Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude in the bus lane

Options
  • 17-12-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

As a cyclist I'm getting tired of the attitude of some drivers in the bus lane. There's a lot of impatience on the Dublin roads when it comes to this. I'll preface this by saying I don't make a habit of adamantly cycling in the bus lane, if there's a cycle lane that's comfortable to use & easily accessible I'll use it, but otherwise I'll take to the road.

I've had drivers (who shouldn't be in the bus lane in the first place) tailgating closely & honking their horn, bus drivers making very close passes, also tailgating closely and honking their horn & taxi drivers doing the same. Not all drivers I might add, there's plenty of very considerate ones, but some would really try your patience.

Yesterday evening was a particular pain, it was a very wet & dark evening & I was cycling southbound on the N11 from town via Donnybrook. Cue a taxi driver honking his horn behind me even though the traffic was stopped at a red light 20 yards up the road.

Following this there was the bus that blocked me actually moving up to the off road cycle lane outside Donnybrook church & then closely overtaking me outside RTE only to cut across me to pull in to a bus stop immediately. Next incident was with the same bus on the N11 leading down to the UCD flyover. With the rain yesterday the cycle lane (which is in terrible condition on a good day) was riddled with puddles covering any cracks or potholes so I opted for the Bus lane as the safer choice. The same driver pulled closely behind me honking his horn & then proceeded to pull in to the bus stop behind me. The rest of the cycle home passed without any other incident.

That's just one journey, this kind of behaviour is a frequent occurrence for cyclists.

I don't want anyone to think I was purposely antagonising any other road users here, I was trying to get home as safely as possible in poor conditions. I just don't see the point in having such a poor attitude towards another road user. I was doing nothing wrong, I had my lights on my bike & I was wearing a hi-viz jacket & a helmet. I wasn't crawling along either, I was doing easily 30km/h. I stick to the rules as well, never run red lights, always signal before I move out to a lane. My use of the bus lane was based solely on either not being able to get on to the cycle path or the cycle path being in a poor condition & it was only for as long as necessary.

This kind of attitude on the roads is a daily occurrence that I for one am sick of. It's incredibly inconsiderate & dangerous.

Also I didn't get the bus route or registration number so I can't report them to Dublin Bus, hence this rant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you need a helmet cam and to report it. You'll get no satisfaction ranting on here about it (and shortly half a dozen people will post blaming you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    My use of the bus lane was based solely on either not being able to get on to the cycle path

How, is the cycle path fenced off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Often happens on the quays. Usually it'll happen when there's heavy traffic and a driver will go into the bus lane and tear down the inside to turn left, rather than waiting til it's OK to merge at the dashed line. Usually done with fast jerky movements, which I suppose is my main gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I would never use the N11 cycling in and out of town. Try the Rock Road/Merrion Road route which has some relatively quiet bus lanes and no off road cycle paths.

Also much fewer buses!!

The problem with the N11 (or any route with parallel off road cycle tracks) is that bus drivers, taxis, cars ect expect you to use the cycle lane even though you may have very good reasons for not cycling on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

mmmcake wrote: »
    How, is the cycle path fenced off?

The bus cut off the access point to the cycle path by pulling in the way of it.
    Seaswimmer wrote: »
    The problem with the N11 (or any route with parallel off road cycle tracks) is that bus drivers, taxis, cars ect expect you to use the cycle lane even though you may have very good reasons for not cycling on it..

I understand, but it's definitely not an excuse to act dangerously on the road and should never be excused as such, especially for a public service vehicle that's on the road all day long.

There's no resolution to be found online, but it definitely helps get it off the chest by having a quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sorry, you're complaining about drivers being in the Bus Lane when they shouldn't while admitting to doing the same thing. And you're also complaining about taxi and bus drivers ( who have every right to be in the bus Lane) honking you when again you're using the bus Lane when there's an off road cycle lane available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Cyclists have every right to cycle in bus lanes.
    Other users of the bus lane shouldn't honk users of the bus lane.

No, I'm complaining about a lack of courtesy and dangerous driving. As I said I was blocked from getting to the off-road cycle lane by a bus. If you'll also notice most bus lanes also have a bicycle symbol on them, cyclists are allowed to use bus lanes. I'm not getting in to that argument with anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

As a cyclist I'm getting tired of the attitude of some drivers in the bus lane. There's a lot of impatience on the Dublin roads when it comes to this. I'll preface this by saying I don't make a habit of adamantly cycling in the bus lane, if there's a cycle lane that's comfortable to use & easily accessible I'll use it, but otherwise I'll take to the road.

I've had drivers (who shouldn't be in the bus lane in the first place) tailgating closely & honking their horn, bus drivers making very close passes, also tailgating closely and honking their horn & taxi drivers doing the same. Not all drivers I might add, there's plenty of very considerate ones, but some would really try your patience.

