Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Sillycave wrote: »
    What was the name of the multi vitamin? Have a calf like that as well, thanks

There's 2 we give for calves like that- Vitasel, Vit E & Selenium & one simply called Multivitamin (orange stuff smells like iron).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

There's 2 we give for calves like that- Vitasel, Vit E & Selenium & one simply called Multivitamin (orange stuff smells like iron).

Same as that!

Same as that!

I spilled some of the multivit in the van back in Jan, still smell it every time I get in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The multi vitamin injection always seems to sting them more than any other injection for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Might be a silly question but would you give both together or one or the other? :o

• Advertisement

Sillycave wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but would you give both together or one or the other? :o

Both together, but if the bad knees persisted I'd repeat the Vitasel & selenium one after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Had a Limousin bull calf born last nite at 9. Very fast calving but some of the cleaning came along with the calf and was wrapped around his head when he came out. Luckily i was nearby and heard the cow bawling after she calved so he was only out a couple of minutes when i pulled the cleaning off him.

Put the cow in the crush at 11 and the calf had a good feed and all seemed normal. But this morning his heart was racing and he's breathing fast.
    Got the vet out and he reckons the calf has a hole in his heart or a problem with a valve in his heart. He gave him a few shots into the vein and left stuff to give him for a few days.
    He's able to stand and suck but isn't as strong as last nite. Anyone have one of these and did they make it?

Heart murmur is a hole in the heart, they can vary in degrees of severity, did your vet mention if it was actually that or just assumed it? If it's a bad one it's really easy to hear with a stethoscope, there's a weird whoosh sound along with the heartbeat.
    If he's standing & sucking there's not much you can do only try to keep him relaxed & calm, they can close naturally as the calf grows so don't lose hope for your lad.

Our little premature calf had a bad murmur so guess that's what got him, though we also had one maybe ten years ago with a heart issue & he lived to weanling age. Vet came out to look at him & insisted on a blood transfusion as he was pale. Calf got it, staggered out of the crush & collapsed panting & died. Shuld have know there was something off with that second lad as he did the same collapse & pant after we dehorned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

tanko wrote: »
    Had a Limousin bull calf born last nite at 9. Very fast calving but some of the cleaning came along with the calf and was wrapped around his head when he came out. Luckily i was nearby and heard the cow bawling after she calved so he was only out a couple of minutes when i pulled the cleaning off him.

Put the cow in the crush at 11 and the calf had a good feed and all seemed normal. But this morning his heart was racing and he's breathing fast.
    Got the vet out and he reckons the calf has a hole in his heart or a problem with a valve in his heart. He gave him a few shots into the vein and left stuff to give him for a few days.
    He's able to stand and suck but isn't as strong as last nite. Anyone have one of these and did they make it?

Not exactly the same but I had a cow calve a few weeks ago and the sack around the calf never broke and as well as it restricting breathing the calf must also have inhaled some of the fluid. Like that, it was lucky I was there so I hopped in to the pen and cleared it from the calf's head. However, t eh calf was still very unresponsive so I lifted it by the hind legs as far as I could above my head. There was no way I was getting him over a gate on my own. Ran out and got a steel drum I keep for this reason, draped the calf over it and rocked it over and back and it did the trick. A couple of coughs later and all was fine. When all was over I was more wrecked than the calf. Thankfully the cow was good enough not to kill me as I was manhandling her calf around the pen! I'd say if the calf was left for another 30 seconds he would have been dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah the vet said his heart sounded weird when he was listening with the stethoscope. He's a fairly big lump, i can't see his heart rate keeping up what it's doing now for too long. Sure we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Finally got off the mark here, two little limo calves, the bright one is a bull and the red one is a heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Impeccable heifer - 280 days

Dairy lads would love this cow 9 heifers 1 bull landed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

sonnybill wrote: »
    Impeccable heifer - 280 days

Dairy lads would love this cow 9 heifers 1 bull landed

Happy out
    She'd be well camouflaged. One of the better cows here has had 7 bulls and 2 heifers only

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Had a nice size SI2152 heifer calf this morning. cow calved herself. up and sucking in the hour.
    she'll be a keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

RD10 wrote: »
    Had a nice size SI2152 heifer calf this morning. cow calved herself. up and sucking in the hour.
    she'll be a keeper!

