Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

No. You can not successfully split satellite cables. That's the reason your old box had two cables and tuners. One watching while the other recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No. You can not successfully split satellite cables. That's the reason your old box had two cables and tuners. One watching while the other recorded.

OK, thanks Gerry.

Just to be 100% clear what I'm asking, I was thinking that maybe something like this could work

https://www.google.ie/search?q=honda+stream&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5i53h7dbOAhUEL8AKHeSCBrQQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=coaxial+splitter&imgrc=Uvt8aCD1yHLHFM%3A

I'd connect the two cables from the dish to the dual side then connect the single one to the box.

Is that a no go?

Any idea of a fix?

Thanks.

Absolutely no point in joining the cables. The only option is a box with 2 DVB-S2 tuners. If the Edision is brand new perhaps the retailer will consider an exchange to a better model.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

cian_r wrote: »
    Hi,

I dont think the Edision Optimuss OS 3 is available anymore. I see FreeTV.ie are selling the OS mini twin tuner. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a usb dvb-t tuner with this and effectively make the box a triple tuner?

Just noticed that too. See freetv have the Mini Combo (DVB-S2 + DVB-T2/C), the Mini (DVB-S2 Twin Tuner) and the Mini+ (DVB-S2/T2/C) - now I'm even more confused. Are any of these close to the Optimuss in specs? Also, which of these would be the better model as they all seem the same?

Edit: the mini+ appears to be a light model with only 1 LNB input. Do the other 2 models with 2 LNB inputs mean I could record 1 channel while watching another?

Edit 2: after reading the specs, they answer my questions plus the poster above me answered it too. Does anyone have the twin tuner and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

Im looking for some advice if anyone can recommend please?
    I have an internal 1tb HDD in the OS3+ but would like to move some of my recordings onto a seperate external 5tb HDD for permanent keeping.
    I've connected the 5tb to the OS3 by USB and using the file recording menu I've tried move files over but there is about 10-12 clicks and menu moves and the transfers take ages e.g a 3gb file takes 15 mins or so.
    I know I could remote in wirelessly using filezilla but Id be worried that it wouldnt be stable enough.
    It may sound like a first world problem but I want to move around 500gbs of files & would take ages.
    Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Filezila will be grand. I would just take the hard drive out and use a hdd caddy to swap stuff over before I put it back on again.

Filezilla will do the job grand. It can recover from minor errors and interruptions when using wifi. Maybe not the fastest but you can continue to use the box at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Safest bet is to 'copy' the files and when you confirm they are copied accurately then separately deleted the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

My friends box is locking up on HD freaks, what's open ATV like on it now if anyone is using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

It's my daily runner for the past year. Can't fault it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

There is also an OpenVix rip linked further back, one of the German forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Is the new Edision™ OS MEGA Combo a step up from the box this thread is discussing?

Does it take a while for a descent backup image to appear or are the default images stage enough these days?

Is setting up the terrestrial tuner on an Edision handy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Yes it's a step up with a better newer processor for a start,built in wifi and bluetooth, also the option to split the third tuner to make it a quad tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

I have been using this box for approximately 18 months now and it has generally worked very well. I have one problem though in that I have had two hdd failures (both internal) in that time.

Are there any settings I am not aware of to avoid this again or are particular drives better than others? Looking at a WD AV 1tb drive on Amazon as a replacement.

Irreverent wrote: »
    I have been using this box for approximately 18 months now and it has generally worked very well. I have one problem though in that I have had two hdd failures (both internal) in that time.

Are there any settings I am not aware of to avoid this again or are particular drives better than others? Looking at a WD AV 1tb drive on Amazon as a replacement.
    If you have live rewind activated, it means the HDD is always recording.

Cheers Gerry. I'll check to see if it's activated. That could well be it. There are so many settings in E2 it's hard to keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭soram

Hi all
    Haven't posted for a while as my edision has been working great. However, I came home this evening and now the CoolTV Guide won't display :(
    Pressing the epg button does nothing. I've tried rebooting and assigning the button to other guides. Reboot doesn't help and reassigning pulls up the other guides fine but when I program back to cooltv it doesn't work.

Anybody with the same issue? Got a possible solution? Or can recommend another guide plugin?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

This is being discussed on another thread.

See;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246289&page=451

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭soram

Many thanks

Hi all. Just coming back to my post from last week. I have put a new hdd into the optimuss and initialised it. Tineshift is still active on the box but I don't see an option to turn it off. Does anyone know how to turn this option off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Irreverent wrote: »
    Hi all. Just coming back to my post from last week. I have put a new hdd into the optimuss and initialised it. Tineshift is still active on the box but I don't see an option to turn it off. Does anyone know how to turn this option off?

I think simething like Menu, system, timeshift, enable permanent timeshift yes/no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have a AA2+ running enigma 2.

Would this be a big step up? It's €165 on freetv at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

lawred2 wrote: »
    I have a AA2+ running enigma 2.

Would this be a big step up? It's €165 on freetv at the moment.

Which box is €165 at the moment? The OS 3 hasn't been sold for a while by freetv

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

glic83 wrote: »
    Which box is €165 at the moment? The OS 3 hasn't been sold for a while by freetv

:(

ooops

sorry I misread the product page - it's the Edision™ OS Mini Triple Tuner

The OS Mega would probably be the one most comparible to the OS3+ and does pack a bit more grunt compared to it, would definitely be a jump up from the aa2

Happy enough with the OS3+ and runs well, will probably wait to see what comes out in the future with 4k boxes before I consider upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

lawred2 wrote: »
    :(

ooops

sorry I misread the product page - it's the Edision™ OS Mini Triple Tuner

That's just the OS Mini twin with an overpriced USB terrestrial tuner thrown in .That's poor value as you can pick up one of the USB tuners for under a tenner .

The OS Mega would be much superior,its a big step up from tha AA2 in power as Alm says.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Hey All,

Selling my trusty OS3 if anyone is browsing here and interested in owning one.

I'm happy with Edision so moving to the OS Mega.

Link to my ad here, but happy to take any Qs.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tv-for-sale/edision-optimuss-os3-3xtuner-sat-multimedia-box/14638033

Thanks and Sorry for the shameless plug!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

What's the best image at the moment guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

GY A1 wrote: »
    What's the best image at the moment guys.

I've a backup from openvix from techkings which works well.

The site appears to be down for maintenance at the moment so I can't link to it http://www.techkings.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=639

I've not tried any openatv images.

• Advertisement

Openatv v5.3 and Hdfreaks v5.5 would be the two best supported images, I ran HDF 5.5 for the last few months without to many problems once set up and left alone. Currently trialling Openatv v6.0 to see how it goes although this is a beta image.

as illdoit2morrow mentions, openvix is another popular image although not officially supported as far as I know.

The key is to set it up and not fiddle around with it and not installing loads of plugins and such like.

Advertisement