Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

There's 2 we give for calves like that- Vitasel, Vit E & Selenium & one simply called Multivitamin (orange stuff smells like iron).
    Same as that!

Many thanks for the info, calve was starting to come right anyway but got the multi vitamin for him and he is much improved thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

3 left 8/9 days should do it then calving 17 done and dusted ,hectic 2 months but great to see end in sight .smallbreak then ai season kicks off 29/04

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    3 left 8/9 days should do it then calving 17 done and dusted ,hectic 2 months but great to see end in sight .smallbreak then ai season kicks off 29/04
    11 left here, seems ages ago since the first one calved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would ye Dairy guys ever be tempted to just take a year out from AI and just let off some bulls.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Would ye Dairy guys ever be tempted to just take a year out from AI and just let off some bulls.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Not practical at all with compact calving, if you have say 10cows in heat the one day, even with say 3bulls running they might not get around to all the cows (instead they might spend the day with say 1/2 the cows ha). Letting the bull on out after say 3wks is a reasonable approach however, basically what I did here last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The wee EBY calf born Thurs finally moved onto the heifer today!
    Massive calf as you can see :P

W1Apwrol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote: »
    Not practical at all with compact calving, if you have say 10cows in heat the one day, even with say 3bulls running they might not get around to all the cows (instead they might spend the day with say 1/2 the cows ha). Letting the bull on out after say 3wks is a reasonable approach however, basically what I did here last year.

, have three calving periods all from bulls. 8 weeks winter then I let bull with heifers for eight weeks then move onto ten weeks for spring. Not saying it's right but if I don't have ten calved on one day I don't have ten in heat on one day, normally three bulls in spring. I'm paying for it in that I haven't the calibre of cow that some lads have but Iv gotten the calving groups relatively tight. Am going to bolus cows before bulls go in this year.

Have a heifer near calving. Well bagged up now. Bought her ,so not sure when she is due. Checked her late last night, didn't think she was near so didn't put her in calving area.
    Up early this morning to check. Spotted her in the yard so didn't bother going in. Then heard a calf bawling in the shed. Went in and there was my PB Lim heifer coming out against me, all agitated. Black heifer calf in the middle of the cubicle shed, all dirty. Had to check all the cows/heifers. Not sure which had calved.
    Yep the PB Lim heifer. Cleaned and all. Christ. Must have been bulled the 3 weeks before I AI'd her. She wasn't due for another 21 days so that makes sense. Not much milked either.
    Can't figure how she got bulled. I had herd test at the time but I'm almost certain that the BB bull I was planning on selling then was in another part of the farm. He was the only bull here apart from young calves.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Immaculate conception Patsy :D

Have two here that'll calve in the next couple of days due to JKS & THZ, two opposites on the calving difficulty spectrum.

Well my other heifer just calved. Bit of a pull with the jack. Big Lim bull. Heifer got up straight away to lick him so that looks good.
    Only one heifer left to calf. She's by APZ. That will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Well my other heifer just calved. Bit of a pull with the jack. Big Lim bull. Heifer got up straight away to lick him so that looks good.
    Only one heifer left to calf. She's by APZ. That will be fun.

I'm waiting on a fat little APZ heifer to calve to Highfield Odran, Ai'ed on June 22. Will be the first APZ heifer to calve here.
    Are they as useless at calving as their figures suggest?

tanko wrote: »
    I'm waiting on a fat little APZ heifer to calve to Highfield Odran, Ai'ed on June 22. Will be the first APZ heifer to calve here.
    I only have the one. But I don't like the way her hips are. She's also butty and fat. Bad combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Only have one here but she's very quiet at least. I'll be moving her on id say. What is yours in calf to?

Only have one here but she's very quiet at least. I'll be moving her on id say. What is yours in calf to?
    ZAG. Mine is exceptionally quiet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

Worse than useless, I'd two purebreds here by apostle and they had the worse pelvis I ever seen.

Only 27 left to calf 💪!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only 27 left to calf 💪!

7 here

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

one left. over due sice the 6th. properly calve tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Only 27 left to calf 💪!

Not far off ya, had six calve last Fri . The biggest of the aa bulls doesn't seem to have an intestine or missing part of seen it once before

Mooooo wrote: »
    Not far off ya, had six calve last Fri . The biggest of the aa bulls doesn't seem to have an intestine or missing part of seen it once before

Yeh big burst here the last few days, which I'm fairly sure corresponds to when the AA bull got pulled from the cows and replaced with the HE, the AA got lame hence why I pulled him. Thinking about 3 bulls this year, 1 for the heifers and 2 for the cows. Could well just end up getting 3 br fr, the AA or HE aren't getting me enough of a price bonus over the fr, especially not after you factor in the likes of 250+ for selling a fr heifer.

Yeh big burst here the last few days, which I'm fairly sure corresponds to when the AA bull got pulled from the cows and replaced with the HE, the AA got lame hence why I pulled him. Thinking about 3 bulls this year, 1 for the heifers and 2 for the cows. Could well just end up getting 3 br fr, the AA or HE aren't getting me enough of a price bonus over the fr, especially not after you factor in the likes of 250+ for selling a fr heifer.

I have a fr bull here of our own breeding, was going to sell him but I'd say I'll ring an inbreeding check on rest of herd and see is he related to any, his mother and sister are already incalf so ok on direct relatives. Must check his ebi since the change as well. Have an aa here as well so may alternate them with the cows for the last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Four days over due but finished calving now for the year. Breeding season now in three weeks the 1st may

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

degetme wrote: »
    Four days over due but finished calving now for the year. Breeding season now in three weeks the 1st may

I got fed up looking at the last six on Sat morning. Three on straw in springers and there in a cubicle house. Fired them out on a paddock between my own house and entrance road. Everybody much happier with the arrangement. First one with her tail up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Had a CHx heifer due to ZAG since April 4th. She started on Saturday evening and didn't seem to be making much progress. Handled her and tried a pull myself with the jack but was getting nowhere. Head and feet were up but I wasn't making an inch with the jack so called the vet. He tried with jack also but same result so out the side door. Had been going on for a while so was glad when I saw he was alive. Big tall calf. Didn't seem too wide anywhere but was obviously getting stuck somewhere. Anyway, both are doing okay so story could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

Last cow calved this evening, 9 weeks and a day since the first one calved, never had calving as compact as that and may never have again, all down to pulling the bull early, the downside of that was 13% empty but i can live with that :)

Another set of twins, bb bull and heifer. Big enough with a bit of an extra pull needed at the hips. Hope the singles off this bull won't be too big now, have about 5 to calve to him

It was a surprise set of twins 2days ago, now a fr heifer calf, when I went to check the drys on the rented farm this morning! I could get use of this calving outdoors business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

3 left. Bulling started today. Autumn calving heifer that's getting last chance saloon

Advertisement