Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Gay lobby have a monopoly on discrimination?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭

When I saw a bit of the Irish people of the year awards and Panti Bliss got an award. I was thinking oh it must have been something amazing. Stephen Fry and David Norris were wheeled out. It was all a big celebration.

What was the award given for? A speech about how abuse was hurled at him at traffic lights in town!

I decided to look it up nothing major was said
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-26075280

I thought about this and wondered about how little coverage other minority groups receive -

1) Travellers - in contrast they do not receive any positive press. Mainly do to lack of infiltration to the national media. Also travelers do not end up having the same educational opportunities.

2) Minority racial groups - in Ireland the profile has increased people know that racism is wrong since the Cosby show in the 1980's so nothing new there. Old news. Sean O Halpin, Jayo and Lee Chin have helped enlighten Irish minds further in the GAA. Much like what Donal Og Cusack has done for the Gay community.

3) People with disabilities - very low profile in the national media it is almost an afterthought because there are no real votes in it. Maybe medical cards that is about it.

If Panti Bliss was in any other of these three minority groups above would it have attracted as much attention? To say that someone hurled abuse at a traveller/disabled person/or minority race does not seem trendy enough for the national media.

Granted everybody wants to be treated equally. But why is it the case that one group in particular seems to get all the airtime for the most innocuous of things.

The only lobby in Ireland that I can think of that is louder is the Taxi Union of Ireland!

It is the disproportionate volume that one group gets over another that annoys me. A monopoly on playing the oppressed victim.

Edit: I am not against a gay person getting an award. What I was amazed was how little it took to get the award. I was also wondering how other groups could learn from the LGBT community in terms of promotion and advocacy. But I am annoyed about how the level of interest by the LGBT is disproportionate in comparison to what other minority groups receive. I wanted to try and figure out the reasons.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I don't agree that 'they' get disproportionate attention but in contrast to the other categories you mention, maybe there's an element of novelty, for want of a better word, of a community finally coming into the mainstream, as it were, as the country finally grows up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Maybe because they contribute more to society than the other groups? I'm not saying that in a sneering way, just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I wish Don Kedick would share his views on this topic. Always, so clear, so understandable. Ireland needs more Don Kedicks.

To answer the OP: It probably has something to do with proximity. I don't have any figures, but maybe the stereotypical Irish people know more people who are gay or part of the LGBT scene than we know of Travellers, people with disabilities, or minority racial groups? We connect more with that group in society than the others you have listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The People of the Year Awards, organised by Rehab, provide a unique opportunity for the Irish public to honour those who have made a real difference to people's lives, whether as unsung heroes or household names.
    How many travelers, minority race members or disabled people have made a real difference to people's lives this year? And rather than complaining about "teh gheys", why aren't you annoyed that these other people didn't win?

Panti didn't get it for a single speech. He got it because of the work he's done this year raising the profile of the gay community and attacking those individuals and institutions who have abused their positions to spread homophobia.

Joanne O'Riordan won the same award two years ago. So it would be a fallacy to think that one minority group have a monopoly on everything, regardless of your own personal prejudice in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't recall interest groups vocally campaigning against the other groups mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I see there's a new Monopoly game out now where you buy the worlds leading brands instead of property!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maybe because they contribute more to society than the other groups? I'm not saying that in a sneering way, just speculating.

There might be some argument to that.

But I feel mainly it is because (despite the lack of numbers) is because there are a lot of people from the gay community in the media. So a positive spin can always be created at every opportunity.

Other minority groups do not have this luxury I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I agree with the op. I think it sucks that so many minority groups with huge disadvantage and even discrimination aimed at them get so little airtime. It's great that one of those groups managed to get the attention necessary to demand their very rights, and to demand that people stop treating them like second class citizens. I wish every one of those groups had the same amount of airtime as gay people, and I wish they all had even more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No they don't have a monopoly, but some are far too quick to play the discrimination card when all they've encountered is basic personal dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If somebody from a minority group could have had someone with a sense of entrepreneurship and able to make profit in a niche market while showing themselves to be a family person, then Patrick The Pipe Bomber should have got the award.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No they don't have a monopoly, but some are far too quick to play the discrimination card when all they've encountered is basic personal dislike.

Have you any specific examples of that?

I would merit campaigning against equal rights for them more than a "personal dislike"

padd b1975 wrote: »

Imagine sueing a TV show and getting payed out for someone indirectly saying that thought you were being homophobic- that's playing the discrimination card!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

seamus wrote: »
    How many travelers, minority race members or disabled people have made a real difference to people's lives this year? And rather than complaining about "teh gheys", why aren't you annoyed that these other people didn't win?

Panti didn't get it for a single speech. He got it because of the work he's done this year raising the profile of the gay community and attacking those individuals and institutions who have abused their positions to spread homophobia.

Joanne O'Riordan won the same award two years ago. So it would be a fallacy to think that one minority group have a monopoly on everything, regardless of your own personal prejudice in this regard.

From what I saw there was heavy emaphize on Panti Bliss' speech.

Joanne O'Riordan is an exception to the rule (a documentary had a lot to with this) . There are plenty of other people who are vocal about the rights of the Gay Community. Radio presenters, intellectuals people involved in the arts and culture etc.

The reason why you think no travellers made any difference to peoples lives is because they are not publicized. The only positives I can think of are the Traveller actors in love hate.
    Who knows they might have inspired others to act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They gave David Joyce, barrister and traveller, an award in 2005 for his work promoting traveller's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

You do know that equality isn't a finite resource?

Instead of starting a thread wondering if one group stole it all or something, why not ask how or why has the LGBT community advanced their cause so well in recent years, and whether there is anything other disadvantaged groups can learn from that or utilise to advance their own causes.

