Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'll vote for gay marriage.

However I think that straight couples cannot go for Civil Partnership an absolute joke.

Many people want to have a formalized agreement for living together (e.g. buying a house together), but do not want to get Married.

Myself and my other half had this setup for a number of years before we got married.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samenlevingscontract

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

ebbsy wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with voting no to either.

Personally I think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Don't mind same sex couples having the same tax breaks and rights as everyone else in the country ... but ... i wonder why they would want to be married under the eyes of GOD - the bible doesn't condone same sex in any regard ... i agree they should be able to make a declaration of their love etc ... but marriage. Probably not. That said if they are like alot of us and are more traditional and do not really delve too much into the whole religion thing and get married cos its the norm/way we were brought up ... i've no problem with it. The vote would be yes, but the reasoning needs a little more thought in my mind.

Now that you can see you've been misinformed, hopefully you'll be voting yes for the right of SSC to get married like I did? As I don't believe in a god, I didn't get married under the eyes of any supernatural power, as far as I'm concerned. You can also get married this way even if you do believe in a god. We will be voting for/against the right of gay people to also get married this way if they want to.

The reasoning for voting yes has been well thought out, and there is no real reason not to (at least not one that doesn't depend on people being misinformed or being of the view that homosexuality is "unnatural").

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Flem31 wrote: »
    I used the water charges as an example at how labelling people in the negative doesn't achieve anything.

Similarly, labelling someone as bad because they don't agree with your point of view is not a good idea either.

Personally I am neutral on the Yes\No as I haven't thought about it.....however labelling me as a bad person if I vote No isn't going to make me vote Yes.

Vote NO if you like.
    In my opinion this is morally the wrong thing to do.

Feel free to vote NO - you'll lose anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I used the water charges as an example at how labelling people in the negative doesn't achieve anything.

Similarly, labelling someone as bad because they don't agree with your point of view is not a good idea either.

Personally I am neutral on the Yes\No as I haven't thought about it.....however labelling me as a bad person if I vote No isn't going to make me vote Yes.

A no vote is a vote in favour of continued discrimination.

It won't necessarily make you a bad person, as a persons character shouldn't be judged on one act alone, but on the entirety of their actions.

It would, to my mind, be a bad thing to do unless you had a good reason to do so.

You are unlikely to find one though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Vote NO if you like.
    In my opinion this is morally the wrong thing to do.

Feel free to vote NO - you'll lose anyway!

Another label.....now immoral

Yes of course I am voting rights for all not just for some

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you think that denying someone rights because of what they do with their genitals is something that a good person would do?

This situation is not equitable with the water meters because water meters are not a matter of denying people human rights and are not a moral issue whereas this is.

If you want to make a choice make a choice but don't get upset if someone forms an opinion of you based on your choice.

You read me correctly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

floggg wrote: »
    Who wouldn't want to marry God though?

I think I would prefer to marry someone who does not expect me to do ALL the gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Shrap wrote: »
    Now that you can see you've been misinformed, hopefully you'll be voting yes for the right of SSC to get married like I did? As I don't believe in a god, I didn't get married under the eyes of any supernatural power, as far as I'm concerned. You can also get married this way even if you do believe in a god. We will be voting for/against the right of gay people to also get married this way if they want to.

The reasoning for voting yes has been well thought out, and there is no real reason not to (at least not one that doesn't depend on people being misinformed or being of the view that homosexuality is "unnatural").

I haven't been misinformed at all ... just haven't really looked into it. Nobody has informed me one way or the other i have said i would vote in the yes side, but like you and the non-believing in super natural powers - it still amuses me to stand on an alter, with a man of the cloth getting married in the traditional sense - i mean have you ever read through what the priest says? :D ... so you do not believe and i do not believe but here we both are married ... is that ironic? I dunno.

Civil ceremony ... Church ceremony ... its all the same this country needs to move on in line with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Ireland is being destroyed before my very eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I'm happy to pay for my water, I am not happy to pay extra taxes to support same sex relationships, while having no wish to prevent people having such relationships if they wish.

1123heavy wrote: »

Next there will be gay fellas winning All-Ireland Hurling medals.

Oh wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Who wouldn't want to marry God though?

Me. The fecker can't decide whether he's Father, Son or Holy Ghost. Imagine asking him what he wants for his tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ah ffs, SSM is legal now in many countries and so far nothing terrible has happened. What is the worst that can happen to the country with SSM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Daith wrote: »
    If you want to make a choice make a choice but don't get upset if someone forms an opinion of you based on your choice.

Not getting upset at all.....just find it strange that labelling others in the negative is seen as a only way to win the debate.

Was it not the negative labelling of SSC in the past that delayed the progression of attitudes to a point where this referendum has a great chance of passing.

Attitudes have changed....but the labelling of people in the negative continues....sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Sorry? Can you explain how your taxes support same sex marriages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

You should leave so. I hear Saudi Arabia share your views, as does North Korea and some African nations. Would you not prefer to be in a society that shares your thoughts?

