Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Straylight wrote: »
    According to the most recent poll, 71% are in favour and 17% are against. That really doesn't leave that many undecided tbh.

Not sure I would be using a recent poll as comfort in this.
    Up to now, this subject was for the majority of people an abstract idea. Yes, politicans and interest groups spoke about it, but it didn't mean an awful lot to anyone who wasn't directly impacted by it. (not trying to demean people's rights but with tax rises, job losses, mortgages etc.....most people were thinking of other issues that affected them at that particular time)

Inside 6 months we will be voting on it and now it does mean something and I expect the gap between Yes and No to narrow and the undecided block to increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Flem31 wrote: »
    And if you let the reasoned argument fly out the window......the chances of an overall Yes is diminished

I do not throw it out the window. I ask for sources and provided explanations to most of the arguments against SSM. I have yet to see anyone provide anything to suggest I am wrong and yet the same things are repeated and even worse is said. You can provide people with the information and studies but the no side depends on misinformation and they must accept the information themselves.

I dont think trying to claim a group of people as sub human is helping the no vote either.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Yes and yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Straylight wrote: »

Based on what I've seen in this thread, the views being expressed by some people firmly in the no camp were as far from rational argument as you could get. They were only labelled as bigots because, well, they were bigots. I've nothing against someone holding a contrary view as long as it's not based on bigotry and hatred of people different to themselves, for whatever reason, but tbh the no side have as much chance of persuading me to change my vote as I have of changing theirs.

If the Yes campaign are relying on No voters to change their minds.....you have big problems.
    Forget the No's....go after the Don't No's\Not sure and use the rational arguments to win them over.

At this stage whoever is Yes will stay Yes, and the No's will remain No's...it's the people in the middle that will decide this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

masti123 wrote: »
    Under the right circumstances, and a different understanding of words, one can be gay.

A different understanding of words? A different understanding of words?! You couldn't make this stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl wrote: »
    1. Because it's icky.
    2. God says no.
    3. Unspecified reason, yet to be articulated.

I've been away from this thread for the evening. Has anybody come up with a third option yet, or are they still circling the bowl of points 1 and 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I've been away from this thread for the evening. Has anybody come up with a third option yet, or are they still circling the bowl of points 1 and 2?

Yeah, we've moved on to 'it's a choice' now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Because we don't understand words.

Yeah, we've moved on to 'it's a choice' now.

Really? :D

I'll stay out of it so. When I interact with that much dopey I pick up cards and bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Thought I'd share my opinions on this thread but there seems to be alot of narrow minded people, kind of ironic. Anyway I just wanna say that homosexuals choose their ways. There is no gay gene and it will never be found. Therefore, homosexuality can't be passed through birth. For the record I do not "hate" gay people, I love everyone, thank you and have a good night.

• Advertisement

Thought I'd share my opinions on this thread but there seems to be alot of narrow minded people, kind of ironic. Anyway I just wanna say that homosexuals choose their ways. There is no gay gene and it will never be found. Therefore, homosexuality can't be passed through birth. For the record I do not "hate" gay people, I love everyone, thank you and have a good night.

Janey Mackers!!!

:eek:

You must have done or read some sort of study to come to that conclusion. You wouldnt be pulling it out of nothing right?

You must have done or read some sort of study to come to that conclusion. You wouldnt be pulling it out of nothing right?

It's been pulled out of somewhere, all right...

Look at it this way. If you posted saying you thought black people were more likely to commit crime and therefore should be kept away from other races, would you be surprised if you were called a racist? That's essentially whats happening here.

You don't hate them, fair enough, I'll take your word on that, but you are admitting you're willing to vote in order to limit another person's rights. Do you not see how that could seem intolerant?

He seems to know more than someone whos a doctor in the area so it must be.

Which is quite funny considering the poster appears to have a problem with people putting things in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Anyway I just wanna say that homosexuals choose their ways.

You are perfectly entitled to say that, nobody can stop you. You're 100% wrong, but sure why let the truth prevail over ignorance?

As for the whole gay gene thing, nobody ever said there was one, just like there's no straight gene either. That's just how people are and there doesn't have to be a reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You know that "genetic" and "choice" aren't the only possibilities, right?

And for the record, it is a choice for me. Life is a buffet when you are bisexual and have no standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Saying homosexuality is a choice implies people who are gay don't actually fancy members of the same sex as them and really prefer those of the opposite sex, but they have relationships/sex with those of the same sex as them anyway.

Technically there would have to be some kind of genetic component to it. Definitely not something as simple as the 'gay gene' that gets mentioned though.

• Advertisement

And for the record, it is a choice for me. Life is a buffet when you are bisexual and have no standards.

Ah, that's just being greedy.

:pac:

Runs away!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It is a fiscal issue. People's ability to have a relationship is not at issue, this has nothing whatsoever to do with people having relationships. What is at issue is whether that issue should have the legal privileges of marriage. I do not wish to pay more tax for single sex relationships.

The distortion of this debate is its more notable feature, terms such as relationships and equality are bandied about which have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Can you explain to me how you will be paying more tax?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Daith wrote: »
    No we will both have the same marriage.

Are you marrying Fran?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah, that's just being greedy.

:pac:

Runs away!

Look upon my ambisexuality, and envy me.

Look upon my ambisexuality, and envy me.

Ambisexual (adj.) To be sexy while walking around. To be a sexy ambulance. Orig. unknown.

Don't even pretend you aren't jealous.

Don't even pretend you aren't jealous.

Nah. That would imply choice. Or something. Am I doing this thread right?

BarryD wrote: »
    I'll vote if at all possible but how is another matter? I'd regard myself as reasonably liberal on moral matters but I have certain reservations about this referendum that I suspect would be shared fairly widely. In that I'm inclined to believe that Marriage as an institution is a matter between a woman and a man or vice versa if you like.

I have no problem at all with gay or lesbian people or with Civil Partnership and equal rights under the law for property, tax and inheritance etc. None whatsoever.

But I'd still be inclined to think that the term marriage should be kept to it's traditional meaning. That's not to say that marriage is superior to civil partnership, just different in the way that a cat is different from a dog etc.

Maybe I'll change my view when I hear more arguments from both sides, but it'll take quite a lot of persuasion.

What is the traditional meaning of marriage though

Traditionally 12 year old girls could marry
    Traditionally men could legally rape their wife within marriage

What about same sex unions in Christian Pre Mosern Europe - were they traditional?

Terry Pratchet

No. I think he means the traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

Again what does that even mean? There seems to be some kind of false propaganda that marriage has never changed or evolved.

Perhaps you are referring to these traditions;
    The tradition that 12 year old girls could marry
    The tradition that men could legally rape tgeir wives
    The tradition that married women had to leave work

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    Careful now, don't be trying to put words into my mouth.. by traditional, I mean what has been accepted as the norm for marriage in Ireland for let's say about the last five hundred years. That is an agreement between a man and a woman or a woman and a man to be husband and wife or vice versa. I don't believe that men have had multiple wives in legal marriages in Ireland since probably the Brehon laws were in use.

You might not like this view and you don't have to like it but I daresay it's close to the first instinct of most Irish voters.

That said, I voted against the 'Childrens Rights' referendum, not because of any religious quibbles but because I thought it was a bad idea to give our already incompetent and under resourced state officials even more powers than they already had. I thought that might be lost as well but in the event, it was carried by a gullible public.

What?

Are you suggesting marriage hasnt evolved or changed in the last 500 years in Ireland?

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement