Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Wildcard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

MagicIRL wrote: »
    4.4m entry in to Arsenal back four.

Is he a guarantee starter? He may be rotated with Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I'm having trouble picking my defenders. Terry is a given. But apart from that, all the obvious ones are all home or away on the same weeks.

Sounthampton/Sunderland/West Brom/Arsenal/ManU (Bertrand/PVA/Wisdom/Bellerin/Jones) all at home this week, but will all be away next week. Not great for rotation.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads where's all the Pelle love coming from? Pretty poor returns recently.

Poor returns recently, but has good fixtures coming up. Has dropped quite low in price. Guaranteed starter.

Obviously he's more expensive than Kane/Ings/Austin, but with Costa out, I think most people have plenty of money.

I see Baird in a lot of teams. Are people going for him as they don't have a WB defender and he's 0.6 cheaper than Wisdom, or, like me, have they downgraded from Wisdom to Baird?

I'll bank 0.3m by going Wisdom to Baird, but I can't decide if it's worth it. I feel the 0.3 might be handy to have down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I'm having trouble picking my defenders. Terry is a given. But apart from that, all the obvious ones are all home or away on the same weeks.

Sounthampton/Sunderland/West Brom/Arsenal/ManU (Bertrand/PVA/Wisdom/Bellerin/Jones) all at home this week, but will all be away next week. Not great for rotation.

I won't be rotating Clyne (bar City A maybe). I learned my lesson from having cleanies against Everton and ManU on the bench.
    I see Baird in a lot of teams. Are people going for him as they don't have a WB defender and he's 0.6 cheaper than Wisdom, or, like me, have they downgraded from Wisdom to Baird?

I'll bank 0.3m by going Wisdom to Baird, but I can't decide if it's worth it. I feel the 0.3 might be handy to have down the line!

Never had Wisdom and don't want to pay 4.5m so I'm risking Baird.

• Advertisement

I won't be rotating Clyne (bar City A maybe). I learned my lesson from having cleanies against Everton and ManU on the bench.

Never had Wisdom and don't want to pay 4.5m so I'm risking Baird.

Yeah the Southampton players are maybe a bad example (if I go for Bert/Clyne I'll be playing them too).

The rest of my defence should be pretty nailed on, so think I'll risk the downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Right, I've finally settled on the below after getting to spend a bit of time at it tonight. Panic slightly averted now I feel:

7bebbbd7cd2560c260cf5f7c7961c18c.png

Foster should really read Pulis and therefore there's no explanation necessary :pac:

At the back I've gone with Ivanovic over Terry. He obviously offers more going forward and with the spare cash I had that would otherwise be sitting in the bank, I've decided to invest it in the hope of generating more attacking returns on top of the obvious clean sheet potential. I'm taking a punt on Manchester United's kind fixtures more than anything with the acquisition of Jones, and after starting the last 6 or 7 games he appears to be pretty set at the position. Bertrand was very good to me prior to me dumping him as Southampton's fixtures turned for the worse, so I'm happy to get him back in here. van Aanholt and Hutton round out my defence and offer me options, especially with Sunderland's kind home fixtures for the rest of the season.

Hazard and Sanchez speak for themselves, while Eriksen appears to be heading that way, after being central to everything Spurs have done for the last while. The fixtures aren't ideal, but going with Eriksen as Spurs coverage allowed me to go Eriksen/Pelle instead of Silva/Kane which I prefer. Johnson is just a punt on my part. Poyet is starting to feel the heat a little now and Sunderland badly need creativity. He has started to play Johnson centrally behind the strikers in a 5-3-2 aimed at getting the best out of Defoe, so should Sunderland do anything I would hope AJ will be involved. At least he has a striker to put away any chances he creates now! Couple that with the fixtures and the fact Sigurdsson is suspended and Downing's fixtures are horrendous and in that price bracket I think it's worth a shot. Boyd is super-sub as always and hasn't let me down at all this season.

Aguero is always going to be in any team of mine when fit. With no Costa I've decided to get Giroud in ahead of Arsenal's nice run, and I'm taking a shot on Pelle. Advanced stats suggest he should have scored more than he has recently, I guess you could call him unlucky or say it was poor finishing depending on what way you look at it, but the time I worry about a striker is not when he's missing chances - it's when he doesn't get any. Fortunately, Pelle is getting them and I'm hoping they will start hitting the net soon.

Overall, I'm actually happier with my side now than I was pre-Costa suspension which I didn't think I would be when I didn't have the time to analyse it properly. Admittedly, there is a bit of fixtures over form thinking in my side, and while the defence is quite expensive I don't actually see where else I could invest the money.

