Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos 42" led TV €299

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Picked one up at the weekend but hdmi 2 port isn't working. It's enabled and I've tried different leads and devices ect but it throws up no signal anyone else have the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Anyone know where I might find a compatible wifi dongle for it online?
    Hellywelly wrote: »
    I kept the Y model. But didn't get the wifi dongle & none available now.
    Would chromecast work instead?

I am brutal with technology so apologies if this an exceptionally dumb questi on. Thanks!
    Dongles are out of stock everywhere. If you had a wifi extender which you cud connect a Ethernet cable to, would that work. Or as someone mentioned above using chrome cast??
    Also the price is showing at 299.99 on the deals section but is 309 when u go to reserve and buy. So does anyone have a reservation number for dundrum with the old price
    tazwaz wrote: »
    I have one reserved in wwaterford for tomor but they're all sold out of the reduced price dongles. Any idea where I'll get one a reasonable priced one please?
    dunworth1 wrote: »

I got what Dunorth1 recommended, have no tv to try them on yet as I got the y instead of the x at the weekend, waiting on new stock on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

Anyone know where I might find a compatible wifi dongle for it online?

This might work

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-USB-Wi-Fi-Dongle-Smart-Black/dp/B00HVD1QUW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

5500 wrote: »
    Picked one up at the weekend but hdmi 2 port isn't working. It's enabled and I've tried different leads and devices ect but it throws up no signal anyone else have the same problem
    I seem to be having the same issue with both hdmi ports

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Ordered powerline adapters in anticipation of buying this TV but as per my previous post, could not find a netflix model.

Might be useful to someone if they want to purchase them for cost before I return to Amazon.

D15 area. Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005KTM2G6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

collected hitachi led 42 smart from liffey valley for my daughter easy to set up its the y model but it has netflix the remote is rubbish u have to hit the buttons to make them respond without the wifi dongle its useless for wifi its cheap for the money but if want something better go for the lg smart or samsung

massy086 wrote: »
    I seem to be having the same issue with both hdmi ports

I'm going to bring my own back as I've spent ages at it and cant find a solution, connected online and tried a software update but none are available, as well as resetting the TV ect.

Can anyone else that may have picked one up confirm if both their HDMI ports are working ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

I'm going to bring my own back as I've spent ages at it and cant find a solution, connected online and tried a software update but none are available, as well as resetting the TV ect.

Can anyone else that may have picked one up confirm if both their HDMI ports are working ok?

Are you sure they are good cables?might be a finicky set?

Tried 3 different cables on the second port, first port is fine with all of them but the second just shows no signal. Theres an option to switch ports on and off and both are obviously on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

Tried 3 different cables on the second port, first port is fine with all of them but the second just shows no signal. Theres an option to switch ports on and off and both are obviously on too.

If one works and not the other, somethings faulty. There are some sets ive heard that the second port is a different standard, but thats hearsay at this moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't know why anybody would compromise on quality when it comes to products like TVs. I would never buy this piece of $hit, no matter how cheap it was. I'd rather pay the extra 200 quid and get a quality brand like Sony or Samsung that i'll have no issue with and get far better enjoyment out of.

This is in no way a bargain, its just cheap vastly inferior equipment at a cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭cletus

grenache wrote: »
    I don't know why anybody would compromise on quality when it comes to products like TVs. I would never buy this piece of $hit, no matter how cheap it was. I'd rather pay the extra 200 quid and get a quality brand like Sony or Samsung that i'll have no issue with and get far better enjoyment out of.

This is in no way a bargain, its just cheap vastly inferior equipment at a cheap price.

Jaysus, must be grand to have money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

cletus wrote: »
    Jaysus, must be grand to have money

To be fair, given that most people would hope to get years out of a TV, if at all possible these TV's are best avoided when an extra €100 would get you a much better TV. They're more likely to develop faults, in the short term and the long term.

I've owned two Vestel TV's, one developed a HDMI problem after a few days, the other stopped working after two weeks.

Maybe just bad luck, but I've stopped seeing these TV's as bargains and more gambles.

To be fair, given that most people would hope to get years out of a TV, if at all possible these TV's are best avoided when an extra €100 would get you a much better TV. They're more likely to develop faults, in the short term and the long term.

I've owned two Vestel TV's, one developed a HDMI problem after a few days, the other stopped working after two weeks.

Maybe just bad luck, but I've stopped seeing these TV's as bargains and more gambles.

And I presume as they were both inside warranty you brought them back for replacement or refund.

My comment above was in relation to the fact that the poster was suggesting adding 2/3 of the original cost in order to get a different tv. For many people that w would be a substantial amount of money, and it would remove the purchase from "bargain"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Collected mine in Tallaght just there. It was the 'Y' model, not the 'X' model so I returned it. The lady wasn't very helpful in trying to see if there were any more 'X' models lying about, so I just ended up getting a refund. They had no bother charging the €299 as per reservation email though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I don't think the x model exists in Irish stores.
    The y model does have Netflix apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

I had gotten and returned the y model, and was waiting for the x model to arrive this weekend but my telly died today so i bought this one from a local independent store for €390. From what he was saying it seems better value but I'm not 100% sure. It's working grand anyway :-)

http://www.soundstore.ie/mobile/product/walker-wp4014t2sm-40-smart-wifi-led-with-satellite-tuner/7057/2220.0.3?&

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

cletus wrote: »
    And I presume as they were both inside warranty you brought them back for replacement or refund.