Or what you can be doing better to advance the interests of the other groups you mentioned.

You are doing something to advance the interests of those other groups OP, aren't you?

You are interested in furthering equality for all, rather than complaining that one group is making good progress towards equality? That could hardly be a bad thing, could it?

Edit - while I can't speak for other groups, I would imagine that speech would resonate with other minority groups given how well it illustrated the pervasive nature of discrimination.

Also, if somebody was censored and threatened with legal action for calling out racism, then I imagine they would get a lot of attention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm sure he has done a lot of good work fo gay rights over the years and I wouldn't be that familiar with his work, but there is a certian sense of 'Obama wins Nobel Peace prize' about this win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

They gave David Joyce, barrister and traveller, an award in 2005 for his work promoting traveller's rights.

I'm guessing the OP's issue isn't that members of other named groups didn't get awards, but that someone who is LGBT did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is the Gay Lobby where they agree on the Homosexual Agenda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

lazygal wrote: »
    Is the Gay Lobby where they agree on the Homosexual Agenda?
    It's where we get snacks and drinks before going into the Gay Theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the OP's issue isn't that members of other named groups didn't get awards, but that someone who is LGBT did.

Fairly damning assumption to make. Op has been very clear in their posts. If there is indeed an ulterior motive they haven't shown much to imply one exists. All we have to go on is their word which they've been very direct with Imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 nlk

I think if people with disabilities, travellers, or anyone for that matter was prohibited by the state from marrying who they wanted we'd hear just as much about it in the media.

Celebrating one good cause doesn't detract from others. The vast majority of community, voluntary, special interest and charitable groups applaud the achievements and successes of other groups because they recognise that a step towards equality in any sphere is better for everyone in society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

erm, the mere categorisation of homosexuality as a minority grouped with travellers and the disabled is an insult to all three groups. does nobody else find this question tantamount to being a racist homophobic biggot all in one????

homelessness seems to be flavour of the week. why didnt you couple in homosexuality with that also???

and the answer is clearly not. politically correct people who drive stories of discrimination and go looking for offensiveness in every crevace are the ones who have the monopoly.

Now, i know most of you wont have the courage to share this on your facebook page for even one hour but it will definitely make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Fairly damning assumption to make. Op has been very clear in their posts. If there is indeed an ulterior motive they haven't shown much to imply one exists. All we have to go on is their word which they've been very direct with Imo.
    Really? The OP has never heard of Panti's speech and twice explicitly played down the level of discrimination faced by the Irish LGBT community (which apparently is just "the most innocuous of things"). He also, again explicitly, complained about this community "playing the oppressed victim". There's not much 'sub' in the subtext here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A monopoly on playing the oppressed victim.

I'm unaware of any well-funded groups out there who are actively campaigning to stop travellers or disabled people from getting married.

Gay people certainly don't have as hard a time of it as they used to (it used to be illegal in this country for f*ck's sake!) but they do have the likes of the Iona Institute who threaten their way onto the airwaves and spew their bigoted nonsense - we even have the BAI saying that opponents of gay marriage must be on air to counter any person who mentions it in a postivie light on air even when it's not a debate programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Links234 wrote: »
    It's where we get snacks and drinks before going into the Gay Theater

It's a rather fabulous foyer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Oh my god how dare those terrible gay people think they should be treated equally to everyone else. I'm truly outraged:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Gay people certainly don't have as hard a time of it as they used to (it used to be illegal in this country for f*ck's sake!) but they do have the likes of the Iona Institute who threaten their way onto the airwaves and spew their bigoted nonsense - we even have the BAI saying that opponents of gay marriage must be on air to counter any person who mentions is on air even when it's not a debate programme.

I'm not gay, disabled or a traveller, but huge corporations prevent the legal use of cannabis, which negatively affects the way many people live their lives. They are a lot more powerful than your church going crowd too. Besides, you're not thrown in jail for smoking a c0ck these days..

It would be the same, if the tables were turned and you had someone on talking about opposing gay marriage, they would flood the air with LGBT people saying it's fab-u-lous etc. I actually feel they would be obliged to allow more LGBT on, than those who might agree with the "anti" opinion. It would be much harder for a broadcaster to shake an "anti-gay" image than an "pro-choice" image.

I don't mind what life choices people make, as long as they don't affect other people. LGBT adoption is where I draw the line, you made your choice, don't drag others into this too. Unless you want to adopt someone who's over 18...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wez wrote: »
    I'm not gay, disabled or a traveller, but huge corporations prevent the legal use of cannabis, which negatively affects the way many people live their lives. They are a lot more powerful than your church going crowd too. Besides, you're not thrown in jail for smoking a c0ck these days..

It would be the same, if the tables were turned and you had someone on talking about opposing gay marriage, they would flood the air with LGBT people saying it's fab-u-lous etc. I actually feel they would be obliged to allow more LGBT on, than those who might agree with the "anti" opinion. It would be much harder for a broadcaster to shake an "anti-gay" image than an "pro-choice" image.

I don't mind what life choices people make, as long as they don't affect other people. LGBT adoption is where I draw the line, you made your choice, don't drag others into this too. Unless you want to adopt someone who's over 18...

Your "choice" to believe that gay parents are somehow inferior to straight parents or a single parent directly affects Gay people who wish to adopt and provide a loving home to a child so good job at failing to live up to your own standards.

Also calling homosexuality a choice is a bigoted statement, note i'm not saying that your a bigot simply that you hold bigoted opinion's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that smoking cannabis was an immutable characteristic like sexuali--

Oh, you're one of those people who does think sexuality is a choice. Never mind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You're not comparing like with like at all.

In fact you seem to be unsure of what this thread is even about.

Advertisement