Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai with guns!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

No. It's safe to say they weren't waving them about just lining up to buy coffee and scratch cards!

Did they feel lucky Punk?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Americanism.. its happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I wasnt aware that they were on their person, for some reason I always thought they were in a Lock Box in the back of the Volvo

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Heckler wrote: »
    Wow, your idiocy is impressive.

Leave out the personal insults
    Keep trolling, trolling, trolling, trolling, what!

If you have a problem with a post, report it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I read somewhere that German police fire less bullets per year than American cops do per suspect. Probably Russia Today or something but there's probably a bit of truth in it.

They're rated the highest in Europe when it comes to dealing with mental health issues so it's not surprising.

U.S. cops are trigger happy because a few lunatics got their hands on guns.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

ROAAAR wrote: »
    I look very similar to a drug dealer who used to live in Rathmines. I've been pulled over by the drugs squad countless times and I've most definitely seen one carry what appeared to be an uni gun. Do we really want are law enforcers carrying such weapons because let's call a spare a spare here some of them would be very well educated. There was a lot of time when people were getting their family into the guards even though the person was a bad tempered moronic idiot. Let's not try to pretend that didn't happen here in this country because it most definitely did and probably still does.

Your right I wouldn't want some big ignorant culchie waving a gun at me just because I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If that's the case, then their training and maintenance in semi automatic pistols must be absolutely atrocious. There's no good reason for still using a revolver today. Unless they're not spending the money to replace them.

There was an attack on one of the UK royal family (Anne?) where one of the police on protection duty had his pistol jam. Happened in the 1970s and people still cite it as a reason to go revolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well unless they start running around attacking Polish people or travellers, you can't really make that comparison. Community Gardaí are all well and good but there is a serious undercurrent of complete disrespect for the Gardaí around the country because scumbags aren't afraid of them and know the judicial system is soft.
    yeah. but a gun isn't going to change that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Just from what I have personaĺly seen, I think there is a steady increase in the number of Garda carrying firearms.
    I don't see the problem myself, if some parts of society had more respect for the law and their fellow countryman there would be no need for them.
    But unfortunately parts of society are being terrorised by the increasing proliferation of lawless scum who need taking down. If that means arming the Garda, then so be it.
    arming the gards isn't going to change any of that. a gun doesn't make those who don't have respect have respect. deluded nonsense. we don't need every gard armed. the ERU RSUS are enough

sdanseo wrote: »
    Disagree in two ways. One, I don't think more criminals would use guns, I think there'd more likely be less people chancing armed robbery.

Second, better armed than this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBLaST44oY
    again, wrong. armed police forces don't mean less armed robbery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

arming the gards isn't going to change any of that. a gun doesn't make those who don't have respect have respect. deluded nonsense. we don't need every gard armed. the ERU RSUS are enough

I never said it would change a particular section of societies attitude to law and order, I'm not naive. Nor did I say that they all need to be armed.
    What I was saying was that if they need to be armed to deal with a certain demograph of society then so be it.
    Edit:
    In saying that, it would never bother me if the entire force were to be armed, I personally don't see the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Not necessarily. This argument usually revolves around the US experience, but it wouldn't pan out that way in Ireland. Possession of a gun alone is an offense here and unless it's a shotgun they're extremely hard to get, so petty criminals wouldn't be armed.

New Zealand probably has the best system: regular cops aren't armed, but they have guns locked in the boot of all their squad cars. If they need a gun they have to get permission to unlock the box.

I think it's a good compromise.

I think that a very good system and would work very well in ireland too. however the issue is that it costs too much to buy the guns and ammo , and the time to train them in the use of the guns ,
    its just not cost effective

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Keep trolling, trolling, trolling, trolling, what!

OMG I was so hammered typing that but I stand over what I said, without the typos of course. A lot of people have got their family into the guards who really should be in there because of their bad temper among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If that's the case, then their training and maintenance in semi automatic pistols must be absolutely atrocious. There's no good reason for still using a revolver today. Unless they're not spending the money to replace them.

If my life depended on it id rather have a well maintained revolver in my hand, that's just me though

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

mynamejeff wrote: »
    I think that a very good system and would work very well in ireland too. however the issue is that it costs too much to buy the guns and ammo , and the time to train them in the use of the guns ,
    its just not cost effective

I think a good compromise would only give access to sergeants. They would be more responsible and experienced as well, so less chance of a Dirty Harry type situation. Keeps the regular guards unarmed as a force, but allows fast reaction with guns everywhere in country when need arises, so the public would be better protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

ROAAAR wrote: »
    OMG I was so hammered typing that but I stand over what I said, without the typos of course. A lot of people have got their family into the guards who really should be in there because of their bad temper among other things.

Dear Lord my typos are getting ridiculous for me to try make my point lol. Shouldn't * I think it's the predictive text on my phone changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No such thing as an automatic sidearm. A Sig is a semi-automatic firearm, as are all other pistols unless illegally modified.

I think there is or was a Mexican or Spanish automatic pistol , maybe thirty years ago.They are a collectors item now .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

the ERU RSUS are enough

You're way off. Far more than ERU and RSU are armed, in fact every detective grade Garda is. That's roughly a quarter of the force afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

kowloon wrote: »
    There was an attack on one of the UK royal family (Anne?) where one of the police on protection duty had his pistol jam. Happened in the 1970s and people still cite it as a reason to go revolver.

There are plenty of fellas walking around Dublin today who cheated death during failed hits because of semi autos jamming.They jam fairly often, even moreso when they are in the hands of somebody who hasn't the training to properly maintain and clean them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I don't think criminals really have guns bar maybe a few gangs in Dublin.

It's not really a problem here thank god.

Not sure where "here" is...
    Take a look at the last week or so News items, its not even a top slot news item anymore due to the regularity of gun incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

roadsmart wrote: »
    You're way off. Far more than ERU and RSU are armed, in fact every detective grade Garda is. That's roughly a quarter of the force afaik.

Oh Heavens Above, that's far too high!
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    Not sure where "here" is...
    Take a look at the last week or so News items, its not even a top slot news item anymore due to the regularity of gun incidents.

I can't help but wonder now should we be looking to making it some way easier for guns with the average joe soap. Considering the full-timers who cannot be trusted to keep their tongue, or their heads at times, to think it's very possible they could be armed when they loose it, should they loose it, should people be entitled to a fair/equal way to defend oneself :confused:

I've always been anti-gun ownership, but just cannot help but think this may be the way to go,

Just a query,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No such thing as an automatic sidearm.

The Glock 17C 18 would beg to differ, though, in fairness, it's more a novelty than a practical firearm.

kowloon wrote: »

Hardly a convincing argument. There's a reason that all military and police sidearms introduced today are semi-auto. The vast majority of failures with semi-autos are due to poorly maintained or loaded magazines. The second most common is poor technique. (Mainly limp-wristing). Third is a dud primer, the fourth is external forces (mainly someone's hand holding the slide in place). As you can imagine, 3 and 4 are very rare, and both can be fixed in about a second, with one hand if necessary. (Of note, Wilson suffered a failure to fire during his altercation with Brown, presumably Brown's hand stopped the slide racking after the first shot. Wilson cleared it by pushing against his steering wheel). Compare that to the benefits of lighter trigger pull, less felt recoil, thinner profile and higher ammunition capacity, it's no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ah the famous myth of the "unarmed" Gardai :)

If my life depended on it id rather have a well maintained revolver in my hand, that's just me though

Would you prefer six shots or 17 shots if your life depended on it?
    There are plenty of fellas walking around Dublin today who cheated death during failed hits because of semi autos jamming.They jam fairly often, even moreso when they are in the hands of somebody who hasn't the training to properly maintain and clean them

Tap Rack Bang really isn't that difficult a concept.

Lots of Garda with guns pr0n in this thread for the blissfully unaware.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056905814&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

The Glock 17C would beg to differ, though, in fairness, it's more a novelty than a practical firearm.

Should that not be the Glock 18?

SVI40 wrote: »
    Should that not be the Glock 18?

Erm... Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

the special branch have been armed since its foundation, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

I think there is or was a Mexican or Spanish automatic pistol , maybe thirty years ago.They are a collectors item now .

The glock 18 is automatic as well
    edit someone got there before me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No such thing as an automatic sidearm. A Sig is a semi-automatic firearm, as are all other pistols unless illegally modified.

o rly ?

Advertisement