How do you find SI2152 Curaheen earp for calving? thinking of using on heifers for calving at 2yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

How do you find SI2152 Curaheen earp for calving? thinking of using on heifers for calving at 2yo.

only have the one calf off him so far. nice heifer calf but big enough. not sure about if putting him on heifers would be a great idea, especially 2yr olds.
    neighbour had a heifer calf by him in january and calf was also a nice size at birth too. their good square calves though.
    any pictures ive seen of his progeny seem to be coming the same too. but as i said i only have the one so far. i'd only use him on cows myself.
    il try throw up a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Vet job for a calving today, cow pushing for a while but no sign of anything, put my hand in and all I could find was the calves tail! Both back legs turned forward! I've turned front legs before, and made a reasonable stab myself at shoving him forward and turning the legs, but knew quickly enough I was bet. Vet had no real problems turning both legs. Nice healthy live HE bull calf so all ended well.

Had a monster Limo calf early this morning from a shorthorn cow, 5am. Serious pull on my own, really should have a calf jack I suppose. They all seem to be calving at night as well.

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Had a monster Limo calf early this morning from a shorthorn cow, 5am. Serious pull on my own, really should have a calf jack I suppose. They all seem to be calving at night as well.

Massive angus calf here this morning. Jack job. Head swollen. 5am too! Calf ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Timmaay wrote: »
    Vet job for a calving today, cow pushing for a while but no sign of anything, put my hand in and all I could find was the calves tail! Both back legs turned forward! I've turned front legs before, and made a reasonable stab myself at shoving him forward and turning the legs, but knew quickly enough I was bet. Vet had no real problems turning both legs. Nice healthy live HE bull calf so all ended well.

I had a cow calving this morning during milking. When I finished milking I could see Dad running towards the cow in the shed so I ran in to the plant room and grabbed the ropes fearing the worst.
    So I ran up to himself and the cow and luckily she was after calving a red fr bull but it was in a dirty place nearly on the slats. So I pulled up the calf in the shed to a clean place and left the cow to lick the calf.

After a while we got the cow in to milk her and noticed another water bag.
    So sure enough another calf was coming but backwards. I was able to get the ropes on in the parlour and we took it from her but the calf was nearly dead. So I ran around into the pit and squirted cold water into its ears and on its head and it started shaking its head and taking a few breaths and we got it going.
    But a live black fr bull calf.

So two live fr bulls, one red and white and one black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Irish Beef wrote: »

Get a jack. It will save your back, if anything else.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

100%, Jack's are cheap enough, one saved calf and it will have well paid for itself. I almost never make any effort to pull myself, if the calf needs assistance I put the jack straight on and work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

You can replace a calf, you can't replace your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Timmaay wrote: »
    100%, Jack's are cheap enough, one saved calf and it will have well paid for itself. I almost never make any effort to pull myself, if the calf needs assistance I put the jack straight on and work away.
    Too true only got one this year and I'm fairly sure I'd have 2 dead Charolais bull calves if I had'nt it

Your dead right, my back is sore now, ill have to price one, well worth it I'd say, all calves so far have taken a bit of a pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

RD10 wrote: »
    only have the one calf off him so far. nice heifer calf but big enough. not sure about if putting him on heifers would be a great idea, especially 2yr olds.
    neighbour had a heifer calf by him in january and calf was also a nice size at birth too. their good square calves though.
    any pictures ive seen of his progeny seem to be coming the same too. but as i said i only have the one so far. i'd only use him on cows myself.
    il try throw up a picture
    Have used his sire Vio, cows had no bother with 60kg+ birth weights @ 289 days, wouldn't like to inflict that on heifers

Had to pull a bb myself a 3 this morning. Cow stayed standing during it and had cleaned this morning so ok, gave her a bottle of calciject as a milky cow. Waiting for her to meet the other "bosses" of the herd now so at least they'll do that in the field to sort their pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

Everyone calving cows needs a few basics, a decent calving pen with a head locking gate, ropes, calving jack , iodine, blue lube and a decent light. All can be bought for 6-700 euros.

Quiet for a week and have had 4 Angus heifers and a bb bull this week maybe two or three more in the next few days.

• Advertisement

Just saw an Ark scour testing kit for €18 . Has anyone used this?

Advertisement