Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rich people richer poor people poorer

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

That is simply ridiculous - provide some facts to back that bolded part, not 'service station' anecdotes. I'm just going to ignore future posts absent that.

CSO report from 2006 that states that there were 420,000 non EU nationals living in Ireland, pursuant to the census at that time. The report is 9 years old, I can't say whether the figures have gone up or down but 420,000 is not a small number.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/NON,IRISH,NATONALS,LIVING,IN,IRELAND.pdf

You genuinely seem afraid of debate here. Are the governments of the UK, Canada, Australia, all wrong because they identify this as a problem that creates an imbalance between indigenous jobs that are available in their respective jurisdictions, and the pool of people who are available to fulfill the same jobs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

I am rich so this is good news to me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CSO report from 2006 that states that there were 420,000 non EU nationals living in Ireland, pursuant to the census at that time. The report is 9 years old, I can't say whether the figures have gone up or down but 420,000 is not a small number.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/NON,IRISH,NATONALS,LIVING,IN,IRELAND.pdf

You genuinely seem afraid of debate here. Are the governments of the UK, Canada, Australia, all wrong because they identify this as a problem that creates an imbalance between indigenous jobs that are available in their respective jurisdictions, and the pool of people who are available to fulfill the same jobs?

That says 420k total non-Irish, not 420k non-EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So how do you explain so many people working here doing casual jobs, who are from non EU countries, when we have an unemployment rate stuck at over 10%?

A Irish moron with a username aping a Victorian English aristocrat complaining about economic migrants.

Delicious ironing is delicious.

That says 420k total non-Irish, not 420k non-EU.

I don't know what the breakdown is, I don't need a CSO report to tell me the blinding fúcking obvious like the last poster seems to need.

• Advertisement

A Irish moron with a username aping a Victorian English aristocrat complaining about economic migrants.

Delicious ironing is delicious.

You should stick to having sex with monkeys as your username suggests. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

halkar wrote: »
    Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!

Said the product of privilege and a carousing multi millionaire :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It is far from plain ignorance. Are the governments of Australia and Canada plain ignorant too because they tightly manage immigration, when they don't even have an unemployment problem???

Am I imagining that every service station I've been in in Dublin has non EU nationals working there? We are under no obligation whatsoever to accept immigration from non EU countries, we choose to do so and I don't understand why we chose to do this when we have national unemployment of over 10%, it is downright silly.

By the way, 4-5% unemployment is not 'full employment', or anywhere close to it, full employment is 0% unemployment. My point being that even when there was no shortage of work here in this country, we had 5% of the workforce who just didn't want to work.

Plenty of Irish too when I walk into these stations. Notice that the non nationals do the early shifts alright. No shortage of work? Wouldn't go that far now. 4 to 5% is not a good unemployment stat. So what's germanys? Also its not just Irish people standing in the queue in the dole office

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The 10% are surely almost/all on the dole. So no increase from extra dole or getting a job coupled with water charge leads to 1%drop. Tax breaks and reducing tax rates can only benefit those who actually pay tax by working.

These figures are not as unfair as they appear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...it appears as if there is a serious shortage of jobs in this country when there actually isn't...

Regardless of where one stands on unemployment, immigration, or the effect of that on the employment stats...the above sentence has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on Boards.ie in a long, long time.

Advertisement