Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai with guns!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

So OP? when you asked did they let you shoot out some of the tyres of the cars on the forecourt?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No because the criminals would be better armed

lots of guards would be killed

A lot of them are armed already because of the 250+ legally owned guns that get stolen every year.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/1134-guns-stolen-in-four-years-30441097.html

They'd definitely be more inclined to use them if all Gardai (or more people) were armed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulosam

RSU have the nice Volvo patrol cars too, not the usual poxy Focus or Hyundai estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

paulosam wrote: »
    RSU have the nice Volvo patrol cars too, not the usual poxy Focus or Hyundai estates.

I have always wondered this, what process is used to decide what type of cars our brave Gardai drive. Is it based on cost, speed etc. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I stopped into a Maxol garage after work earlier and there were two gardai ahead of me armed with handguns. They were dead on and we spoke about the weather and such as we waited in line. Maybe I've been living under a rock but is it this a fairly common sight nowadays? I wondered why it was necessary for them to be carrying guns. Please enlighten me!

That is some high Octane sh*t right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'Have ye got a coin to scratch this?'

'Just use the gun.'

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most of the criminals are already better armed. And Gardai are getting killed.
    John Cathy, another guy in the last year who took his own life after opening fire from his car.
    John Cathy? Do you mean John Carthy? If so, that was back in 2000, and he shot from his house.

=-=

Over two and a half thousand weapons and explosives offences happened in 2013. On the decrease, but we should remain vigilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The guards should be respresentitive of the people they serve, more community guards would be lot more effective than guns at reducing crime. We don't want the us and them scenario thats causing so much trouble in the US at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The guards should be respresentitive of the people they serve, more community guards would be lot more effective than guns at reducing crime. We don't want the us and them scenario thats causing so much trouble in the US at the moment.

Well unless they start running around attacking Polish people or travellers, you can't really make that comparison. Community Gardaí are all well and good but there is a serious undercurrent of complete disrespect for the Gardaí around the country because scumbags aren't afraid of them and know the judicial system is soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Well unless they start running around attacking Polish people or travellers, you can't really make that comparison. Community Gardaí are all well and good but there is a serious undercurrent of complete disrespect for the Gardaí around the country because scumbags aren't afraid of them and know the judicial system is soft.

Arming the guards won't change that, it a failing of society in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Not necessarily. This argument usually revolves around the US experience, but it wouldn't pan out that way in Ireland. Possession of a gun alone is an offense here and unless it's a shotgun they're extremely hard to get, so petty criminals wouldn't be armed.

New Zealand probably has the best system: regular cops aren't armed, but they have guns locked in the boot of all their squad cars. If they need a gun they have to get permission to unlock the box.

I think it's a good compromise.

What happens if the squad car is stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I stopped into a Maxol garage after work earlier and there were two gardai ahead of me armed with handguns. They were dead on and we spoke about the weather and such as we waited in line. Maybe I've been living under a rock but is it this a fairly common sight nowadays? I wondered why it was necessary for them to be carrying guns. Please enlighten me!
    Most if not all plainclothes detectives carry a .38 smith and wesson revolver.The armed response unit, regional support unit and branch use SIG's and other automatics as sidearms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Did they mention anything about a white Christmas? I might put a bet on, and if anyone would have an inside track on these things it's the Gardaí.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Most if not all plainclothes detectives carry a .38 smith and wesson revolver.The armed response unit, regional support unit and branch use SIG's and other automatics as sidearms

The revolvers have been phased out over the last 10 years. Most now carry sigs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

6541 wrote: »
    The sooner our Gardai are armed the better.

I woundn't trust the gardas with water pistols never mind guns.

We have already seen how they abuse their pepper spray. You can only imagine what they wound do if they had guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

roadsmart wrote: »
    The revolvers have been phased out over the last 10 years. Most now carry sigs.
    I still see plenty with revolvers,id imagine the police prefer using them as they won't jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just from what I have personaĺly seen, I think there is a steady increase in the number of Garda carrying firearms.
    I don't see the problem myself, if some parts of society had more respect for the law and their fellow countryman there would be no need for them.
    But unfortunately parts of society are being terrorised by the increasing proliferation of lawless scum who need taking down. If that means arming the Garda, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Disagree in two ways. One, I don't think more criminals would use guns, I think there'd more likely be less people chancing armed robbery.

Second, better armed than this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBLaST44oY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

6541 wrote: »
    The sooner our Gardai are armed the better.
    .. for the gun makers.
    Then the criminals need more and better guns. Then civilians need guns for protection.
    Instead of keep fit classes after Christmas we would need gun classes to learn how to use our Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Absolute BS

Criminals already have AKs and other high power guns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I still see plenty with revolvers,id imagine the police prefer using them as they won't jam.

If that's the case, then their training and maintenance in semi automatic pistols must be absolutely atrocious. There's no good reason for still using a revolver today. Unless they're not spending the money to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

diomed wrote: »
    .. for the gun makers.
    Then the criminals need more and better guns. Then civilians need guns for protection.
    Instead of keep fit classes after Christmas we would need gun classes to learn how to use our Christmas presents.

Nonsense. ..
    First off, a lot of criminals already have "more" and "better" guns than the Garda, thats why the there is an increase in armed Garda.
    Secondly, are you aware of the difficulty for a civilian to obtain a licence to legally keep a fire arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

No such thing as an automatic sidearm. A Sig is a semi-automatic firearm, as are all other pistols unless illegally modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

diomed wrote: »
    .. for the gun makers.

Wow, your idiocy is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I look very similar to a drug dealer who used to live in Rathmines. I've been pulled over by the drugs squad countless times and I've most definitely seen one carry what appeared to be an uni gun. Do we really want are law enforcers carrying such weapons because let's call a spare a spare here some of them would be very well educated. There was a lot of time when people were getting their family into the guards even though the person was a bad tempered moronic idiot. Let's not try to pretend that didn't happen here in this country because it most definitely did and probably still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

steveone wrote: »
    What happens if the squad car is stolen?

They get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

MadYaker wrote: »
    More guns means more people getting shot. At the moment petty criminals don't feel the need to have a gun themselves because they know their victims won't be armed and the Gardai won't be armed. Give the Gardai guns and that changes.

Tell that to the old Garda Sargent from my town. He went unarmed to tackle two lads ages ago and they shot him in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

ROAAAR wrote: »
    I look very similar to a drug dealer who used to live in Rathmines. I've been pulled over by the drugs squad countless times and I've most definitely seen one carry what appeared to be an uni gun. Do we really want are law enforcers carrying such weapons because let's call a spare a spare here some of them would be very well educated. There was a lot of time when people were getting their family into the guards even though the person was a bad tempered moronic idiot. Let's not try to pretend that didn't happen here in this country because it most definitely did and probably still does.

Keep trolling, trolling, trolling, trolling, what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I read somewhere that German police fire less bullets per year than American cops do per suspect. Probably Russia Today or something but there's probably a bit of truth in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I don't think criminals really have guns bar maybe a few gangs in Dublin.

It's not really a problem here thank god.

Advertisement