Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

It just disappeared. It was there a good half hour after I'd listened to it. Then went. Hmmmmm

I've had that stupid bug on every Samsung phone I've owned. No idea why it won't swipe away. Hold down on the notification, then go to app manager, then force close the app to make it disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I bought the S6 in CPW yesterday. I was looking for sim free but the guy told me a tesco sim would work in a prepay from three. Got it home and its locked. Is there any easy cheap way of getting this beast unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I bought the S6 in CPW yesterday. I was looking for sim free but the guy told me a tesco sim would work in a prepay from three. Got it home and its locked. Is there any easy cheap way of getting this beast unlocked?
    Did you try sim-unlock? Got my M9 unlocked on there for a tenner.

http://sim-unlock.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Davexirl wrote: »
    I'm on a sim only plan and want the new S6, I headed into Meteor on Grafton street around 2pm yesterday, place was dead. I asked for an S6 on prepay they said they won't sell it on Pre Pay for at least 2 weeks. I asked how many have they sold so far, one S6 all day. I said I have €690 here and you won't sell me the phone. I know the whole idea is they want to sign people up to two year contracts but it's ridiculous turning me away and they can't even shift any of the stock they have. Tells me their pricing is all wrong.

I didn't think they would refuse to sell it to you, its not like they were running out of stock.

He's right about one thing, their pricing is wrong. Look at their bill pay price! Silly prices altogether compared to most of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Does anyone else think the sound quality from the headphones is amazing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

If anyone wants to sell the wireless charger they got with the Edge let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Did anyone get this meteor? Could they check if its unlocked? Any phone ive bought from them on launch has been unlocked.

For anyone else in the same position as me, the price for an eMobile 24 month upgrade on the Unlimited plan is €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

dorgasm wrote: »
    For anyone else in the same position as me, the price for an eMobile 24 month upgrade on the Unlimited plan is €300.

Gonna get the edge on that plan this week. Best deal out there I think.

s15r330 wrote: »
    Gonna get the edge on that plan this week. Best deal out there I think.

Yea I think I'm going to stick with eMobile too. Tesco mobile have some pretty tempting prices too though. The lack of 4G is enough to put me off all the same

http://www.tescomobile.ie/new-samsung-galaxy.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Anybody boycotted touch wiz altogether and just uses nova launcher? If so , how's the performance?

I currently own a nexus 5 and have been using nova for the past year or so. I've generally avoided Samsung in the past because of touch wiz but now that I use nova I'm tempted by the switch.

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Anybody boycotted touch wiz altogether and just uses nova launcher? If so , how's the performance?

I currently own a nexus 5 and have been using nova for the past year or so. I've generally avoided Samsung in the past because of touch wiz but now that I use nova I'm tempted by the switch.

Can't speak for the S6 yet but Nova has always been the first thing I put on my phone. Turning all animations to 'Faster than light' makes a big difference. I'm interested to see how much Touchwiz has improved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

dorgasm wrote: »
    Can't speak for the S6 yet but Nova has always been the first thing I put on my phone. Turning all animations to 'Faster than light' makes a big difference. I'm interested to see how much Touchwiz has improved though.

Coming from sense 6 it is a nightmare, nova on it now and no issues so far

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

Best phone I’ve ever had. I got the black 32Gb from Tescomobile yesterday. It cost €329.99 for a 24 month contract at €30 a month 500 minutes/500 texts/15Gb data. Must admit I was a little frightened when they put my Sim Card in the chopper to cut it down to Nano Sim Card size but everything worked perfectly. They said 4G would be available later this year but it would probably cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Rigel wrote: »
    Best phone I’ve ever had. I got the black 32Gb from Tescomobile yesterday. It cost €329.99 for a 24 month contract at €30 a month 500 minutes/500 texts/15Gb data. Must admit I was a little frightened when they put my Sim Card in the chopper to cut it down to Nano Sim Card size but everything worked perfectly. They said 4G would be available later this year but it would probably cost more.

Not even sure if I wan a new phone yet but was tempted with that same deal. No 4G put me off. If they release it later in the year won't you be locked into this contract or did they say it can be bought as an add on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

had a play around with the S6 edge and it's a beautiful phone but the price of it is absolutely outrageous on a grand scale and id have to question the sanity of anyone willing to pay in excess of €900.

I am instead going to purchase this beauty, a third of the price and you'll be hard pushed to get a better smartphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suYA6gqei4

edit - i just pre ordered that 4GB RAM ASUS Zen Fone 2 for an amazing price, no other smartphone can touch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Opinions on the edge vs non-edge S6? The edge looks nice but I can't see a reason to pay more for it over the regular (some reviews are saying skip it also). I'm leaning towards the regular S6 - Three have the 32GB for €479 with a 12 month €25/month contract which suits me perfectly. Whereas the edge is only 64GB and MUCH more expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Called in to Carphone Warehouse this afternoon to check out the Edge but they hadn't received any stock yet. They said it'll be September when they'll be stocking the 32GB Edge. :confused:

I've had a quick look at the pricing for the standard S6 since and Tesco Mobile looks to be the best deal going. €329 + €30/mth for 24 mths. 500 any network SMS, 500 any network minutes, 15GB data.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

Been looking forward to leaving the Apple universe and getting my first ever Android phone since early February. I picked the flat S6 64g sometime back but the fact it wasn't available on launch day and lack of release date info is really disappointing.

At this rate I'm beginning to feel like I'll be able to buy the iPhone 6s before Samsung get their backsides in gear.

Anybody have any inside info on when the storage variants will become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Had a play around with both in CPW earlier. Before seeing them I had it in my mind that the edge was a gimmick that takes away screen real estate. I'm still of the same opinion but it was still a stunning device to hold and use. I wouldn't pay the premium for one but if they were the same price I'd be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Snapchat isn't playing videos very well, anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i got mine on Friday,

Dont get me wrong, its a good phone, quick, light, nice screen etc....

But you know what, its no better than my note 3. Ok, the screen is slightly better, it loads that little bit quicker. But there's nothing ground breaking in it.

Its certainly not like the first time you picked up an iphone after having a 3210.

I think the phones cant get much better now. They've pretty much plateau'd now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

First full day of it. 3 negatives compared to my S4:

- I find it very slippery (solvable with a case)
    - Seems to be a bit more contact with the edges when I'm using it one handed lying down and stuff gets pressed in error (solved by sitting up and not being a lazy git)
    - It's worse by some margin at picking up the wifi signal in my house

Pretty minor stuff with the exception of the wifi range which is rather annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I've also noticed it can't stay connected to my wifi and constantly switches back to my data connection. Not really much of an issue since I have unlimited data but would prefer to use wifi when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

How is everyone finding the battery? How long does it last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Squaredude wrote: »
    I've also noticed it can't stay connected to my wifi and constantly switches back to my data connection. Not really much of an issue since I have unlimited data but would prefer to use wifi when I can.

Is it switching back to data when the screen is turned off?

Have a look in advanced wifi settings and make sure keep WiFi on during sleep is set to always.

Is it switching back to data when the screen is turned off?

Have a look in advanced wifi settings and make sure keep WiFi on during sleep is set to always.

It is a feature on the phone to save battery. You can have it on constantly if you like.

Davexirl wrote: »
    How is everyone finding the battery? How long does it last?

Yesterday was the first real test. Unplugged from the charger at 9am. Made no calls, plenty of texts, fb, Twitter and internet browsing. Checked before I plugged the phone in to charge overnight at 1am and the battery was 51%. This may drop down a bit during the week when I will be using it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Spent a bit of time playing with the flat S6 and S6 Edge in store today. I found them very underwhelming to be honest. Still doesnt have that "premium" feel to the chassis in my opinion, compared to my aging M7 anyway. The screen is excellent but TouchWiz still isn't to my liking.

Its a grand phone and all but I don't think it's the big game changer folks make it out to be. If I was to pick any Samsung phone right now it'd probably be the Note 4. Though to be honest I'm looking to upgrade from my M7 and none of the current crop of smartphones are really all that appealing to me. I'll wait to see the G4 and Xperia Z4 before making any decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Snapchat isn't playing videos very well, anyone know how to fix this?

Go to about phone in settings, click on the build number 7 times to unlock developer settings ,go back then and developer settings should be available, disable nuplayer in there and problem solved! Sounds odd but found it last night and it worked

Advertisement