Yesterday evening was a particular pain, it was a very wet & dark evening & I was cycling southbound on the N11 from town via Donnybrook. Cue a taxi driver honking his horn behind me even though the traffic was stopped at a red light 20 yards up the road.

Following this there was the bus that blocked me actually moving up to the off road cycle lane outside Donnybrook church & then closely overtaking me outside RTE only to cut across me to pull in to a bus stop immediately. Next incident was with the same bus on the N11 leading down to the UCD flyover. With the rain yesterday the cycle lane (which is in terrible condition on a good day) was riddled with puddles covering any cracks or potholes so I opted for the Bus lane as the safer choice. The same driver pulled closely behind me honking his horn & then proceeded to pull in to the bus stop behind me. The rest of the cycle home passed without any other incident.

That's just one journey, this kind of behaviour is a frequent occurrence for cyclists.

I don't want anyone to think I was purposely antagonising any other road users here, I was trying to get home as safely as possible in poor conditions. I just don't see the point in having such a poor attitude towards another road user. I was doing nothing wrong, I had my lights on my bike & I was wearing a hi-viz jacket & a helmet. I wasn't crawling along either, I was doing easily 30km/h. I stick to the rules as well, never run red lights, always signal before I move out to a lane. My use of the bus lane was based solely on either not being able to get on to the cycle path or the cycle path being in a poor condition & it was only for as long as necessary.

This kind of attitude on the roads is a daily occurrence that I for one am sick of. It's incredibly inconsiderate & dangerous.

Also I didn't get the bus route or registration number so I can't report them to Dublin Bus, hence this rant.

Everyone that drives should be made to cycle at least one day a year. Until you cycle and see the state of cycle lanes , the ridiculous idea of having them up on the path so you have to stop at every junction, or traffic lights that you press the button and nothing happens for up to 5 minutes.
    If drivers realised how dangerous their behaviour is and that cyclists have just as much right to be on the road as anyone else, they might change their attitude, but the only way I can see is to make them all cycle even for one day a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Sorry, you're complaining about drivers being in the Bus Lane when they shouldn't while admitting to doing the same thing. And you're also complaining about taxi and bus drivers ( who have every right to be in the bus Lane) honking you when again you're using the bus Lane when there's an off road cycle lane available?

You are perfectly entitled to use the road including a bus lane even if there is a cycle lane provided, people do it because generally it is safer, easier, cleaner, has less broken glass, has a better well kept surface, you don't have to stop and yield at every junction etc etc

• Advertisement

For the record here, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT trying to start a motorist vs cyclist vs everyone else argument/debate here, I was just voicing my disapproval of inconsiderate road behaviour I've experienced that could be considered dangerous. Mods feel free to close if it starts down that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Danjamin1 wrote:
    No, I'm complaining about a lack of courtesy and dangerous driving. As I said I was blocked from getting to the off-road cycle lane by a bus. If you'll also notice most bus lanes also have a bicycle symbol on them, cyclists are allowed to use bus lanes. I'm not getting in to that argument with anyone.

Ok sorry for the confusion. I am aware that cyclists are allowed in most bus lanes in the same way that most drivers are allowed in them after certain time however if there's an off road cycle lane available you'd be better off using it when you can to save yourself the hassle.

Ok sorry for the confusion. I am aware that cyclists are allowed in most bus lanes in the same way that most drivers are allowed in them after certain time however if there's an off road cycle lane available you'd be better off using it when you can to save yourself the hassle.

I agree to some extent in relation to the off-road cycle lanes, they can be in particularly poor condition in some sections of road though. I do try to use them where possible. No issue whatsoever with people using bus lanes during the hours they're supposed to, it's when you have someone looking to cut right up the line of traffic during rush hour to save a couple of seconds that it bothers me. Even then I only really mind if they start driving impatiently/dangerously to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

If they stop at the red ask them to explain why they needed to be at a red light 3 seconds earlier (easier on a warm day when they've windows down) cue eh eh eh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

I am a bus driver,a very courteous one at that when I am travelling behind or alongside cyclists but I must add(not all of them) are absolute maniacs with no thought for themselves or any other road user.i see it every day especially in Rathmines which is mayhem with cyclists cutting out in front of you,squeezing through narrowest gaps in moving traffic,breaking red lights and more or less disobeying every rule of the road they possibly can.There are some good cyclists out there I may add also but for the lunatics they will have a very nasty accident one day just because they are trying to save a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Cannot stand when there's a cyclist in the bus lane who won't let the bus pass. Often happens on the 84 route.

Bus load of people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lone cyclist

Feel free to nail me to the cross, I couldn't care less as a pedestrian and public transport user...I hate cyclists.

Edit: also have no time for cars who think they can use the bus lane as a **** you to all other road users in rush hour traffic when they've no right to be there either.

No, I'm complaining about a lack of courtesy
    Pot.Kettle.Black
    Why did you not wait for a few seconds and use the bike lane at donnybrook?
    We have all been on bus held up by some A-hole on a bike in the bus lane, why not move out of the way for 2 seconds and let the bus full of people pass?
    I'll tell you why, these A-holes are losers and by holding up a bus full of people it makes them feel powerful and important. Sad ignorant insignificant A-holes, thats all they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

I cycle at a speed of around 30-40kph. Would you want me cycling in this 'bike lane' beside your kids/grandparents ect at that speed?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3172193,-6.2291906,3a,75y,107h,82.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srKiXTV6oSb3SMIhM1xuQnw!2e0?hl=en

I don't. I cycle in the bus lane were it's far safer for everybody. Trust me, I don't hold anybody up. Mind you I still get all the hassle from taxi's, bus drivers and bus lane encroachers that the op experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Fair play for posting op but I don't think anything will come of this route. Better off complaining to Dublin Bus I'd say. This will just turn into another cyclist v motorist debate.

There would be no issues if people were to treat other road users with respect and realize an extra minute or two on the bus/in the car isn't the end of the world. Same applies to cyclists who insist on cycling on footpaths, breaking red lights etc.

Most drivers, pedestrians and cyclist cause no issues its just the idiots in each category that we all notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Cannot stand when there's a cyclist in the bus lane who won't let the bus pass. Often happens on the 84 route.

Feel free to nail me to the cross, I couldn't care less as a pedestrian and public transport user...I hate cyclists.

Edit: also have no time for cars who think they can use the bus lane as a **** you to all other road users in rush hour traffic when they've no right to be there either.

They should really ban cyclists from using bus lanes on the N11. If somebody isn't happy with the quality of the cycle lane provided, then they should be forced to take their chances on the actual road instead - block cars, rather than buses. Of course, that wouldn't be acceptable. Yet it's totally fine to block a vehicle carrying up to 90 passengers.

Also, there's no valid reason why taxis should be allowed in bus lanes either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

mrbike wrote: »
    I cycle at a speed of around 30-40kph. Would you want me cycling in this 'bike lane' beside your kids/grandparents ect at that speed?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3172193,-6.2291906,3a,75y,107h,82.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srKiXTV6oSb3SMIhM1xuQnw!2e0?hl=en

I don't. I cycle in the bus lane were it's far safer for everybody. Trust me, I don't hold anybody up. Mind you I still get all the hassle from taxi's, bus drivers and bus lane encroachers that the op experiences.

Yes I would because that's what it's for. Pedestrians should keep to the path and mind their own surroundings so they don't get themselves hurt. Likewise to cars staying in their lanes, buses staying in theirs and cyclists staying in theirs.

What's the point of cycle lanes if no one uses them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've experienced similar things with cyclists, as a pedestrian.

One time, I was hit by a cyclist while I was walking on a FOOTPATH.

People are dicks, deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

Have a look again. That 'bike lane' is shared with the footpath. There's hardly room to do so, but that's the way we design bike lanes in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

What do you propose a cyclist needs to do when there is a bus behind them? Get off and wait on the footpath until the bus passes and do so every time?

I find that when a bus overtakes me, I overtake it again a bit later when it is at a stop or junction. I doubt very much that cycles are the cause for slow traffic anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yes I would because that's what it's for. Pedestrians should keep to the path and mind their own surroundings so they don't get themselves hurt. Likewise to cars staying in their lanes, buses staying in theirs and cyclists staying in theirs.

You've obviously never used such a "cycle lane" before then!

I cycle at moderate speed (~20kmph) and last time I cycled in such a lane there were pedestrians spilling into the bike lane every hundred metres or so. Nowhere to overtake them, short of falling down the kerb. When I ring the bell the pedestrians get shocked and irate. Got called a prick once, so that was nice.

They don't work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No, it's nowhere near the "same way that most drivers are allowed in them after certain times" -- cycling is allowed in most bus lanes 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pot.Kettle.Black
    Why did you not wait for a few seconds and use the bike lane at donnybrook?
    We have all been on bus held up by some A-hole on a bike in the bus lane, why not move out of the way for 2 seconds and let the bus full of people pass?
    I'll tell you why, these A-holes are losers and by holding up a bus full of people it makes them feel powerful and important. Sad ignorant insignificant A-holes, thats all they really are.

Wow.

Just, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I cycle at a similar pace as you. I never use the cycle lane here. But I would go out this road around 7am. There isn't much traffic around at that stage.

The cyclelane between RTE and the UCD flyover is horrendous. Only those who have cycled it will understand.

I cycle at a speed of around 30-40kph.

60kph is the bus lane speed,so you admit to slowing the bus down to 30kph, pathetic behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I cycle at a speed of around 30-40kph.
    60kph is the bus lane speed,so you admit to slowing the bus down to 30kph, pathetic behaviour.

60km around the city centre???? I don't think so!!!!!!!

Advertisement