Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line - not suitable for children

Options
  • 06-12-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Brought my 9 year old son on it today. Heuston to the Point. He's too young to notice the junkies that keep to themselves but did notice the pair of junkies being frog marched off by STT after being told "you were seen on CCTV" whatever that means.

Return journey around 8pm, he was visibly frightened by the gangs, first of 8 feral children (between 7 and 12 y.o.) hurling abuse at junkies and throwing plastic bottles at them. They got off after a few stops to be replaced by another gang of scrotes, slightly older, who starting doing the same thing!

The Red Line really is a disgrace, and a lot of this is taking place within a short distance of Store Street Garda Station, but not a copper to be seen.

I won't be bringing him on the Red Line again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

I get the red line twice a day and a lot of the time its after 11.30pm. The gangs of kids are a nightmare and can be very intimidating. I wouldn't be bringing my kids on it in a hurry. But for the most part, I think STT do a good job. I wouldn't mess with those lads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I get the red line twice a day and a lot of the time its after 11.30pm. The gangs of kids are a nightmare and can be very intimidating. I wouldn't be bringing my kids on it in a hurry. But for the most part, I think STT do a good job. I wouldn't mess with those lads!!!

Sadly the STT presence is a smoke & mirrors PR job....their actual powers are largely similar to a member of the public,with the significant difference being they KNOW the extent of their remit.

The Red-Line remains resolutely set on its track-to-the-bottom,a situation which BXD could greatly accelerate if it's introduction is not suitably well managed.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sadly the STT presence is a smoke & mirrors PR job....their actual powers are largely similar to a member of the public,with the significant difference being they KNOW the extent of their remit.

The Red-Line remains resolutely set on its track-to-the-bottom,a situation which BXD could greatly accelerate if it's introduction is not suitably well managed.

With the absence of any actual police presence I'm very much in agreement. I think that Broombridge to Dame St will be more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭Tow

If we introduced the level of policing they have on the Paris Metro it would clean up. The current system where the ticket inspectors don't even bother to ask the junkies and et all is a disgrace.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sadly the STT presence is a smoke & mirrors PR job....their actual powers are largely similar to a member of the public, with the significant difference being they KNOW the extent of their remit.

The Red-Line remains resolutely set on its track-to-the-bottom, a situation which BXD could greatly accelerate if its introduction is not suitably well managed.
    Past is prologue; present even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

A DB inspector told me fines are a waste of time, to many bleeding hearts judges Let the perpetrators of crime/fare evasion off.(BOO HOO Their Life Is hard).
    The PC brigade let the low lives get away with murder.
    I’m have no doubt the LUAS is the same as DB.

Lugs Branigan is needed today to sort these low lives out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

n97 mini wrote: »
    Brought my 9 year old son on it today. Heuston to the Point. He's too young to notice the junkies that keep to themselves but did notice the pair of junkies being frog marched off by STT after being told "you were seen on CCTV" whatever that means.

Return journey around 8pm, he was visibly frightened by the gangs, first of 8 feral children (between 7 and 12 y.o.) hurling abuse at junkies and throwing plastic bottles at them. They got off after a few stops to be replaced by another gang of scrotes, slightly older, who starting doing the same thing!

So is your gripe with the antisocial behaviour on the red line or the efforts to police it?

AngryLips wrote: »
    So is your gripe with the antisocial behaviour on the red line or the efforts to police it?

See thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Completely agree. And it doesn't get any better once you're out of the city. I've been attacked on the Red Line around Citywest before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

I really feel that your problem is not with the luas red line but with the people who eminate from Dublin.

It is a shame to say but a city build on whoring, theiving, slums has given way to a society of junkies, robbers, louts and general scum. take issue with what the city has become and dont blame the luas. They do what they can with what resources they have. It is not their job to clean up the scum of society. that starts with parents, teachers and police. look to the civil service and their complete lack of social and moral values they have instilled into inner city dublin. look to the justice system that doesnt enforce stricter penalties on junkies. look to yourself for turning your nose up at the problem, rather then taking action in some form.

dublin has very few redeeming features. the luas is one of its better ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

lolosaur wrote: »
    I really feel that your problem is not with the luas red line but with the people who eminate from Dublin.

