPG plugin in addition to the built-in version ?

• Advertisement

To be honest I don't really know! I've just had a FreeTV image that I've kept updating. I'm 'just' in the process of installing 6.3 from scratch as I type but if you had an image that I could load i'd appreciate it!

If not I'll continue with my install......

Advertisement