Feel free to tear it apart lads! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Paully D wrote: »
    Right, I've finally settled on the below after getting to spend a bit of time at it tonight. Panic slightly averted now I feel:

7bebbbd7cd2560c260cf5f7c7961c18c.png

Foster should really read Pulis and therefore there's no explanation necessary :pac:

At the back I've gone with Ivanovic over Terry. He obviously offers more going forward and with the spare cash I had that would otherwise be sitting in the bank, I've decided to invest it in the hope of generating more attacking returns on top of the obvious clean sheet potential. I'm taking a punt on Manchester United's kind fixtures more than anything with the acquisition of Jones, and after starting the last 6 or 7 games he appears to be pretty set at the position. Bertrand was very good to me prior to me dumping him as Southampton's fixtures turned for the worse, so I'm happy to get him back in here. van Aanholt and Hutton round out my defence and offer me options, especially with Sunderland's kind home fixtures for the rest of the season.

Hazard and Sanchez speak for themselves, while Eriksen appears to be heading that way, after being central to everything Spurs have done for the last while. The fixtures aren't ideal, but going with Eriksen as Spurs coverage allowed me to go Eriksen/Pelle instead of Silva/Kane which I prefer. Johnson is just a punt on my part. Poyet is starting to feel the heat a little now and Sunderland badly need creativity. He has started to play Johnson centrally behind the strikers in a 5-3-2 aimed at getting the best out of Defoe, so should Sunderland do anything I would hope AJ will be involved. At least he has a striker to put away any chances he creates now! Couple that with the fixtures and the fact Sigurdsson is suspended and Downing's fixtures are horrendous and in that price bracket I think it's worth a shot. Boyd is super-sub as always and hasn't let me down at all this season.

Aguero is always going to be in any team of mine when fit. With no Costa I've decided to get Giroud in ahead of Arsenal's nice run, and I'm taking a shot on Pelle. Advanced stats suggest he should have scored more than he has recently, I guess you could call him unlucky or say it was poor finishing depending on what way you look at it, but the time I worry about a striker is not when he's missing chances - it's when he doesn't get any. Fortunately, Pelle is getting them and I'm hoping they will start hitting the net soon.

Overall, I'm actually happier with my side now than I was pre-Costa suspension which I didn't think I would be when I didn't have the time to analyse it properly. Admittedly, there is a bit of fixtures over form thinking in my side, and while the defence is quite expensive I don't actually see where else I could invest the money.

Feel free to tear it apart lads! :pac:

Solid team, can't find fault in it. No United attacking coverage maybe, but that is far from essential! Although LVG comments today about increasing his ball speed and needing to score more are promising, and not just for his missus. :)

If you had to pick between Eriksen and Johnston over the next three fixtures who would you go for? Tempted to go with Johnston in the short term for the reasons you've outlined above vs Eriksens fixtures, particularly vs Pullis this week.

FHFC wrote: »
    Solid team, can't find fault in it. No United attacking coverage maybe, but that is far from essential! Although LVG comments today about increasing his ball speed and needing to score more are promising, and not just for his missus. :)

If you had to pick between Eriksen and Johnston over the next three fixtures who would you go for? Tempted to go with Johnston in the short term for the reasons you've outlined above vs Eriksens fixtures, particularly vs Pullis this week.

Very tough one IMO. Personally, if it was just a 3 week punt, I'd probably actually still go for Eriksen despite liking Johnson's prospects.

North-London derbies are notoriously full of goals, and while Liverpool have tightened up at the back in recent weeks one must note who they've played - typically low scoring sides. I wouldn't back against Spurs scoring there and if they do, Eriksen is likely to be involved given how he has been playing. On paper West Brom is not too bad a fixture, but as you say - Pulis!

Sunderland need to start proving they can beat fellow relegation threatened sides on their own patch very quickly, and they are very low scoring. Hopefully this new formation springs them into life in terms of goalscoring, but as of now Johnson is a punt for those reasons. Additionally, Eriksen controls set pieces (except penalties when Townsend is around it appears), while Larsson takes many of Johnson's set piece opportunities away (for good reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

North-London derbies are notoriously full of goals, and while Liverpool have tightened up at the back in recent weeks one must note who they've played - typically low scoring sides. I wouldn't back against Spurs scoring there and if they do, Eriksen is likely to be involved given how he has been playing. On paper West Brom is not too bad a fixture, but as you say - Pulis!

Not so much in recent fixtures; Spurs have scored one goal in the last four NLDs.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads where's all the Pelle love coming from? Pretty poor returns recently.

Lads where's all the Bellerin love coming from? Two games?

Pelle's home stats
    GAs 53
    SiBs 45
    SoTs 15
    2 goals and 2 off the woodwork in last 5.

Swansea rank 19th in shots conceded & 18th in shots conceded inside box.

I'm captaining him.

As for Belerin, has been streets ahead of Chambers when he has played RB. Vert attacking. Good fixtures. 4.4 so can include his as one of your cheapies and if he gets dropped or rotated no big harm. I'll be going with Terry, Saints, PVA/Hutton rotation and Belerin for whatever I can get out of him. I'd be amazed if he doesn't start v villa given Chambers played (poorly by all accounts) in the cup game. Villa. Lowest scoring side in English top four leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

This is my current, not confirmed, wildcard team.
    Could I get your opinions please?
    Thinking of playing Terry, Clyne, Bertrand tomorrow...with Foster is that too much Southampton in defence?
    Planning to leave Marmey on the bench, and play 3 upfront.
    Had Sanchez and Costa pre wildcard, don't seem to be able to afford keeping Sanchez on the bench this week.
    Please help!

