Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bright mornings of birdsong still remind me of stepping into the bright sunlit exteriors of the castle in Ico.

Also, I can't see real life castles now without wondering if there's a Blood Starved Beast around the corner

Maybe I'm late to the party with this one but have ye heard of Fightcade before?
    It seems like a great idea, enabling online multiplayer for games emulated by Final Burn Alpha.
    https://play.fightcade.com/
    As is tradition, roms aren't included in the download

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Rage posted a video from the 8bit conference, saw a Mega CD but already sold. Going rate is about €90. Had a look on eBay and most of them are paired up with a console already or boxed for close to €200. Don't know if I'll get one anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The Rage posted a video from the 8bit conference, saw a Mega CD but already sold. Going rate is about €90. Had a look on eBay and most of them are paired up with a console already or boxed for close to €200. Don't know if I'll get one anytime soon...

Cidey did you ever get that faulty one going that I sold you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Cidey did you ever get that faulty one going that I sold you?

Nope, Kerbdog tried his best but no luck

• Advertisement

Anyone know any good YouTubers to follow? I like some of the stuff My Life In Gaming have done like with RGB and EverDrive and I like a lot of the hardware/history videos the likes of Lazy Game Review's or Metal Jesus Rocks have done (Don't judge me :P)

Wondering if there's anyone else worth subscribing to or any particular videos worth checking out. Saw an interesting one on Michael Jackson's music in Sonic 3 a while ago.

Slopes game room, Larry Bundy jr, Kim justice and Gaming historian are all very good.
    There's pat the nes punk and his buddy with the CUPodcast as well but the pair of them are the biggest mé féiners on YouTube. YMMV but I can't stand the pair of em.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    and I like a lot of the hardware/history videos the likes of Lazy Game Review's or Metal Jesus Rocks have done (Don't judge me :P)

KimJustice, thank me later :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope, Kerbdog tried his best but no luck

Would have loved to see it back in action. I wonder if the modded bios chip has gone faulty, and if it could be removed and the unit turned back to stock. I still maintain caps though, given it flashes to life for a split second at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another thumbs up for Kim Justice.

Also Jeremy Parish has a great series on chronologically documenting the gameboy nes and snes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Slopes fella almost disappeared up top hat gaming w*nkers arse during a spat between top hat and a spectrum/zx81 focused youtuber about uncredited use of gameplay footage. Slopes said he should be "honoured" that top hat gaming had used his footage. Honoured ffs. I certainly ceased my interest in that channel after that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I've cut gaming related YT subscriptions down to prob around 5 people. There's so.much.junk out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Kim Justice is my favourite. Hung out with her and DJ Slope for a good while at Play Expo they're both really sound. I used find Larry Bundy and DJ Slopes videos really entertaining but the style of them has been feeling a little stretched and repetitive of late.

Others that I enjoy would be:

Superbunnyhop - good documentary/editorial type stuff
    Generation 16 - every mega drive game sequentially, tons of documentary style research
    GST大好き - retro game music mixes, with loads of very well researched information on screen too
    Banjo Guy Ollie - Carves out a nice niche in terms of what he covers. Just consistently interesting.
    Lazy Game Room - often copied, never bettered. Except maybe by Techmoan, but he's more consumer electronics.
    Noclip - very slickly produced documentaries.
    Ahoy - again very slick videos. The graphics are half the appeal really.
    Blast Processing - really short videos. Again, lovely production values.
    ClassicsOfGame - really short videos of weird things from old videogames presented out of context.
    Last Gamer - largest videogame collection in the world. Seems like a cool guy as well. He's currently building an obscenely huge personal arcade.
    LordBBH - king of MAME. He's completed thousands of arcade games. Just fun to see lots of games you wouldn't really know about.
    lukemorse1 - very bare bones point a camera at his TV stuff but he's at it forever and picks up interesting games.
    RetroManCave - only getting into this lately. Very well made videos indeed.
    SummoningSalt - speedrun record documentaries. I find them absolutely facinating for some reason.

I actually whittled that list down quite a bit. I've got 200 subs, 100 or so of which are retro gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Kim Justice is my favourite. Hung out with her and DJ Slope for a good while at Play Expo they're both really sound. I used find Larry Bundy and DJ Slopes videos really entertaining but the style of them has been feeling a little stretched and repetitive of late.

Others that I enjoy would be:

Superbunnyhop - good documentary/editorial type stuff
    Generation 16 - every mega drive game sequentially, tons of documentary style research
    GST大好き - retro game music mixes, with loads of very well researched information on screen too
    Banjo Guy Ollie - Carves out a nice niche in terms of what he covers. Just consistently interesting.
    Lazy Game Room - often copied, never bettered. Except maybe by Techmoan, but he's more consumer electronics.
    Noclip - very slickly produced documentaries.
    Ahoy - again very slick videos. The graphics are half the appeal really.
    Blast Processing - really short videos. Again, lovely production values.
    ClassicsOfGame - really short videos of weird things from old videogames presented out of context.
    Last Gamer - largest videogame collection in the world. Seems like a cool guy as well. He's currently building an obscenely huge personal arcade.
    LordBBH - king of MAME. He's completed thousands of arcade games. Just fun to see lots of games you wouldn't really know about.
    lukemorse1 - very bare bones point a camera at his TV stuff but he's at it forever and picks up interesting games.
    RetroManCave - only getting into this lately. Very well made videos indeed.
    SummoningSalt - speedrun record documentaries. I find them absolutely facinating for some reason.

