Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude in the bus lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

mmmcake wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a ignoramus selfish individual who knows how to remedy their problem, but wont.
    Use the cycle lane all the time and you will have NO grievance.

Not when it's unsafe. As I said I'm not doing it to purposefully inconvenience anyone. I use it when necessary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I shouldn't be harassed or put in danger because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lemming wrote: »
    Ah ... this old pig-ignorant-as-muck argument.

I'm a cyclist. I'm also a driver. On any given day I see more bad behaviour, aggressive behaviour, poor judgement, lack of attention to surroundings, and .. wait for it ... running red lights by drivers behind the wheel than cyclists. Even statistically speaking, more drivers run lights than cyclists in any given hour, day, year, whatever.

Change the tune, it's old. And a dishonest argument.

The only reason more cars don't jumo red lights is physical numbers - 2 or 3 not unusual on my journey to work from carpenters town to merrion square. Cyclists break reds as well. So it's a pretty even match imho - although the taxi sailing through the Amber at Christchurch this morning caused a nasty accident with a bike.

This morning I cycled my child to school. 3 times we had to move people out of the cycle lane and on to the path. Ok if you're travelling slowly, as we were, but at 30kmh it can become dangerous. Same problem in the Phoenix park - joggers, dog walkers etc seem to prefer the cycle lane for some reason - there's a perfectly good path that runs parallel.

I have to say on the quays where I share bus lanes with buses and taxis I never have much hassle - Dublin bus drivers I have to say are generally have excellent awareness towards cyclists. Private bus operators and Bus Eireann not so. Taxi drivers are taxi drivers - expect the unexpected. I'll put myself mid-lane if turning right - this prevents a close over take or cutting in left to pick up a fare. You learn your lesson the hard way.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Dublin bus drivers I have to say are generally have excellent awareness towards cyclists.

Should probably mention I agree with this, for every one bad experience there's an abundance of good ones too. The bad ones just stand out unfortunately because they're less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I shouldn't be harassed or put in danger because of it.
    This is the problem. Most people have no idea that it's not a requirement to use a cycle lane/track. Similarly most people have no idea what it's like to cycle on these lanes/tracks. Potholes/gutters/drains/leaves/debris/glass/puddles/you-name-it. All are things that have to be contended with daily. It's easier to deal with then in a car, but on a bike these could easily land you on your face with an injury. The carriageway is often the smoothest, safest place to cycle, even with the hazard of cars.

That's not to mention the biggest nuisance in cycle lanes -- cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The only reason more cars don't jumo red lights is physical numbers - 2 or 3 not unusual on my journey to work from carpenters town to merrion square. Cyclists break reds as well. So it's a pretty even match imho - although the taxi sailing through the Amber at Christchurch this morning

No. No it's not a "pretty even match". Not by a long, long country mile. And that's just applying simple statistical probability and nothing else. The largest volume of road-users are using four wheels. And that's a large volume by a wild, wild order of magnitude vs. anything on two wheels, or four legs. So I'm not sure how you can even make such an assertion in the first place :-/

• Advertisement

No. No it's not a "pretty even match". Not by a long, long country mile. And that's just applying simple statistical probability and nothing else. The largest volume of road-users are using four wheels. And that's a large volume by a wild, wild order of magnitude vs. anything on two wheels, or four legs. So I'm not sure how you can even make such an assertion in the first place :-/

Pure observation I suppose. Almost every junction I pass on my commute has cars that either break the red lights or cram into the yellow box blocking all forms of traffic from moving. This is my own daily experience in Dublin anyway. As I said, cyclists break red lights and some don't. Cars break red lights as well - some don't.

Come on lads, don't bring the thread down this route...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Come on lads, don't bring the thread down this route...

Danjamin, you're not going to get satisfaction online save to get a rant off your chest because it just goes around in circles. You know the time, route, and date of the incident with the bus so I think you'd be better served putting in a complaint to Dublin Bus. Whilst the driver may p1ss & moan and call cyclists eco warriors and do an mmmcake/SparkySpitfire number with it, at the back of his mind he'll know he's been warned and adjust his driving, if not his personal attitude.

I'd also get in touch with the relevant county council about the state of disrepair regards the cycle lanes in question.

Other than that, there's not much else to say really other than that some road-users are total cockb1tes. Funnily enough, the worst people to find on roads are pedestrians. I've had more incidents with them than any other road-user in all my years cycling in Dublin, or driving in general anywhere in Ireland or the UK.

Danjamin, you're not going to get satisfaction online save to get a rant off your chest because it just goes around in circles. You know the time, route, and date of the incident with the bus so I think you'd be better served putting in a complaint to Dublin Bus.

Ah yeah, I know it's not going to achieve anything productive, I didn't get the route number as the bus pulled in behind me so couldn't make a complaint to Dublin Bus. It's good at the very least to have heard there's to be a request to some bus companies to work on attitudes to cyclists.

Regards mmmcake, I realised I had taken the bait as soon as I responded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

3 times we had to move people out of the cycle lane and on to the path. Ok if you're travelling slowly, as we were, but at 30kmh it can become dangerous.
    The Irony!
    Double standards at work.

• Advertisement

The Irony!
    Double standards at work.

What double standards? My comment related to cycling lanes being unsuitable for use when travelling at speed - you risk a pedestrian, jogger or someone else who shouldn't be in the lane causing a dangerous situation.