My comment above was in relation to the fact that the poster was suggesting adding 2/3 of the original cost in order to get a different tv. For many people that w would be a substantial amount of money, and it would remove the purchase from "bargain"

While the tone of his argument might be off, this imo is very much a gamble, as much as a bargain. Considering the hdmi problems noted here in a small sample size, and the fact you need to buy an external dongle @60€; rrp extra, and poor sound quality means that for €370 I'd want a little more to be jumping about it being a bargain.

While the tone of his argument might be off, this imo is very much a gamble, as much as a bargain. Considering the hdmi problems noted here in a small sample size, and the fact you need to buy an external dongle @60€; rrp extra, and poor sound quality means that for €370 I'd want a little more to be jumping about it being a bargain.

The tv may or may not be a bargain, however for many people "for €200 more" just isn't an option, especially when that's a substantial chunk of the original money. If we were talking about €200 more on a €5000 purchase fair enough, but €200 on a €300 purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

the walker tv is better with the two year guarantee both tvs are made by the same factory with a different badge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

I have a reservation code at €299 if anyone wants it for Cork Mahon. Cab be collected until 05Jan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

grenache wrote: »

These are cheap and cheerful.

The panel is more important than the brand on the box

no one expects the panel to have the same contrast as a better one. You're going to be using external speakers anyway and most people will be using it as a monitor for their Satellite/cable box anyway.

It would be nice if modern electronics had to list the OEM and the OEM for the Panel as well as the brand/designer.

Most if not all of the big brands have given us shoddy products over the years with capacitor plague, dodgy panels on laptops, battery recalls etc. and not just in the budget ranges.

Most are made in the same Chinese factories. IIRC Vestel are Turkish so probably lower eco/human rights footprint too.

In general too many brands have traded on their names in the past the current generation of marketing / decision makers don't seem to understand this. Over 60 million cars have been recalled in the US this year. One company advertises as the best built cars in the world presumably as damage limitation.

My views on smart TV's dongles is just buy a chromecast / android / now tv / amazon fire stick instead.
    they are cheaper , better supported, lower security risk and way better remote control interface. There's no way I'd use a live account or password with a smart TV

BTW Irish recalls here - you can play spot the brand at home.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/product-recalls

/RANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just because even major brand name manufacturers have recalls doesn't offset the fact that this a cheap, poor quality TV relatively speaking.

No-one's saying the visual quality is sub-par; quite often cheap TV's have the same panels as their more expensive counterparts. That is common knowledge. However, there's a lot more to a TV than the panel, and these TV's for the most part are terrible quality in every other aspect.

The odds are - and they're odds, not a guarantee - is that this TV is twice as likely to break down as a decent brand TV.

It doesn't mean it's not a good price. Doesn't mean it might not last years. But when we consider that most people might watch or use a TV a few hours a day, and might reasonably expect it to last several years, you're talking about a few thousand hours usage, it's not a bad argument to make that you save the extra 1 or 200 to get a decent set in the long run.

I do echo the above poster though, it's not really a bargain when you factor it all in. More just 'you get what you pay for'. Already several people on this forum with issues with the TV after just buying it. I bought 2 before thinking that because I had a proper sound system and all that I was dependent on was the panel - which was perfect - it'd be fine for me....it wasn't. Both faulty within weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just because even major brand name manufacturers have recalls doesn't offset the fact that this a cheap, poor quality TV relatively speaking.
    You say its cheap and I think everyone knows why that is...the price :) But you also state that its poor quality. Can you give us the reasons for this statement please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The odds are - and they're odds, not a guarantee - is that this TV is twice as likely to break down as a decent brand TV.

sorry but that's nonsense
    any mass produced item will have a number of faulty products
    just because some people here bought some with problems
    does not mean that all the tv is more likely to develop a fault then a sony tv

Marketing is a powerful thing these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Price increase again now €329.99

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Price increase again now €329.99

Curries have this - 100Hz, Panasonic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057352222

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have one reserved in Omni if anybody wants the code. It's for €299 but has to be collected by tomorrow (2nd Jan).
    I ended up buying a 55" in Power City so no longer needed.

Brought mine back to argos liffey valley the girl said there had already been 3 returned yesterday with faults when I mentioned the hdmi problem.

She got the manager over to show another one coming back so the problems may be a bit more wide spread than expected with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Brought mine back to argos liffey valley the girl said there had already been 3 returned yesterday with faults when I mentioned the hdmi problem.

She got the manager over to show another one coming back so the problems may be a bit more wide spread than expected with them

could be a bad batch

Advertisement