Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So. What is everyone doing new years eve?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Drinks in the local with our friends. It's walking distance home and we know pretty much everyone in there. But we do this every Friday as well so it's nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bit more kissing than normal. I'll probably probably catch a cold or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Worst night out of the year.
    Everyone ****faced by 12.
    Panic to find ghe right venue by 12.
    The hassle of trying to find a woman to kiss by 12.
    The aftermath.
    Load of ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

lc180 wrote: »
    Until I see photo evidence I taking your sisters side on this one.....

Go away, you're not getting photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

Ill be out dancing with friends.. alcohol free night out.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Same thing I do every year, nothing. Absolutely ridiculous hype surrounding it. Don't see any reason to celebrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

After spending 5 days of Xmas with the in-laws, I'm happy to stay in have something nice to eat, drink some wine and maybe watch a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Friends coming over until about 10 then dunno. Might not even stay awake for it depending on how tired and/or tipsy I am.

Used to enjoy the night when you'd be out to parties or whatever but these days it's just another night really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

Sitting at home watching Mary Kennedy (isn't she lovely?) ringing in the new year with Marty Whelan. And giving out about everything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

Isn't it pathetic that it's the same set of names that keep popping up in these threads on AH. Do ye ever think how pathetic ye are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

keano_afc wrote: »
    Same thing I do every year, nothing. Absolutely ridiculous hype surrounding it. Don't see any reason to celebrate.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Nothing. My interest in the new year ended on New Years Eve 1999 when the doctor told us my father wouldn't live much longer (which he didn't). Ever since then I've just thought of it as another shitty day on the calendar where shitty things are as likely to happen as on any other shitty day of the shitty year.

Apart from wishing my mother a happy new year I don't usually even acknowledge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ewinslet wrote: »
    Isn't it pathetic that it's the same set of names that keep popping up in these threads on AH. Do ye ever think how pathetic ye are?

Do they pop up as much as your aul wan's jocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Was meant to go Nathan Carter in Killarney until my sister turned on me once again. Was meant to go with her.

Blamed me for a broken Christmas tree and as if I was a bold child took everything back of me and unfriended me on Facebook.

Then apparently, to get revenge on my sister's mood, she thought I took her bank card to clear out her bank account. It fell out of her purse in her handbag.

I refuse to go anywhere with someone like that. I'm too old for childish teenage tantrums.

We were on speaking terms and getting on great. Then she blamed me as if everything was my fault. We're both in our 30s.

There was two years solid in our 20s she blamed me where everything was my fault. She lost a book, it was my fault, the mail didn't come, it was my fault. Had a Xmas party once, where I was due out the door at 7, I came home at 6 and needed a shower, my sister wasn't going anywhere and she went into the bathroom to shower herself. How dare I look good. Things were so bad, I stopped talking to her, stopped giving her any excuse.

Here it is all starting up again. She must be jealous I have a bigger pair of tits.

This should have been the start of a WHOLE new thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

suger club- Sh*t robot-always good every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Could well be sitting at home and sulking considering I dumped my partner not 8 weeks ago.

If I do it'll be the first new year I haven't been out since like 2008 or something..

Have no idea what most of my friends are doing, some are going out with just their partners and families so I might just stay in and drink myself stupid to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb and avoid the amounts of friends throwing the "Plenty more fish in the sea" and "Aww man you're a great catch!" phrases at me if I do go out. Knowing me the phone will hop all day tomorrow with people making an effort to get me out. In the back of my mind I'll just think "What the f**k for? Just to look at loved up couples at midnight" plus it'll remind me how great my last new year was and show s**t this one is.

God this time of year sucks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Could well be sitting at home and sulking considering I dumped my partner not 8 weeks ago.

If I do it'll be the first new year I haven't been out since like 2008 or something..

Have no idea what most of my friends are doing, some are going out with just their partners and families so I might just stay in and drink myself stupid to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb and avoid the amounts of friends throwing the "Plenty more fish in the sea" and "Aww man you're a great catch!" phrases at me if I do go out. Knowing me the phone will hop all day tomorrow with people making an effort to get me out. In the back of my mind I'll just think "What the f**k for? Just to look at loved up couples at midnight" plus it'll remind me how great my last new year was and show s**t this one is.

God this time of year sucks!

You should have waited 8 weeks.

- Capt Hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

You should have waited 8 weeks.

- Capt Hindsight.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way, wasn't much point in keeping it going where issues kept arising that kept making either of us unhappy. A lot of it was her issues not mine and I just had enough, wouldn't be like me to dump anyone to begin with, my past relationships ended amicably except the most recent.

Bah...just busting chops because I miss the companionship...especially on what's meant to be "The most wonderful time of the year" and all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I usually spend it on my own watching tv. Usually the only time over christmas I get the remote to myself. Send herself a text bout twelve saying happy new year, then back to die hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

If my due date is anything to go by I'll be having my first baby!

More likely I'll be watching a movie and over eating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Going down to stay with my aunt.
    I'll be going to Lidls to stock up on cheese and cheap champers so I envision a quiet night in getting tipsy watching crap tv.
    Town is too crowded on NYE so I'm avoiding it like the plague. Might watch a movie or two- haven't decided what yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

ewinslet wrote: »

So what are you doing new years eve ya grump ya

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Like others, I think NYE is totally overrated crap. Sentimental shyte too, when all I want to do is cry my eyes out when they sing Auld Lang Syne. Doesn't float my boat.

BUT, me and OH usually go to the local pub that in fairness has a great atmosphere, great bands on at weekends and is safe and well run.

We usually go out around 7oc and stay for a couple of hours. By nine o'clock the crowd is arriving, and I get great craic out of watching all the wimmins with their gorgeous dresses and ten foot heels. People watching.

By nine it's filling up fast and getting very noisy. So we leave, pick up an Indian takeaway, come home to a warm house and are in the leaba before midnight. OH knows I hate the Bells shyte.

Might sound strange to some, but it's what I like. Simple, avoiding the bits I hate, yet getting out for a couple of hours on the night. My OH is so understanding. Bless him.

Happy New Year to you all BTW. There, I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Going over to a friends house for a party. Should be good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Watching tv and eating rubbish food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Supposedly giving birth. But baby seems to have other ideas and having a night in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Prob go up the local for a bit, hopefully will be gone home by 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I'll spend the day part of New Years reading this thread of Irish people thinking that New Years is

"A load of crap"
    "A ****e night out"
    "Too commercial"
    "Just another night"

Then I'll go enjoy the company of my mates for the evening

House Party. Lots of cooking and preperation went on today. I am knackered. I have made 10 different kinds of DIP today alone. Not to mention the vast quantities of meat the butcher dropped off. Gonna be a gorge fest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

House Party. Lots of cooking and preperation went on today. I am knackered. I have made 10 different kinds of DIP today alone. Not to mention the vast quantities of meat the butcher dropped off. Gonna be a gorge fest.

You bought tesco frozen party food didn't you?

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    You bought tesco frozen party food didn't you?

Nope. I am something of a chef hobbyist. I grow and make what I can rather than buy it.

Advertisement