It is a shame to say but a city build on whoring, theiving, slums has given way to a society of junkies, robbers, louts and general scum. take issue with what the city has become and dont blame the luas. They do what they can with what resources they have. It is not their job to clean up the scum of society. that starts with parents, teachers and police. look to the civil service and their complete lack of social and moral values they have instilled into inner city dublin. look to the justice system that doesnt enforce stricter penalties on junkies. look to yourself for turning your nose up at the problem, rather then taking action in some form.

dublin has very few redeeming features. the luas is one of its better ones though.

All cities have these people the difference in Dublin is that they are entitled to travel for free, so they use it as a mobile pharmacy to sell, buy and take drugs on and to stay out of the cold.

The main difference is that these people have free reign we could blame the Gardai or their complete absence from public transport but then again even when Gardai do bring these people before courts they seem to be allowed to deliver their sob story and continue to terrorize the ordinary decent people going about their business.

A transport police is ultimately what is desperately needed and hard to believe that the government is prepared to spend hundreds of millions on tram systems and disrupt the entire city for years building them but never give a thought to making them secure for the people who paid for them to use them.

cdebru wrote: »
    All cities have these people the difference in Dublin is that they are entitled to travel for free, so they use it as a mobile pharmacy to sell, buy and take drugs on and to stay out of the cold.

The main difference is that these people have free reign we could blame the Gardai or their complete absence from public transport but then again even when Gardai do bring these people before courts they seem to be allowed to deliver their sob story and continue to terrorize the ordinary decent people going about their business.

A transport police is ultimately what is desperately needed and hard to believe that the government is prepared to spend hundreds of millions on tram systems and disrupt the entire city for years building them but never give a thought to making them secure for the people who paid for them to use them.

Cork, Kilkenny, Galway, Waterford. They dont have massive junkie commuting problems. they dont hav the little brats terrorising people on public transport either for the most part. in fact, junkies and knacker kid gangs are predominantly a dublin thing on public transport.

so we have gone from blaming luas to the govt and gardai. I reckon we could shoehorn in irish water for the blame too if e tried hard enough.

oh and for the record, the luas red line is not the last bastion of criminality in the city. 99% of its journeys are fine. you will get an extra amount of unsightly people as st. james' the methadone clinics,st. pats etc.. are on the line. but these are people too. you want to hide these people away where you cant see them or where your son cant see the harsh reality of the world he is growing up in. you cant do this my friend. These people never got the memo when you moved outof being schooled in a hedge, to going to private boarding schools.nobody ever gave any of these areas the time and space to develop and grow. and it will be them that breeds quicker than your ordinary decent dubliner. and then your town will truely be in the sh1tter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Completely agree. I've been to numerous cities all over the world and i dread having to go to Dublin for any reason.

It's a cesspit and has been for a long time.

we could blame the Gardai or their complete absence from public transport
    Whoever is responsible for a lack of policing on the Red Line in particular (but wider public transport) has a case to answer, be it the civil servants, the minister, the unions, whoever.
    but then again even when Gardai do bring these people before courts
    Policing would lead to prevention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Cork, Kilkenny, Galway, Waterford. They dont have massive junkie commuting problems. they dont hav the little brats terrorising people on public transport either for the most part. in fact, junkies and knacker kid gangs are predominantly a dublin thing on public transport.

so we have gone from blaming luas to the govt and gardai. I reckon we could shoehorn in irish water for the blame too if e tried hard enough.

oh and for the record, the luas red line is not the last bastion of criminality in the city. 99% of its journeys are fine. you will get an extra amount of unsightly people as st. james' the methadone clinics,st. pats etc.. are on the line. but these are people too. you want to hide these people away where you cant see them or where your son cant see the harsh reality of the world he is growing up in. you cant do this my friend. These people never got the memo when you moved outof being schooled in a hedge, to going to private boarding schools.nobody ever gave any of these areas the time and space to develop and grow. and it will be them that breeds quicker than your ordinary decent dubliner. and then your town will truely be in the sh1tter

Whats your point ? they also don't have trams and they are also significantly smaller than Dublin, Trams because of the way they operate where you can board and alight with zero interaction with any staff, where the driver is cocooned in a space at the very front attract an unsavoury element, the red line is passing through areas where that unsavoury element live and operate.

So, the ultimate responsibility for a skanger being a nuisance on public transport lies with the skanger, but I don't expect anytime soon that they are going to change their ways and see the light and behave like normal human beings, so where does that leave you ? With the Government who have ultimate responsibility for protecting the citizens of the state and who spent 100s of millions on a tram system and with the Gardai who the Government tasks with protecting the citizens and upholding the rule of law, sorry if you can't see that responsibility lies with them and not LUAS or the RPA or Transdev.

I don't want to hide them away, but I also don't want them to be allowed to intimidate and harass other people, I don't want them using public transport that 100s of millions of taxpayers money was spent on as a mobile drug dealing service, I don't want them shooting up, I don't want them fighting, I don't want them stealing, I don't want them shouting abuse at the top of their voices to each other or anyone else. If they stopped all that then they are as welcome as anyone else on public transport and if they won't stop it then they should be policed into stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Plenty of ****e happening on the green line too. Very confrontational begger at the st stephens green stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Plenty of ****e happening on the green line too. Very confrontational begger at the st stephens green stop.

Any stop south of the green is fine & the trams themselves perfectly fine too.
    (In my times using it).

The trams crawl with ticket inspectors & security staff...... Gotta work hard on all those office workers quietly reading kindles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

(In my times using it).

The trams crawl with ticket inspectors & security staff...... Gotta work hard on all those office workers quietly reading kindles.

Don't blame the staff here really. Why would you put yourself at risk confronting scummers when they are pretty much ignored by the justice system and sponsored by the government.

They'll get away with assaulting you because they are "poor unfortunates" with "tough lives" and you are the mean old taxpaying worker (boo!hiss!) and you'll still see them every day after ye have your day in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I noticed that the green line are getting late trams over the Christmas but none for the red line/ That says that the management know all about the issues and are just washing their hands of it, they will provide security and after the more high profile attacks and incidents they bombard the service with ticket checkers and survey takers and others in high vis vests then a week later its back to skanger central!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

(In my times using it).

So are you saying that there shouldn't be revenue protection checks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

The ticket checkers and security only have minimum powers, it should be the Garda policing the LUAS.
    Its a joke, a multi million euro piece of tax payer funded infrastructure where said tax payers are left to fend of the scum of Dublin on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

lxflyer wrote: »
    So are you saying that there shouldn't be revenue protection checks?
    Id say more revenue is lost from people who have given up on the Red Line than from a few fare evaders.

the christmas night luas was stopped becuse it cost too much to operate. bloody shame.

I guess the only redeeming feature of the recession just gone is the slight gentrification of inchicore, crumlin, drimnagh bluebell with downsizers. Every little helps. push the scangers, junkies and scumbags out to meath, longford and kildare. hurrah :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I noticed that the green line are getting late trams over the Christmas but none for the red line/ That says that the management know all about the issues and are just washing their hands of it, they will provide security and after the more high profile attacks and incidents they bombard the service with ticket checkers and survey takers and others in high vis vests then a week later its back to skanger central!

It's been like that for a few years now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mmmcake wrote: »
    Id say more revenue is lost from people who have given up on the Red Line than from a few fare evaders.

In all of this thread,this should be THE post which Transdev/RPA require fixed above their HQ.

It is so true of many people who,having tried the Public Transport option via Red Line,made a decision never to return...to Bus,Tram,Train or ANY mode which has "PUBLIC" attached to it. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There are lots and lots of problems on the red line and a lot less than 99% of the journeys are fine
    foggy_lad wrote: »

The trams are getting damaged during the day and the Gardaí aren't doing anything about it, apart from moving on people who cause thousands of Euro worth of damage and put several trams out of action. So why should the private company be forced to fix our social problems when the police force and government aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

you want to hide these people away where you cant see them or where your son cant see the harsh reality of the world he is growing up in.

Pretty much, yes. If they didn't have free transport and the ticket inspectors did their job I wouldn't have to interact with them, which would be just great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nermal wrote: »
    Pretty much, yes. If they didn't have free transport and the ticket inspectors did their job I wouldn't have to interact with them, which would be just great.
    most of them don't have free travel but will never pay for travel on the luas because to them it is a FREE for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Del2005 wrote: »
    why should the private company be forced to fix our social problems when the police force and government aren't?

why shouldn't they.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

why shouldn't they.

Have you seen the Robocop movie? Better to get regular police to sort things out before getting private companies in.

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement