Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britian's poorest going hungry: Are we heading the same way?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well you don't have to be emaciated dying of starvation to be going hungry. Welfare is really low in the UK, I was shocked when I arrived in Dublin from Liverpool and found out how high the dole was. Of course food here is more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Council in Kensington & Chelsea wanted to move some of their claimants on housing benefits. Something Limerick city have been known to do in the past

But it wasn't down the road, it was to Nottingham! It'd be like Dublin city council telling their tenants and those on their list, sorry nothing here now shift off to Waterford

This is happening all over London. There is a housing benefits cap and most properties in RBKC (and much of the central London boroughs) are far too expensive.

This isn't about moving council tenants out, its about people that are on housing benefit payments and would probably never have any prospect of being able to afford to pay market rent in the borough.
    It seems a bit draconian, but many ordinary working people who are working in central London boroughs are having to do long commutes every day to get to and from work, so it does free up the market somewhat for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It wouldd imagine that ignorance, addiction and neglect would account for most of the food poverty in Ireland.

I would imagine ignorance accounts for a large amounts of views like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ireland's certainly not as bad as Britain. Schools like Eton serve to widen the gap between rich and poor in Britain. We have no comparable schools here.

We have The Leinster Schools Rugby instead.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Lots of vested interested pushing the food poverty lie. The real statistics tell a different story. Food has not even doubled in price the past 30 years whilst incones have increased over five fold.

Food price is not a measure of one's calorific intake.

• Advertisement

Because their parents are negligent

Any facts to back up the prejudice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Food price is not a measure of one's calorific intake.

We'll then people should stop putting the blame on money. It's not the problem. People are the problem.

Food is twice as affordable for somebody on the dole now compared to 1998 and I don't remember it being an issue back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Lots of vested interested pushing the food poverty lie. The real statistics tell a different story. Food has not even doubled in price the past 30 years whilst incones have increased over five fold.

Again link to these "Real Statistics" or gtfo.
    And along with the increase in incones, rent, electricity, gas, petrol, coal, school fees/requests, cars and lets not forget Housing has also gone up and some of them have gone up faster that the incones of most.
    We'll then people should stop putting the blame on money. It's not the problem. People are the problem.

Food is twice as affordable for somebody on the dole now compared to 1998 and I don't remember it being an issue back then.
    Link on this info please or is this only your personal thoughts/ramblings.

garp wrote: »
    Again link to these "Real Statistics" or gtfo.
    And along with the increase in incones, rent, electricity, gas, petrol, coal, school fees/requests, cars and lets not forget Housing has also gone up and some of them have gone up faster that the incones of most.

Link on this info please or is this only your personal thoughts/ramblings.

CSO.ie

CSO.ie

Are you trying to be a fool.

We have done this before. That is not a link. That is not a web site address. At best its half of an address.

Link up your references and by this I mean the page link not the whole library which can contain a lot of fiction, love story's and fantasy.

For an individual who says that they have published many academic papers and you know how to reference, you seem not to be able grasp this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=93601578

• Advertisement

Are you trying to be a fool.

We have done this before. That is not a link. That is not a web site address. At best its half of an address.

Link up your references and by this I mean the page link not the whole library which can contain a lot of fiction, love story's and fantasy.

For an individual who says that they have published many academic papers and you know how to reference, you seem not to be able grasp this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=93601578

Do you know what a DNS is? CSO.ie is valid. It is the central statistics office's site. I'm referencing their data on prices and incones. It's easily found on their site. You have to generate a query which is not permanently linkable. Hope you understood some of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

It's true, I've discovered the statistical research institute where Beaner1 works. You'll see him here: www.google.com

google employees get free food

CSO.ie is a valid address.
    I've publish many academic papers and I know how to reference.
    Do you know what a DNS is? CSO.ie is valid. It is the central statistics office's site. I'm referencing their data on prices and incones. It's easily found on their site. You have to generate a query which is not permanently linkable. Hope you understood some of this.

I understand bullsh*$ and you are throwing it about.

Bellow is a link from CSO.IE re Cattle Price per Head Statistics

http://www.cso.ie/multiquicktables/quickTables.aspx?id=ajm01

So you can link from the site.

Another one in relation how we are importing far more than we were exporting, and families had to spend a high proportion of their income on food.
    There is only 168 pages in this document. I am sure you will find the right area in relation to the info I allude to
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/otherreleases/thatwasthenthisisnow.pdf

Here is one on fuel poverty in Ireland
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/otherreleases/2003/progress/background2003.pdf Only 71 pages here go fish.

Survey on Income and Living Conditions
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/silc/2011/silc_2011.pdf

and all linked from the cso.ie

You seem familiar enough with the site so you should be able to verify my claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The term food poverty often leads to a stereotype when it comes to food and weight etc. There are a worryingly high amount of people in Ireland who are obese and not all of them are of a lower social/economic class and not all of them got to where they are by eating mass-produced rubbish in Dealz. I work with a woman who earns 70k a year, and is at least 25 stone. I dont know her outside life but from what i see at work she devours sausage rolls, fatty sandwiches, chips, chocolate etc etc. Should we also intervene when it comes to obese people?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

An opinion is not prejudice. Feel free to put me on ignore if I offend you.
    Welfare is generous, benefits are generous, food has not been cheaper for decades - if you're kids are going to school without breakfast, you're doing something wrong - something so seriously wrong it amounts to child neglect in ny book.

You seem familiar enough with the site so you should be able to verify my claims.

All you are doing is spouting bull$hit. You wont/cant link to any thing that you are claiming because you know you are wrong. You are a fraud.

CSO.ie

I would consider it an insult to my intelligence to continue this conversation with you.

All you are doing is spouting bull$hit. You wont/cant link to any thing that you are claiming because you know you are wrong. You are a fraud.

I put the links up months ago. I can't be bothered making graphs again but everyone is free to verify my claims.
    Try and disprove me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I would consider it an insult to my intelligence to continue this conversation with you.

Insult to your intelligence? Its Boards.ie on a Monday, not the Seanad. Get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

Because their parents are negligent
    Can you explain how a child can go to school hungry in a country with extremely generous welfare system? Serious question because I genuinely don't understand how it can happen without some level of parental choice/poor decision-making.

Food for your children should be an extremely high priority for any parent (pretty much the number one priority unless there are life-saving medications which the state is somehow not providing). So giving food first dibs on any household income, how can a child go hungry to school?

That English MP who got raked over the coals a few weeks ago (for suggesting that people are going hungry/are malnourished because they don't know about nutrition or how to cook) claimed she could make porridge for 4p (I think she treated a few journalists to this). The 4p porridge was made with water which doesn't sound great but making it with full fat milk and some sugar probably wouldn't push the cost over 20c.

If you have a child, you owe it to them to ensure their health and well-being - and that includes educating yourself on how best to feed them. Anything else is veering into neglect. It might not be overt 'hey I'm going to buy fags instead of good food for my kids' but it is neglect nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

It is extremely cheap to healthily feed a family.

source?

source?

CSO.ie
    Aldi.ie

Everyone is saying the parents are neglecting their kids. Therefore the rise in food poverty must be connected with an increase in negligent parents. Is there any evidence to back this up?

For the love of god that's not how you reference.

An opinion is not prejudice. Feel free to put me on ignore if I offend you.
    Welfare is generous, benefits are generous, food has not been cheaper for decades - if you're kids are going to school without breakfast, you're doing something wrong - something so seriously wrong it amounts to child neglect in ny book.

It is when you provide an opinion which demeans a group of people without giving evidence.

I put the links up months ago. I can't be bothered making graphs again but everyone is free to verify my claims.
    Try and disprove me.

Try and disprove me not anything close to scientific method.

Insult to your intelligence? Its Boards.ie on a Monday, not the Seanad. Get over yourself.

Yea still I expect at least the bare minimum of argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

How come the rate of morbid obesity is higher in the poorer working class areas if the ability to buy food is the problem?

• Advertisement

How come the rate of morbid obesity is higher in the poorer working class areas if the ability to buy food is the problem?

Again you're confusing calorific intake with nutritional quality.

Advertisement