Very tough one IMO. Personally, if it was just a 3 week punt, I'd probably actually still go for Eriksen despite liking Johnson's prospects.

Sunderland need to start proving they can beat fellow relegation threatened sides on their own patch very quickly, and they are very low scoring. Hopefully this new formation springs them into life in terms of goalscoring, but as of now Johnson is a punt for those reasons. Additionally, Eriksen controls set pieces (except penalties when Townsend is around it appears), while Larsson takes many of Johnson's set piece opportunities away (for good reason).

Cheers. Tempted to go for it for this week at least. Burnley have conceded 9 in their last 4 away games. Would have 3m in the bank to go for Eriksen or whoever next week if need be.

Pretty much my last decision I think. After flirting with Rooney and Mata as adm alternatives I think I'm set on this.

Pullis keepers.
    Terry, Bertrand, Bellerin, PVA, Hutton
    Sanchez Hazard, ADM, AJ or Eriksen, Cork
    Aguero, Giroud, Pelle.
    0.8 or 3.0 in bank.

Or another slant on it now Busts went and mentioned Rambo on the other thread....

AJ and Giroud
    Or
    Ramsey and Defoe

Or another slant on it now Busts went and mentioned Rambo on the other thread....

AJ and Giroud
    Or
    Ramsey and Defoe

Johnson and Giroud for sure out of those two options mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Whats with all the AJ love?

The glaring problem with this team when you see it lined up below is of course whether a Harps man can stomach that amount of candystripes in the side. Uggghh.

337125.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

Foster | Myhill

Terry | Alderweild | Belerin | PVA | Baird

Hazard | Sanchez | ADM | Erikssen | Lucas

Aguero | Pelle | Giroud

Any comments lads??

Whats with all the AJ love?

It's just a calculated punt due to:

1) Poyet putting out a new system of which Johnson is given a central, attacking role behind the strikers in order to find some much needed creativity.

2) Sunderland's upcoming fixtures, which are as good as they get.

3) The better options in that price range being suspended (Sigurdsson) or facing a horrendous run of games (Downing).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Johnson came out of the next 3 games with 2 point hauls in each, but there's also potential for a big haul too. A pure punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

bezuaua wrote: »
    Foster | Myhill

Terry | Alderweild | Belerin | PVA | Baird

Hazard | Sanchez | ADM | Erikssen | Lucas

Aguero | Pelle | Giroud

Any comments lads??

Looks solid on paper.

Anything in the bank to upgrade Giroud or Pellè if needs be (e.g. Costa, Rooney, Sturridge)?

--

Everyone moving away from Puncheon now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've gone with a few calculated gambles, and 14 of my players are at home this week.

Foster | Myhill

Terry | Jones | Wollscheid | PVA | Baird

Di Maria | Hazard | Puncheon | Walters | Boyd

Giroud | Pelle | Defoe

I have £12 million in the bank with a view to bringing in Aguero next week and Sanchez the week after. Risky I know, but I'm happy enough to take the chance.

Any ridiculous mistakes I've made with the above team?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

iroced wrote: »
    Looks solid on paper.

Anything in the bank to upgrade Giroud or Pellè if needs be (e.g. Costa, Rooney, Sturridge)?

--

0 itb! I intended to keep hutton but had to replace him with baird.
    Also had to replace boyd with lucas.

When Costa returns someone will have to make way (ADM perhaps)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

uh, it says my wildcard is available..... but i cant play it. It's greyed out ?

iroced wrote: »
    Looks solid on paper.

--

With Costa out for 3 games, there's no need for cheapie 4th mid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Rikand wrote: »
    uh, it says my wildcard is available..... but i cant play it. It's greyed out ?

Shouldn't be the case once you go into points hit territory

manual_man wrote: »
    Shouldn't be the case once you go into points hit territory

I have taken a -24 :D

The glaring problem with this team when you see it lined up below is of course whether a Harps man can stomach that amount of candystripes in the side. Uggghh.

337125.jpg

A few subtle differences in our teams :)

I have Austin to your Giroud. I have Santi to your Di Maria, Eriksen to your Johnson.

Otherwise, we're similar enough. Looking forward to our cup match tomorrow! :D

I have taken a -24 :D

Have you been drinking? :pac::pac::D

manual_man wrote: »
    Have you been drinking? :pac::pac::D

lol - yes

but hopefully its to do with the price change happening now. a game update has locked it....

will log in and out at 2 am and see if i can do it then :)

Otherwise, thats my season over thanks to a glitch, lol :)

• Advertisement

lol - yes

but hopefully its to do with the price change happening now. a game update has locked it....

will log in and out at 2 am and see if i can do it then :)

Otherwise, thats my season over thanks to a glitch, lol :)

I just logged in there no problem. But I think the price changes go thru in a few mins!

Advertisement