Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Yea he came backwards but wasn't too hard a pull on the ropes, just myself and dad, no calving jack. The way he walks makes me think he has them crossed at the hock (as if he was holding in a piss) while in the cow.
    Have him let out with a shot of selenium and seems to be working his way round anyway!

Fingers crossed. Might be worth an injection on anti-inflammatories too. Hopefully come with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Fingers crossed. Might be worth an injection on anti-inflammatories too. Hopefully come with time.

That's what I was hoping! Now I have to go round him up for the night, bit cold to leave a softy like him out seeing as he had a sit down when I tagged him earlier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Parishlad wrote: »
    I had a section (well a cow had :D...) the week before last. I had her in a pen on her own for maybe 5 days and moved her outside with two other cows (at the same time) after that. I would be more worried about putting her back on slats with a bunch of cows. Outside would be fine after a few days I'd say. Stitches can come out after 4 weeks or so....no great rush to take them out.

Edit to say that I had given her a shot of Pen Strep every day while she was still in.
    last section here was 4 yrs ago and vet said to leave the stitches ,she calved every year since on her own with no prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There is a video on the link below on putting on calving ropes. Some interesting tips on spreading the pull.

http://tommythevet.ie/farming-videos/applying-calving-leg-ropes-basics/

A bit late in the year but we'll know for next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's the way I had them on when I pulled off the hoof shell.:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

How's that calf now Patsy? I just had to chase that brute of a calf around the field to put him in for the night, he managed to go through wire so was in a panic in the next field walking up and down the ditch. Bit of a pant on him now so will have to watch him tomorrow. I swear if you had four heads they'd still do something ridiculous like that without being seen!

How's that calf now Patsy? I just had to chase that brute of a calf around the field to put him in for the night, he managed to go through wire so was in a panic in the next field walking up and down the ditch. Bit of a pant on him now so will have to watch him tomorrow. I swear if you had four heads they'd still do something ridiculous like that without being seen!
    Flying it. A bit tinder walking on it but she still manages to run around the shed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

Flying it. A bit tinder walking on it but she still manages to run around the shed.

Did you shoe her patsy?

Did you shoe her patsy?
    No not yet anyway. It seems to be hardening up so we'll see. I was on to a fellow poster here, who had the same problem before and his calf turned out fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought you had the rope around the fetlock and it tightened around hoof after it slipped?

• Advertisement

I thought you had the rope around the fetlock and it tightened around hoof after it slipped?
    No it was the lower loop that slipped down. Maybe the top one did too, don't know. I think if you are putting on that double loop, you need to make sure that the rope is well tight already on the loops and between them, before you start pulling. Not easy to do when they are inside a cow.

No it was the lower loop that slipped down. Maybe the top one did too, don't know. I think if you are putting on that double loop, you need to make sure that the rope is well tight already on the loops and between them, before you start pulling. Not easy to do when they are inside a cow.

Don't think I'd try that double loop myself, you're pressing down at the very start of the hoof shell. I've never had a rope slip off yet when just using one loop on the correct joint.

Ya I think you're right. I'll go back to the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Last cow calved this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »

Let the good times roll

Reggie. wrote: »
    Let the good times roll

12for ai this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »

21st last cow calved yday. Slipped coming into the parlour and was down for afew hrs. Totally derailed my sat evening plans ugh. I'm being to hate April as much as March ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    21st last cow calved yday. Slipped coming into the parlour and was down for afew hrs. Totally derailed my sat evening plans ugh. I'm being to hate April as much as March ha!

Am lifting a heifer here for nearly 3 weeks. Total headwrecker. When I lift her she's fine. Walks around,eats and drinks. Just cant get up again when she sits down. Its her front leg that's the problem. Have a calf on her

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Finished at six this evening. She was last cow last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Had 4 over the wkend 19 left

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »

Will you put the ones calving from now on on Oad? Debating it here but the ones calved in the last month seem to be coming in fine

Rule one of calving outside, don't say they'll be grand till morning, no wonder I wasn't great as a cornerback with the length of time it took me to catch the fecker of an aa bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Mooooo wrote: »
    Will you put the ones calving from now on on Oad? Debating it here but the ones calved in the last month seem to be coming in fine

Lyons put them on 4kg straight after calving, rising to 8kg over the next week and settle at 7 kg after 60 dim in order to minimise condition loss. That scenario may be more of a runner this year with milk price v meal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Scanned the cows last week have 4 not cycling so they are going on OAD.
    By the end of the frist 3 weeks of ai all cows will be calved at least a month, so any cow not bred I was going to use prid to try and bring them back closer to start of calving.

Lyons put them on 4kg straight after calving, rising to 8kg over the next week and settle at 7 kg after 60 dim in order to minimise condition loss. That scenario may be more of a runner this year with milk price v meal price.
    8kg of meal. Jeez that's a lot.

Rule one of calving outside, don't say they'll be grand till morning, no wonder I wasn't great as a cornerback with the length of time it took me to catch the fecker of an aa bull
    Imagine what they are like here after a week on the cow :D I only milk them once a day

Group seemed to think that would only push milk out of them but with a 14 nut perhaps it's a better option, can top up in parlour here handy enough. Could do without any lower output tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

2 cows left and I'm done .. I had a white fiston heifer today which was unusually early at 283days .. Snow White with black nose .. He 5 star replacement too and cow is a good milker for a better A white commercial char

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

So after taking about 10 years off the old lad, how mad is my suggestion on breeding for 2k18. Every year we are May 1 to May 5 starting, like clock work. Due to the nature of my land I know cows wont be out until at best 17 March, reality 1 April, so, considering I already have about 60% of pre heats recorded in 2 weeks I suggested shoving AI out until May 20th, 5 weeks of FR then AA for 5 weeks and done
    Am I as delusional as is being suggested?

• Advertisement

And they're off. First cow calved here last night. 5 days earlier than she did last year. Her second calf. Nice black Lim heifer.
    Looked at her yesterday and decided it's time to disenfect the calving area. Said I'd leave it till today before putting straw in it. Heard bawling from the yard and there was the calf running about covered in sh1te. Dried her off and got cow into chute. She drank away then no problem. See her there on the calving camera again and she's sucking away.

Advertisement