I actually whittled that list down quite a bit. I've got 200 subs, 100 or so of which are retro gaming.

Love the 2 of these. Especially noclip, I used to skate with Danny back in the day, delighted to see him make it big time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The person I'm watching a lot of this week is Tim Rogers. I used read his articles back in the day on InsertCredit.com and then forgot about him but he's doing a lot of video for Kotaku now and they're pretty hilarious.

Inviere wrote: »
    Would have loved to see it back in action. I wonder if the modded bios chip has gone faulty, and if it could be removed and the unit turned back to stock. I still maintain caps though, given it flashes to life for a split second at times.

Maybe Kerb can chime in with his findings
    He's currently hard at work aligning my Famicom Twin, which is not wanting to read side B of my Moero Twinbee disk, following a belt replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I watch a lot of channels who make or repair stuff. Among them are :
    Michaelcthulhu. Irish fella in the US , makes giant swords and weapons from games: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGca03sbLq7OUnXMdvRHyBQ
    Men at Arms is another very good one in a similar vein (bit more flashy )

Jan Beta. A lot of commodore repair stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftUpOO4h9EgH0eDOZtjzcA
    GadgetUK164 in a similar vein: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRBWJ9JeJ3Q8ssn_ibii-Cg
    Arcade Jason has recently opened an patreon (I'm a contributor) and started doing a lot more monitor repairs.
    Doktorzett and Onecircuit do in depth but well explained arcadePCB repairs, going through schematics and tools used to diagnose.

Otherwise, Gamesack, 8 bit guy, LGR and the Gaming Historian are good (we've actually a project of a cover collaboration as he's a drummer too) . Game chasers have gone to hell and Pat the Punk is becoming increasingly irrelevant(er) ... I find I watch less review type channels like these though and more technical stuff.

I've watched some Slopes Game Room and Gaming Historian stuff before, just watched Gaming Historian's Power Glove episode which was quite interesting. Also watched the short episode on the Sega Nomad, didn't know it was exclusive to America :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

MsMadLemon does some good Commodore stuff, it's not something you get too much of else where.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSlMemxuBOFu6Rz_Al02nHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

So the Sega Genesis collection for PS4 got a free PSVR patch where you can play mega drive games in a virtual bedroom. It even supports multiplayer:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

Since Techmoan got a mention I have to suggest The 8-bit guy who collaborated with him on a video.
    His videos are on the more technical side of retro gaming and computing and he even made his own game for the c64 with plenty of videos of its production.

https://www.youtube.com/user/adric22

He also has a second channel called 8-bit Keys for those who like old video game music and old keyboards which feature similar fm chips to those used in Adlib cards.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcTt3O4_IW5gnA0c58eXshg

Techmoan also did a collaboration with RetroManCave recently, and RetroManCave has a podcast interview with BanjoGuyOllie.

It's great to see collaborations going on between channels.

BGOllie wrote: »
    Game chasers have gone to hell

Yeah, I still watch the episodes, and while the production quality is still high, the constant 'dicking around' gets tiresome real fast.
    and Pat the Punk is becoming increasingly irrelevant(er)

Unsubbed from Pat a long time ago. That podcast where the two of them sit pontificating and general condescending turned me right off him.

Norm (Gaming Historian) puts out seriously good content too, and comes across as a really nice chap. Norm & Kim Justice would probably be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agree with both points above.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,531 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I couldn't be more out of the loop with retrogaming channels. I think the slew of 'three american dudes sitting around talking about NES games I've played a million times already' thing turned me off them.

Anything recommended from more documentary/genuinely interesting point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Way too many turned out to be gamergate sh*tgoblins for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

o1s1n wrote: »
    I couldn't be more out of the loop with retrogaming channels. I think the slew of 'three american dudes sitting around talking about NES games I've played a million times already' thing turned me off them.

Anything recommended from more documentary/genuinely interesting point of view?

I watch most videos from these two guys

Luke moorse

American guy based in Japan, does mostly Arcade gameplay and repairs.

Classic Gaming Quarterly

Does very good videos on retro console launches

Has another channel also, talking about his youth and video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Watching Techmoan has cost me a fortune :)
    I like my modern and vintage audio/video tech, and he always seems to have something up that I'm interested in and end up buying.

I used to enjoy Loading Ready Run when it came to games and gaming humour but they have gone a little like MTV, less and less about their original mission profile and more and more about other stuff, less relevant to me stuff.

I was a fan and patreon supporter of CGR but Mark has packed in Youtube I think and moved to the Amazon platform, which I can't access as easily, so I stopped the patreon monies and haven't watched a video of his in a while.

Even the central joke of Zero Punctuation has gotten less funny now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Doge wrote: »
    So the Sega Genesis collection for PS4 got a free PSVR patch where you can play mega drive games in a virtual bedroom. It even supports multiplayer:

I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY POST THAT REFERENCES THE MEGA DRIVE BY THAT NAME!

AGUtH4G.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

50 Hz dumpster fire.... although the SNES does look so much sexier than the US model.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement