Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Gay lobby have a monopoly on discrimination?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Daith wrote: »
    So just because it happens to other people all the time you should roll over and accept it? If a disabled person got a person of the year award would you be complaining?

There were other factors like the Iona Institute suing and RTE paying €85,000 to various people.

The real reason is that Rory O'Neill is an intelligent person and was able to turn being sued from six different people into something else and he took advantage of it.

You have made very good points. If a disabled person/or an other minority group got an award and broke some kind of boundaries even within their own particular group I would have no problem with it.

But for someone from any group to get award for been called hurtful names is more then a bit silly.

Your point about the Iona institute episode is a very good one which I had not considered.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

But for someone from any group to get award for been called hurtful names is more then a bit silly.

Well that wasn't the reason he got the award so we all good yeah? Panti's speech was about homophobia and being called names was one part of it. In fact his speech was only one part of why he got the award.

Again though if you're on the street and you're called a fag or bum boy and just thought it was fine and silly and you accept it fair enough.

I presume you're ok with every other winner of the awards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I think the whole gay thing is getting out of hand, its funny really they say they want to basically fit in yet they stand out so much, i think the best thing for all concerned is for everybody to just go about their own business and pass no remarks and all the hype will die down and everyone will be the better for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

jezzer wrote: »
    I think the whole gay thing is getting out of hand, its funny really they say they want to basically fit in yet they stand out so much, i think the best thing for all concerned is for everybody to just go about their own business and pass no remarks and all the hype will die down and everyone will be the better for it

Who are 'they'? Do you mean every single gay person ever wants to stand out? That can't be possible. Not every gay person is a drag queen or an attention seeker. Is Katherine Zappone standing out for the sake of it in the Seanad?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How are you identifying the gay people who DON'T stand out .... if you aren't, how are you determining the % of the whole gay community who do?

Serious question...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

You know, that would be absolutely wonderful. If two gay men could walk down the road holding hands without receiving verbal abuse then we would all better off for it. Unfortunately that isnt the case so people like Rory will continue to speak out about it and, god forbid, receive awards for doing so. And in a fabulous dress to boot.

Well that wasn't the reason he got the award so we all good yeah? Panti's speech was about homophobia and being called names was one part of it. In fact his speech was only one part of why he got the award.

Again though if you're on the street and you're called a fag or bum boy and just thought it was fine and silly and you accept it fair enough.

I presume you're ok with every other winner of the awards?

Well if he did some good in his community he deserved the award. But the impression I got was it was very tenuous admittedly I did only see a bit of that section and did not see the other award winners.

I never said it ok to be called a fag or bum boy. My point was people who are different and called minority groups are regularly called names too. But it does not mean that the victims of abuse deserve awards for it.

David Norris made heavy emphasis of the name calling aspect.

If the the guy deserved the award and it was of benefit to his community fair dues. But otherwise I do not see why the speech deserved an award.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've just deleted a load of posts for the very thing that was warned was off topic

No more off topic posts on speed traps

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Well if he did some good in his community he deserved the award. But the impression I got was it was very tenuous admittedly I did only see a bit of that section and did not see the...

well then you need to pay more attention. His speech achieved worldwide acclaim. Every time that somebody stands up and says such behaviour is not acceptable it helps everybody who receives such abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Beano wrote: »
    You know, that would be absolutely wonderful. If two gay men could walk down the road holding hands without receiving verbal abuse then we would all better off for it. Unfortunately that isnt the case so people like Rory will continue to speak out about it and, god forbid, receive awards for doing so. And in a fabulous dress to boot.

I absolutely love the fact that Iona and John Waters small time victory against RTE has now led to a drag queen getting a person of the year award.

I honestly can't wait in 10 years time to watch Reeling in the Years 2014.
    But it does not mean that the victims of abuse deserve awards for it..

Ok so!
    But the impression I got was it was very tenuous admittedly I did only see a bit of that section and did not see the other award winners.

So you didn't watch the full show, but just felt outraged that some gay person got an award for being called names, then created a topic about it complaining that gays were getting awards and other groups weren't and you couldn't even be bothered watching the full show?

So if you are concerned that much about other groups, why did you just watch the part about the drag queen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm not a bigot homophobe and i learned a lot from Panti's speech too. Not just about sexuality but how my words and actions affect others....

So you didn't watch the full show, but just felt outraged that some gay person got an award for being called names, then created a topic about it complaining that gays were getting awards and other groups weren't and you couldn't even be bothered watching the full show?

So if you are concerned that much about other groups, why did you just watch the part about the drag queen?

It was not the fact that the person was gay that was an irrelevance. It was the fact the main tenet of it seemed to be that x person was demeaned by mainstream society ergo deserves an award.

I was not complaining how a gay person got the award others should have got the award. I was struck by the amount of fuss that was made and how much attention it seemed to get. Then Fry and Norris added their bit too. It just seemed very tenuous to me to get so much attention. Just my opinion.

As for not even bothering to watch the full show I was walking around the house at the time as someone else was watching it.

But you yourself have stated:
    I absolutely love the fact that Iona and John Waters small time victory against RTE has now led to a drag queen getting a person of the year award.

I honestly can't wait in 10 years time to watch Reeling in the Year 2014

So perhaps this is the real reason why the award was given rather then any actual achievement to get an award in the first place?.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    <inappropriate comment snipped>

oh dear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree. We should enforce a ban on all hetereosxuality pdas and heterosexuality being flaunted in our faces every day.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I agree. We should enforce a ban on all hetereosxuality pdas and heterosexuality being flaunted in our faces every day.

here here. i find it quite sickening.

well said, this hetro stuff is everywhere, its just so wrong

Originally Posted by jezzer

In fairness that Rory guy was not in his panti bliss armour. He was dressed like a civilian, yet got verbally abused at traffic lights.

In fairness that Rory guy was not in his panti bliss armour. He was dressed like a civilian, yet got verbally abused at traffic lights.

Ah yea, well thats not on but not sure of the point of your post?

Ah yea, well thats not on but not sure of the point of your post?

In other words he was not "standing out" but still got verbally abused.

In other words he was not "standing out" but still got verbally abused.

it was wrong and i'm not defending it or anything but it was probably because he had previously stood out, but of course it was wrong

• Advertisement

it was wrong and i'm not defending it or anything but it was probably because he had previously stood out, but of course it was wrong

no you're not defending it. But you are blaming him for standing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Wez wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing! It was mentioned that perhaps that's part of why LGBT campaigning is so successful, but when it was denied that they are flamboyant (sorry, wasn't even denied, they were just called stupid) I felt perhaps they would like to know where people get that idea.

And which is another reason for the stupidity of the post. Do you really think anybody went "I'm not too sure about gay marriage, but that Graham Norton guy wears some pretty flamboyant shirts so it must be ok".

There are many reasons why lgbt rights issues have made progress in recent years, and I'd be happy to discuss them in another thread.

This thread however is a blatant effort by the OP to have some sort of dig, so there is little point in trying to engage with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bald people should wear hats so they're not flaunting their baldness in public.

I know a bald guy who got abuse in public once. He was wearing a hat at the time but had previously been hatless so he invited it on himself I think.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How are you identifying the gay people who DON'T stand out .... if you aren't, how are you determining the % of the whole gay community who do?

Serious question...

Perhaps you missed my question ;)

Beano wrote: »
    no you're not defending it. But you are blaming him for standing out.

I'm not blaming him for anything but i think its best for society if everyone keeps to themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm not blaming him for anything but i think its best for society if everyone keeps to themselves

Let's all wear grey jumpsuits so no one stands out

efb wrote: »
    Let's all wear grey jumpsuits so no one stands out

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

yes

Best die our hair and wear contacts to change eye colour to all the same.

What do we do about height and weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Keeps to themselves?

Attention humans.

Stay indoors.

Do not attempt social contact.

• Advertisement

blaming him is exactly what you are doing. if he hadnt brought attention to himself then he wouldnt have been abused. That is what you are saying, right?

Advertisement