Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people want to have Children

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Get a couple of monkeys. You'll save a fortune and they're great laugh. If you get fed up with them after a couple of years, you could sell them or give them to a zoo.:D

A couple of monkeys!? Don't escalate me man. I'm highly suggestible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

strobe wrote: »
    A couple of monkeys!? Don't escalate me man. I'm highly suggestible.

You need two, or a loner will turn feral.

Howabout a couple of meercats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I think people who make a conscious decision NEVER to have kids are just stingy cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

yipeeeee wrote: »
    It kind of is a selfish act when you think about it.

To bring meaning and happiness into their own lives.

To boast of how proud they are when the kid achieve things because they created it.

But it's obviously a special thing or else people would stop after their first one.

There's a flip side to that. Could view people without kids being selfish with their own lives and time out of their own lives being sacrificed to rare their own kids. People without kids could be viewed as too concerned with their own lives to care for another human being. Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

strobe wrote: »
    But I dunno, I like kids. I also quite like monkeys though. But I'm not going to voluntarily buy one and dedicate the next 18 years of my life to taking care of it.

Some breeds of monkeys such as Cappuchins can live up to 40years. Far worse than any child!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

My wife and i always said we'd never have kids. I couldn't take to them, was useless and awkward around them. I had too much going on, with work, recreational, social events, i did'nt feel the need.
    I actually told a couple of my mates who had children, that people had kids because they had nothing better to be doing with their time.
    I had lots of thing's i enjoyed doing and didn't think i'd make a good father.

Anyway fast forward three years, i have twin girls coming up to two years old. Love the two girls to bits, can't imaging life without them.
    Definitely the best thing i've ever done.
    We definitely made a decision though to make sure, our own life didn't stop when they arrived. Apart from foreign holidays and weekend irish breaks away being cut, i don't feel i've missed out on anything.

Still have a pint when i want, go running 5 times a week, have been out foreign three times in the last 12 months (shorter than before).
    So, children don't have to stop your life and can definitely improve it. I actually found out, im too bad at this fatherhood lark, even though i'm still ****e with other people's kids.

Definitely having kids is a personal choice. There's no right or wrong. I think i would have been very happy also if i'd never had any kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

dynamited wrote: »
    Obviously the baby making process is fun but seriously who actually wants to have children?
    Everyone else should feel the same way as I do.

There are positives and negatives to having children. For many, the positives eclipse the negatives; that's why they have them.

Others do the reverse, which is fine too.

Others are on the fence (like me) and don't know what the hell they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...well logically we shouldn't "want" them. They're a monumental pain in the arse, they make life a million times harder, they're an incredible amount of pressure and they're a constant source of worry.

But our genes are selfish and they want to reproduce themselves.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

dynamited wrote: »
    My view of people who have kids young is because they have realized they don't have what it takes to amount to anything so they basically pin all their hopes and dreams on their kids

Well that's bull anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Bit sad that the sum total of your life ambition is to create a needy replica of yourself.

Reminds me of the person who said the sun rose in the morning for the want of something better to do.

Well that's bull anyway.
    Makes them feel better though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I've always loved kids and playing with my little cousins was always wonderful and I've often thought I wanted kids but like most people I've also thought about what I could offer a child. So for now while I'm not in the financial state you'd want to be to have kids I plan to have them in future and I can offer them a stable home. While that isn't the only consideration-what could I offer a kid- while everyone has moments where they think they're a horrible person, so too do people think they will be horrible parents, I thought I would be because I thought my parents were but now I realise they did their best and practically killed themselves with work to make sure I had everything I needed and I as an angsty teenager just couldn't see that and I believe people can learn from each other as well as their own mistakes and not repeat them. Though some people are horrible and probably shouldn't have kids many people are wonderful and don't have them either so it's not always so simple and even then there's no guarantees their kids will turn out the same it's a pretty safe bet. Ultimately it's a personal decision which shouldn't be taken lightly or mocked by some as the individual as considered the consequences for their life and we have to respect that

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭numnumcake

I had a horrible childhood plauged with alcohol and mental illness. I was also an only child. I'd do anything to give someone the childhood I never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Ended my relationship with my last girlfriend for this very reason in November, was about 19 months into the relationship, but she said about a year into the relationship that she doesn't ever want kids because she is an academic in a science field and she threw this science mumbo jumbo at me that people that are academics and that are high functioning are prone to having autistic children, then other days she was like "Oh I might be open to adoption"

I would be more free spirited and I think "Take a chance, everyone else does!" I don't want to have kids with anyone anytime soon, but it would be nice to have that door left open for the future if I'm in this for the long haul and she was deadly serious in her comments, I kept putting it to the back of my mind, thinking "Oh she might change her mind sure we're not together very long yet" but this kept pecking at me for months where she kept repeating herself on the subject if we ever seen a kid wherever on the street and all I kept thinking was "What if she doesn't change her mind and I'd have wasted years with someone that doesn't want the same things I want when that time comes" And I know her well, she's incredibly stubborn and once her mind is made up, she sticks to it.

In my mind I always thought, why wouldn't a woman not want to have their own, I thinking it's nature, she should want to have her own. Was very frustrating thinking and thinking about it, until I just sort of burned out and had to end it, just couldn't deal with it anymore. Was really hard on me because at the end of it I've always struggled getting a girlfriend which made it incredibly difficult to call it quits, the whole month of November was hell because I've had to adjust and for December I've still been up and down because of it, probably because of Christmas and new year naturally.

