Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos 42" led TV €299

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

These are cheap and cheerful.

The panel is more important than the brand on the box

no one expects the panel to have the same contrast as a better one. You're going to be using external speakers anyway and most people will be using it as a monitor for their Satellite/cable box anyway.

It would be nice if modern electronics had to list the OEM and the OEM for the Panel as well as the brand/designer.

Most if not all of the big brands have given us shoddy products over the years with capacitor plague, dodgy panels on laptops, battery recalls etc. and not just in the budget ranges.

Most are made in the same Chinese factories. IIRC Vestel are Turkish so probably lower eco/human rights footprint too.

In general too many brands have traded on their names in the past the current generation of marketing / decision makers don't seem to understand this. Over 60 million cars have been recalled in the US this year. One company advertises as the best built cars in the world presumably as damage limitation.

My views on smart TV's dongles is just buy a chromecast / android / now tv / amazon fire stick instead.
    they are cheaper , better supported, lower security risk and way better remote control interface. There's no way I'd use a live account or password with a smart TV

BTW Irish recalls here - you can play spot the brand at home.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/product-recalls

/RANT

It doesn't really matter where the TV is made. It's who designed the TV and quality control that matters. Better brands are usually in house designed and quality control is carried out by the said brands. They select what components go into their TV's and how the tv is made.

There is a big difference between this and Tv brands who just get vestel to stick their badge on a vestel made and designed product. These TV's are vastly inferior to the better brands in my experience. They are very poorly and cheaply made imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Got the Hitachi 42" today, No problems so far, Both HDMI ports work, Has Netflix and found all the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Went up north and got an LG 42 inch tv for the money at Tesco Direct. Seemed to be much better bargains up there.

They had the Blaupunkt 40" for 179 pounds. Tesco here has the same TV for 299euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Went up north and got an LG 42 inch tv for the money at Tesco Direct. Seemed to be much better bargains up there.

They had the Blaupunkt 40" for 179 pounds. Tesco here has the same TV for 299euro.

Are both HD ready or full HD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jacob2 wrote: »
    the walker tv is better with the two year guarantee both tvs are made by the same factory with a different badge

Nope- the Walker (and the Grundig, and the Bush and a few others) are made by Beko in Turkey. The Hitachi (and JVC, and World and a few others- are made by Orion (the second largest OEM TV manufacturer in the world)- at a variety of locations- but the factory serving the EU is in Poland (their main factory is in Thailand).

It uses most of the same components as the JVC- but would be around 2 generations older than current JVC models.

If purchased in Ireland- it has the standard 2 year warranty- the same as a Walker- the 1 year warranty only applies to the UK (our consumer protection law is significantly better than theirs!).

Its a very good value tv- however the deal breaker for me is the fact that its only 50Hz- so fast gameplay (on a playstation) or sports- would have a high probability of bluring.

Good value set though.

• Advertisement

Nope- the Walker (and the Grundig, and the Bush and a few others) are made by Beko in Turkey. The Hitachi (and JVC, and World and a few others- are made by Orion (the second largest OEM TV manufacturer in the world)- at a variety of locations- but the factory serving the EU is in Poland (their main factory is in Thailand).

It uses most of the same components as the JVC- but would be around 2 generations older than current JVC models.

If purchased in Ireland- it has the standard 2 year warranty- the same as a Walker- the 1 year warranty only applies to the UK (our consumer protection law is significantly better than theirs!).

Its a very good value tv- however the deal breaker for me is the fact that its only 50Hz- so fast gameplay (on a playstation) or sports- would have a high probability of bluring.

Good value set though.
    Vestel makes all those TV's including Hitachi and JVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just set up my 42HYT42U. Have HDMI 1 & 2 working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

washman3 wrote: »
    Are both HD ready or full HD

Both Full HD . Not smart though. I guess Now TV or chromecast are a decent alternative.

Never had a TV like this before. Big step up from the 32" old hd ready toshiba I had.

I got a fairly decent LG soundbar and sub as well. Wife thinks it came with it. :pac:

Looks and sounds the business .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Vestel makes all those TV's including Hitachi and JVC.

I wonder if they're just re-badging certain models- as Hitachi are definitely still large scale manufacturers (albeit at the budget end)- they do most of the OEM own brand stuff for Costco, Walmart, Target etc in the US. They were also one of the three Japanese companies (including Sony) who pooled their LCD production plants together back in 2012- and recently expanded their massive LCD TV plant in Thailand.

They're not out of the market- like Sony- but I suspect a rebadging exercise may be happening here.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Have a reservation code for this for dundrum. It's to be collected by tomorrow if anyone wants it. Have the email that says €299 can forward that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

Code available for Cork Mahon for €299 if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Code available for Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

in currys pc world this mornining they are doing a panasonic 39 led for 299 euro menu.. remote are the same as hitach with panasonic name on it it seems even panasonic tvs are made in turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

have a code for the Hitachi in Dun laoire argus. expires tomorrow if anyone wants it. its ordered at the 309 price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭littlevillage

lads,

Are "Smart" TV's a rip off ?

Thoughts on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93709719#post93709719

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lads,

Thoughts on this thread.

Just buy a standard TV and spend the money you saved on an Android TV Box.I have a smart tv and honestly never use the smart features,the Android box connected to it gets all the use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭littlevillage

zerks wrote: »
    Just buy a standard TV and spend the money you saved on an Android TV Box.I have a smart tv and honestly never use the smart features,the Android box connected to it gets all the use.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I purchased a Chromecast there recently (Which I think is similar to an Android TV box) ... basically allows you to broadcast what's on your laptop, straight to the TV via WI-FI... its only mighty !! :-)

I suspected that I would be buying a Smart TV ...and not using the 'Smart' features.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That is exactly what I was thinking. I purchased a Chromecast there recently (Which I think is similar to an Android TV box) ... basically allows you to broadcast what's on your laptop, straight to the TV via WI-FI... its only mighty !! :-)

I suspected that I would be buying a Smart TV ...and not using the 'Smart' features.

Anyone I know with a smart tv just uses it for Netflix,I have stuff on my Android box (Chromecast can do similar-google is your friend;)) that leaves Netflix in the ha'penny place and doesn't cost me a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

jacob2 wrote: »
    in currys pc world this mornining they are doing a panasonic 39 led for 299 euro menu.. remote are the same as hitach with panasonic name on it it seems even panasonic tvs are made in turkey
    Yep cos the only thing Panasonic about the Currys set is the name. You're probably better off with the Hitachi because its likely a very similar panel and is bigger for the money.

I was actually in the Currys in Cork last Friday and they had a truckload of the 39" 'Panasonics' lying around. This tells you everything you need to know. This set was basically specially produced for Currys for this sale. In a way, I;m a bit disappointed that Panasonic have allowed their name to be used like this. The 50" version of the same set is actually not a bad price in fairness for €450. it may not be a hectic set by modern standards but that's not a bad price to pay for set that big that you can bring to your local Currys if it goes wrong. And as others have said, just because its not "Smart" is not necessarily a bad thing

If buying a Panasonic try and get it from a retailer that offers the Panasonic 5 year warranty promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If buying a Panasonic try and get it from a retailer that offers the Panasonic 5 year warranty promotion.
    But you pay a lot more for the model that way. Its akin to taking out an extended warranty.

Swings and roundabouts

muffler wrote: »
    But you pay a lot more for the model that way. Its akin to taking out an extended warranty.

Swings and roundabouts

For sure you do. When I collected the Hitachi in my local Argos, the girl at the till asked me would I like to avail of a 5-yr extended guarantee for €175.00:eek:. I politely declined:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

For sure you do. When I collected the Hitachi in my local Argos, the girl at the till asked me would I like to avail of a 5-yr extended guarantee for €175.00:eek:. I politely declined:)
    Under eu law you have 3 years anyway

massy086 wrote: »
    Under eu law you have 3 years anyway

Well it was Christmas-time, so I did'nt want to go quoting EU directives to her. By the way its 2 years.

muffler wrote: »

Swings and roundabouts
    Not really, well not when I was buying about a year and half ago. I actually think Curry's was slightly more expensive and that was minus the 5 year warranty.

Anyway it seems that the promotion is not running at the moment on cheaper models but it still stands on the more expensive Panasonic's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

lads,

Thoughts on this thread.

I wouldn't say they're anything approaching a rip-off, it just depends on your usage.

Smart TV's are brilliant in their own right, really.

Personally, I have my TV connected to my PC, so even though my last 2 TV's have been Smart TV's, I've never checked or felt the need to check their capabilities because I run everything through my PC.

It's a very relative argument. If I didn't have a PC, I'm sure I'd be far more weighted towards features on a Bargain Alert. We have to remember that the vast majority of people won't have a PC in their living room, and as such, a Smart TV presents excellent value considering the avenues they open up.

Often, you see in BA, that a supposed BA isn't a BA because it doesn't offer x, or y. Whilst that may be true to me, realistically, boards isn't a perfect representation of the wider market, and to most people, the value of a TV can hinge on the smart options it offers.

Advertisement