Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin weather!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Really questioning the value of my membership this year, missed so many rounds due to course being closed or otherwise not worth playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Word is my course has been closed from Sunday through to Wednesday (waiting to hear if it's back open today)

It feels like I've had to deal with mud on the ball situations all summer long (regardless of venue).

I remember a summer about 8-10 years ago that rained every single day for 40 days, but every night was clear. But I think courses were still playable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can't think of a single instance of getting the ball to run on the fairway this year. Really has felt like winter golf rules throughout the year.

And no its not because i didn't hit any fairways smartass 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

It was a really sh*t season for golf! and with June been so promising I really taught it was going to be a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

And I thought when we got the brief spell of warm weather this month that it would extend our golf a bit longer - the ball had just stopped picking up mud and then the crap weather came back again. This weekend looks terrible too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Yea the season is over.

For the moment we are still qualifying but if you hit it in the rough at all its just mud ball city!

So i'm gonna sit out a few weeks until qualifying finishes...not worth losing scores over mudballs in wet thick rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soverybored1878

Was actually a complete washout wasn't it? Can't believe it's almost October. I couldn't even get 9 holes in last night. So depressing it's over before it really began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Got back to golf in 2018 and this has been the shortest golf season since returning. My home course has done extensive drainage and some new greens over the last 3-4 years but last weekend and this weekend have been non counting with placing everywhere. And coincided with me hitting some form. Had 40pts last weekend and no cut which is frustrating. Has been a woeful summer of weather, many jobs not completed around the house and garden either due to it.

Heading out in the morning for another mud fest just to get a few hours fresh air with a buddy. Bit annoying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Any links courses do a winter series or opens or might have to revert to virtual golf, summer has been brutal and the thoughts of playing in my mud bath of a course for the next few months is grim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Arklow are doing an open on Fridays through the winter. Too bad it isnt a weekend but will still be popular Id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Spoke on the blower to Pat Ruddy a couple of weeks back. They'll be doing Opens in The European from November to March. likely days are Sundays and Wednesdays and green fee looking like €100. None of that was set in stone yet though.

Pretty sure Seapoint do Opens every Tuesday through the winter for €45

Not links but Carton Monty doing Qualifying Opens thru the Winter every Friday for €55. played it middle of last winter and it was like a links, incredible condition and no dirt on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is that a jump for The European? They used to run a winter comp for around 50-60 didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Them days are long gone @spacecoyote it was €80 last year. Hard to justify €100 in winter even though its my favourite course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€100 off-peak/Winter/whatever does appear to be taking the value and feel good out of it, seems like a "we don't want visitors" scenario.

The inflationary pricing of Golf in Ireland the last 18months bears no resemblance to cost increases

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I reckon we had 3 months of summer golf and the rest preferred lies. Depressing really and no facilities local to me for simulator options.

its plugged lies and heavy ground for me until next April

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AlanWatts

Trying to plan trip to midlands area, is anything in good condition up there? Heritage? Carton Monty? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Anything that is parkland is going to remain a swamp if the recent weather continues. High chance of most Midland courses being shut.

You'll be looking for a VERY well-drained parkland (searching for a unicorn 😃). Esker Hills for me is probably the only one most likely to be playable in the midlands but it will still be quite soft, plus its a serious trek with the hills and undulations. Different story in the wet and lugging layers etc.

Not sure of Carton Monty (it's not Midlands tbh) but I've heard that it does drain well and remains playable. The Heritage was a bog when I played a scratch cup in August so I'd have little hope for its condition today.

Tbh, I'd recommend picking a links course on the coast and hoping the weather plays ball. It's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Millicent I think it is that claim they are the driest parkland course in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yeah, supposed to be over a gravel pit. I remember getting out there years ago when other courses were closed. Lovely course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

There's a new indoor golf facility that's opened up in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I picked a good year to pack in the membership. Still played a few opens over the summer but only when the weather was somewhat descent. Most courses will be a slugfest until April.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I played the Monty at Carton today. Tee boxes and greens holding up well. Fairways and surroundings are very soft. Parts of the rough are saturated; if you miss on the wrong side on certain holes, you're very likely to lose your ball, particularly down the right of the 2nd hole which may as well be a water hazard. Theyre trying to maintain counting comps for their Friday open but with the amount of mudballs the rough produces, assuming you manage to find a wayward shot, it's a bit of a cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

West Cork, lovely scenery but sparse enough on golf courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I've been over privileged/blessed the last number of years where I've never had to really worry about winter golf. I lived in Oz for 10 years and then when I moved back home, I spent almost 7 years working for a company that had me down in Spain and Portugal a lot throughout the year, so come winter the clubs came with me on most work trips! Now unfortunately with more remote access and connections becoming more and more popular, work decided at the start of the year to pull the plug on most of my overseas jaunts, so I'm stuck home in Dublin for the winter 🤣

I've had 6 outing in the last 8/9 weeks at various clubs and it’s safe to say, I think I'm done until at least April. I'd consider myself a decent club golfer, I'm currently off 6.1, but I have been as low as 2 when I lived in Australia a few years ago. However, for the life of me I can't get anything close to a score in these conditions. It’s like a completely different game, you just can't trust any lie, even with placing as the ground can be so soft underneath in certain areas that even a slight miss hit can lead to a club head full of turf and with a nasty snap hook right, especially with any mid/long irons. As for the game inside 50 yards, a nightmare, everything must be lofted as there is just no run or bounce anywhere with the ground so soft, trying to commit to half swings with wedges from 50 yards in soft conditions is not for the faint hearted! The greens then naturally are more unpredictable then ever…

Is it just me or do people actually score well in these conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

The soft conditions (can) improve your ball striking. You have to make clean contact or else the club with dig into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

With soft bumpy greens unless your sticking it close and ramming the putts there’s not much chance unless your in luck on the day. I’d rather have slow greens in the winter so you can hammer it through the bobbles

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

For me, scoring improves due to placing. Takes any lie randomness out of it. Ball the turf, that's the key. It arguably makes you a better ball striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm a "sunshine" golfer myself and I found it desperately difficult in the short game this winter so far.

Bunkers are fine, I just keep a square face on my LW and chop into the heavy packed sand for the most part. However my pitching and chipping technique was based on firm turf. I'd enter the turf slightly behind the ball as my previous lessons showed me to use the bounce against the turf.

For winter I've found I can't used my SW or LW for the most part. That technique I was using ends up with Chili dips/chunks and is very disheartening. Watched Dan Grieve's YouTube video on winter adjustments recently. It's been a huge help. I started hitting down on my pitches and chips more often, with much better results as I catch ball first.

I've also started to use my 9i, PW and GW for most greenside chips. This has proved to be very forgiving and I will actually putt more often than normal. The greens are slow and it's hard to get caught out.

My putting is up/down as normal which I don't mind. However my irons have been as good as ever and anything catching the green will stick. If I can progress with the adjustments in my short game, I'll score well in the few comps ahead.

YouTube link for anyone curious on winter short game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Cheers Coill, these are the exact shots that are killing me in the soft ground. Like yourself, I use the bounce against the turf when hitting pitch shots from inside 50 yards. A complete non runner currently, I can get over the no run plugged ball off the tee, or the odd tugged,low struck long iron that gets double punished in these conditions, but the game inside 50 is where the scoring is at and at the moment I'm getting crucified. I'm going to just use the practice area the next few weekends and work on some of these techniques. Maybe there's is something to be salvaged playing in these conditions!!!

Advertisement