Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people want to have Children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They are a great way to save money.

I used to take 2-3 foreign holidays a year and would eat out a few nights a week. Now that there are kids, foreign holidays are too much stress and going out for a meal together once a week is even a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I willing to bet a lot of the negative comments here are from twenty something's, I was one too... too expensive, kill ur social life etc etc... as a recent father and that bit older its the best thing ive ever done... I know im going to have many great fun years ahead watching him grow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jester77 wrote: »

I used to take 2-3 foreign holidays a year and would eat out a few nights a week. Now that there are kids, foreign holidays are too much stress and going out for a meal together once a week is even a challenge.

Don't need to invest in an alarm for the mornings either. You get woken up no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Cen taurus wrote:
    So's growing old on your own, and paying for nursing care and other help with no one to help protect you. Surviving into old age in this world, without the protection of close family, ain't easy, and it's getting worse. Old people aren't very well treated or respected in this society anymore.

so basically, your not going to make kids for the family aspect, but for them to pay for your nursing home / elderly care?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Cienciano wrote: »
    Don't need to invest in an alarm for the mornings either. You get woken up no matter what.

That's true, 8:00 is now considered a lie in :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife told me I wanted kids.....

.....she was right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

SMJSF wrote: »
    so basically, your not going to make kids for the family aspect, but for them to pay for your nursing home / elderly care?

So basically you're going to make up what I said and put a question mark at the end of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cen taurus wrote: »
    So's growing old on your own, and paying for nursing care and other help with no one to help protect you. Surviving into old age in this world, without the protection of close family, ain't easy, and it's getting worse. Old people aren't very well treated or respected in this society anymore.

Your children might lump you in a nursing home at the first chance they get either!:eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Your children might lump you in a nursing home at the first chance they get either!:eek:

and so might yours and so might their children do the same to them or they might look after their parents so they might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

jester77 wrote: »

Thats like saying its a good way to not get a brain tumour by chopping off your head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

For love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

You and me baby we ain't nothin but mammals so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

jobless wrote: »
    I willing to bet a lot of the negative comments here are from twenty something's, I was one too... too expensive, kill ur social life etc etc... as a recent father and that bit older its the best thing ive ever done... I know im going to have many great fun years ahead watching him grow...

Social life in thirities if you don't have kids is just not there due to your mates having kids anyways lol :D unless you just hang out with twenty somethings

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GTX 780

I won't be having kids myself. I certainly won't be missing anything in my life at all, if I don't.

It probably wouldn't be the best thing that has ever happened me, if I did have kids, to be honest. That's why I'm deciding not have them; it would be completely selfish and very unfair on them. No persuading will ever change my mind in the slightest.

I know I'm coming across as a bit brash here, but I'm just being honest with myself and everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

jobless wrote: »

He will grow up to resent you. When you are old he will be "too busy" to come visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Macavity. wrote: »
    He will grow up to resent you. When you are old he will be "too busy" to come visit.
    Jaysus the negativity in this thread. Speculate all you want about not having kids or having them. Its not till you have your own sprog youll know either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Being in my early 40's with the third kid in the last 4 years its funny to reflect on how things have come full circle for me at least.
    In my 20's and early to mid 30's the thought of having kids seems wasteful, scary, pointless and "not right for me".
    However I can honestly say that the second I saw my first child being born (I was there, I cut the cord) that all changed. Its like a biological switch was flicked.
    These days my only regret is not having them 10 years ago! Its a cliche but you really have no idea how it feels until you hold your own.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GTX 780

Supercell wrote: »
    Its a cliche but you really have no idea how it feels until you hold your own.
    That's true enough. It will determine whether you want them or decide to put them up for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Now I would have thought the ride would be an important factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Sometimes I would love to have kids.....then I think about the possibility of getting ripped from my v to my a and that shuts that down. Really bad phobia over the birthing process!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Macavity. wrote: »

haha... some negativity here... he might resent me if im a bad father alright or to put a more positive spin we could be best mates for ever.... I know which ill be trying for...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

While kids can be hard work, every day they will amaze you and make you laugh and smile.

I had my going out days and weekends etc away, don't miss them as after awhile they are all the same.

Seeing the excitement of the kids on holidays, birthdays, Xmas etc makes it all even more special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

I've always wanted children but a few of my friends didn't.

There mothers now, I wouldn't know what id be doing without my children.

The first Tim I felt them move
    The first cry when their born
    The first smile/laugh
    First Time they say mama/dada

I never thought I could love someone so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

World War 3 needs cannon fodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Jaysus the negativity in this thread. Speculate all you want about not having kids or having them. Its not till you have your own sprog youll know either way.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to have a kid to know whether or not I want one. I don't. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Having a child with my wife was always something I wanted. Being adopted I had this insatiable desire to have my own family from a very young age.

Nothing can prepare you for children. No amount of reading or education or advice can do it justice.

Being a responsible, caring parent is the hardest thing in my life. They push me to the limits, constantly test what little patience is left in me after another night of crap sleep and they always want/need something.

But it's all worth it. They give my life a selfless purpose and bring a new level of love into my house/relationship. When they put their arms up to me to lift them. When they smile as I enter the room and they come straight for me for comfort. When they call me daddy. When I comfort them when they are unwell. When I get them treats or take them somewhere exciting and they nearly wet themselves with excitement. When I have to clean up their accidents and they are embarrassed and I say "it's ok pet, everybody makes mistakes" and their anguish disipates.

I think it's sad that many people will never truely know what it's like to unconditionaly love and nurture such a beautiful being. It's not for everybody and some people shouldn't be allowed to have children, but it's the most fulfilling thing in my life.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Having a child with my wife was always something I wanted. Being adopted I had this insatiable desire to have my own family from a very young age.

Nothing can prepare you for children. No amount of reading or education or advice can do it justice.

Being a responsible, caring parent is the hardest thing in my life. They push me to the limits, constantly test what little patience is left in me after another night of crap sleep and they always want/need something.

But it's all worth it. They give my life a selfless purpose and bring a new level of love into my house/relationship. When they put their arms up to me to lift them. When they smile as I enter the room and they come straight for me for comfort. When they call me daddy. When I comfort them when they are unwell. When I get them treats or take them somewhere exciting and they nearly wet themselves with excitement. When I have to clean up their accidents and they are embarrassed and I say "it's ok pet, everybody makes mistakes" and their anguish disipates.

I think it's sad that many people will never truely know what it's like to unconditionaly love and nurture such a beautiful being. It's not for everybody and some people shouldn't be allowed to have children, but it's the most fulfilling thing in my life.

I think your description of your love for your children is heartwarming and lovely to read. I think your last paragraph is silly, though. I have unconditional love for my parents and siblings. I helped raise my kid sisters due to my mother being disabled. I understand unconditional love and have nurtured children, just not my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Do people have kids to give their life meaning, is it a selfish act?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Do people have kids to give their life meaning, is it a selfish act?

Probably as selfish as deciding not to have any. We're all inherently selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think your description of your love for your children is heartwarming and lovely to read. I think your last paragraph is silly, though. I have unconditional love for my parents and siblings. I helped raise my kid sisters due to my mother being disabled. I understand unconditional love and have nurtured children, just not my own.

I'm not sure why the last paragraph is silly.

I wasn't insulting people who don't have children and didn't state that it has to be your own child. I am adopted and understand more then most that unconditional love is not limited to blood relatives.

I was saying the thought of people never having unconditional love for a beautiful little child and being a part in their growth is sad in the feel sorry for them sense.

Advertisement