I've always wanted to be a Dad because I've always had a difficult relationship with my Dad stemming back a long time, basically because he went somewhat off the rails when I was a teenager and promoting this "Don't do as I do, do as I say" attitude, where he gets to do whatever he wants when he wants, thinking "Ah sure the children are pretty much reared now, I can do what I want and not give a f**k" and he never really faces the consequences for it, which really is a bad influence even on a teenager but he did some bad s**t when I was a kid too. My mam on the other hand, I'm more like her, we have the same values pretty much.

I've always wanted to be the Dad that is the opposite of my own who looks after every thing, doesn't do anything incredibly selfish/careless/ thoughtless/irresponsible and makes sure the kids never have an unpleasant or bonkers upbringing, the same as other kids his/her age and not have them look at me with disdain/disgust like I do with my own Dad still, even now that I'm well into my 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I don't know if this is a serious question or not, but the short answer is that children bring warmth and love into your life.

Of course you can experience those emotions with a partner but with children it's like multiplying it, even if you didn't think that was possible.

They are also fantastic fun (certainly a lot more fun than most of the adults I know, and I include other people's children in that).

They bring a sense of wonder to your world which is refreshing.

Sorry to be such a drip, but that's the answer to your question. Or at least my personal answer, I can only speak for myself.

I don't have kids but this would be my answer for having them.
    Kids are pretty cool.
    I like how they don't have the bull**** (prejudices, egos, ingrained ways of thinking and the myriad socially-influenced crap) that adults have.
    Quite refreshing tbh.

Also the idea of bringing someone up with good values and without too much of this crap would be a reason to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

While these do sound like good reasons, personally I'm just apprehensive about the financial aspect and the loss of career opportunities and a social life. I'd like to have a kid if it meant all the good parts, but all the bad stuff, no thanks. Right now I don't plan on ever having kids as I want to be as commitment free as possible through my whole life - however if I feel at some point that there's that one thing missing, maybe I will consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

For me I think having kids, while a serious financial responsibility etc etc must be so much fun.

My own dad tells me that the years I was growing up were the best years of his life. We had SO MUCH FUN, I suppose someday I too want to lead and army of tiny humans that are hybrids between me and the woman I love, against the imaginary goblins or the insane sea god. Nothing better than runnin at some imaginary creature while screaming at the top of your lungs and flailing at it with a stick, or stalking strangers in the woods pretending to be some special ops soldier about to take down the enemy. great craic altogether.

I suppose there is the risk that you will have a child with serious disabilities and you wont get to do any of these things, and your lift wont quite go to plan, but you will always be bringing a little bit more love into this world and actually thats what it boils down to. I want to love another few people as much as I love the woman I'm with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You need someone to tell your boring stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

You need someone to tell your boring stories.

This.

Was briefly married and we both agreed we didn't want kids.

No problem per se with the ankle biters but not for me.

Have many friends with kids. Meet them individually and its probably 50% kid talk.

Get fellow parents together and its 100% kid talk ad nauseam and bores me to death. They plan about a week in advance to get out, get a babysitter and have a night out for the first time in possibly months and then spend the night talking about the children.

I know my friends children mean the world to them and I'm delighted they are so happy but I don't need a detailed breakdown of their nappy filling adventures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

To contribute something good to the world.
    I also want to love and nurture a being that came from me(and their father)
    Yes It's a selfish desire.

To have something live and grow inside of you has to be a remarkable life changing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

People should have as many kids as they want, unless they can't control the fuc*ers!

Why after not being able to control the first one, why would anyone go and have another 5 kids to not control! Its ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fluorosilisic Frank

I think many people have them because they are bored with life, and kids give you a nice long project to work on.

I have 3 nieces that I'm mad about and spend a lot of time with, but I think I'd go insane if I couldn't just hand them back whenever they started to bug me.....which would be often.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Luke92 wrote: »
    People should have as many kids as they want, unless they can't control the fuc*ers!

Why after not being able to control the first one, why would anyone go and have another 5 kids to not control! Its ridiculous!

Control and afford. I will never understand people who keep having children when they're financially struggling with the first one. It's not fair to the children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone not thinking of having children so they can travel the world and be financially secure, ? as far as i can see children are dreadfully expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

As a 19 year old I just think its something that needs to be done, like there would be a big gap missing from your life if you don't start a family. Maybe Im wrong, but if I never come to a point where Im in the right position financially and emotionally to have a family Ill probably be very disappointed in myself. Not angry with myself but I will just regret it forever I know I will

also kids are so cute and it looks amazing caring for them properly and watching them grow and being with them at all the big points in their lives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I don't want any children and think it's morally wrong for people to do so if they can't afford it and/or have genes that may predisposition those children to unwanted afflictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone not thinking of having children so they can travel the world and be financially secure, ? as far as i can see children are dreadfully expensive

I can tell you they really really are but a sensible couple always does the financial calculations just before they fcuk especially the man

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

The main reason I had kids was so that I could stomp around Tesco doing funny walks pretending to be a crocodile and not get kicked out. It's just lucky my eldest finds this hilarious and joins in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Dickie10 wrote: »

So's growing old on your own, and paying for nursing care and other help with no one to help protect you. Surviving into old age in this world, without the protection of close family, ain't easy, and it's getting worse. Old people aren't very well treated or respected in this society anymore.

Advertisement