Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan €4,000 Scrappage Deal and the Nissan Note

Options
  • 03-01-2015 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Hi Motoring Folks,

TLDR:
    I am looking into buying a new Nissan Note under the Swappage deal. It would cost me 12,195 after trade in. I am wondering if you guys can recommend any small but spacious alternatives in the €10-14,000 range.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/nissan/note-hatchback/summary/26191-5

Long Version:
    So I've been eyeing up new cars for a little bit. I'm looking for something small, but not tiny, practical and spacious. Whatever I get will be transporting bikes / come with roof racks.

I have previously only considered buying pre-owned but the 4000 euro scrappage deal has piqued my interest, as my current car would get me 1000 euro max on a regular trade in or private sale.

I've read reviews, and looked at the car and it looks good to me. I have yet to give it a test drive.

The model I am looking at, the base model, retails at €16,195, so including trade in I'd be paying 12,195

If I were to sell my current car privately, that would leave 13,195 for a non-Nissan alternative. There might be wiggle room on a cash sale for a new car which could conceivably bring my budget to 14,000.

I am not Knowledgeable about cars in the slightest, I'd be really appreciative for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In case anyone's wondering

http://www.nissan.ie/offers/new-vehicles/nissan-scrappage-€4000?gclid=CJz7ovPG-MICFclt2wodJi4AIw

That's quite a good deal. Resale value won't be great but what harm.
    There's really nothing new out there that size for €12k straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would go with the note if it was me. It would be well worth getting the SV if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

It's a matter of choice really €14,000 would get you a new Toyota Yaris which would prob hold its value better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

colm_mcm wrote: »
    In case anyone's wondering

http://www.nissan.ie/offers/new-vehicles/nissan-scrappage-€4000?gclid=CJz7ovPG-MICFclt2wodJi4AIw

That's quite a good deal. Resale value won't be great but what harm.
    There's really nothing new out there that size for €12k straight.

Hi Colm,

Thanks for the response. When you mention resale not being great - is this a Nissan thing, or will this deal cause a substantial markdown to exist in the resale market in a few years time?

Both of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could try the Toyota Verso or a Ford B-Max. Citroen C3 Piccaso and Honda Jazz are to more. Not sure what the prices for any of them is do. Just some options if you want to look around a bit before buying the Note. Seems a very good deal for the Note do. Not all Nissans have bad resale value the Qushqai,s is very good thats because there is a big demand for them 2nd hand.

They're all way more expensive to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ah ok. Still no harm having a look do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rosenallis

We are looking at the same deal. We had a budget of 10 for a second hand car but saw this new one as a good option and help keep away the headaches.

They havent been too generous with negotiations though.

• Advertisement

rosenallis wrote: »

They havent been too generous with negotiations though.

4 grand off is generous though. Are you upset they won't give you a bit more? Maybe they don't have it to give.
    I wouldn't rate the new pulsar, but at €15-€16 grand who cares if its not as good as a €23k Golf.

Sorry, that came across worse than I meant it too...

First time show room buyer so had expected a harder sell but it was pretty much take it or leave it offer.

You wouldn't blame them tbh, they're probably making nothing out of those deals and just buying market share.

Sorry, that came across worse than I meant it too...

First time show room buyer so had expected a harder sell but it was pretty much take it or leave it offer.

With a deal like that it will usually be take it or leave it. You might get a free service or a few little accessories but they won't budge on the purchase price

You wouldn't blame them tbh, they're probably making nothing out of those deals and just buying market share.

Lack of experience here, apologies.

Do you thinks its a good car for the price?

Are you looking at the Note 1.2 Xe for €12,195? If so yes absolutely.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Are you looking at the Note 1.2 Xe for €12,195? If so yes absolutely.

Yes, was looking at the XE. We've been quoted 13, 195 with delivery. Metallic is an extra 500.

Can't really justify the SV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

What car do you have at the moment?

Chris___ wrote: »
    What car do you have at the moment?

2002 Seat Cordoba so to be honest anything is an upgrade!

Yeah, to be fair its a lot of car for the money. You get Bluetooth and cruise control and stuff thst you wouldn't usually get on a cheap car.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to be fair its a lot of car for the money. You get Bluetooth and cruise control and stuff thst you wouldn't usually get on a cheap car.

That's fair, thanks for your replies. Our focus is on just a car which gets from a to b, is reliable and room for family. Not overly concerned with the above to be honest but the car seems to tick our boxes.

We just can't afford the worry of breakdown and expensive repairs and service we may get with second hand

That makes sense. Then again there are plenty decent cars from good makes available for €6000-7000 but these would be 6-7 years old. You can keep this twice as long and it'll still be newer at the end of the day.
    Go for it id say. Just don't scrimp on maintaining it once the warranty runs out. New cars need to be minded too.

2002 Seat Cordoba so to be honest anything is an upgrade!

Thats very true! I said this to someone else earlier to someone and I know it doesn't really apply to you but I think it really is worth upgrading to the SV.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Thats very true! I said this to someone else earlier to someone and I know it doesn't really apply to you but I think it really is worth upgrading to the SV.

Out of curiosity how come?

Out of curiosity how come?

It gets you some nice extras like electric windows, a/c, and alloy wheels.
    But none of these are things you have on the cordoba so you won't miss them.

The base model has electric windows.

The base model has electric windows.

Only in the front I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Interested in this , Nothing to trade in , Can I buy something and trade that it , If so please point me to the cheapest option

Worth trying, nissan hardly actually want a load of scrap cars.

Terms and Conditions

Available on Micra, Note Juke and Pulsar Models only
    Available at participating dealers only
    Qualifying trade-in vehicles must be registered I the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 months previous to date of trade in
    Qualifying vehicles must have valid NCT and road tax certificates or certificates that have expire no more than 6months prior to date of trade –in.
    Offer only applies to vehicles registered by 31st Jan
    This is a mutually exclusive offer and no other offer apply
    This is a limited offer – check with your local dealers for details.

Interesting, looks like if the car is out of tax and test less than 6 months, you'd be ok. Also doesn't say you need to be the registered owner any length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Would make the Juke very cheap too - under 16k. They seem to hold their value quite well dont they? Nissan dealers generally offer 1500 cash discount, so this deal looks good if you have trade in worth less than 1k

Advertisement