If I want to cycle fast and make up time, I'll use the roads as I'm legally entitled to do. Did you say you're a part time cyclist - surely you'd understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The only reason more cars don't jumo red lights is physical numbers - 2 or 3 not unusual on my journey to work from carpenters town to merrion square. Cyclists break reds as well. So it's a pretty even match imho - although the taxi sailing through the Amber at Christchurch this morning caused a nasty accident with a bike.

<snipped>.

How did that work then? Sounds like 2 light jumpers from that brief description,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Sean9015 wrote: »
    Re the bold - SO DO CYCLISTS IF THEY ARE ON THE ROAD. The Rukles of the Road apply to you to.

And yes, I did cycle through Dublin when I commuted. I was probably the only cyclist who obeyed the Rules of the Road in that regard. And I would make sure I blocked any cyclists from passing me on the road at a stop line if possible.

You want to cycle on the road? THEN OBEY THE RULES!!!!!

To be fair, I believe he meant that since buses need to stop at traffic lights so regularly on roads like the N11, the quoted 60kph speed was unrealistic. Not that cyclists don't need to stop at lights but that buses do TOO.

I think you are misunderstanding the post.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    How did that work then? Sounds like 2 light jumpers from that brief description,

Bike had a green light, taxi went through a flashing Orange filter light without stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Bike had a green light, taxi went through a flashing Orange filter light without stopping.

Never really driving that much in Dublin CC nowadays which light is flashing amber, can't figure it from Google maps all the lights I can see look either red/amber/green rather than flashing filter

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Wow you must be the only person who can see the colour of both traffic lights, most people can only see the colour of the one facing them..

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Never really driving that much in Dublin CC nowadays which light is flashing amber, can't figure it from Google maps all the lights I can see look either red/amber/green rather than flashing filter

It's the left hand filter lane coming up from Patrick's cathedral turning left toward the Guinness brewery. I checked this out myself and it is indeed a green arrow. So perhaps not an amber arrow, I'm sure it was and there's another such junction past dublinia as you meet they quays.

So by deduction heres the sequence of events:

I'm at the front of the traffic, haven come from the direction of the Guinness brewery stopped at a red light and turning right going towards Patrick's church.

Traffic coming against me (cars, bikes etc) coming from jury's is going through the junction at a green light.

Taxi hits cyclist as he passes the filter lane - there's a car immediately behind the cyclist. It has to be green, because I'm familiar with the junction and the light equence- when the traffic lights coming from jury's direction go red, we are next. We don't get a green for perhaps another 10 seconds or so.

I'm not sure what the taxi driver did to get in that situation, but I'm pretty sure the cyclist wasn't breaking a red light.

Wow you must be the only person who can see the colour of both traffic lights, most people can only see the colour of the one facing them..

No, but I know if I'm stopped at a red, it's reasonable to assume the lights on the other side are green. Read my reply to spook above before diving in, eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Next incident was with the same bus on the N11 leading down to the UCD flyover. With the rain yesterday the cycle lane (which is in terrible condition on a good day) was riddled with puddles covering any cracks or potholes so I opted for the Bus lane as the safer choice. The same driver pulled closely behind me honking his horn & then proceeded to pull in to the bus stop behind me.

last time I checked that is a manditory cycle lane (solid white line), so you were in the wrong in this situation.
    if you're not happy with the condition of the cycle lanes take it up with the NTA or other relevant authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing worse than a ignoramus selfish individual who knows how to remedy their problem, but wont.
    Even when they are physically blocked, by road works or broken down (I assume broken down as they have their hazards on :rolleyes: )? As I've had the same experience as the OP when it's clear, or at least should be to anyone paying proper attention, to vehicle drivers why I am on the road rather than the cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

last time I checked that is a manditory cycle lane (solid white line), so you were in the wrong in this situation.
    if you're not happy with the condition of the cycle lanes take it up with the NTA or other relevant authority.

yawn.

Mandatory cycle lane use was repealed a number of years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mandatory in that context means motorised vehicles aren't allowed to use them, not that cyclist have to use them.

I'm open to correction on this one but as far as I'm aware there's no such thing as a mandatory cycle lane. The solid white line means traffic is not supposed to cross in to it, it doesn't mean cyclists have to use it.

Incorrect

I'm open to correction on this one but as far as I'm aware there's no such thing as a mandatory cycle lane. The solid white line means traffic is not supposed to cross in to it, it doesn't mean cyclists have to use it.

Cycle lanes can only be mandatory if A) in a pedestrian area or B) contraflow.

JayRoc wrote: »
    Cycle lanes can only be mandatory if A) in a pedestrian area or B) contraflow.

Thanks for clarifying that, funnily enough I've never actually come across an on road contraflow cycle lane! The pedestrian area ones I was aware of though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Sorry but beeping at a cyclist who has every right to be there is the selfish ignoramus, there is nothing special about you because you choose to drive, that the road should be cleared for you, it is everyone's road not just yours, learn to share it.

Ouch, better to not call right or wrong till you know the actual rules yourself, solid line means other roadusers can't enter it doesn't mean cyclists are under any obligation to cycle in it .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/372750165666316288

• Advertisement

Doesn't surprise me standard of driving ability or road awareness amongst taxi drivers in general is shockingly bad, I had one myself today he was stopped picking up a fare so I went to go around him, as I'm alongside him he starts to drive off, I move to just in front of him still on his outside and he accelerates and under takes me on the inside, inches from me. Taxi drivers should have to do advanced driver training IMO

Advertisement