• Advertisement

And you feel a predilection towards hyperbole is the necessary first step to rebuild it the way you would like, and the indispensable first move to make in discourse on the topic?

Not getting upset at all.....just find it strange that labelling others in the negative is seen as a only way to win the debate.

Was it not the negative labelling of SSC in the past that delayed the progression of attitudes to a point where this referendum has a great chance of passing.

Attitudes have changed....but the labelling of people in the negative continues....sad really

FWIW I don't think a no vote makes you a bad person but I do struggle to understand the process that would lead you to vote that way. I can't accept the argument that its bad for society as we have already seen legal SSM in action elsewhere and nothing bad has come of it. We've had civil partnerships for a few years now and nothing bad has come of it. Gay people are now able to live openly in society and be in relationships and nothing bad has come of it. I keep hearing things about how bad it is to give gay people rights and yet each tiny concession we give them does absolutely nothing!! If you can give a genuine reason why its a problem for you I'd be happy to listen without judgement. I think you should be free to vote how you want without being judged for it.

No, most people here are posting arguments when topics come up like adoption or marrying in a church.

These are generally ignored though.

If someone says they'll vote no and don't need a reason that's fine, perfectly entitled to but they just need to be aware it doesn't make them immune from being labelled.

eviltwin wrote: »
    FWIW I don't think a no vote makes you a bad person but I do struggle to understand the process that would lead you to vote that way. I can't accept the argument that its bad for society as we have already seen legal SSM in action elsewhere and nothing bad has come of it. We've had civil partnerships for a few years now and nothing bad has come of it. Gay people are now able to live openly in society and be in relationships and nothing bad has come of it. I keep hearing things about how bad it is to give gay people rights and yet each tiny concession we give them does absolutely nothing!! If you can give a genuine reason why its a problem for you I'd be happy to listen without judgement. I think you should be free to vote how you want without being judged for it.

I think a NO vote makes you a bad person!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

1. Its unnatural: You are on the internet. The unnatural ship has sailed long ago.

2. Children: A lot of misinformation here. Currently anyone single person can go through the adoption process. It doesnt matter if you are straight, gay or fond of cars. Legislation will be brought through to allow same sex couples adopt as a couple, this is completely separate from the SSM vote. If you vote no they can still adopt and raise children. If you want whats best for children then you should be voting yes as a married couple are less likely to split up. You can then read lots of studies on how nobody has proved that a same sex couple are worse parents than any other. You also need to consider that some people just dont want children.

3. Redefining marriage: Which definition? The most common form of marriage in Ireland has already been changed.

4. A book says its bad: You listen to your book and anyone who doesnt want to doesnt.

5. They said mean things: Because the no side has been really nice? None of my parents were gay and yet the no side likes to tell me that there was something wrong with my life. Somehow I managed to turn out ok but Im sure sending my mother to a group of nuns to take care of us would have been so much better.

6. But they can marry someone of an opposite gender: Black people would marry black people and sit in the back on the bus, it still wasnt seen as equality.

I think a NO vote makes you a bad person!!!

I don't think name calling is going to help tbh. I know people who will be voting NO. They are not bad people, mostly just uneducated and listening to the wrong groups. I hope to convince them to vote Yes by showing them that gay marriage is nothing to be afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I haven't been misinformed at all ... just haven't really looked into it. Nobody has informed me one way or the other i have said i would vote in the yes side, but like you and the non-believing in super natural powers - it still amuses me to stand on an alter, with a man of the cloth getting married in the traditional sense - i mean have you ever read through what the priest says? :D ... so you do not believe and i do not believe but here we both are married ... is that ironic? I dunno.

Civil ceremony ... Church ceremony ... its all the same this country needs to move on in line with the times.

I'm absolutely delighted for people who get married in a church, as I am for people who get married any other place! I'm happy for you that you get a spiritual kick out of being married by a priest, but for myself I can't say that a priest's words (in relation to a god) have any relevance to me, personally.

I certainly was not knocking a church wedding, but I thought you were misinformed when you wondered about why SSM should be held under the eye of god, you see. That's why I mentioned that it didn't have to be held there at all, as no church will be obliged to perform a SSM.

And no, it's not ironic that we're both married. It may be slightly ironic that I'm separated and pursuing a divorce though ;)

Appreciate that you're voting yes. Fair play to you.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't think name calling is going to help tbh. I know people who will be voting NO. They are not bad people, mostly just uneducated and listening to the wrong groups. I hope to convince them to vote Yes by showing them that gay marriage is nothing to be afraid of.

Yep there's an absolute distinction here. I know people who were against it but have changed their minds when a family member came out. Or when they realized the Church didn't have to marry anyone. Or when they find out that it has nothing to do with adoption.

It's the people who say "I don't need to give you a reason" that forms an opinion for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I think I would prefer to marry someone who does not expect me to do ALL the gardening.

Not even if it's the garden of Eden?

Anyway, I'm sure I could convince him/her to do another flip-flop on that slavery basis and procure me some help.

• Advertisement

Not even if it's the garden of Eden?

Especially then. That place has snakes. And species of fruit not currently identified by science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement